Will Williams be able to fix the defense

More Cowbell

The O is bad, the D is worse. I Don't think i can ever recall so many big plays from RB's. I mean McKinnon converted a 3rd and 30. Do we even need to mention the first play of the game?

The D was the one thing I felt ok about going into the season because they played well most of the year. Will Williams be able to fix what is wrong?

Its just guys playing undisciplined and trying to make plays instead of honoring their gap integrity.  Thats the difference early this year as opposed to last year where the whole defense was incredibly gap sound.  the 3 and 23 run ogletree screwed everyone since he should have been in the cut back lane, instead he over pursued and left the entire cut back wide open. 

7 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I have more faith in Williams fixing the defense than Mr. crazy eyes, wr screen, out pattern, what are TEs?, A-gap runs only, fixing the offense.

Williams has been here two years and the defense is regressing. 

Is the difference between Gase and Williams the injuries? Because I am pretty sure the offense has had their share of injuries. 

Both Gase and Williams deserve to be fired at this point. 

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He doesn't have the players to do it in my opinion. The defense is atrocious. Against good offenses this will be the norm.

The niners are not a good offense without Kittle and Deebo? And the Niners lost Jimmy G and still were able to move the ball. 

If we give Williams a pass because of the "players" we should give Gase the same pass because of no WRs and no Bell. 

Personally, I don't give either a pass. 

18 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Yes he will... All the big plays come down to the ILB over pursuing on the play... Not sure why Avery is not playing but he has to be better then the junk that has been out there... As the season goes on this will be fixed... 

Avery is slow and Ogletree is slower.  

45 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The niners are not a good offense without Kittle and Deebo? And the Niners lost Jimmy G and still were able to move the ball. 

If we give Williams a pass because of the "players" we should give Gase the same pass because of no WRs and no Bell. 

Personally, I don't give either a pass. 

I'm not giving Williams a pass. He's done a bad job. He won't fix this defense. I've never thought he was a great defensive coach anyway. 

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Yes he will... All the big plays come down to the ILB over pursuing on the play... Not sure why Avery is not playing but he has to be better then the junk that has been out there... As the season goes on this will be fixed... 

The Avery situation is bizarre. He was good his first year with us and isn't that old. Why is he playing special teams? Did he recover so poorly from his injury?

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Agree.  The big problems look to be systemic issues at the second level of the defense.  The defensive line is doing a decent job.  The talent level of the secondary is spotty, but aside from the occasional blown coverage, Williams has made the best of it.  

No way is this going to be a monster defense this year, but as the season progresses, I expect the defense is going to be more effective.   

They have to have to do a much better job at the second level

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Asking Gregg Williams to field a defense without pass rushers or cornerbacks is like asking Gase to run an offense through Sam Darnold. It's coaching, not magic, and the players are just bad.

You could make the same argument for Gase and his offense without WRs and without Bell, in the end these guys have to get it done the same way the Niners got it done yesterday missing half their players. 

59 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Its just guys playing undisciplined and trying to make plays instead of honoring their gap integrity.  Thats the difference early this year as opposed to last year where the whole defense was incredibly gap sound.  the 3 and 23 run ogletree screwed everyone since he should have been in the cut back lane, instead he over pursued and left the entire cut back wide open. 

Yes... At the second level.  The LB's have been a problem

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You could make the same argument for Gase and his offense without WRs and without Bell, in the end these guys have to get it done the same way the Niners got it done yesterday missing half their players. 

The 49ers got it done yesterday missing half their players because the ones they still had are better than the ones the Jets have. Which would still have been the case if Bell and the receivers had played. And Belichick was coaching. And cheating. I would rather that the problem was anything other than abject lack of talent too, but wanting it isn't enough to suspend disbelief to the extent that I'd have to in order to buy any of these hope narratives.

6 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

The 49ers got it done yesterday missing half their players because the ones they still had are better than the ones the Jets have. Which would still have been the case if Bell and the receivers had played. And Belichick was coaching. And cheating. I would rather that the problem was anything other than abject lack of talent too, but wanting it isn't enough to suspend disbelief to the extent that I'd have to in order to buy any of these hope narratives.

I think the key is that the 49ers have a crystal clear system of play - as much as people have made fun of the idea - they are a run first team. Maybe not ground and pound, but more that they leverage their excellent line and speed at RB to challenge defenses and constantly stay ahead of the downs. 

Most teams in the league have that kind of vision. Think of the Titans last year, or even a team that has as varied an offense at KC. You know what their team is about. Someone like Bellichek changes it up with some regularity based on what he has available to him, but his strategy is always clear (whether ground and pound as in their last SB run, or when he went all crazy with TEs, etc.).

Gase has offered no such vision for the Jets or frankly for his QB. Its not clear what he is trying to accomplish or if he simply wants to run something thats hard to pin down...but if its the later, I cant think of a really successful operation thats run their offense that way. 

With the injuries we have and Sam's skill sets, you'd think we would go hurry up and backyard style, lots of stuff to TEs and RBs over the middle (esp since Sam loves Griffin and Herndon, and eventually you get Bell back). Something closer to what the Steelers run....

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

The O is bad, the D is worse.

This is a factually incorrect statement.

The 2020 Jets Offense is current ranked 31st in Points Scored and 32nd in Yards Gained.

The 2020 Jets Defense is currently ranked 23rd in Points Allowed and 19th in Yards Allowed.

There is no question, the Offense is the materially worse unit on this team as of today.

This is compounded when you understand that bad offense usually leads to bad defense (no rest time, shorter fields, more opponent possessions, etc) but that bad defense usually leads to BETTER offensive production (because no clock killing, more possessions, more opportunities with the ball, always need to be trying to pass to score and catch up, etc.), it's even worse than the ranking above indicate.

The Jets Defense has not been good in 2020, and they get no free pass on that. 

The Jets Offense is (once again) the worst in the NFL, and is itself causing worse performance rankings for our Defense.

A reminder, that our Offensive Genius of a Head Coach is now sitting at career Offensive Rankings of 24/17, 25/28, 31/26, 32/31 and 32/31 as of today.  If this is not a firable resume for a so-called "Offensive Genius", I don't know what is.  You cannot be dead last in the NFL in Offense year after year and retain you job.  Not in this era of NFL football.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Lets look at it another way:

The Jets Offense has scored only 30 points in it's first two games.

There are only TWO Teams in the entire NFL whose Defenses have kept their opponents to under 30 points thru the first two games:

Baltimore (22 points allowed)

New Orleans (23 points allowed)

So basically, the only way the Jets were winning in weeks 1 and 2, and overcoming it's last-place Offense's inability to score, was to have either the #1 or #2 ranked Defense in the NFL for Points Allowed.

The biggest problem is, and always has been, the Offense and it's inability to score points.

• Upvote 4

The NY Jets, who have consistently drafted defense for 20 years, have one first round draft pick on their defense. 

There is no talent on this defense and it doesnt look like he's getting the luxury of facing rookies like Danny Dimes, Minshew and Haskens.  And chumps like Fitz, Carr, Dalton, Rudolph, Hodges, Brady, Mayfield, Allen (last years version) etc.  So no, dont expect a miracle.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Williams has had poor defense for years now. He has a 1 year aberration where his defense is middle of the pack and people think he's some defensive mastermind. 

Yep.  There's a reason why he's only been with teams 2-3 seasons, on average, over the last 15 years.  He's a mediocre DC.

• Upvote 1