Greg Roman

Rhg1084

14 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Greg Roman is such a superior offensive mind to Adam Gase that it isn't even close!

I said in another thread that Shotty is WAY better than Gase and it isn't close!

No way Roman has the team looking this... NO WAY!!

And the fact ownership doesn't see that Gase is a joke is extremely concerning, baffling and at the end of the day very sad....

Gase is only 18 games in. Our genius ownership gave Rex 6 years to do his magic, and Bowles 4 more to do even more damage. I don't think ownership even knows who Gase is yet.?

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think there's definitely some truth to this -- specifically that being a good coordinator (in particular being a good play caller) doesn't mean you'll be a good head coach.

That doesn't mean you disqualify great coordinators. The reality us none of us fans know what kind of personality these guys have. We don't know what it's like to be in the room with them. We don't know if they're natural leaders. We just know 1) what their track record is and 2) what we read about their reputation. Beyond that we need to hope that Douglas and (gulp) the Johnsons make good calls on that stuff.

That said Greg Roman has an impressive track record, IMO. He's taken guys like Kaepernick and Tyrod Taylor and gotten more out of them than anyone else has. He's taken an elite, raw talent like Lamar Jackson and taylored the offense to his strengths and the kid is an MVP already. He has been around successful, winning coaches like both Harbaugh brothers.

If he has no personality and isn't a natural leader, sure, don't hire him. But in a league that is more and more taylored to QBs who can run the ball he's been at the forefront of that movement. Personally I love the pairing of Roman and Trevor Lawrence.

That's all true. In Roman's case, there's also an argument that could be made that his ability to make something out of nothing on offense would be valuable enough that any shortcomings in other areas would be a worthwhile trade off. I'd still take Harbaugh and his legendary assholism 10 out 10 times though. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

This is troll right? or does the fan base just really not understanding what they are watching? 

Sell me on why Greg Roman is an elite choice for a HC without using Lamar Jacksons name at all. 

Then explain why you wouldnt just go after the guy who was his boss and has a better reputation and track record. 

19 minutes ago, section314 said:

Gase is only 18 games in. Our genius ownership gave Rex 6 years to do his magic, and Bowles 4 more to do even more damage. I don't think ownership even knows who Gase is yet.?

Rex won four playoff games his first two years.

Bowles, at least, had a winning record his first year.

It's all about what they can sell the fanbase. They dumped Mangini after only 3 because they needed to sell PSLs. They dumped Idzik after 2 because the fans revolted.

If this season continues the way it's going now they'll dump Gase over the fan revolt. They care about that sort of stuff even if they are cheap.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Sell me on why Greg Roman is an elite choice for a HC without using Lamar Jacksons name at all. 

Then explain why you wouldnt just go after the guy who was his boss and has a better reputation and track record. 

I think some fans are a little misguided about the Jets chances to land Jim Harbaugh. Why on earth would he ever even consider coaching the Jets?

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Look at his record in Buffalo w/ Tyrod and LeSEan and Sammy Watkins....     

true and the HC was..... rex. the same guy that wanted to handcuff our offense. Maybe it had nothing to do with Rex but I almost give Roman a pass there. 

Alex Smith became a good QB under Roman's OC years - everyone had written Smith off as a bust. Roman was also able to get the best out of Kaepernick. 

You may be right but what we all know is Gase isn't it.

10 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Tyrod Taylor was QB8, per DVOA, in his one season under Greg Roman. 

Roman had complete control of the offense while Rex Ryan was busy ruining a previously elite defense; asking his great pass-rushing defensive line to drop back into coverage.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

So you have no doubt that Jackson would have been successful on any team? You don't think going to the Ravens has been a big part of his success?

Jackson would display his elite talent on any team.

ifthe TEAM would have success is harder to say, of course....

he tooka team that had had a middling-losing record in the 3 previous years

5-11, 8-8, 9-7   (22-26...very Gase-like)          and was 4-5...   and dragged them into the playoffs on his running skills 

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

true and the HC was..... rex. the same guy that wanted to handcuff our offense. Maybe it had nothing to do with Rex but I almost give Roman a pass there. 

Alex Smith became a good QB under Roman's OC years - everyone had written Smith off as a bust. Roman was also able to get the best out of Kaepernick. 

You may be right but what we all know is Gase isn't it.

