Jets QB going forward in 2021

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We'd have to trade Darnold not long after drafting a QB.  Darnold would be entering Year 4 of his deal, and the decision on his 5th year option would need to be made (by whoever owns his rights) in the first week of May, 2021.  

No team is trading much of anything for Darnold if we wait on it.  His only value comes from still being young and cheap.

Why not pick up year 5 and move him anyway during year 4 if he loses out to the draft pick? There is always someone who will trade for a high draft pick qb still on his first deal

1 minute ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Then they may think to pick up the option. One of them will have trade value

The 5th year option could cost as much as $25M.  The better move would be to trade Darnold prior to that deadline, which allows the team trading for him the ability to make that call.  Exercising the 5th year option would reduce his trade value.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The 5th year option could cost as much as $25M.  The better move would be to trade Darnold prior to that deadline, which allows the team trading for him the ability to make that call.  Exercising the 5th year option would reduce his trade value.

Gotcha 

• Upvote 1

It really comes down to this (at least to me): If I had to compare Darnold to Lawrence coming out, Lawrence is the better prospect. However, if you are asking me Lawrence vs. Darnold and whatever the Jets could recoup from a team trading up (say 2 1st rounders and 2 second rounders), I have to stick with Darnold. Sure you are spending money to extend Darnold, but it won't be a crazy contract given his stats and the Jets would have 6 first rounders over a 2-3 year period. That's a loaded roster. 

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Seem to remember a team tried this gamble with a failed QB and after they traded him they ended up paying more of his salary than the team that he played for the next season. Can’t remember the specifics.