Sam Darnold Discussion Thread: MERGED

jetstream23

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Sams is so inconsistent, he’ll have a great game this week, leaving us all baffled at what to think.
It’ll be...”Give him more weapons and just watch!!”  

He's an enigma thus far, no doubt about it.  But he's had very good second halves to both seasons so far....which is hard to figure out.

Sam-Darnold-Grades.thumb.jpg.5ac9eb3623954b1d55aca944ffcee785.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

It just seems like one of those situations where he would leave the Jets and then suddenly do great elsewhere. Toxic in Gaseland? 

Sam is going to be a Fantastic 12-15 year backup journeyman QB in the NFL. 

There are worse fates, and far, far worse careers. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

He's an enigma thus far, no doubt about it.  But he's had very good second halves to both seasons so far....which is hard to figure out.

There was a weird comment on TNF: “Clyde Edwards-Helaire is the first running back to get drafted in the first round by a SuperBowl winner to then run for over 100 yards”. 

It’s hard to get excited about a highly specific stat with some abstract condition.  Saying Sam is really really good (not the best mind you; top-3) but only if you look at these 3-4 game stretches... seems forced.  I like reading them too, but it’s easy to see how this sort of framing neglects the reality which is, Sam is only really really good for 3-4 games in a row. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

58 minutes ago, SAR I said:

When is Joe Flacco healthy?

SAR I

I believe he'll be ready week 3 for our road game vs Colts. Flacco's last game he played last year was at the Colts as the Broncos starter. Kinda poetic Flacco's first game back is at the same Lucas Oil Stadium were his season ended last year. 

• Upvote 1

I mean all you had to do was watch last weeks game. Sam had all the time in the world to throw and guys wide open by three four five yards and he couldn't do sh*t. Meanwhile, Josh Allen had to fit those precision passes of his into tight windows and was under a barrage of Jet pass rushers EVERY SINGLE play and yet somehow turned that chicken sh*t into chicken salad. There was one play in particular, I think it might have been in the third quarter when he had a John Brown in the back of the endzone and Brown failed to jump the necessary 7 feet in the air to catch the ball delivered by Big Josh. Made him look bad.

This is why he's not only the best QB in the NFL in my opinion, but probably the best to ever lace on a pair of cleats. Those lucky Bills.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

There was a weird comment on TNF: “Clyde Edwards-Helaire is the first running back to get drafted in the first round by a SuperBowl winner to then run for over 100 yards”. 

It’s hard to get excited about a highly specific stat with some abstract condition.  Saying Sam is really really good (not the best mind you; top-3) but only if you look at these 3-4 game stretches... seems forced.  I like reading them too, but it’s easy to see how this sort of framing neglects the reality which is, Sam is only really really good for 3-4 games in a row. 

The graphics together showed 8 consecutive weeks with Sam as either #1 or #2.... 

34 minutes ago, Vader said:

The graphics together showed 8 consecutive weeks with Sam as either #1 or #2.... 

No, check the dates.  Shoot, check the uniforms even. 

In 2018, he was #2 behind Mahomes. 
In 2019, the asterisk says he was #3. 

Just weird that the particular weeks (10-13, and then 14-17) line up like that.  Maybe this year he’s going to kill it weeks 6-9, lol.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Allen was always intriguing but the bottom line was he was and is very inaccurate and not great at reading defenses.  Perhaps he will get better at the latter and as a result improve on the former.    If he ever can put it all together (which is doubtful), he would right up to the head of the class with the top young quarterbacks in the game.   As far as Darnold is concerned, that is the word I have to use; concerned.  I have been on his bandwagon since we drafted him (although, I didn't like the trade up at the time).   Last Sunday was very disturbing but I am not prepared to consider the B word.   Still, it is looking like he may not be our franchise quarterback.   Did the drafting of James Morgan mess with his head some how?   If so, he doesn't have the mental toughness to make it here.    Time will tell, and I am hoping he turns it around big time.   However, my optimism has dampened considerably.  

20 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm not a tape guy but every time I see Darnold play there is this underlying level of chaos that just seems to follow him around.  Dudes like Brady are just so much smoother.  I don't know if it's all Sam with the happy feet and the quirky angles, or if it's an unclean pocket, or if it's crap receivers who can't create separation. But even with a weak armed Pennington there just seemed to be more of a machine like precision that just moved the sticks...

I'm starting to think it's Sam.  I was comparing him to Burrow the other night and not saying he will be the next great young QB but you could already see the poise this kid has and his command of the offense.  He was making throws to windows that I felt would probably be INTs if thrown by Sam.  He just seemed crisper and more disciplined in his movements and decision making. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

A fair evaluation will have to wait until Darnold has the simultaneous luxury of a healthy backfield, receiving corps and offensive line. It's hard to find a less talented supporting cast entering Week 2.

I hear you, but a lot of tape guys keep showing plays where Sam just blew it.  At some point the QB has to make the supporting cast better, not the other way around...

• Post of the Week 2

On 9/19/2020 at 1:23 AM, The Crusher said:

Certainly was in week 1. Pretty confident he’ll surpass Baker this week. 

Little late for that dawg

23 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Sam is an enigma just like a book is an enigma to anyone who hasn’t bothered to read it. Not liking the implications of the available evidence doesn’t make him a mystery.

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

A fair evaluation will have to wait until Darnold has the simultaneous luxury of a healthy backfield, receiving corps and offensive line. It's hard to find a less talented supporting cast entering Week 2.

Elite QBs can only be evaluated in laboratory conditions where every other variable is controlled.

On 9/19/2020 at 5:32 PM, peekskill68 said:

I hear you, but a lot of tape guys keep showing plays where Sam just blew it.  At some point the QB has to make the supporting cast better, not the other way around...

Who is going to make this group of WRs better?  No one is, I get the cliche that great players make the supporting cast better but that doesnt apply here IMO.  The cast has been hideous.  We hear how Brady the GOAT had nothing around him last season and its used as a reason for his drop off but with Sam its the reverse?  

If Sam Darnold needs everything to be perfect for us to evaluate him then we know he's not franchise

What you're describing are the conditions a game manager requires

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Who is going to make this group of WRs better?  No one is, I get the cliche that great players make the supporting cast better but that doesnt apply here IMO.  The cast has been hideous.  We hear how Brady the GOAT had nothing around him last season and its used as a reason for his drop off but with Sam its the reverse?  

Robby Anderson is currently top 5 in yards.

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If Sam Darnold needs everything to be perfect for us to evaluate him then we know he's not franchise

What you're describing are the conditions a game manager requires

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

And that’s a cliche that doesn’t hold true anywhere else.