Kaep/Smith years....   had a GOOD OL and PRIME Gore, Crabtree, Vernon Davis...   

Darnold may be Smith 2.0....    I think he had 5 or 6 HC in his first years...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Tyrod Taylor was QB8, per DVOA, in his one season under Greg Roman. 

Roman had complete control of the offense while Rex Ryan was busy ruining a previously elite defense; asking his great pass-rushing defensive line to drop back into coverage.

WHat is the one quality that all Roman led QB have?

26 minutes ago, JTJet said:

LMAO! He's been offensive coordinator on multiple teams and his teams consistently finish top 10 in rushing, Give aways, Points scored. Gotten production out of different style of qb play. Not mentioning Lamar Jackson as a reason I wanted him couldn't of been any easier. ?? God this fan base can be really dense sometimes. 

• Upvote 1

Oh yea. 
You guys who are already looking to preorder your Lawrence jerseys - mark my words, we will win enough games to f*ck up your plans. 
I've never been more certain of anything in my life. The Jets don't get guys like Lawrence (assuming he is as can't miss as everyone says)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

LMAO! He's been offensive coordinator on multiple teams and his teams consistently finish top 10 in rushing, Give aways, Points scored. Gotten production out of different style of qb play. Not mentioning Lamar Jackson as a reason I wanted him couldn't of been any easier. ?? God this fan base can be really dense sometimes. 

Fair points but you only answered half my question. 

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Who has the better, and more accurate, arm?

Lawrence.  Hence why I prefer him.  People love Fields because of his running ability.  Lawrence's is nearly as good at running, so I'll take the better passer.

Obviously there's a ways to go to evaluate these 2, however.  I'll be very interested in the QBASE scores for both.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Kaep/Smith years....   had a GOOD OL and PRIME Gore, Crabtree, Vernon Davis...   

Darnold may be Smith 2.0....    I think he had 5 or 6 HC in his first years...

true, and I am not sure where you are going with this. 

Gun to your head you take Gase or Roman. .. I am not saying I guarantee Roman will be a SB winning HC but his play calling has a purpose and regardless of the team around them Smith/Kaep/Lamar all get put in play calling positions to play to their strength. Yeah he got fired from the Bills after having a bad start to 2016 but the offense did pretty well in 2015 with Taylor. 2015 Bills offense ranked 13th in total yards (360.9 yards per game), 28th in passing yards (208.9 yards per game), first in rushing yards (152 yards per game) and 12th in points (23.7 points per game). Roman offense helped Tyrod Taylor reach the Pro Bowl that season.

Thats a "REX "offense too... ground and pound.

I don't know maybe I am giving roman too much credit, which could be possible because I am so disgusted and pissed off watching our Brilliant offensive mind push his career bottom ranked offense on the field and ruin any fair evaluation of Sam.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Lawrence.  Hence why I prefer him.  People love Fields because of his running ability.  Lawrence's is nearly as good at running, so I'll take the better passer.

Obviously there's a ways to go to evaluate these 2, however.  I'll be very interested in the QBASE scores for both.

I don't watch a ton of college, but in the big games I did, Lawrence was the closest thing throwing the ball, and just having the confidence to make any throw at any time that I've seen since Marino.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

I don't watch a ton of college, but in the big games I did, Lawrence was the closest thing throwing the ball, and just having the confidence to make any throw at any time that I've seen since Marino.

Yep.  When the full evaluation is done, it'll be clear to see he's a pretty vastly superior prospect to what Darnold was when he was taken. 

Some people throw around the term "generational talent" for both Darnold and Lawrence.  That might not be true of Lawrence, but it absolutely was NOT true for Darnold when he was taken.  

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Fair points but you only answered half my question

Why hasn't anyone else hired Jimbo if he's an "elite" level NFL coach? He isn't. Players get tired of him after 2-3 seasons. His style is much more suited for the college level. Give me the guy who has proven he can develop qbs and tailor the offense to thier strengths. 

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mobility.  Which is why Greg Roman and Trevor Lawrence (171 carries, 718 yds, 13 rushing TDs in his collegiate career to date) would be a match made in heaven.

