Sam Darnold Discussion Thread: MERGED

jetstream23

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

This. 

It's Year 3.  No NFL quarterback should need reminding about which foot to throw off of or how to bring the team out of a huddle on time.  That's covered in junior high school.  Darnold watches more film on himself than any of us do and it's not sinking in.  

Quiet, unemotional, and stupid are not traits of franchise quarterbacks.  Most are loud, emotional, and sharp as a tack.  

SAR I

You sound like Dean Wormer talking to Flounder in Animal House?

• Post of the Week 2

We were warned before he was even a Jet that his footwork was bad, to put it lightly. The cow on ice scouting report and turnover prone liabilities sure have proven to be correct.

Kind of shocking to see how little its improved in three years, but that's just him.

• WTF? 1

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its amazing that fans actually believe that good QBs never throw off their back foot and that every back foot throw is a bad pass 

Just a few examples, of course it can work in some situations.  The Buffalo INT was thrown across the middle while running to the sidelines, another example of mechanics and decision-making taught since high school JV.  Running out of bounds and taking a loss instead of throwing the ball away, I think they teach that in college, USC is pretty good, not sure.

Either way, it's not coaching at this point.  It's Year 3.  Darnold had 3+ months quarantined with his personal quarterback whisperer in California.  He's got the same playbook as last year.  Every offensive coach and coordinator returned from last year.  Having no weapons to throw to isn't Sam's fault just like it's not Gase's fault.  But dumb QB stuff is dumb QB stuff.  It's on Darnold.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, slats said:

So this is your plan, I guess? Go full anti-Darnold in a effort to salvage your insanely positive takes on Adam Gase? 

To clarify again:  I am no Adam Gase fan.  But I saw enough last year in trying times to believe he may be an excellent head coach and not a great offensive coordinator, and for that I am encouraged.  Offensive coordinators are dime-a-dozen.  Strong head coaches who can handle New York and a bunch of babies in the locker room is a tall order.  This season for Gase unfortunately its more of same with the injuries so it's another opportunity for Gase to show us he can rally the troops and get them to perform at a higher level than they've shown.  To expect him to beat two playoff teams without all the new offensive weapons replacing the ones we lost is foolish.

Otherwise, I don't care either way.  The HC isn't our problem so I'm not enraged which seems to be the Jets fan cliche right now.  We need to get a roster that is talented and can stay healthy before we make a move at the HC.  It's pointless to dump Gase before validating him and pointless to hire a bad replacement who will face the same challenges, the same dumb fans, and the same brutal media.

SAR I

51 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

That's your opinion and that's fine. But Sam was a great athlete growing up. He played basketball. For football he was a wide receiver, and middle linebacker in high school until he was moved to QB late. He was recruited initially by USC as a linebacker and then eventually was brought there to play QB.

He played 2 years of college football at QB and then was drafted by the Jets. He's never had great mechanics. You would never teach someone his mechanics. He's a great athlete playing the position. Watch the TD throw to Berrios in garbage time.

He didn’t move to QB late. He was played QB his whole life. He was a backup QB/ LB/ TE until his sophomore year when he began to overtake the starter. He was supposed to be the starter during his Junior year but got injured. He attended elite 11 camps as a QB since he was 15. He was a dual threat in the sense that he could run and throw pretty well. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And all of this has nothing to do with the media etc all sending the message that Brady was down because of a lack of weapons.  Thats all

Boy I wish our QB could throw for 4,000 yards, 24TDs, 8 INT and go 12-4 and have the media feel the need to make excuses for him.

We make excuses for a guy who plays quarterback more like Logan Thomas than Thomas Brady.

By the way, no one is disputing it was said. You're arguing against yourself about a point that interests no one. I am arguing the comment was (a) stupid and (b) that anything said about Tom Brady has 0.0000% relevance to Sam Darnold. He hasn't earned that.

• WTF? 1

Hey I'll bet you that I can put together a band of musicians in a week and play some cover songs in your backyard for about an hour! But it certainly won't be worthy of a $200 ticket at Madison Square Garden!

Don't you think you guys are going off the deep end? Who's the next group of receivers he's throwing to this week? Oh wait Chris Herndon is going to save the day he hasn't played in two years? Le'Veon Bell sucks and is probably out for the season. Perine is a rookie. Lawrence Cager is the equivalent of Randy Moss and how come we haven't traded for Juju Smith Schuster right?

Can you really blame Darnold or Adam Gase For This? Did I just not see mono, unprecedented amounts of injuries, a pandemic and no preseason football? We don't have 4 new players on our offensive line right?

Why don't you guys get a f****** grip!?

Gase is always applauding Darnold on how he does in practice!!! IMO that is practice it isn't the same as playing a real game!!!! Defenses dial it up a knotch to hit the QB or ruin the play!!!! Of course he is going to look good in practice because there is no pressure on him at all!!!

I honestly believe his problems are mainly reading defenses. I notice he doesn't make adjustments on the line or calls enough audibles to change the play.  Peyton Manning was coached by Gase and Manning constantly change the play at the line because he read the defense. Manning knew how to read defenses and always did something on his audibles which made him very successful. 

I believe that is one of his problems and reason for the many mental mistakes.

52 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He didn’t move to QB late. He was played QB his whole life. He was a backup QB/ LB/ TE until his sophomore year when he began to overtake the starter. He was supposed to be the starter during his Junior year but got injured. He attended elite 11 camps as a QB since he was 15. He was a dual threat in the sense that he could run and throw pretty well. 

He was recruited to USC initially as a linebacker. He was a basketball star in High School. He was not solely focused on the QB position growing up. 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Boy I wish our QB could throw for 4,000 yards, 24TDs, 8 INT and go 12-4 and have the media feel the need to make excuses for him.

We make excuses for a guy who plays quarterback more like Logan Thomas than Thomas Brady.

By the way, no one is disputing it was said. You're arguing against yourself about a point that interests no one. I am arguing the comment was (a) stupid and (b) that anything said about Tom Brady has 0.0000% relevance to Sam Darnold. He hasn't earned that.

Again, I said the media was been saying that Brady wasn't the same due to lack of weapons.  That was in response to another post stating QBs make WRs not the other way around.  The Brady comments fit

No one is arguing anything here, I dont argue anymore.  Im done defending what was the narrative by others, not me

39 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

That is not true. He was a 4 star QB prospect exclusively.

He was contacted by Justin Wilcox, the USC defensive coordinator to come and play for them as an outside linebacker and declined initially. 

You are correct though that dual threat meant at QB and not other positions. That was my mistake, you're right. But USC was not initially interested in him coming in and playing QB. 

Regardless, you wouldn't teach his mechanics to anyone. 

• WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He was contacted by Justin Wilcox, the USC defensive coordinator to come and play for them as an outside linebacker and declined initially. 

You are correct though that dual threat meant at QB and not other positions. That was my mistake, you're right. But USC was not initially interested in him coming in and playing QB. 

Regardless, you wouldn't teach his mechanics to anyone. 

Oh his mechanics suck but he’s been engrained in the QB creation process since before his sophomore year of high school.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

This. 

It's Year 3.  No NFL quarterback should need reminding about which foot to throw off of or how to bring the team out of a huddle on time.  That's covered in junior high school.  Darnold watches more film on himself than any of us do and it's not sinking in.  

Quiet, unemotional, and stupid are not traits of franchise quarterbacks.  Most are loud, emotional, and sharp as a tack.  

SAR I

Darnold got a 28 on the Wonderlic and is emotional. Not sure why you say he is otherwise. He basically has a similar demeanor as Brady. Your statement that most QBs are loud is demonstrably false.

• Upvote 1