Trade Compensation for Sam/ #1 overall pick

Rhg1084

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The "political" aspect wouldn't matter if Darnold could prove he's the guy beyond a shadow of a doubt.  If he's just "meh", a GM will go with "his guy" every time, and is right to do so. 

There's so much that plays into the political side, I could make a ten page thesis paper on it.  

To save the bandwidth, I'll say this:

If we end up with the #1 overall pick, Joe should absolutely be given free reign to select Lawrence.  If we are willed by Sam to something like 6th overall???  I am not going to be happy with taking Fields or Lance.  I like them both as future prospects, but I don't believe they are ready.  If they are the only two options, build the team up, finish Sam's contract and see where he's at in 2 or more years.  Given what Joe decided to give Sam this year as far as talent and coaching goes, being willed to anything other than the first overall pick should be enough proof there's still salvageable talent there.  I don't really feel like being on the Phillip Rivers end of a Brees-Rivers situation because Joe has his nipples in a twist due to Darnold not being his "guy".

• Upvote 2

Not close to being ready to give up on Sam.  Trevor Lawrence isn't doing anything with Gase and this arsenal either.

The correct move would be to fire Gase by mid-season to get an early start on the HC search, trade the #1 overall for a #1 WR and a bevy of picks including 2 #1's, and surround Sam with a legitimate offense and more importantly competent coaching. 

You dump Sam and he will thrive elsewhere. 

• Post of the Week 2

It’s a tough decision. If he falls in love with any of these QBs than he needs to pick him.

We can’t keep putting QBs in these horrible positions. I would trade back for a haul and increase the talent around the QB.

If Darnold continues to suck, he still has 3 years left on his 6 year deal. He can grab a QB in 2022. But by then, our team will be able to support a rookie QB.

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

There's so much that plays into the political side, I could make a ten page thesis paper on it.  

To save the bandwidth, I'll say this:

If we end up with the #1 overall pick, Joe should absolutely be given free reign to select Lawrence.  If we are willed by Sam to something like 6th overall???  I am not going to be happy with taking Fields or Lance.  I like them both as future prospects, but I don't believe they are ready.  If they are the only two options, build the team up, finish Sam's contract and see where he's at in 2 or more years.  Given what Joe decided to give Sam this year as far as talent and coaching goes, being willed to anything other than the first overall pick should be enough proof there's still salvageable talent there.  I don't really feel like being on the Phillip Rivers end of a Brees-Rivers situation because Joe has his nipples in a twist due to Darnold not being his "guy".

take lawrence, use a few day 2 picks to improve the weapons and the OL and darnold will land somewhere.  that's the nfl.

Ok so this might be premature since it’s only 2 weeks in, or not? However the Jets look like they’re on the fast track to the #1 overall pick. I honestly think 0-16 could be in the cards.
Now with that being said - Douglas will obviously have a career altering decision to make. Does he keep Sam and trade the #1 overall pick? He could possibly land like 3 1st round picks in a deal like that. 

Or should he trade Sam and take Lawrence.
Even with everything that’s happened, and we have to see how the rest of the season plays out. But, what could we get for Sam? A 1st? 

id choose option A and trade the 1st pick and just have a plethora of picks and cap space to build around Sam. Putting Lawrence in this situation would be the same exact result. We’d have like 6 first round picks the next 3 years to build around Sam 
Keep Sam .. let them compete .. option Sam's fifth year and trade him before 2022 draft for picks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Yeah I guess with this group, anything is possible. 

The owner loves him and the GM was essentially hired by gase.

As i said in another thread, huge test for douglas.

If Douglas does convince the owner to fire gase then i will know we for sure have a real gm.

15 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

You guys are like vultures. You’d trade your mother for Trevor

Trevor himself is irrelevant.  I have no emotional attachment to him at present.  All I know is that the New York Jets, despite spending 4 high picks just 3 years ago on one, are still in need of a QB.  As QB is the most important position on the field, I would like this addressed at the next possible opportunity, if that is Trevor, great.  If it's Fields, great.  If it's Lance, great.  But, it has to be someone because we still don't have a QB.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The owner loves him and the GM was essentially hired by gase.

As i said in another thread, huge test for douglas.

If Douglas does convince the owner to fire gase then i will know we for sure have a real gm.

Really weird scenario. Macc hires Gase who in turn gets Macc fired. Gase gets JD hired who in turn will eventually get Gase fired. Only the Jets. This is why you hire a football operations guy to hire a GM who hires his coach. This is one backwards azz organization. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Trevor himself is irrelevant.  I have no emotional attachment to him at present.  All I know is that the New York Jets, despite spending 4 high picks just 3 years ago on one, are still in need of a QB.  As QB is the most important position on the field, I would like this addressed at the next possible opportunity, if that is Trevor, great.  If it's Fields, great.  If it's Lance, great.  But, it has to be someone because we still don't have a QB.

I strenuously object. Hahhhaaaa

you guys can’t handle the truth. Sam is the truth.....the light and the way!

10 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

I strenuously object. Hahhhaaaa

you guys can’t handle the truth. Sam is the truth.....the light and the way!

