The Adam Gase- Joe Douglas Connection...

jetswinbaby!

9 minutes ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Is there one?

What is it exactly?

Why the loyalty?

Is it enough of a connection for a aspiring young GM on his first job to tarnish his reputation to continue to support a re-tread HC who is obviously in over his head?

Fill me in please...

When the Jets announced the hire Friday night, Darnold got on the phone with his agency — the same one that represents Douglas and Gase through lead agent Jimmy Sexton — and heard only “good things.” Having a shared agent with Douglas is “definitely convenient,” Darnold said, but he didn’t think it would affect him much otherwise.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/09/sam-darnold-already-a-fan-of-reassuring-joe-douglas-hire/

14 minutes ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Is there one?

What is it exactly?

Why the loyalty?

Is it enough of a connection for a aspiring young GM on his first job to tarnish his reputation to continue to support a re-tread HC who is obviously in over his head?

Fill me in please...

Gase got Joe the job and they worked together in Chicago.

• Upvote 1

this concept that because gase and douglas both report to cj and therefore douglas can’t fire gase is absurd - although equal on the org chart they don’t have equal influence - does everyone who reports to you’re boss have equal influence? if douglas believes gase is the reason for terrible play he will be able to convince cj to make a change - otoh who do you think is telling cj that gase is a briilant offensive mind? we are so screwed

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, MTJ06 said:

When the Jets announced the hire Friday night, Darnold got on the phone with his agency — the same one that represents Douglas and Gase through lead agent Jimmy Sexton — and heard only “good things.” Having a shared agent with Douglas is “definitely convenient,” Darnold said, but he didn’t think it would affect him much otherwise.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/09/sam-darnold-already-a-fan-of-reassuring-joe-douglas-hire/

The Jets never announced the terms of Gase’s contract, but it’s likely a four year deal. The fact that Douglas and Gase both use Sexton would make any handshake agreement to let Gase cash out (and for Douglas to save face) a lot easier, imo, like a managed buyout. Also consider that Sexton’s financial interests are tied a lot more to Darnold’s future than Gase’s, so if I’m Sexton, I might want Gase out of there anyway. 

Knowing the Jets, they’ll wait for Atlanta to fire Quinn in two weeks so they don’t have to wear the clown shoes by themselves. 

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Guys.  

Gase isn’t going anywhere.  He’s part of the rebuild process andnot expected to win with this garbage.  

onky way he gets fired is WJ comes back and cleans house.  WJ was always a PR first owner and it’s going to get Ugly around here. 

I agree Gase is part of the rebuild but if they keep showing no fight and Sam keeps regressing I think he still gets canned. 

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets never announced the terms of Gase’s contract, but it’s likely a four year deal. The fact that Douglas and Gase both use Sexton would make any handshake agreement to let Gase cash out (and for Douglas to save face) a lot easier, imo, like a managed buyout. Also consider that Sexton’s financial interests are tied a lot more to Darnold’s future than Gase’s, so if I’m Sexton, I might want Gase out of there anyway. 

Knowing the Jets, they’ll wait for Atlanta to fire Quinn in two weeks so they don’t have to wear the clown shoes by themselves. 

They'll most likely wait until after the season, if then. 

The team hasn't fired a head coach during the season under Johnson & Johnson. People want Joe Douglas to fire him, but it's not JD's decision to make. Personally, I think the organization is probably better off if the GM isn't bad-mouthing the HC to the owner two weeks into a preseasonless season. Unity, an "us vs. them," mentality, that's what I suspect they'll be pushing behind closed doors. Patience will be preached, as this is Darnold's first time running the same offense two years in a row. As with Sexton, Darnold is the Jets' more important asset until he isn't. They're not gonna wanna screw with his development. 

If there's a decision to fire Gase, it'll come in the final weeks of the year, and take place after the season. The team will have a ****load of cap space and extra premium draft picks to attract another head coach. Like Joe D, they may even decide to pay someone. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

They'll most likely wait until after the season, if then. 

