Finally A Somewhat Optimistic (And Hopeful) View

BettyBoop

There were several key objectives for the 2020 season.  We needed to determine if Gase is the right guy to lead this team.  We now know beyond a shadow of a doubt he is not.  We needed to determine if Darnold is the QB of the future.  Based on the first two weeks we just don't know.  Personally, I think he, is although I would like to see more passion from him.  Tom Brady is a California guy and he is bursting with passion.  Dial it up Sam!  I understand that he has been somewhat neutered by Gase but he needs to show something.  We also needed to determine if we have a talent evaluator to bring us out of the malaise.  It appears Douglas has hit a grand slam with Becton and maybe even Mann.  The others need to get on the field so they can be evaluated.  As long as Gase is in charge that will never happen.  

I've toiled for days to come up with a reasonably optimistic scenario and here it is:

• The bye has finally arrived and even Chris Johnson cannot deal with the 1-9 record and finally Gase is fired and Johnson gives the interim reigns to Greg Williams.  Before we all go too crazy and say that GW doesn't even deserve the interim title, ask yourself what difference does it make.  Johnson's edict is just make these guys earn their pay, conduct NFL caliber practices and not look like a bunch of horses asses out there.
  • With several of the rookies back from the trainers table and with nothing to lose, GW plays his rookies to see what they're made of.  Mims, Perrine, Bryce Hall, Zuniga, Cager and Cameron Clark all start or play significant minutes.  And most do well!  And Darnold thrives.  In fact, he looks like a different guy out there., as he does his best Brett Favre impression.  This scenario would benefit the team in three ways.  It would prove that Darnold is THE guy (or not); it would prove that Douglas can draft (or not) and it would provide a better basis for what is needed in 2021.
  • Roger Goodell speaks to the Johnsons to try to influence them to conduct an NFL caliber search for a new head coach led by Douglas.  Whether or not they listen is the biggest question mark of all.  Gotta think the NFL is not happy with the state of both New York(-ish) teams and intervenes accordingly.

This is the best and plausible scenario.

1 minute ago, BettyBoop said:

Roger Goodell speaks to the Johnsons to try to influence them to conduct an NFL caliber search for a new head coach

If the Johnsons aren't capable and smart enough to find there own HC along with JD heres what should happen.

JD fired. 

Johnsons sell the team. 

The NFL should not be involved with anything the last time Charlie Casserly helped us id didn't work out. 

This is NFL football we are not reinventing the wheel. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If the Johnsons aren't capable and smart enough to find there own HC along with JD heres what should happen.

JD fired. 

Johnsons sell the team. 

The NFL should not be involved with anything the last time Charlie Casserly helped us id didn't work out. 

Charlie Casserly is not the NFL.  There is no plausible way Douglas is fired for another few years, if ever.  Even less likely is the Johnson's selling of the team.  The NFL got involved with the New York Giants and pushed them to hire George Young when the G-Men were the laughing stock of the league.  I'm not suggesting the league mandate anything, just provide input to help the two knuckleheads who own the team.  

Hey, what else could we hope for?  They're not coming to that conclusion on their own!

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

JD fired. 

Johnsons sell the team. 

Would this scenario be the way it would play out if you were running the team?

4 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Charlie Casserly is not the NFL.  There is no plausible way Douglas is fired for another few years, if ever.  Even less likely is the Johnson's selling of the team.  The NFL got involved with the New York Giants and pushed them to hire George Young when the G-Men were the laughing stock of the league.  I'm not suggesting the league mandate anything, just provide input to help the two knuckleheads who own the team.  

Hey, what else could we hope for?  They're not coming to that conclusion on their own!

Sell the team to someone who can make the right football decisions. 

6 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

And the Jets aren't? The major difference is that the Giants were one of the flagship franchises in the league, with a rich tradition of winning, though obviously had been struggling for a decade. Wellington Mara was an icon in the league. The Jets have no rich tradition, assuming losing doesn't count. The Johnsons more than likely are viewed as dopes, who only make it easier for their fellow owners to do well. In fact, I would bet the other AFC owners would block any move by the NFL to try to get rid of them. The only caveat would be if the fan base just revolts and nobody goes to the games, and the place turns into Jacksonville. Then they might take action.

Darnold looks like he's got the stuff. He threw a few darts last week. A couple drops hurt him, and that escape and throw on the run was really nice.

I am sure this is an oversimplification, but I swear I can see him go the way of the Sanchez. Sanchez also showed some flashes early on with comebacks, gritty plays, etc. Also a pretty raw talent coming out. I think he was ruined by mismanagement. Not saying he was going to be Mahomes or Rodgers or whatever, but I think from a support and management perspective, it could have been better.

I think Darnold has better stuff than Sanchez and, with the right support, I still think he could be good.

I guess we'll see. Certainly if we don't see more improvement this year, it will definitely be time to worry. It's not like he's going to magically get a better line, WRs, and RBs, but hopefully we keep seeing better throws, decision making, etc.

40 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Personally, I think he, is although I would like to see more passion from him.  Tom Brady is a California guy and he is bursting with passion.  Dial it up Sam! 

Couldn't agree more... If I were him, I would be mad as hell. If I were him my conversation with Gase for the next game would be.  "Stay the F out of my way, I'm calling all the plays in the huddle next week, if you try and call a play, I'll audible out of it... later"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sell the team to someone who can make the right football decisions. 