This isnt because Lawrence is some shifty, next level runner or bruiser like Cam/Allen/Tebow, he's not.  He's got speed and gets big runs that wont be there at the next level.  He's more of a runner the way Burrow is.  You dont want him running.  Dont expect this.  That's all system, Boyd, Watson, Lawrence.  

Fields would be the perfect fit for Roman.  Haskins wasnt running like Fields can.  Besides, Fields in his first year went 41/3 at 68%, also better than Lawrence.

Flop for Fields 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

This isnt because Lawrence is some shifty, next level runner or bruiser like Cam/Allen/Tebow, he's not.  He's got speed and gets big runs that wont be there at the next level.  He's more of a runner the way Burrow is.  You dont want him running.  Dont expect this.  That's all system, Boyd, Watson, Lawrence.  

Fields would be the perfect fit for Roman.  Haskins wasnt running like Fields can.  Besides, Fields in his first year went 41/3 at 68%, also better than Lawrence.

Flop for Fields 

Makes sense.  As I said, I'm good with either, pending the full evaluation process.  I'm sure Greg Roman will have great success with either prospect.

13 minutes ago, Stark said:

true, and I am not sure where you are going with this. 

Gun to your head you take Gase or Roman. .. I am not saying I guarantee Roman will be a SB winning HC but his play calling has a purpose and regardless of the team around them Smith/Kaep/Lamar all get put in play calling positions to play to their strength. Yeah he got fired from the Bills after having a bad start to 2016 but the offense did pretty well in 2015 with Taylor. 2015 Bills offense ranked 13th in total yards (360.9 yards per game), 28th in passing yards (208.9 yards per game), first in rushing yards (152 yards per game) and 12th in points (23.7 points per game). Roman offense helped Tyrod Taylor reach the Pro Bowl that season.

Thats a "REX "offense too... ground and pound.

I don't know maybe I am giving roman too much credit, which could be possible because I am so disgusted and pissed off watching our Brilliant offensive mind push his career bottom ranked offense on the field and ruin any fair evaluation of Sam.

Gase? only cos Patrica and Mr Tennis Ball Hands exist, or I wouldI say ANYBODY but Gase atthis point....

But yeah, we'd haveto convert into a run 1st offense... and I thought Sam was gonna pass us into glory years...    or at leatsthat was

the JN mantra " Sam the Savior" Sam is Elite" and all....

as for anybody calling Gase brilliant or guru or genius.... i dont guess ANBODY inteh NFL said that...  owners dont count.

I bet Manning said he was a real bright OC, or some such. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Ummmmmm so we are to DISCOUNT  Gase's time in Miami where he was fired for the very same things we see here?

And are you joking here?

REX RYAN!!!

Look Rex Ryan despite his Buffoonery and despite his flaws had us in TWO CONSEQUTIVE Championship TITLE Games!

TWO!!!!!

And when Rex had a team that was truly horrific as far as talent goes with Geno Smith as his QB  ------- he went 8-8.

Soooo......

Before we have Gase compared to Rex Ryan let's hope that he can stop being compared to Rich Kotite first!

Come on Man! :) 

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Jason Garret fits the bill. Not a coordinator but a true HC. Former QB who was always close to his QB's and did a good job with Prescott. Used to the bright lights having coached America's Team. Plus, he already moved to the tri-state area. 

and developed Romo and will develop DJones..this could be the best hire because he was a head coach before.

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ummmmmm so we are to DISCOUNT  Gase's time in Miami where he was fired for the very same things we see here?

And are you joking here?

REX RYAN!!!

Look Rex Ryan despite his Buffoonery and despite his flaws had us in TWO CONSEQUTIVE Championship TITLE Games!

TWO!!!!!

And when Rex had a team that was truly horrific as far as talent goes with Geno Smith as his QB  ------- he went 8-8.

Soooo......

Before we have Gase compared to Rex Ryan let's hope that he can stop being compared to Rich Kotite first!

Come on Man! :) 

The point is that the Johnsons  give bad coaches a ton of time before they pull the plug. Gase more than likely will get the same benefit.

1 minute ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Why hasn't anyone else hired Jimbo if he's an "elite" level NFL coach? He isn't. Players get tired of him after 2-3 seasons. His style is much more suited for the college level. Give me the guy who has proven he can develop qbs and tailor the offense to thier strengths. 

