Trade Compensation for Sam/ #1 overall pick

Rhg1084

We will trade the 1st overall pick for multiple picks. Only 1 player out of all the picks the next 2 years will pan out. He will eventually be traded like Keyshawn, Adams, Abraham, Revis, Moss, Coles, etc. Sunshine will then become the next Elway/Manning. We will sign Sam to a 5 year 150 million dollar contract and he will be released after year 3. 

50 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If we get the #1 overall selection, the pick will be Trevor. Whether we like it or not, you cannot pass on him.

Sure you can pass. Sam is a better passer than Trevor. Pass. Take the picks. Build through the draft. This team needs young talent. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

I would not draft lawrence at all at #1, I'd trade for a buckets of picks and over the next two years build an actual team then i would decide to keep darnold if he has progressed or get a new QB.

Putting lawrence on this team with gase and no talent upgrade which will take a few years and he will be host in two years.

(I also do not think Lawrence is at all in the can't miss range of QB.)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean Sam Bradford was traded for a 1st round pick on two different occasions. QBs usually have higher value. If Sam could have a strong season it’s not out of realm of possibility 

Sam Bradford picture should be on US currency.  He's the George Washington of the rookie salary cap.  That's why it's not going to happen again. 

Trade him for a 2nd by the trade deadline. Some desperate team will be willing to because they know the jets are a true black hole and QB is the most important position. Then proceed to these next steps:

1. Fire Gase Mid season to get jump on head coach search.

2. Have useless trash owners immediately announce that they are no longer meddling and that JD has full control over all decisions so potential coaches will actually consider the Jets.

3. Do not waste money on Free Agents besides short term band aids, non-impact positions and value free agents because we cannot get top tier free agents without them cashing in and quitting. We have to EARN respect before this is even considered and use cap for home grown talent AND becoming a destination for taking other other teams’ bad contracts and salary dumps to acquire more draft picks. Basically leverage our cap space for additional draft picks.

4. Draft a top college QB like Lawrence. 

5. Prioritize offensive positions and premium positions in the draft. 

6. New coaches install new offense and defense as we build a core under the correct coach (hopefully).

7. Continue this approach as we earn respect and attract free agents by 2023 offseason when we can actually make a playoff push.

8. Fly a “Fire Mac” plane around Met Life Stadium every day for fun. 

9. Have a pizza party to celebrate. 

That’s is. I’m available whenever the Jets want to hire me. 

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I would not draft lawrence at all at #1, I'd trade for a buckets of picks and over the next two years build an actual team then i would decide to keep darnold if he has progressed or get a new QB.

Putting lawrence on this team with gase and no talent upgrade which will take a few years and he will be host in two years.

I pretty much agree and I’m torn with the idea of drafting Lawrence because I strongly believe that you need a strong team BEFORE drafting a young QB (which contradicts my last post). However, we would not see the #1 pick anytime soon after next year if all goes well and if he’s truly a great can’t miss prospect, I think you have to draft him and unfortunately waste 1 year of his rookie deal.

Those first 2 years of the rebuild would have to heavily prioritize offense so the young QB can grow at nearly the same rate as if he was drafted on an already good team. The defense would suck but allow the QB to get plenty of reps for growth and at least get their system in place as they build a basic core and then shift resources more towards that side of the ball in year 3 of the QB’s development as you push for playoffs. 

Ideally, I agree with you 100%. We just may be in a unique position next year and I was laying out a plan that went with how most of the board feels about drafting Lawrence If presented with the opportunity. 

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Ok so this might be premature since it’s only 2 weeks in, or not? However the Jets look like they’re on the fast track to the #1 overall pick. I honestly think 0-16 could be in the cards.

Now with that being said - Douglas will obviously have a career altering decision to make. Does he keep Sam and trade the #1 overall pick? He could possibly land like 3 1st round picks in a deal like that. 

Or should he trade Sam and take Lawrence.

Even with everything that’s happened, and we have to see how the rest of the season plays out. But, what could we get for Sam? A 1st? 

id choose option A and trade the 1st pick and just have a plethora of picks and cap space to build around Sam. Putting Lawrence in this situation would be the same exact result. We’d have like 6 first round picks the next 3 years to build around Sam 

Of whoever takes Sam take Gase in the deal, i would do it for bag of worn sweat socks. 

