Darnold with telling nugget in otherwise boring press conference

JetFreak89

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Yup, Gase isn't getting the message.  The QB shouldn't have to constantly be going to his HC to correct him..... it's supposed to be the other way around IF you have the right coach.

I’d prefer it if gase and the team didn’t even watch “film” but instead watched SNF to see what football is supposed to look like. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

If you guys really think that playing quarterback is as easy as a One Neat Trick banner ad, it makes sense that you think Darnold can do it. But it isn't and he can't.

If you really think that pre snap motion is a "One Neat Trick" you should just stop watching football and, in turn, delete your account on this forum.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

There are group of posters who swear that Darnold has mislead them while being literally strangled by Gase's so called "coaching".

Their response is that Gase is somehow protecting Sam.. That is a laugh, what is Gase protecting Sam from, the offense being the 33rd best offense in a 32 team league!

Others say fight back, you mean fight against the petty HC who has been skillful in minimizing HOF talent before and who was able to get his own GM fired?

It is a joke and I knew that the Jets as an organization were not yet committed internally to structural change when they essentially said "why would bring in a football Czar like a Mike Shannahan to run things? Hmmmmmmmm.....Cause you DON'T know football, that is why!!!

So then we have a final group of fans who now want to give Gase yet ANOTHER young QB to bring in, ruin him and then have him as the HC under those circumstances for an additional 3 to 4 YEARS!

Utter Madness!

And no, while you can't keep changing HCs every year, if you have any sense at all you don't stick with a poor decision just because you made it!

Dude, f*cking awesome post.  POTY material.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

That, or he’s already done it and been burned.

As someone who asks forgiveness more than he asks permission, I can recognize a dog that’s been brow beaten into going with the flow.

Frankly, Sam is too young and has been faced with too much volatility to also be expected to manage up. It’s a rather naive take, 80.

Its his 3rd season in the NFL as a pro QB.  The "he's young" excuses are not really relevant anymore. 

Whether there's more to it or not behind the scenes, it seems pretty clear he doesn't have a lot of toughness or fight in him necessary to play the position at a high level.  And that's independent of Gase's awfulness.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

So we have a final group of fans who now want to Gase yet ANOTHER young QB to bring in ruin him and then have him as the HC under those circumstances for an additional 3 to 4 YEARS!

Arizona is looking like they regret changing coaches after 1 year...this stupid idea that firing a coach too early will make the job unattractive is utter insanity. The job was already unattractive. If you're not doing it frequently then coaches don't really care that much if you fired a guy after a year. 

If you don't have the right guy, you get the right guy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Vader said:

He obviously didn’t know that

Or I do know that: 1) the defense can show man and be in zone, or vice versa, whether you put a guy in motion or not, 2) anything you think you can just do for free information can be exploited, and 3) adding a layer of complexity never favors stupid quarterbacks or goofballs on the internet.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Have gone ob=ver this a hundred times, ove and over, in my head:   We just picked the wrong QB.  Again.   Time will prove me right or wrong.  But I think we augured in on the Darnold pick.

Yes agreed .  Don't single out a 4 and 1.  Sam is not making plays period and looks like he is totally overwhelmed out there.  I feel Sam is almost in a state of panic because he has been told how good he is his entire life.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Its his 3rd season in the NFL as a pro QB.  The "he's young" excuses are not really relevant anymore. 

Whether there's more to it or not behind the scenes, it seems pretty clear he doesn't have a lot of toughness or fight in him necessary to play the position at a high level.  And that's independent of Gase's awfulness.

Look at his date of birth, dufus. He is young. Most people trust their boss when they’re under 25. 

Only JN takes worse than Pac

42 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

He’s a film guy. He sees nothing on the field. He wasn’t Peyton Manning’s OC. He was his video assistant. 

He barely looks at the field. His stupid face is hunched over into those damn papers he’s always fiddling around with 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

Darnold had his usual non-descript press conference which is whatever but when asked if he has the ability to audible to a QB sneak on that 4th and 1 play or had to stick with the play called, he answered "stick with the play".

It's year 3 and year 2 with Gase. Gase has got to go!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Definitely caught that in the press conference and hoped I wasn't the only one that heard it.

4 hours ago, Drums said:

Looking back, probably should have kept McCown for at least another year 

Of course we should have instead we get a GASE guy who looked like he couldn't us a first down!  It is a joke!

Ssam Darnold liked McCown, they get rid of him, has chemistry with RA get rid of him for a guy who is ALWAYS INJURED! and then get rid of his best friend on the team his OLman and this was supposed to help him????

It is a sickness!

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Look at his date of birth, dufus. He is young. Most people trust their boss when they’re under 25. 

Only JN takes worse than Pac

And I say again, age doesn't mean much when you're in your 3rd season.  Age is not an excuse any longer. 

He has 28 NFL starts under his belt and has 14 more this season to show Joe Douglas he's worth $30M+ per season.  I doubt Douglas will say "Meh, he's young, let's roll the dice that he'll look better when he's 25".

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A QB sometimes has to fight back against his own coach, and say "this is what we're going to do here."  Darnold doesn't have that fight in him.

Any FQB has the ability to disagree. In Jet Land, when the owner publicly states that said HC is “a brilliant offensive mind” Sam is between the rock and the hard spot.

26 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Of course we should have instead we get a GASE guy who looked like he couldn't us a first down!  It is a joke!

Ssam Darnold like McCown, they get rid of him, has chemistry with RA get rid of him for a guy who is ALWAYS INJURED! and the get rid of his best friend on the team his OLman and this was supposed to help him????

It is a sickness!

He had zero chemistry with RA. They were literally one of the worst QB WR combos in the NFL last year based on catch %.

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He had zero chemistry with RA. They were literally one of the worst QB WR combos in the NFL last year based on catch %.

That's because Sam throws a terribly inaccurate deep ball.  Robby wanted out.  Reportedly, he took less money to accomplish this.

• Upvote 2