I mean, on my side is his stats, his performance, his record, and the eye test.

On your side is hypotheticals and blaming others.

But, I can't handle the truth.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, on my side is his stats, his performance, his record, and the eye test.

On your side is hypotheticals and blaming others.

But, I can't handle the truth.

Go see an optometrist.  ? You need to LOOK at the big picture. Sam has a sh*t coach. Lack of overall talent surrounding him and a half azz defense so he’s forced to constantly play from behind. He missed the first half of his 2nd season yet came back and led Jets to a 6-2 record. He lost RA and has a new OL that needs to gel, and it’s still lacks viable talent at the G position.  He has a slew of 3rd string wr’s to throw to and injuries to his top WR’s. No speed at the RB position and now Bell and Perine are injured. 2 TE’s that haven’t played in a year. I mean what the heck you expect? But it’s all Sam’s fault right. These are not hypothetical points but fact based unfathomable truths. 

6 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Go see an optometrist.  ? You need to LOOK at the big picture. Sam has a sh*t coach. Lack of overall talent surrounding him and a half azz defense so he’s forced to constantly play from behind. He missed the first half of his 2nd season yet came back and led Jets to a 6-2 record. He lost RA and has a new OL that needs to gel, and it’s still lacks viable talent at the G position.  He has a slew of 3rd string wr’s to throw to and injuries to his top WR’s. No speed at the RB position and now Bell and Perine are injured. 2 TE’s that haven’t played in a year. I mean what the heck you expect? But it’s all Sam’s fault right. These are not hypothetical points but fact based unfathomable truths. 

And, not one of them make him a good QB.  They're just reasons you hope he's not actually the player you're seeing on the field.

7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

And, not one of them make him a good QB.  They're just reasons you hope he's not actually the player you're seeing on the field.

My reasons are based on watching football for over 50 years.Sonny Jurgensen was one of the best quarterbacks I’ve ever seen and he was totally stifled by playing on sh*t teams. Marino went to one Super Bowl. One. And there’s countless other great qb’s who never experienced their potential greatness. Football is the ultimate team sport. Sam has played a year and a half and he’s just 23 years old yet everybody wants to make him the sacrificial lamb. 

9 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

My reasons are based on watching football for over 50 years.Sonny Jurgensen was one of the best quarterbacks I’ve ever seen and he was totally stifled by playing on sh*t teams. Marino went to one Super Bowl. One. And there’s countless other great qb’s who never experienced their potential greatness. Football is the ultimate team sport. Sam has played a year and a half and he’s just 23 years old yet everybody wants to make him the sacrificial lamb. 

Both of these players made it to the HOF.  Maybe they didn't reach their full potential from a winning perspective, but they were HOF QBs.  It was obvious, too.  On the other hand, Sam Darnold looks like one of the worst QBs in the NFL.  The situations are not analogous.  Again, being bad in a bad situation doesn't make you good.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Both of these players made it to the HOF.  Maybe they didn't reach their full potential from a winning perspective, but they were HOF QBs.  It was obvious, too.  On the other hand, Sam Darnold looks like one of the worst QBs in the NFL.  The situations are not analogous.  Again, being bad in a bad situation doesn't make you good.

He’s 23 gimme a break. Man you guys are just relentless. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just stop.  His age is irrelevant.  This is his 3rd year in the NFL.

Lol. Really? Lol. He’s played a year and a half (not 3 years) under a sh*t coach and no premium WR’s and a sh*t OL and no run game.  You’re better than this 80. Really.

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean Sam Bradford was traded for a 1st round pick on two different occasions. QBs usually have higher value. If Sam could have a strong season it’s not out of realm of possibility 

Hey. the Saints gave us a #1 for Richard Todd, which we used to pick a 6'5" 260 LB who was afraid to tackle anyone.

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If the Jets have the number 1 overall pick, you draft Trevor Lawrence. Then you trade Sam Darnold for whatever you can get.

My fear is that Trevor Lawrence might not want to come here if we are the team with the 1st pick. I'd be worried that he and his agent might try and convince the Jets not to take him by saying he won't sign or something. A new Head Coach would help with that. Get rid of Gase. The sooner the better.

Nobody wants to go to the Jets. NYC is not the destination it used to be. Its a complete sh*thole now.  High state taxes.  Horrible organization.

25 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Lol. Really? Lol. He’s played a year and a half (not 3 years) under a sh*t coach and no premium WR’s and a sh*t OL and no run game.  You’re better than this 80. Really.

Excuses.  That's all Darnold has.  Excuses.  Either you can play or you can't in this league.  Darnold hasn't shown he can do it.  And you want to pay that guy $30M+ per to find out.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

he's been in a pretty bad situation since he's been here and it's gotten worse since Gase became HC. How do you evaluate a 23 yo QB that has played behind the worst Oline in the NFL his first 2 years and has limited weapons and terrible coaches since he has been here. How can you accurately evaluate somebody under those circumstances? What young QB would be successful under the same circumstances? 

• Upvote 1