Trade Compensation for Sam/ #1 overall pick

Rhg1084

Ok so this might be premature since it’s only 2 weeks in, or not? However the Jets look like they’re on the fast track to the #1 overall pick. I honestly think 0-16 could be in the cards.

Now with that being said - Douglas will obviously have a career altering decision to make. Does he keep Sam and trade the #1 overall pick? He could possibly land like 3 1st round picks in a deal like that. 

Or should he trade Sam and take Lawrence.

Even with everything that’s happened, and we have to see how the rest of the season plays out. But, what could we get for Sam? A 1st? 

id choose option A and trade the 1st pick and just have a plethora of picks and cap space to build around Sam. Putting Lawrence in this situation would be the same exact result. We’d have like 6 first round picks the next 3 years to build around Sam 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

If we land the #1 overall pick we still have 3 more first rounders to use in the next 2 years. You take the generational QB. No one is going to trade for Darnold, his reputation around the league is that he's a bottom tier QB, with bad fundamentals, who needs development. Every team has one of those on their roster already.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

Ok so this might be premature since it’s only 2 weeks in, or not? However the Jets look like they’re on the fast track to the #1 overall pick. I honestly think 0-16 could be in the cards.
Now with that being said - Douglas will obviously have a career altering decision to make. Does he keep Sam and trade the #1 overall pick? He could possibly land like 3 1st round picks in a deal like that. 

Or should he trade Sam and take Lawrence.
Even with everything that’s happened, and we have to see how the rest of the season plays out. But, what could we get for Sam? A 1st? 

id choose option A and trade the 1st pick and just have a plethora of picks and cap space and build around Sam. Putting Lawrence in this situation would be the same exact result. We’d have like 6 first round picks the next 3 years to build around Sam 

If you earn that pick, you make that pick. The more interesting scenario is if the Jets finish with lets say the 5 pick and Sam plays decent enough to show some promise because there are like 3 or 4 QBs that will be picked in the top 10 this year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If the Jets have the number 1 overall pick, you draft Trevor Lawrence. Then you trade Sam Darnold for whatever you can get.

My fear is that Trevor Lawrence might not want to come here if we are the team with the 1st pick. I'd be worried that he and his agent might try and convince the Jets not to take him by saying he won't sign or something. A new Head Coach would help with that. Get rid of Gase. The sooner the better.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

It’s sad cause I love Sam and think he will be successful in this league. Talk about getting a raw deal. However if Lawrence really is a “can’t miss” prospect at least we’re getting him in here on a rookie contract at the start of a true rebuild. He’ll have his franchise LT in place already, hopefully get him some good coaching and weapons 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

If the Jets have the number 1 overall pick, you draft Trevor Lawrence. Then you trade Sam Darnold for whatever you can get.
My fear is that Trevor Lawrence might not want to come here if we are the team with the 1st pick. I'd be worried that he and his agent might try and convince the Jets not to take him by saying he won't sign or something. A new Head Coach would help with that. Get rid of Gase. The sooner the better.

I actually had the same thought. Its why the Jets may want to just let it play out with Gase this season. Then try to work with Lawrence and his agent to get a coach he is comfortable with and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

This. There is zero trade value for Sam Darnold. Somebody please give me the team and what they’re giving up to get him.

The Browns. They make bad decisions since their existence. What they give us? Not sure. But I do know its more than hes worth. They took Baker Mayfield #1 overall 

Ryan Gosling Lol GIF

18 minutes ago, Icer said:

If we land the #1 overall pick we still have 3 more first rounders to use in the next 2 years. You take the generational QB. No one is going to trade for Darnold, his reputation around the league is that he's a bottom tier QB, with bad fundamentals, who needs development. Every team has one of those on their roster already.

maybe thats when Adam Gase effect comes in and we can get a 2nd for him

If we get the number one overall pick sam's value will be low. The pick would be worth a fortune that could change the tide of our franchise. One thing to remember is that each prospect is an unproven talent and if we draft a QB he could end up being worse than darnold anyway. I still have faith in darnold we have seen him do the kind of things that most qbs can not and unfortunately we have done him no favors since drafting him. We put him being one of the worst offensive lines the nfl has ever seen and than in a hold my beer moment we gave him the worst set of offensive weapons the league has ever seen while only applying a patch to half the line. The one justice we did for him was draft a left tackle high. If we trade the pick we could provide darnold with a few solid chances at the tools he would need to succeed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

28 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Same was said about Sam 

Lawrence is a superior prospect to Darnold, by a substantial margin.  That will be fully apparent after the evaluation process. 

It's also important to note that Lawrence will finish his college career with over 40 starts. Darnold only had 27.

7 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

If we get the number one overall pick sam's value will be low. The pick would be worth a fortune that could change the tide of our franchise. One thing to remember is that each prospect is an unproven talent and if we draft a QB he could end up being worse than darnold anyway. I still have faith in darnold we have seen him do the kind of things that most qbs can not and unfortunately we have done him no favors since drafting him. We put him being one of the worst offensive lines the nfl has ever seen and than in a hold my beer moment we gave him the worst set of offensive weapons the league has ever seen while only applying a patch to half the line. The one justice we did for him was draft a left tackle high. If we trade the pick we could provide darnold with a few solid chances at the tools he would need to succeed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

This post is gross. No offense

26 minutes ago, choon328 said:

If the season keeps going the way its going they can not pass up on a QB. Trade Darnold for a bag of footballs and move on. 

Agreed, and I’m as big a fan of Darnold as any.  I think they’ve already destroyed him.  Kid NEVER had a chance.  He looked like a Franchise QB doing it all by himself his Rookie year.  In fact he looked so much better than he does in Year 3 as a Rookie.

I know it seems like centuries ago but Tony Romo actually had him pegged as the #1 QB in the league...quickly..,without him even seeing his first pro action.  Didn’t take long for the Johnson’s and their horrific management choices to destroy that.

I think it won’t be long until he his hurt and out for the season anyway.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

a 1st...your sense for player value is as good as Gase's offensive genius

I mean Sam Bradford was traded for a 1st round pick on two different occasions. QBs usually have higher value. If Sam could have a strong season it’s not out of realm of possibility