Where the game turned - 4th and 1

CTJetsFan

Had a chance to re-watch some of the first half.

With about 4:20 to go in the 1st half, we are down 14-3 (thank you defense) and have the ball on about the SF 20 with 3rd and 1. 1 failed rush by Gore on 3rd down and then the 4th and 1 run by Adams for a loss. I think we can all agree we wanted them to go for it there....but hated the call (and who ran it). We also lost Perriman on this dirve.

If you look at the game track, we had a 6 play drive (1st series punt), a 13 play drive (ended with a FG) and an 11 play drive that stalled on the 4th and 1.

https://www.nfl.com/games/49ers-at-jets-2020-reg-2

Sam at that point was 9 of 11 (or 12) for 65 yards with 1 drop by Hogan. Sam also had an 8 yard run for a 1st down. Most of the routes being run that I could see (without all 22 view) were outs and crosses. Not even sure if anyone went deep so game plan was probably to keep everything short and underneath to negate the SF pass rush. For all intents and purposes, it was working, BUT (and here's the damning part on Gase) once Bosa and Thomas go out, we don't deviate from that strategy....especially after it becomes 21-3.

The defense gave up another scoring drive before the half to make it 21-3, Perriman was out, Hogan got knicked up for a bit and Gase didn't adjust at the half.

There was your game folks.

• Upvote 2

The game turned when the game started and they ran for 80 yards on their first try. Their offensive coordinator said "ok fellas, lets soften them up with a run first and get a couple of yards.. then we'll unleash the aerial attack.."

*watches us get doused for 80 yards*

"Change of plans, men. These Jets are trashier than Stephen A Smith's MMA hot takes.. just do whatever you want. They suuuck".

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

With about 4:20 to go in the 1st half, we are down 14-3 (thank you defense) and have the ball on about the SF 20 with 3rd and 1. 1 failed rush by Gore on 3rd down and then t 4th and 1 run by Adams for a loss. I think we can all agree we wanted them to go for it there....but hated the call (and who ran it). We also lost Perriman on this dirve.

If you look at the game track, we had a 6 play drive (1st series punt), a 13 play drive (ended with a FG) and an 11 play drive that stalled on the 4th and 1.

Sam at that point was 9 of 11 for 65 yards with 1 drop by Hogan. Sam also had an 8 yard run for a 1st down. Most of the routes being run that I could see (without all 22 view) were outs and crosses. Not even sure if anyone went deep so game plan was probably to keep everything short and underneath to negate the SF pass rush. For all intents and purposes, it was working, BUT (and here's the damning part on Gase) once Bosa and Thomas go out, we don't deviate from that strategy....especially after it becomes 21-3.

The defense gave up another scoring drive before the half to make it 21-3, Perriman was out, Hogan got knicked up for a bit and Gase didn't adjust at the half.

100%. In the modern NFL, with the way Pass Interference is being called there is zero excuse not to take a long shot at least once per quarter. I get the pass rush thing but after it was clear that Boas and Thomas were out there was no adjustment. 

Also, in the pressers after the game , Gase keeps mentioning that the "defense dictated" X,Y,Z. As far as I know, there are times where the OFFENSE can dictate things as well. The defense should be reactive not the other way around. Bottom line is Gase has ZERO balls because even in games we are "supposed" to lose, he still is only concerned with limiting damage. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, pointman said:

The game turned when the game started and they ran for 80 yards on their first try. Their offensive coordinator said "ok fellas, lets soften them up with a run first and get a couple of yards.. then we'll unleash the aerial attack.."

*watches us get doused for 80 yards*

"Change of plans, men. These Jets are trashier than Stephen A Smith's MMA hot takes.. just do whatever you want. They suuuck".

This.  The game was over in 17 seconds.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This.  The game was over in 17 seconds.  

That was my feeling too JF80 until I re-watched it. We came back and made it 7-3 on a long drive. Even down 14-3 we were on the verge of getting more points off another long drive and imploded on 2 rushing attempts. The defense then spit the bit on the last SF drive of the half and we were done

4 minutes ago, Vader said:

That was the game. It was a terrible terrible decision and sequence of play calling.

you take the 3 and make it 14-6 there — a one score game in the first half.

gase should be fired just for that

I'll admit I was ok with going for it. I liked the aggressiveness. Gore was running well and figured even we could get 1 yard with 2 shots. Wrong again.

4 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

That was my feeling too JF80 until I re-watched it. We came back and made it 7-3 on a long drive. Even down 14-3 we were on the verge of getting more points off another long drive and imploded on 2 rushing attempts. The defense then spit the bit on the last SF drive of the half and we were done

Yes but that was on the Jets' 2nd possession, not the first.  We punted after 6 plays on the opening drive.  We didn't just drive right down the field in response to that.  I knew were toast basically right away in this one.

Sure, we eventually made it 7-3 the next drive, but failing to tie the game up with a TD after a 13-play drive was not good enough, and I knew it was only a matter of time before the 49ers would make it 14-3 on our tired defense. 

Given we only ended up scoring 13 points (and the TD came in garbage time), the Mostert run was basically all the 49ers needed to win the game.

34 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

With about 4:20 to go in the 1st half, we are down 14-3 (thank you defense) and have the ball on about the SF 20 with 3rd and 1. 1 failed rush by Gore on 3rd down and then the 4th and 1 run by Adams for a loss. I think we can all agree we wanted them to go for it there....but hated the call (and who ran it). We also lost Perriman on this dirve.

Sam at that point was 9 of 11 (or 12) for 65 yards with 1 drop by Hogan. Sam also had an 8 yard run for a 1st down. Most of the routes being run that I could see (without all 22 view) were outs and crosses. Not even sure if anyone went deep so game plan was probably to keep everything short and underneath to negate the SF pass rush. For all intents and purposes, it was working, BUT (and here's the damning part on Gase) once Bosa and Thomas go out, we don't deviate from that strategy....especially after it becomes 21-3.

The only thing Gase regrets about the 4th and 1 play call was that it wasn't a bubble screen.

40 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Thank you. I was at the only car show so far this year and missed it.  Sounds like I didn't miss much. Ugh ! 

38 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

100%. In the modern NFL, with the way Pass Interference is being called there is zero excuse not to take a long shot at least once per quarter. I get the pass rush thing but after it was clear that Boas and Thomas were out there was no adjustment. 

Also, in the pressers after the game , Gase keeps mentioning that the "defense dictated" X,Y,Z. As far as I know, there are times where the OFFENSE can dictate things as well. The defense should be reactive not the other way around. Bottom line is Gase has ZERO balls because even in games we are "supposed" to lose, he still is only concerned with limiting damage. 

He's got a lot of Bruce Coslet in him.  

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I agree.  But Bruce loved to put the ball down the field.   Obie to Walker and Toon.

I just had a flashback - remember Dick Steinberg told Bruce he would fire him if he would not give up the play calling duties and hire an OC - welp we know how that turned out.  Too bad there's nobody to threaten Gase like that.

• Haha 1