Could 2020 be worse than 1996?

jetscrazey

Didn’t think it was possible but am starting to feel that way.  The team looks non-competitive and uninspired by a head coach who lacks the traditional communication skills of a head coach.  Gase has guaranteed money who knows if he’s really self-evaluating at all.  He may not be on the golf course like Kotite but mentally he might as well be.  As a result the players aren’t mentally sharp at all.  Multiple plays today were just downright embarrassing in terms of players missing assignments, a sure sign of bad coaching, even by Gregg Williams.  The D couldn’t afford to miss Mosley after the Adams trade.

I think the 2020 roster is actually less talented than 96, and the injuries have made it basically a college team.

18 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Yes, look at the Kotite games, we lost  games by 3 points or less, on four occasions, and actually Won three games, we where at least competitive.

This year we are getting our doors blown off against teams with no QB, no receivers and their best players out.

God knows the score against K.C.

NY Jets were 1-15 in 1996 

NY Jets were 3-13 in 1995

I guess the only positive about that time would be we were 1-15 in 1996, then we let parcels buy the groceries to cook the dinner and we were in the title game in 1998... I guess the silver lining is hopefully with some solid decisions and drafts we can turn this around... or you know...not.

2 hours ago, usanyj said:

I guess the only positive about that time would be we were 1-15 in 1996, then we let parcels buy the groceries to cook the dinner and we were in the title game in 1998... I guess the silver lining is hopefully with some solid decisions and drafts we can turn this around... or you know...not.

IDK about that, I think Parcells actually inherited a pretty good roster, Kotite was a lousy coach but a pretty good GM for Jets standards.  Parcells only meaningful additions in yr1 were Rick Lyle, Ernie Logan and Jason Fabini, yet they should have gone 10-6 and made the playoffs in his first year. 

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Yes, look at the Kotite games, we lost  games by 3 points or less, on four occasions, and actually Won three games, we where at least competitive.

This year we are getting our doors blown off against teams with no QB, no receivers and their best players out.

God knows the score against K.C.

42-3 at the half. KC pulls its starters and put in 3rd string, 56-10, one sweet garbage time TD against the starters. 

It's worse. 1996 was brutal but at least we had Keyshawn running around out there making plays and giving us hope. I just don't see a lot of hope on this team right now because our QB is regressing.

Becton looks great. That's big.

Q Williams finally decided to play football. That was nice to see.

But outside of those two guys what do we have right now? Then you throw in the fact that we have not played competitive football through our first 2 games and it's really depressing. And the owner apparently loves the coach. This isn't good. 

• Upvote 1

This is worse than ‘96.  The game has changed a lot since then, particularly on offense.  This team just looks so far away from being competitive right now.   Just watch some of the other teams that played yesterday.   Even other “rebuilding” teams like Jacksonville and Arizona are leaps and bounds better than the Jets.  We are YET AGAIN looking at drafting another QB and finding another head coach, fun times.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

This is worse than ‘96.  The game has changed a lot since then, particularly on offense.  This team just looks so far away from being competitive right now.   Just watch some of the other teams that played yesterday.   Even other “rebuilding” teams like Jacksonville and Arizona are leaps and bounds better than the Jets.  We are YET AGAIN looking at drafting another QB and finding another head coach, fun times.   

That’s cause those teams are not being held back by a stubborn head coach.

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Yet if you told me today the jets had the #1 pick in 2021 and can take Lawrence, then use the 2nd 1 and some day 2 picks on offense, they can turn it around quickly.  Douglas knows this and also knows he’ll survive this season while gase won’t.  Then he’ll have coaches lining up to coach Lawrence.  And the OL will be even better next year as well, presumably.  Of course this is predicated on gettting Lawrence.

7 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Those 1995 and 1996 teams were brutal.  At least most of those games were competitive each week.  

Could anyone imagine how the fans would have reacted if it were normal times and we could attend games?   

An interesting angle, tanking while the governor forbids fans in attendance.

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Yet if you told me today the jets had the #1 pick in 2021 and can take Lawrence, then use the 2nd 1 and some day 2 picks on offense, they can turn it around quickly.  Douglas knows this and also knows he’ll survive this season while gase won’t.  Then he’ll have coaches lining up to coach Lawrence.  And the OL will be even better next year as well, presumably.  Of course this is predicated on gettting Lawrence.

I don’t know, I’ve seen this movie too many times before.  I guess eventually they will get the right QB/coach combo.  

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I don’t know, I’ve seen this movie too many times before.  I guess eventually they will get the right QB/coach combo.  

That’s most of the ballgame here.  If you know you don’t have it now, don’t continue to build around it and overinvest in it.  I think it’s an obvious path if they get the #1 pick.  If they don’t it’s not as clear. 

What we don’t really know is, how much douglass really thinks of darnold despite what he’s said, and how much better he thinks the offense will be when the wrs return.  Gase has shown that he doesn’t like taking risks on offense when he feels he doesn’t have the personnel.  It sure does seem as if douglas knows gase will eventually get canned by the johnsons and douglas can say that decision was out of his control.  But if darnold really doesn’t show much more this year and the can’t get Lawrence, what’s the plan - fields? 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

That’s most of the ballgame here.  If you know you don’t have it now, don’t continue to build around it and overinvest in it.  I think it’s an obvious path if they get the #1 pick.  If they don’t it’s not as clear. 

What we don’t really know is, how much douglass really thinks of darnold despite what he’s said, and how much better he thinks the offense will be when the wrs return.  Gase has shown that he doesn’t like taking risks on offense when he feels he doesn’t have the personnel.  It sure does seem as if douglas knows gase will eventually get canned by the johnsons and douglas can say that decision was out of his control.  But if darnold really doesn’t show much more this year and the can’t get Lawrence, what’s the plan - fields? 

I have to really watch Fields this season, his athleticism is intriguing.   Having the threat of a running QB really changes the way defenses have to play you.  I think it makes it easier for a young QB to have success early.  We are seeing it happen too many times for it to be a fluke.  

Just now, sec101row23 said:

I have to really watch Fields this season, his athleticism is intriguing.   Having the threat of a running QB really changes the way defenses have to play you.  I think it makes it easier for a young QB to have success early.  We are seeing it happen too many times for it to be a fluke.  

There just haven’t been enough examples in the past 4-5 yrs of pure pocket passers entering the nfl and becoming good.  We always complain about the lack of weapons, well, having a qb who can get first downs on his own is a weapon.  Even guys like mahomes and mayfield can scramble well.  Tyler Murray.  Josh allen.  Daniel jones, though he’s not very good.  Prescot.  Watson.