I did not have a chance to watch the game yesterday but based on the post-game threads it seems like Becton was one of the few bright spots...Could the board please elaborate in more detail?

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Becton is our best player and it’s not even close. He’s the least of our worries. 

Jets need to decide whether to fire Gase by week 6-8 OR fire him at the end of the season. Ultimately, the most important player right now is Sam Darnold. Whether he’s the answer or not, that’s a whole other topic. But has he regressed under Gase? The fact he looked better under Bowles should determine whether Gase gets canned or not. 

JD needs to bring his own guy in. 

Week 6 to 8?? NO one has ever accused you of not being too kind. Also, with how this organization does things, The Johnsons probably have a big press conference, play Stone Cold Steve Austin's entrance music.. and have Brian Schottenheimer walk out.

• Post of the Week 2

He gets inside of the 3-tech. Reaches him from the outside, resets his stance on the inside and opens the hole. Insanity.

• Upvote 4

Bad news.   Beccton just joined the cast of HGTV's Property Brothers.  Turns out the kid is a whiz with a sledgehammer.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I knew I liked him when it was announced Jamal The Dirtbag got traded for two 1's, and Becton posted on twitter some emojis like it was a good thing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

So I just had a chance to watch the first half for a bit and I noticed something crazy that is happening with Becton.

On at least 3 plays in the first half where the run was designed to go away from him (to the right side) and Becton's man was head up or shading inside of him, when he blocked that man he drives him down the line (and back a bit) to the point where that defender actually ends up in on the tackle (or at least the pile). He's blocking a defender on the left side of our formation down to the right side and into the play. Crazy.

Truly the definition of overkill and mistaken consequences.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, pointman said:

He is trying to get inside his man and establish hands on his shoulder pads to wash him out. He can't get there fast enough and instead of releasing and moving onto the backer.. he is holding his contain and trying to take him out of the play even if it means crossing the gap being used. Its normal but not ideal. You can't expect a man that large to not try and block down. Its much better than the alternative of the tackle who is too fat and slow and just stands around and does nothing.

Great explanation! Thanks

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mitochondria said:

I did not have a chance to watch the game yesterday but based on the post-game threads it seems like Becton was one of the few bright spots...Could the board please elaborate in more detail?

Mitochondria, bravo on your new handle, bringing a burst of chemical energy in a Jets season devoid of it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, pointman said:

Week 6 to 8?? NO one has ever accused you of not being too kind. Also, with how this organization does things, The Johnsons probably have a big press conference, play Stone Cold Steve Austin's entrance music.. and have Brian Schottenheimer walk out.

You just made me laugh and cry at the same time. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

Someone asked Baldinger to break down Becton  🤣🤣🤣

Would any of us want to?  Give the guy a break.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

Becton owned Bosa in pass pro. He’s already playing at All Pro level and the offense should simplify and revolve around him. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This is some Jon Ogden ish. I like.

This is exactly  what I was thinking during the game.  Keep running behind 77 until the stop it. Becton was a force of nature out there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This is some Jon Ogden ish. I like.

Doesn't even look like he was trying to knock the guy over. Just got great leverage and his natural ability took over from there.

• Upvote 1

PICK NO. 11: OT MEKHI BECTONNEW YORK JETS

2020 overall grade: 79.7

Despite coming out of his debut with an injury, Mekhi Becton played against the 49ers in Week 2 and had another impressive debut. His life was made significantly easier when the 49ers lost Nick Bosa to a torn ACL just 11 snaps into the game, but Becton blocked what was in front of him and surrendered only two hurries across 37 pass-blocking snaps.

He has now allowed just four total pressures across his first two games en route to strong run-blocking grades, making him arguably the most impressive rookie offensive lineman so far this season.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-grading-32-first-round-picks-week-2-2020-nfl-season

• Like 2

He looked good in pass protection and mauled in the run game, multiple pancakes.

It's early but he looks like he's on his way to being a perennial Pro Bowler. Probably the best player and most valuable asset on the team, two games in, IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Multiple pancakes, no sacks given up, generally looked rock solid.

Plus he had a generally affable personality.

• Upvote 3

As good as becton is the right side of the oline is trash.  (via the baldy highlights)