The Harshest Fact Of All

BettyBoop

On 9/21/2020 at 7:56 AM, BettyBoop said:
  • Johnson hires Gase based on Peyton Manning's recommendation
  • Johnson fires Mac based on Gase's recommendation
  • Johnson hires Joe Douglas based on Gase's recommendation
  • Johnson fires Gase based on Joe Douglas's recommendation

That would really be unbelievable if it transpires that way.

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Good post. 

The only thing I would add is that Douglas seemed to have a pretty big reputation around the league, irrespective of what Gase thought of him. Meanwhile, other than Peyton Manning, how many people were in love with the Gase hire from the get go? 

And again, he can help solidify this rep by having more of his draft picks play well.  Getting mims out there and looking good, along with how beckton is playing, will go a long way towards showing that his offensive vision (sans gase) is off to a good start.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Augustiniak said:

And again, he can help solidify this rep by having more of his draft picks play well.  Getting mims out there and looking good, along with how beckton is playing, will go a long way towards showing that his offensive vision (sans gase) is off to a good start.

But he has to separate himself from Gase sooner than later to make things work. Mims isn't even going to see the field until we are 0-4. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But he has to separate himself from Gase sooner than later to make things work. Mims isn't even going to see the field until we are 0-4. 

My hunch is that he already has.  The way the Johnsons work is, there’s always one guy there who has their ear.  For a long time it was tanny.  Then it was Rex.  Then mccags.  Now it’s douglas.  Douglas is the rasputin right now.  He dealt adams for a major haul and beckton seems like a stud already.   The entire thing is set up to make a major jump next year without gase and perhaps without darnold.  I think douglas knows gase would wear out his tenure here quickly, and that he’d be last man standing.  I doubt gase lasts the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

My hunch is that he already has.  The way the Johnsons work is, there’s always one guy there who has their ear.  For a long time it was tanny.  Then it was Rex.  Then mccags.  Now it’s douglas.  Douglas is the rasputin right now.  He dealt adams for a major haul and beckton seems like a stud already.   The entire thing is set up to make a major jump next year without gase and perhaps without darnold.  I think douglas knows gase would wear out his tenure here quickly, and that he’d be last man standing.  I doubt gase lasts the season.

I hope you are right, because I have never had so much trouble getting excited to watch the Jets play. I just can't look at Gase much longer. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

The first three have already transpired!

Understood.  I obviously meant the last one.

That will be the most telling of all, of course.  Douglas came here not telling CJ that he needs a new HC, a new QB and a whole new roster, and that this team was 5 years away.  He apparently sold CJ on being able to improve the roster over a period of 2-3 seasons around a good HC and QB that were already in place.  If he says, "Adam Gase isn't cutting it.  I suggest you terminate him despite me spending 2 years getting him his kinds of players for his system," then JD is admitting he was not a very good assessor of Gase's capabilities despite knowing him for more than 5 years.  If I were the owner then terminating Gase gets him off the hot seat and puts JD on it.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Understood.  I obviously meant the last one.

That will be the most telling of all, of course.  Douglas came here not telling CJ that he needs a new HC, a new QB and a whole new roster, and that this team was 5 years away.  He apparently sold CJ on being able to improve the roster over a period of 2-3 seasons around a good HC and QB that were already in place.  If he says, "Adam Gase isn't cutting it.  I suggest you terminate him despite me spending 2 years getting him his kinds of players for his system," then JD is admitting he was not a very good assessor of Gase's capabilities despite knowing him for more than 5 years.  If I were the owner then terminating Gase gets him off the hot seat and puts JD on it.

When you insist on a six year contract as GM you belong on the hot seat.  The hot seat is not a bad thing.  It;s necessary especially when the owners meddle the way the Johnson's do.  Let's recap:

• They fire Mangini and keep Tannenbaum.
  • They hire Rex and force him to keep sh*ttyheimer.
  • They fire Tannenbaum and hire Idzik (based on a search led by Korn Ferry, their accountant and their lawyer) and force him to keep Rex.
  • They fire Idzik and hire Mac and shove Bowles down his throat.
  • They fire Bowles and keep Mac and force Gase down his throat.
  • They fire Mac based on Gase's recommendation and hire Douglas.
  • Now they will fire Gase and force the next pathetic coach down Douglas's throat.

Here's what the ceremony will look like.

Shotgun_Wedding.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

The harshest fact of all is that Doug Brien lost a playoff game fifteen years ago and not once at any time since has anybody associated with this franchise ever been responsible for anything.

Wow, 15 years ago. Feels like 30 years ago. 

