The Joe Douglas Honeymoon

sec101row23

37 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Not paying Anderson is looking to be the biggest strike against Douglas.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think it's part of a larger, composite mistake - Mismanagement of the WR position with a QB you've said you're trying to support and who you need to assess.

Counting on yet another WR2 (Perriman) who has an injury history to be your WR1, counting on a late 2nd round rookie (Mims) to be your WR2, and not adding depth with reasonable NFL experience until you were forced to (Hogan) looks like a gross miscalculation.  It looks worse given the depth of this previous Draft and when a team like Dallas is taking CeeDee Lamb to be it's WR3 or WR4 this season.

Joe gets a solid B+ from me for the OLine offseason.  The WR offseason is looking like a D+ right now.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jesus.  This is not a statement you can make yet.  None of them have seen the field yet.  Why do people fail to grasp this?

Yet you made it a couple games in for Q coming off a high ankle sprain.

Your hypocrisy is an insult to every jet fan on this board.

I posted something similar last week to what I'm writing now.

Douglas, by his actions, has indicated a desire that he wants to build the offensive line as his first priority. Signed a bunch of offensive linemen in free agency and then followed that up with a rookie left tackle with his first ever draft pick as a GM. I think that Douglas has correctly diagnosed that Darnold was not given the space required in the pocket to execute plays, and he's set himself to correct that. Some of the players he signed (like Kalil) were a mistake, but I think he's on the right track. We saw how Dallas turned Prescott from a bit of a flyer in the middle rounds of the draft into a competent quarterback in his first season by putting a strong offensive line in front of him, and even over 10 years ago, when Tannenbaum had Ferguson, Mangold and Faneca in front of Sanchez, we saw what a strong offensive line can do for an average QB.

But I do think Douglas has whiffed on the offensive skill position players to a certain extent. Griffin got extended last season on the back of some strong tight end play but he's completely disappeared from view, while Herndon is busy dropping touchdown passes. Douglas has obviously bowed to the wishes of his coach by signing Frank Gore and Kallen Ballage off the street when none of the 31 other teams would have signed either of them. Perriman seems to have been signed off the back of his month-long purple patch with the Buccaneers when Evans and Godwin were both injured, and Perriman has turned back into a pumpkin overnight, yet again seemingly proving the adage that you shouldn't pay for the outlier in performance.

It might have been a combination of good luck and good management that allowed Douglas to scoop up a sliding Mims in the draft, but I have to think that spending a fourth round pick on Morgan was a mistake at the time the pick was made and it's even more egregious now. Morgan can't help this team, but another receiver like Quintez Cephus (available on the board when Morgan was selected) could have helped this team now.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Jet said:

Cephus is not the answer, but he had three catches for 54 yards today in the absence of Kenny Golladay. Did Morgan even suit up today or was he inactive?

He is currently our 4th string QB behind White and Flacco.

Jesus.  This is not a statement you can make yet.  None of them have seen the field yet.  Why do people fail to grasp this?

Because they are looking around the league and seeing an impact being made by other teams draft picks. Let alone his terrible free agent decisions. Final strike is his public support for this terrible coaching staff.

Just now, RSJ said:

Because they are looking around the league and seeing an impact being made by other teams draft picks. Let alone his terrible free agent decisions. Final strike is his public support for this terrible coaching staff.

Yes lets fire him and let the Johnson's hire a new GM.  Great plan.  

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I hope JD enjoys the remainder of his honeymoon.  The question is just how much longer that will be?   He will have the chance to fire Gase and get his guy, but this honeymoon definitly has an expiration date.  There is deserved criticism thus far, but it’s early.   I’ll reserve judgement on him for now.  

The way power is structured in this clown franchise, I don’t think he can fire Gase. I think Chris Johnson hast to do that.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I didn't mention Becton. But since you did, you show admirable self-awareness as to the soft underbelly of your position. Kudos.

You didn’t answer my question. I may have mixed you up with another poster claiming Drafting Becton alone is more than Idzik ever achieved. 

Point still stands. We’ve gotten from bad to worse over the last two years. 2018 to 2019 was all on Mac but 2019 to 2020 is all on JD given that he’s been on the job 1.5 years. The direction of the franchise is not there. Just because he re-did the OL doesn’t mean he fixed it. It’s still garbage. And probably cuz he wanted basement bargain guys. You get what you pay for (mostly). 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I mean if they brought in a proven head coach and put Douglas in the back seat it wouldnt be the worst plan ever.

All because of a 1st draft class that hasn't immediately become a massive success (to you), 2 weeks into the 2020 season.  Yikes.

He signed a 6-year deal.  He's the guy to run things until, at minimum, 2023.  You're going to have to just deal with that.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think it's part of a larger, composite mistake - Mismanagement of the WR position with a QB you've said you're trying to support and who you need to assess.

Counting on yet another WR2 (Perriman) who has an injury history to be your WR1, counting on a late 2nd round rookie (Mims) to be your WR2, and not adding depth with reasonable NFL experience until you were forced to (Hogan) looks like a gross miscalculation.  It looks worse given the depth of this previous Draft and when a team like Dallas is taking CeeDee Lamb to be it's WR3 or WR4 this season.

Joe gets a solid B+ from me for the OLine offseason.  The WR offseason is looking like a D+ right now.