Woody would NEVER sell the team, the reason why is:  He bought the team for one reason and one reason only - tax deductions!  Woody amortized the cost of the team over a 15 year period and recovered that cost on his tax returns - probably not paying any income tax whatsoever during that time (prolly has an NOL carryover).  Right now Woody has a ZERO tax basis in the team, if he sold now the entire sales price would be LT Capital gain income to him and one hell of a tax bill.   Logically he will hold the team until death and the team will be part of his estate - at the date of death, his heirs would get a step up in basis to the FMW of the Jets at the time of death, tho I am sure he is doing some kind of estate planning to lesson the tax burden on the estate.  Point being, he will not sell no matter what. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

There were several key objectives for the 2020 season.  We needed to determine if Gase is the right guy to lead this team.  We now know beyond a shadow of a doubt he is not.  We needed to determine if Darnold is the QB of the future.  Based on the first two weeks we just don't know.  Personally, I think he, is although I would like to see more passion from him.  Tom Brady is a California guy and he is bursting with passion.  Dial it up Sam!  I understand that he has been somewhat neutered by Gase but he needs to show something.  We also needed to determine if we have a talent evaluator to bring us out of the malaise.  It appears Douglas has hit a grand slam with Becton and maybe even Mann.  The others need to get on the field so they can be evaluated.  As long as Gase is in charge that will never happen.  

I've toiled for days to come up with a reasonably optimistic scenario and here it is:

• The bye has finally arrived and even Chris Johnson cannot deal with the 1-9 record and finally Gase is fired and Johnson gives the interim reigns to Greg Williams.  Before we all go too crazy and say that GW doesn't even deserve the interim title, ask yourself what difference does it make.  Johnson's edict is just make these guys earn their pay, conduct NFL caliber practices and not look like a bunch of horses asses out there.
  • With several of the rookies back from the trainers table and with nothing to lose, GW plays his rookies to see what they're made of.  Mims, Perrine, Bryce Hall, Zuniga, Cager and Cameron Clark all start or play significant minutes.  And most do well!  And Darnold thrives.  In fact, he looks like a different guy out there., as he does his best Brett Favre impression.  This scenario would benefit the team in three ways.  It would prove that Darnold is THE guy (or not); it would prove that Douglas can draft (or not) and it would provide a better basis for what is needed in 2021.
  • Roger Goodell speaks to the Johnsons to try to influence them to conduct an NFL caliber search for a new head coach led by Douglas.  Whether or not they listen is the biggest question mark of all.  Gotta think the NFL is not happy with the state of both New York(-ish) teams and intervenes accordingly.

Playing a game of Clue must take 7 hours in your house.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, jgb said:

Playing a game of Clue must take 7 hours in your house.

I love how people are saying "It's only been 2 games!" when it comes to evaluating Darnold.  As if his previous 26 starts are meaningless.  

When will the sample size be large enough to know he's not the guy?  40 starts?  60?

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

And the Jets aren't? The major difference is that the Giants were one of the flagship franchises in the league, with a rich tradition of winning, though obviously had been struggling for a decade. Wellington Mara was an icon in the league. The Jets have no rich tradition, assuming losing doesn't count. The Johnsons more than likely are viewed as dopes, who only make it easier for their fellow owners to do well. In fact, I would bet the other AFC owners would block any move by the NFL to try to get rid of them. The only caveat would be if the fan base just revolts and nobody goes to the games, and the place turns into Jacksonville. Then they might take action.

Yes, they are!  That's my point!

I'm not suggesting the NFL get involved with who owns the team.  They would never do that.  But they certainly can suggest that they go through a proper search led by the GM.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

But there are many other douches like him affiliated with the NFL who think they can fix the NY Jets and the Johnsons have no clue so its not rinse wash and repeat. 

We're in violent agreement here.  Just let the GM, who you gave a six year contract to, decide who the next coach will be and let the knuckleheads have a courtesy interview at the end.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

The way I see it, there are two ways up.

1. Darnold shows improvement and puts together a decent performance on the season.  Gase is fired at the end of the season.  JD brings in Greg Roman and they use their impressive hand of draft picks to load the team with affordable rookie skill.  The sky is the limit. 

1. Darnold continues to suck.  Gase is fired at the end of the season.  JD brings in Greg Roman and they use their impressive hand of draft picks to add a new QB.  Possibly Trevor Lawrence.  The sky is the limit. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I love how people are saying "It's only been 2 games!" when it comes to evaluating Darnold.  As if his previous 26 starts are meaningless.  

When will the sample size be large enough to know he's not the guy?  40 starts?  60?

my thesis sticks... "doing it the right way" "protect Sam" means taking lumps when we lose and not cannabalizing one another.

JD and GAse believe in Sam ( so does our loathsome ownership) so they are both here thru nextyear... when we have a sh*t ton of picks and some $$$$

so...they are gonna try to get teh OL together, so far not a horrible start this year, probbaly up several notches from last year to  this  point...

FO has us at 25 run blocking and 15 pass blockin

(we finished 31 and 30 last year)

get the guys they drafted in there, Mims/Perine the guard, Clark?.... one of the UDFA WRs, Cager

both Gase and Sam may be the wrong guys...   doesnt have to be binary... but we're stuck w/ both thru 2021 from my POV