What does it say about all of us that we stick by this franchise?

Jetsfan80

50 years since a Super Bowl appearance and 10 years since our last playoff appearance.  Yet we're all still here.  Mostly, I find that the most entertainment I get from the Jets is from people like you all making jokes and self-loathing posts about the state of the Jets.  Misery certainly loves company.  The easiest thing is to just joke about it and basically just stop caring.  

But whether you still get emotional about losses or not anymore....what does it say about all of us that we continue to stick by this team?  Are we weak-minded for not just walking away entirely, or are we actually mentally tougher?  Are we loathsome lemmings, or people to be commended for not being fairweather and just jumping on a different bandwagon?  Because we certainly don't get any tangible rewards for loyalty to this dumb team, that's for sure.

• Upvote 3

When we have a season like this it's much easier to get through from an emotional standpoint then when we actually have a good team and lose games we need to win. 

I've been pretty numb the last few seasons. It's been all about Darnold and his development for me. That's my focus. I obviously want them to win but the losses don't sting as much right now. We're a total joke.

Part of me wants to see some off field drama for the Jets because what's taking place on the field is boring and bad. Plus maybe it will shame the owner into firing the coach. I'd love to see Gase go at it with the reporters. 

All it really says to me is that we were incredibly unlucky children. When we were kids and knew absolutely nothing about anything, we chose to start watching one of the worst run franchises in the history of professional sports (and that is a competitive list). Over time, we grew emotionally attached (which happens very quickly when you are young and impressionable) and now we are F*CKED

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Here are a few movie quotes to choose from!

Stupid is as stupid does-

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're goin to get-

this town needs an enema-

Mama said crocodiles are ornery because they have all those teeth and no toothbrush-

I don't know where you get your delusions from laser brain-

You sold my dead bird to a blind kid?

You're ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak-

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, F.Chowds said:

we need therapy,,, 

Well, this first of all. But I have been a Jets fan since before many (most?) of the people on this board were born. Always was a Jets fan, always will be a Jets fan. Can't really explain it; it's my team, and I will support them even if they do drive me to an early grave.

• Upvote 1

Looks like a lot of fans are not watching games.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/09/nfl-rumors-giants-jets-are-dragging-down-tv-ratings.html

The Jets' rating for the New York DMA was shockingly low — one of the team’s lowest on record. Competing against the U.S. Open at nearby Winged Foot, the team’s blowout loss to the 49ers registered a 3.9 local rating on FOX, which is closer to a regular-season Yankees rating than a normal NFL number. During Week 2 last year, the Jets pulled a 10.5 for its Monday night blowout loss to the Browns.

The 0-2 Giants pulled a 7.4 rating in New York for its loss to the Bears, which was carried on CBS. Last year in Week 2, the Giants had a 10.0 local rating for a loss to the Bills.

1 minute ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/09/nfl-rumors-giants-jets-are-dragging-down-tv-ratings.html

The Jets' rating for the New York DMA was shockingly low — one of the team’s lowest on record. Competing against the U.S. Open at nearby Winged Foot, the team’s blowout loss to the 49ers registered a 3.9 local rating on FOX, which is closer to a regular-season Yankees rating than a normal NFL number. During Week 2 last year, the Jets pulled a 10.5 for its Monday night blowout loss to the Browns.

The 0-2 Giants pulled a 7.4 rating in New York for its loss to the Bears, which was carried on CBS. Last year in Week 2, the Giants had a 10.0 local rating for a loss to the Bills.

If I commented about the 1st 2 games, I would have been lying out my teeth, because after the first Bills touchdown, I turned the game off and haven't watched another down. I figure at 63, I might finally have better things to do lol...  I'll watch again, but probably not until GASE is GONE...

6 minutes ago, viffer said:

Well, this first of all. But I have been a Jets fan since before many (most?) of the people on this board were born. Always was a Jets fan, always will be a Jets fan. Can't really explain it; it's my team, and I will support them even if they do drive me to an early grave.

Been a fan since the 1960 Titans when I was 16 I agree with the bolded part.:beer:

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And we'll make life a living hell for the bandwagoners who try to glom on.  

Oh man it’d be a bloodbath.

Ran into a guy with a Jets hat here in Germany last weekend. Had a good chat about how terrible we are. I’ve bumped into people wearing Dallas and Pats fear before and usually they don’t even know their practice squad players’ blood types. Poseurs!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Those of us on this site are probably the only ones watching...

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

50 years since a Super Bowl appearance and 10 years since our last playoff appearance.  Yet we're all still here.  Mostly, I find that the most entertainment I get from the Jets is from people like you all making jokes and self-loathing posts about the state of the Jets.  Misery certainly loves company.  The easiest thing is to just joke about it and basically just stop caring.  

But whether you still get emotional about losses or not anymore....what does it say about all of us that we continue to stick by this team?  Are we weak-minded for not just walking away entirely, or are we actually mentally tougher?  Are we loathsome lemmings, or people to be commended for not being fairweather and just jumping on a different bandwagon?  Because we certainly don't get any tangible rewards for loyalty to this dumb team, that's for sure.

For me, quitting is not an option. So not rooting for the Jets was never a consideration. I really feel like being a fan isn't something I could turn off.

I can't step away to go to the bathroom when the Jets are down by 20 + against the Niners. If they are playing I will be watching and rooting.

The losing is painful, no doubt. But they will get it right some day. When they do it will all have been worth it.

• Upvote 3