It’s a good analysis. I still think Harrison should be the center and what’s happened at WR/TE is unfortunate health wise but it doesn’t break JDs way and yet it doesn’t matter. What they are throwing out there is pop Warner 

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All because of a 1st draft class that hasn't immediately become a massive success (to you), 2 weeks into the 2020 season.  Yikes.

He signed a 6-year deal.  He's the guy to run things until, at minimum, 2023.  You're going to have to just deal with that.

Becton alone was a heist — and a risky pick too. If Any Of the injured guys come through — Mims or Zuniga, it’s cream. Mann was a very smart pick too

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, CTM said:

Douglas, despite your boy crush, has not proven himself at all as of yet.

If we're going to confine ourselves to the plausible, the coming offseason was always going to be when Douglas proves himself or doesn't. I mean from a Jets football perspective the most consequential thing he's done so far is probably passing on Jordan Love, but that's not even a blip as far as Douglas's own incentives.

2 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

If we're going to confine ourselves to the plausible, the coming offseason was always going to be when Douglas proves himself or doesn't. I mean from a Jets football perspective the most consequential thing he's done so far is probably passing on Jordan Love, but that's not even a blip as far as Douglas's own incentives.

My point is despite 80's underoos being wet over JD, the guy hasn't proven anything and if the team is non competitive this year and sucks again next year again he'll be on the hot seat by Thanksgiving. I'm not sure how that is a controversial statement.

80 thinks because they kept Mac too long, and they did, that they will keep JD too long. All I did was reminded him that from a Johnson's perspective Mac had a ton of credibility and a proven track record .after year 1, JD, under the scenario described will have neither.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, CTM said:

My point is despite 80's underoos being wet over JD, the guy hasn't proven anything and if the team is non competitive this year and sucks again next year again he'll be on the hot seat by Thanksgiving. I'm not sure how that is a controversial statement.

80 thinks because they kept Mac too long, and they did, that they will keep JD too long. All I did was reminded him that from a Johnson's perspective Mac had a ton of credibility and a proven track record .after year 1, JD, under the scenario described will have neither.

Except Douglas is respected by the league whereas Macc was about to be fired by the Texans.

The Johnson's stupidity certainly plays a major role in whatever happens next, unfortunately.  But them giving Douglas a 6-year contract guarantees that, financially, they're not getting rid of him until, at earliest, the end of the 2022 season.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Except Douglas is respected by the league whereas Macc was about to be fired by the Texans.

The Johnson's stupidity certainly plays a major role, but them giving Douglas a 6-year contract guarantees that, financially, they're not getting rid of him until, at earliest, the end of the 2022 season.  

Oh come on.. Ron Wolf is in the Hof and has 3 SB titles. Charlie Casserly is kind of a boob but somewhat respected. Both were on the NFL's Career Development Advisory Panel, 2 of 8 members. These are the guys that recommended Mac.

How your takeaway of that is Mac wasn't respected is beyond me. The guy was absolutely abysmal at his job but doesn't change the fact that 2 guys well entrenched in the league selected him

1 minute ago, CTM said:

Oh come on.. Ron Wolf is in the Hof and has 3 SB titles. Charlie Casserly is kind of a boob but somewhat respected. Both were on the NFL's Career Development Advisory Panel, 2 of 8 members. These are the guys that recommended Mac.

How your takeaway of that is Mac wasn't respected is beyond me. The guy was absolutely abysmal at his job but doesn't change the fact that 2 guys well entrenched in the league selected him

That doesn't change the reports that he was about to be fired by the Texans.  I don't know how 2 well-respected football people got that way wrong.  But part of it might be having to do with them having basically zero accountability for the decision if they got it wrong.  

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Yep. 

Once we didn't resign Anderson (who I wanted back), I screamed for the rest of the offseason about trading for a veteran WR for this very reason. It was already obvious that our 1st round pick was going to be an OT and I didn't think it was wise to rely on Perriman, a rookie 2nd round draft pick, and Vyncint Smith in Darnold's third year. Obviously, Crowder and Mims both being hurt have destroyed us, but I thought our WR corps was obviously inadequate, even with a healthy Crowder.

We have nothing on the outside. Nothing. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That doesn't change the reports that he was about to be fired by the Texans.  I don't know how 2 well-respected football people got that way wrong.  But part of it might be having to do with them having basically zero accountability for the decision if they got it wrong.  

I also think, in the NFL, there is a very fine line between being good at your job and being bad. It's just a highly competitive league that is hard to predict. Lot's of highly respected underlings have failed big time once given a HC or GM job. It happens.

The problem with our owners is, it ALWAYS happens to them. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That doesn't change the reports that he was about to be fired by the Texans.  

Dumb criteria.

Recent SB winning coaches:

Reid: Fired by Eagles

Belichick: fired by the Browns

Pederson: Not fired to my knowledge

Kubiak: Fired by Texans

Carrol: Fired by Jets and Pats

41 minutes ago, Jethead said:

How about comparing Joe Douglas to John Lynch?

I'd take Lynch every day of the week.

Well yeah but that isn't exactly an indictment of Douglas.  Lynch is proving to be a top 5 or so GM in the league already.  Kittle, Bosa, Mike McGlinchey, Fred Warner, Deebo Samuel....he's had some great hauls in his 4 drafts to date.