Sam looked fine today. My belief in him was shaken for the first time last week.  I’m glad we have the rest of the season to see how Sam plays.  Btw the Jets always win some garbage games. 

The OL seems improved. 

The Jets will look much different 4 games from now when they have Crowder, Mims, Bell, Perriman and the 5 new starting OL have some time together.  I think Sam will be a FQB for someone. 

They should be competitive vs weaker opponents.

I honestly hope we don’t get #1 so we don’t have to make this decision. 

Right now if we did I’d trade the pick for an RG3 haul adding to our Jamal Adams haul. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

It’s sad cause I love Sam and think he will be successful in this league. Talk about getting a raw deal. However if Lawrence really is a “can’t miss” prospect at least we’re getting him in here on a rookie contract at the start of a true rebuild. He’ll have his franchise LT in place already, hopefully get him some good coaching and weapons 

Pretty much how I feel.

Between the cap space, top tier HC, and draft capital we would have, Trevor would be walking into a very good situation to grow.  The saddest part is I still believe in Sam.  I just think the political aspect of the game is going to have him kicked to the curb for Joe's "guy".

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Sure you can pass. Sam is a better passer than Trevor. Pass. Take the picks. Build through the draft. This team needs young talent. 

This is 110% wrong.  Trevor can do everything that Sam can do, but better and with more experience than Sam had coming out of college.  

He's fantastic on the move.

He has an absolute laser of an arm.

He's hyper accurate throwing to all three levels of the field (short, intermediate, & deep).

He's incredibly cerebral.

He's a fantastic leader.

He has phenomenal size.

His mechanics are clean as can be.

His physical tools are off the charts.

He's improved, statistically, every year he's been on a football field.

Lastly, he's a winner.  That National Championship from last year was the first game he's lost since Pop-Warner.

Lawrence is everything Luck was as a prospect, maybe even better.  

I have loved Sam since his first year at USC.  Lawrence cannot be passed on.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If the Jets have the number 1 overall pick, you draft Trevor Lawrence. Then you trade Sam Darnold for whatever you can get.

My fear is that Trevor Lawrence might not want to come here if we are the team with the 1st pick. I'd be worried that he and his agent might try and convince the Jets not to take him by saying he won't sign or something. A new Head Coach would help with that. Get rid of Gase. The sooner the better.

If we get the number one pick you can bet that Gase will be gone and we will hire a quarterback friendly offensive guru, perhaps from the college ranks.  Believe me they will do everything they can to have a Quarterback Whisperer for a Coach.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Pretty much how I feel.

Between the cap space, top tier HC, and draft capital we would have, Trevor would be walking into a very good situation to grow.  The saddest part is I still believe in Sam.  I just think the political aspect of the game is going to have him kicked to the curb for Joe's "guy".

The "political" aspect wouldn't matter if Darnold could prove he's the guy beyond a shadow of a doubt.  If he's just "meh", a GM will go with "his guy" every time, and is right to do so. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This is 110% wrong.  Trevor can do everything that Sam can do, but better and with more experience than Sam had coming out of college.  

He's fantastic on the move.

He has an absolute laser of an arm.

He's hyper accurate throwing to all three levels of the field (short, intermediate, & deep).

He's incredibly cerebral.

He's a fantastic leader.

He has phenomenal size.

His mechanics are clean as can be.

His physical tools are off the charts.

He's improved, statistically, every year he's been on a football field.

Lastly, he's a winner.  That National Championship from last year was the first game he's lost since Pop-Warner.

Lawrence is everything Luck was as a prospect, maybe even better.  

I have loved Sam since his first year at USC.  Lawrence cannot be passed on.

Sounds like you’re hitting on him. To each their own. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

You keep Sam after drafting Lawrence.  You need someone to take the bullets for another year until JD can build a real team.

Who knows?  With another coach maybe Sam can build some real value and you get something for him after his fourth year.

The problem is after this year the team will be have to decide if they want to pick up his 5th yr option which I read somewhere would be 25million.  

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What makes you think Gase will be on the team if we have the number one pick?    Do you really think JD will keep him around to screw up the next QB?    

25 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

JD should be shopping Sam Darnold tonight. 

Lets see what James Morgan has and if he's bad Joe Flacco will be back soon. 

@Wonderboy  has anyone checked your ID to see in fact if you are over 13. 

Didn’t you just Complain about one of his points questioning your IQ? Now your questions his age? Both need to stop. 

• Upvote 1