The Big Picture

varjet

I do not think Gase is a good football coach.

I do not think Darnold had the technical skills to be an NFL QB when he came into the league (he had the physical skills), and he needed a lot of development and coaching, which he could have received from starting right away and being coached well.   Even if that happened, with all QBs it is a mystery whether they work out.   We don’t know yet with Darnold.  He did look better today, fundamentally.

JD is a mixed bag so far.  Kalil was bad.  Signing Perriman and not Robby for $3mm savings was bad judgment.  He overvalued Van Roten.   His players all look worse than they should because Gase runs a horrible training/strength/conditioning program.   

But the odds of the Jets beating a top AFC team and last year’s SB NFC team were basically close to zero.  We have the same record now that we were going to have regardless of how well the bad players played. 

We will not really have a sense of how bad this team is for about 4-6 more weeks.  I am holding off posting and reading overly negative comments to avoid feeding into the hysteria. The Jets could surprise and get better.  There are quite a few players on injured reserve who can come back and help.  NFL teams change every year-the great ones are consistently good, but others go up and down.

So we will see if the Jets are a top 3-5 drafter this year.  I would not assume so.  I would they are not making the playoffs, so maybe they are better off tanking. But I have seen enough to know that Gase is not coaching where we want the Jets to be going.  

But on a personal level, allowing the current offensive staff to continue to coach Darnold is not fair to him and his family.   Telling Gase to promote Cooter to OC is completely within the realm of reason.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

This is a bad football team. The defense is a group of JAGs who can't stop anyone. The coaching is awful, the QB is regressing, this is a total mess.

The best thing we have going for us is that we might have the beginnings of a quality O-Line. Becton looks like a beast through 2 weeks. McGovern, and GVR (Despite the horrible 4th down missed block) are quality lineman and Alex Lewis looks to be getting better.

JD might know what he's doing when it comes to the draft. Although we need to see guys like Mims, Perrine, and Zuniga get on the field and play. I would have liked to have seen more Perrine today. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, varjet said:

But on a personal level, allowing the current offensive staff to continue to coach Darnold is not fair to him and his family.   Telling Gase to promote Cooter to OC is completely within the realm of reason.

This is the crux of the matter: they’re actively hurting Darnold. Darnolf may well suck, but he has no chance to prove himself under the current regime and with the current supporting cast. You justify making the change(s) by pointing out that you’re either cutting Darnold or giving him $35 mil. Waiting on Gase is not worth the fallout from either decision.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, varjet said:

I do not think Gase is a good football coach.

I do not think Darnold had the technical skills to be an NFL QB when he came into the league (he had the physical skills), and he needed a lot of development and coaching, which he could have received from starting right away and being coached well.   Even if that happened, with all QBs it is a mystery whether they work out.   We don’t know yet with Darnold.  He did look better today, fundamentally.

JD is a mixed bag so far.  Kalil was bad.  Signing Perriman and not Robby for $3mm savings was bad judgment.  He overvalued Van Roten.   His players all look worse than they should because Gase runs a horrible training/strength/conditioning program.   

But the odds of the Jets beating a top AFC team and last year’s SB NFC team were basically close to zero.  We have the same record now that we were going to have regardless of how well the bad players played. 

We will not really have a sense of how bad this team is for about 4-6 more weeks.  I am holding off posting and reading overly negative comments to avoid feeding into the hysteria. The Jets could surprise and get better.  There are quite a few players on injured reserve who can come back and help.  NFL teams change every year-the great ones are consistently good, but others go up and down.

So we will see if the Jets are a top 3-5 drafter this year.  I would not assume so.  I would they are not making the playoffs, so maybe they are better off tanking. But I have seen enough to know that Gase is not coaching where we want the Jets to be going.  

Great post and what you suggest is actually a REALLY good idea.

• Upvote 1

The big picture is that the Jets are currently the worst team in the league. It’s a damn shame but let’s be real it’s time to smash the reset button and hope we can lure Lincoln Riley to the NFL with the promise of coaching TLaw with a boatload of draft capital in the first couple years. And we watch Pittsburgh scoop up Darnold for pennies on the dollar and thrive as Big Ben’s successor