Jets QB going forward in 2021

If the 2020 Jets prove to be the worst team in the National Football League and end up with the number one overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, should they give up on Darnold and roll the dice on a dual threat quarterback?

An alternative is to keep Darnold, extend him, and draft weapons.

Maybe the cap is screwed next season and a quarterback like Dak becomes available. Pay him and then draft weapons. Maybe Wentz is available in a trade after Eagles hand the keys to Jalen Hurts. Then draft weapons for Wentz and cross your fingers he doesn't get a concussion.

Win the lottery alternative: Captain Morgan looks  like our franchise quarterback for 8 games in 2020. Joe just fast tracked the rebuild. Draft weapons for Morgan. 

How do you see things unfolding for the Jets at quarterback in 2021?

Trevor Lawrence 

Justin Fields 

Sam Darnold 

James Captain Morgan 

Dak Prescott 

Trade for Carson Wentz

30 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

If the 2020 Jets prove to be the worst team in the National Football League and end up with the number one overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, should they give up on Darnold and roll the dice on a dual threat quarterback?

Maybe the cap is screwed next season and a quarterback like Dak becomes available. Pay him and then draft weapons. Maybe Wentz is available in a trade after Eagles hand the keys to Jalen Hurts. Then draft weapons for Wentz and cross your fingers he doesn't get a concussion.

Win the lottery alternative: Captain Morgan looks  like our franchise quarterback for 8 games in 2020. Joe just fast tracked the rebuild. Draft weapons for Morgan. 

Trevor Lawrence 

Justin Fields 

Sam Darnold 

James Captain Morgan 

Dak Prescott 

Trade for Carson Wentz

Stressed GIF by phlywheel

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

In your opinion will he be as good or better than Deshaun Watson in the NFL? I ask because your a Clemson fan who probably has seen all their games. 

That’s a good question.  They are different QBs.  Watson’s ability to run has been an incredible advantage for him as he has played with some VERY bad O-lines in Houston.  Deshaun’s intangibles were evident day one when he stepped foot on campus at Clemson.  Trevor came in with similar expectations and had a very similar presence.  I’m not sure Trevor is as gritty as Deshaun and can grind it out like Deshaun has.  Arm talent wise Trevor is better than Deshaun was coming out of school.  Like anything with these young QBs it will depend on the situation you are drafted into, but I do think Trevor will have a very good NFL career.  

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s a good question.  They are different QBs.  Watson’s ability to run has been an incredible advantage for him as he has played with some VERY bad O-lines in Houston.  Deshaun’s intangibles were evident day one when he stepped foot on campus at Clemson.  Trevor came in with similar expectations and had a very similar presence.  I’m not sure Trevor is as gritty as Deshaun and can grind it out like Deshaun has.  Arm talent wise Trevor is better than Deshaun was coming out of school.  Like anything with these young QBs it will depend on the situation you are drafted into, but I do think Trevor will have a very good NFL career.  

I wonder about Lawrence's ability to process the game and make quick decisions.  He comes off as a California surfer stoner in interviews, Kinda reminds me of Spiccoli in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  

7 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I wonder about Lawrence's ability to process the game and make quick decisions.  He comes off as a California surfer stoner in interviews, Kinda reminds me of Spiccoli in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  

He probably is a boogie boarder like Sam Darnold. 

• Haha 1

As I said before:

• It is way to early to predict what we do in 2021.   There is alot of football to be played out.
  • Giving Darnold a chance in 2021 saves at least $20mm of having to sign a Wentz or Prescott.  Prescott would not be good here.  Wentz would get hurt.
  • The Jet were built all wrong, mostly by Mac.  Our time on Darnold is running out.  If they can draft a top QB without giving too much in a trade up, I think you do that, build around him and enjoy the 4 years of another rookie contract and a proper rebuild.  Darnold deserves another chance somewhere else.  
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m very intrigued with Fields.   I’m going to give him a lot of looks this year, even though I despise OSU.  

Likewise.  41 TD's, 3 INT's at 68%, 10 TD's on the ground.   Very glad the Big 10 decided that they couldnt resist the money and jumped back into it because this kid is special.  

I mean, people are saying "Lawrence no brainer" and I'm like, really?  Sorry, I just dont see it that way at all.   I already have my concerns with Lawrence and then I look around the NFL and I see who the best QB's are on the best teams and I say hmmmmmm.....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Likewise.  41 TD's, 3 INT's at 68%, 10 TD's on the ground.   Very glad the Big 10 decided that they couldnt resist the money and jumped back into it because this kid is special.  

I mean, people are saying "Lawrence no brainer" and I'm like, really?  Sorry, I just dont see it that way at all.   I already have my concerns with Lawrence and then I look around the NFL and I see who the best QB's are on the best teams and I say hmmmmmm.....

Russell Wilson

Lamar Jackson 

Patrick Mahomes 

Kyler Murray 

Josh Allen 

Joe Burrow 

Gardner Minshew II

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think this post has merit. 

The other thing I worry about with Lawrence would be the ungodly expectations he would have here. 

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Trevor Lawrence 

Justin Fields 

Sam Darnold 

James Captain Morgan 

Dak Prescott 

Trade for Carson Wentz

Wentz is a bum. Only success Eagles had was with Foles. No thanks.

If the Jets finish with the #1 pick then Darnold likely has not improved so it is likely we draft a new QB. If it gets close to that I would think we see Morgan or White for a few games just to see what we have. I do not see it happening though, I think our roster is better than last year but terribly injured and when we get healthier we will win enough to not draft tat high

I think a lot depends on how this season plays out obviously. If the Jets have an opportunity to take Lawrence or Fields then they'll have a top 4 pick probably and I don't see how they can pass on one of them.

If they don't, then hopefully Sam improves as the season goes on and he'll be the QB. 

He played well yesterday considering he has no talent to work with and they played very conservative. I want to see Sam with Perriman, Crowder, and Mims all healthy at the very least.

14 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

if you have the #1 pick you take the best qb. Let him and Darnold compete, then trade the other.

We'd have to trade Darnold not long after drafting a QB.  Darnold would be entering Year 4 of his deal, and the decision on his 5th year option would need to be made (by whoever owns his rights) in the first week of May, 2021.  

No team is trading much of anything for Darnold if we wait on it.  His only value comes from still being young and cheap.

• Upvote 1