It's been a long decade. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

What brand ? Chef Boyardee knows more football than the Jets organization .

chefboyardee3.gif

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

It's pretty clear that firing Gase is a fait acompli at this point.  The only questions that remain are whether or not he's allowed to stay on all season further destroying the brand and whether Chris Johnson will let Douglas make the decision and simply get out of the way.  The worst part of all this is the optics; 

So now and for the next five years we're in the hands of the guy who was recommended by the guy who was just fired.  This, my friends, is called the Johnson Shuffle.

It more like a (not so) merry-go-round.

It's pretty clear that firing Gase is a fait acompli at this point.  The only questions that remain are whether or not he's allowed to stay on all season further destroying the brand and whether Chris Johnson will let Douglas make the decision and simply get out of the way.  The worst part of all this is the optics; 

So now and for the next five years we're in the hands of the guy who was recommended by the guy who was just fired.  This, my friends, is called the Johnson Shuffle.

If you hired the best NASCAR driver on the circuit, he couldn't finish out of the bottom five in any race if the best you could offer him was a three-wheeled-car with a 4-cylinder engine.

You can't judge Gase with the current craptastic roster.

That's the harshest fact of all.  Gase may be great or Gase may suck.  We simply can't tell.  And, guess what, that's the way it always is when you have a bad roster and a broken front office and a weed culture.  Doesn't get fixed overnight and early on the new group looks as bad as the outgoing group because they haven't had the time needed to make the corrections and shape the team the way they need to.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2

Go back further, and you see this has been the way for a long while now.

It's the way it works when both the Head Coach and General Manager both work for the Owners, and not the way it should be, with the Coach working for the GM.

Our organizational structure is broken, fatally.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

The harshest fact of all is that Doug Brien lost a playoff game fifteen years ago and not once at any time since has anybody associated with this franchise ever been responsible for anything.

Didn't we use a 2 the following year on Nuge?   Brien definitely was responsible for that.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

When you insist on a six year contract as GM you belong on the hot seat.  The hot seat is not a bad thing.  It;s necessary especially when the owners meddle the way the Johnson's do.  Let's recap:

• They fire Tannenbaum and hire Idzik (based on a search led by Korn Ferry, their accountant and their lawyer) and force him to keep Rex.
  • Now they will fire Gase and force the next pathetic coach down Douglas's throat.

Shotgun_Wedding.jpg

Can she play defensive line ?

4 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Shotgun_Wedding.jpg

So many breasts and chins but no jawlines in that photo. 

I've seen enough to go all-in with Douglas, and let him hire the next HC.  Not saying I know Douglas is going to be a great GM, but from the limited resume he has since coming here, I am confident that he is *by far* the most football-savvy person in the organization.  No more bringing in consultants to help us hire a HC.  That doesn't work because they don't have to live or die by the consequences.  Give Douglas the keys.  Get out of his way.  Anything else is just perpetuating the sh-tshow that we have been watching for...well a long time.

• Upvote 3

On 9/21/2020 at 12:16 PM, Warfish said:

Go back further, and you see this has been the way for a long while now.

It's the way it works when both the Head Coach and General Manager both work for the Owners, and not the way it should be, with the Coach working for the GM.

Our organizational structure is broken, fatally.

You're absolutely right, however I was limited this to the Chris Johnson years/fiasco.

On 9/21/2020 at 11:26 AM, NYJ37/12 said:

I still believe the Jets business model of both coach and GM being on equal ground is the wrong model. GM should pick the coach and the coach should report to the GM, GM to the owner.  Douglas should pick the next coach without the owners influence.

I think their model is wrong for the Jets.  It may work for a team like the Steelers who are owned by the Rooneys, but not when a team is owned by the Johnsons.  They can't get out of their own way.

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2020 at 11:32 AM, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Doug Brien lost a game where the offence scored zero points.. Yep it's totally his fault..:blink:

On 9/21/2020 at 11:12 AM, slimjasi said:

Good post. 

The only thing I would add is that Douglas seemed to have a pretty big reputation around the league, irrespective of what Gase thought of him. Meanwhile, other than Peyton Manning, how many people were in love with the Gase hire from the get go? 

On 9/21/2020 at 11:20 AM, slimjasi said:

I was actually going to respond the first post by saying, eventually I think Douglas has to make a statement and fire Gase.  He's clearly not the guy and hitching your wagon to him might have lingering effects.  I dont know when that timing is or when it's best but if they start 0-4 and gets beat by Bortles or Driskell.  I really dont see how he justify his job as the leader of the team by letting this guy drive the franchise into the ground.

• Upvote 1

I have a sinking feeling that any glimmer of hope, will make CJ commit another year to his genius. Any two wins back to back, regardless of how awful the opponents now will prolong our horror. Part of being a head coach is to have your guys ready week one. Getting things finally hammered out by Oct screws you every freakin year.