Plenty of teams have tried to pry him away from college and it gets talked about every single offseason, and please stop with the whole "players get tired of him" shtick, there were a couple people that did but the overwhelming majority run through a wall for him. 

Roman has a fraction of the experience with offenses and developing QBs that Harbaugh does. 

- Was the QB coach to Rich Gannon for his career best year (AP NFL MVP) and won the SuperBowl... with no Greg Roman. 

- First head coaching gig at San Diego through 2 years, his teams outscored their opponents 1025-300 and won 2 Championships... with no Greg Roman. 

- Turned Stanford football into a yearly contender and put Andrew Luck in position to almost win a Heisman... with no Greg Roman. 

- Made the 49ers matter again after years of futility, hired Greg Roman himself and put him into a position to succeed. Credit rolls uphill, so if you're praising Roman for Kap and Smith, equal credit goes to Harbaugh. 

- Makes every sh*tty QB at Michigan look pretty damn good, then they leave and turn into garbage when they are away from him. 

- Lastly... he has a career 105-45 record (.700)

And you want to compare Greg Roman to this man? Greg Roman wouldnt exist if it wasnt for Jim Harbaugh. 

Lol nah dawg. 

You dont get more proven than Harbaugh. 

...and before you come out with that "theres no way we can get him anyways" weaksauce, it almost happened once but we hired Rex, and he has a history of moving on frequently. 

15 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Roman is associated with offenses with strong running games.  The 49ers under Harbaugh.  The Bills under Rex.  And the Ravens with Lamar Jackson.

Is he really the right guy for a Darnold offense?  Maybe, because Sam's best pass plays are often broken, off script plays.  We don't need a tactician as much as we need a guy who can coach to Sam's innate strengths.

Either Roman or Bienemy would be way better than Gase.

It’s called Football. Players run with their feet, thus the running game. Otherwise it just be called handball. All kidding aside, any offense needs a balanced passing/running game and you can’t have either unless you have a primo OL to protect your QB and open holes for your rb’s.  DC’s are smart in this league and will take away a team’s strength. Case in point, Barry Sanders, in a playoff game, gained like 7 yards on a bunch of carries, was totally nullified. JD, a former OL, knows the importance of the OL and immediately began addressing the OL. And I’m sure Sam would prefer to chill in the pocket for 3.5 seconds than leave it after 1.5 seconds and run around like a chicken w/o a head looking for  WR that can’t separate from db’s. Progress not perfection. Steady sails the ship or however that saying goes. 

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Plenty of teams have tried to pry him away from college and it gets talked about every single offseason, and please stop with the whole "players get tired of him" shtick, there were a couple people that did but the overwhelming majority run through a wall for him. 

Roman has a fraction of the experience with offenses and developing QBs that Harbaugh does. 

- Was the QB coach to Rich Gannon for his career best year (AP NFL MVP) and won the SuperBowl... with no Greg Roman. 

- First head coaching gig at San Diego through 2 years, his teams outscored their opponents 1025-300 and won 2 Championships... with no Greg Roman. 

- Turned Stanford football into a yearly contender and put Andrew Luck in position to almost win a Heisman... with no Greg Roman. 

- Made the 49ers matter again after years of futility, hired Greg Roman himself and put him into a position to succeed. Credit rolls uphill, so if you're praising Roman for Kap and Smith, equal credit goes to Harbaugh. 

- Makes every sh*tty QB at Michigan look pretty damn good, then they leave and turn into garbage when they are away from him. 

- Lastly... he has a career 105-45 record (.700)

And you want to compare Greg Roman to this man? Greg Roman wouldnt exist if it wasnt for Jim Harbaugh. 

Lol nah dawg. 

You dont get more proven than Harbaugh. 

...and before you come out with that "theres no way we can get him anyways" weaksauce, it almost happened once but we hired Rex, and he has a history of moving on frequently. 

Wow. He coached Gannon for a SEASON! of Gannon's near 20 year career. That's almost as bad as saying Gase was Peyton Manning's offensive coordinator as a way of justifying him getting the job. Wouldn't be a terrible choice, but outside of his Michigan job he hasn't been head coach or on any staff longer then 3 years.. That's not a good look and would definitely add an argument to those who say he wears out his welcome. Greg Williams is a very good defensive mind but there's a reason he's been a coordinator for 20 out of 32 teams. Much prefer we go another route.