The team hasn't fired a head coach during the season under Johnson & Johnson. People want Joe Douglas to fire him, but it's not JD's decision to make. Personally, I think the organization is probably better off if the GM isn't bad-mouthing the HC to the owner two weeks into a preseasonless season. Unity, an "us vs. them," mentality, that's what I suspect they'll be pushing behind closed doors. Patience will be preached, as this is Darnold's first time running the same offense two years in a row. As with Sexton, Darnold is the Jets' more important asset until he isn't. They're not gonna wanna screw with his development. 

If there's a decision to fire Gase, it'll come in the final weeks of the year, and take place after the season. The team will have a ****load of cap space and extra premium draft picks to attract another head coach. Like Joe D, they may even decide to pay someone. 

In general, I’d agree with you on this, but I think it’s going to get untenable very soon and you already have built-in successors on the payroll. Time is running out for Darnold, and now they have to see if it’s Gase that’s ******* him up. 

13 hours ago, MTJ06 said:

Right. This has always been the odd part to this. Gase, Darnold, and JD all have the same agent. Taking advantage of ownership.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

In general, I’d agree with you on this, but I think it’s going to get untenable very soon and you already have built-in successors on the payroll. Time is running out for Darnold, and now they have to see if it’s Gase that’s ******* him up. 

It would be a massive departure for this franchise to fire a coach during the year, let alone anything as crazy as this early. If Gase can't right this thing in a hurry, though, it's a move that I would applaud. Fire Gase and Loggains, promote Gregg and Jim Bob, and have Cooter continue to run the same offense. It's doable. I just don't expect it. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

It would be a massive departure for this franchise to fire a coach during the year, let alone anything as crazy as this early. If Gase can't right this thing in a hurry, though, it's a move that I would applaud. Fire Gase and Loggains, promote Gregg and Jim Bob, and have Cooter continue to run the same offense. It's doable. I just don't expect it. 

It’s possible that Chris had an epiphany with the Maccagnan firing.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Guys.  

Gase isn’t going anywhere.  He’s part of the rebuild process andnot expected to win with this garbage.  

onky way he gets fired is WJ comes back and cleans house.  WJ was always a PR first owner and it’s going to get Ugly around here. 

This may be correct in jets wonderland but just what has adam gase done to deserve to be part of a rebuild process? 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, southtown24th said:

BOTH REPORT SEPARATELY TO THE OWNER.

PERIOD.

CASE CLOSED.

That’s gotta end. JD seems like the only adult we’ve had in the past decade. I hope the next coach reports to JD. 

Give JD the keys to the kingdom. Less Johnson Family oversight can only be a good thing. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s possible that Chris had an epiphany with the Maccagnan firing.

Yes, it's possible. Probably projection, but possible. Have to wonder how much power Chris currently has and will hold onto moving forward, though. I think Woody's exchange student gig has just about wrapped up. 

1 minute ago, KINGDIRK said:

That’s gotta end. JD seems like the only adult we’ve had in the past decade. I hope the next coach reports to JD. 

Give JD the keys to the kingdom. Less Johnson Family oversight can only be a good thing. 

It's not going to end.

this is our piece of sh*t, cluster **** ownership

7 hours ago, ncjetman said:

this concept that because gase and douglas both report to cj and therefore douglas can’t fire gase is absurd - although equal on the org chart they don’t have equal influence - does everyone who reports to you’re boss have equal influence? if douglas believes gase is the reason for terrible play he will be able to convince cj to make a change - otoh who do you think is telling cj that gase is a briilant offensive mind? we are so screwed

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If it came down to it, we'd have to hope that Douglas is the one with greater influence..

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This may be correct in jets wonderland but just what has adam gase done to deserve to be part of a rebuild process? 

He hasn't deserved anything but he didn't deserve to have the job.

It's clear ownership thinks he's brilliant and coaching to where the NFL is going.

It seems obvious he has the owners ear and seemed to be part of the process of hiring JD.

IMO, he's absolutely part of this plan - and signed off on this talent dump.

Lastly, does anyone think he's the type of guy to stay quiet while JD dismantled the roster if he wasn't fully on board?