Sign in to follow this  
jetswinbaby!

The Adam Gase- Joe Douglas Connection...

8 hours ago, MTJ06 said:

When the Jets announced the hire Friday night, Darnold got on the phone with his agency — the same one that represents Douglas and Gase through lead agent Jimmy Sexton — and heard only “good things.” Having a shared agent with Douglas is “definitely convenient,” Darnold said, but he didn’t think it would affect him much otherwise.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/09/sam-darnold-already-a-fan-of-reassuring-joe-douglas-hire/

The Jets never announced the terms of Gase’s contract, but it’s likely a four year deal. The fact that Douglas and Gase both use Sexton would make any handshake agreement to let Gase cash out (and for Douglas to save face) a lot easier, imo, like a managed buyout. Also consider that Sexton’s financial interests are tied a lot more to Darnold’s future than Gase’s, so if I’m Sexton, I might want Gase out of there anyway. 

Knowing the Jets, they’ll wait for Atlanta to fire Quinn in two weeks so they don’t have to wear the clown shoes by themselves. 

4 hours ago, slats said:

They'll most likely wait until after the season, if then. 

The team hasn't fired a head coach during the season under Johnson & Johnson. People want Joe Douglas to fire him, but it's not JD's decision to make. Personally, I think the organization is probably better off if the GM isn't bad-mouthing the HC to the owner two weeks into a preseasonless season. Unity, an "us vs. them," mentality, that's what I suspect they'll be pushing behind closed doors. Patience will be preached, as this is Darnold's first time running the same offense two years in a row. As with Sexton, Darnold is the Jets' more important asset until he isn't. They're not gonna wanna screw with his development. 

If there's a decision to fire Gase, it'll come in the final weeks of the year, and take place after the season. The team will have a ****load of cap space and extra premium draft picks to attract another head coach. Like Joe D, they may even decide to pay someone. 

In general, I’d agree with you on this, but I think it’s going to get untenable very soon and you already have built-in successors on the payroll. Time is running out for Darnold, and now they have to see if it’s Gase that’s ******* him up. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

It would be a massive departure for this franchise to fire a coach during the year, let alone anything as crazy as this early. If Gase can't right this thing in a hurry, though, it's a move that I would applaud. Fire Gase and Loggains, promote Gregg and Jim Bob, and have Cooter continue to run the same offense. It's doable. I just don't expect it. 

It’s possible that Chris had an epiphany with the Maccagnan firing.

• Upvote 2

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company