La'Michal Perine

jetstream23

Limited action on Sunday in his first game as a Pro vs. SF.  He got 3 carries for 17 yards (5.7 avg, Long run of 10 yards), no targets in the passing game.

Definitely one of the guys in this lost season that we'll want to see more.  We know the passing game will be tough sledding and there aren't many healthy pass catchers right now.  But with a decent OLine that is currently healthy and Bell out for a few weeks, Perine should be getting at least 10+ touches every game going forward IMO.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

How many lost seasons have we had where the HC refuses to put young guys on the field to see what we’ve got?

It seems like an every year thing

Because these coaches are playing for their jobs and they trust the old guys more than the young guys.  That's a valid argument for cutting the cord early and bringing in a new (or even interim) HC with a mandate to give the younger players an equal shot at playing time.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

How many lost seasons have we had where the HC refuses to put young guys on the field to see what we’ve got?

Whats the obsession with young guys around here? Does no one like that we have a 43 year old Gore who runs 2 and 3 trap dive plays?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

But, we have to figure out what our 37-year old back up has left to know if we want to bring him back at 38.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Limited action on Sunday in his first game as a Pro vs. SF.  He got 3 carries for 17 yards (5.7 avg, Long run of 10 yards), no targets in the passing game.

Definitely one of the guys in this lost season that we'll want to see more.  We know the passing game will be tough sledding and there aren't many healthy pass catchers right now.  But with a decent OLine that is currently healthy and Bell out for a few weeks, Perine should be getting at least 10+ touches every game going forward IMO.

I don't  think Gore will last the entire season if we give him a workload like Sunday every game. We should see more of him. Bell can go on perm IR for all I care.  What a bad signing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I mean, statisticlly, you are very likely to be correct, but it would be nice if he could take some carries away from Grandpa Frank. 

I saw him twice, in person, at the Swamp.  He has backup caliber athleticism.

His best talent is short yardage and goal line.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

guys in this lost season that we'll want to see more.

yup. Mims. the G they drafted, Clark...  the CB

We started LAST YEAR... with an OL...  whcih was, iirc, completely changed by years end.

And this years is also completely changed. Thats pretty abnormal, afaik.

Our current OL may not be the OL that finishes the year ( w/o mentioning the bugaboo of injuries)

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

I saw him twice, in person, at the Swamp.  He has backup caliber athleticism.

His best talent is short yardage and goal line.  

Have u seen his highlights. Looks to me like he broke some long runs for TD's. In either case he's young and strong and probably the best RB we have right now.

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I mean, statisticlly, you are very likely to be correct, but it would be nice if he could take some carries away from Grandpa Frank. 

our OL is a JAG + Mehki Pancakes...until proven otherwise. they still get blown up 2 frequently. see GVR whiff on 4th d.

fwiw, this guy saw some time...  waived from LA...   had a sack in the super bowl....    was on IR all last year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

yup. Mims. the G they drafted, Clark...  the CB

We started LAST YEAR... with an OL...  whcih was, iirc, completely changed by years end.

And this years is also completely changed. Thats pretty abnormal, afaik.

Our current OL may not be the OL that finishes the year ( w/o mentioning the bugaboo of injuries)

Last year's line started with a D grade the first few weeks IMO.  By season's end I'd argue it was at about a C.... maybe a C+ for a couple games in that final 8 game stretch.  They were barely adequate over the second half of the year and kept Darnold mostly upright, but the Jets weren't imposing their will in the running game behind that line and the QB was still scrambling for his life and trying to improvise.  Darnold's escapability bailed out the OLine several times last year.

This year I'd argue the OLine has started at about a C+ with some glimpses of solid B play here and there.  But it's an entirely new group and if they stay healthy I think they'll only get better and more comfortable with each other.  A lot of credit goes to Coach Frank Pollack, a guy who is well-respected but took a lot of heat last year because he couldn't turn dog meat into a tasty filet mignon.  I'm glad they kept him.

51 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Last year's line started with a D grade the first few weeks IMO.  By season's end I'd argue it was at about a C.... maybe a C+ for a couple games in that final 8 game stretch.  They were barely adequate over the second half of the year and kept Darnold mostly upright, but the Jets weren't imposing their will in the running game behind that line and the QB was still scrambling for his life and trying to improvise.  Darnold's escapability bailed out the OLine several times last year.

This year I'd argue the OLine has started at about a C+ with some glimpses of solid B play here and there.  But it's an entirely new group and if they stay healthy I think they'll only get better and more comfortable with each other.  A lot of credit goes to Coach Frank Pollack, a guy who is well-respected but took a lot of heat last year because he couldn't turn dog meat into a tasty filet mignon.  I'm glad they kept him.

what i am tryna get at is...  that OL is  in-progress.... the guys we want to be on the field for WR arent. Perine will be worked more the next 2 games, imo. we need to give sam time more consistently with crowda and mims.... hoges can be 3rd if no udfa steps up... I think perriman will just keep gettimg hurt.

we crawling up from the OL basement and the C is hammied. hhmmpph.  it sucks when the D is leaking and the O sputters like a drunken donkey...     

• Upvote 1

our OL is a JAG + Mehki Pancakes...until proven otherwise. they still get blown up 2 frequently. see GVR whiff on 4th d.
fwiw, this guy saw some time...  waived from LA...   had a sack in the super bowl....    was on IR all last year.

[/url]  
And yet it's twice as good as last year

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

That was a big Herman Edwards things. Always played the vets. 

This is 100% correct and it was maddening. I actually remember all the free stuff they gave out at Hofstra. The booklet, the roster sheets, the key chains Etc.

I don't remember names, but I remember calling my old man and telling him about all of the young offensive Talent we had on the roster. Herm Edwards just sat on them and never played them.

In fact I believe this bled over into the Mangini era as well. There were lots of skill-position players that were underutilized. Jerricho Cotchery ring a bell?