Sam Darnold Discussion Thread: MERGED

jetstream23

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, sure, yeah.  He's going to get the whole season.  We didn't hear reports of James Morgan lighting TC on fire, and Flacco is only here to save a good season if there was an injury.  So, he'll get the whole season.  But, JD and co. need to be heavily scouting the top QBs.  That's the tweet.  That's it.  Nothing we've seen so far means we aren't in the market for a QB.

I agree with all of this. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

This is also hyperbolic and again fueled by emotion.  Sam had plenty of opportunities throughout his career to demonstrate the skills mentioned.  Yes, the offensive line was bad, and yes the WRs are bad, but it's not like he never had a chance to throw from the pocket, and it's not like the WRs are never open.  And, some of these issues are of his own making, because he doesn't process like a QB (He has very little experience being one).  But, no one is asking him to be Manning.  He's not, and he never will be.  But, at the regular, old, boring, bread and butter QB stuff, he's not only not Peyton Manning, but he hasn't demonstrated that he's adequate.  Yes, he had some drops, but all QBs do.  Most QBs can rebound from it.  Sam, more rarely makes these plays, so a drop all but guarantees a 3-and-out.  And, no one is saying he never throws an on target pass.  The point is, he throws them too infrequently to be successful at this level.  

Last year's OL was a trainwreck.  I can't blame Sam if he didn't "get into a rhythm".

I really don't think he's had a fair chance yet here.  I want to see how he performs in a "good situation" (e.g. reasonably good quality OL and weapons) first before I'm going to lose faith.  He has too much potential (at least, imo) to not do that. 

Again, if we're in a position to draft Trevor Lawrence, then I'm on-board.  But, in the meantime, it's not like I've lost hope that Sam will become a FQB.

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, sure, yeah.  He's going to get the whole season.  We didn't hear reports of James Morgan lighting TC on fire, and Flacco is only here to save a good season if there was an injury.  So, he'll get the whole season.  But, JD and co. need to be heavily scouting the top QBs.  That's the tweet.  That's it.  Nothing we've seen so far means we aren't in the market for a QB.

Agreed.  There's some saying that "you draft one every year until you find one".  (I forget from whom but, IIRC, it was someone high-profile).  I'm 100% in agreement with that philosophy.

My biggest concern is that I don't realistically see many, if any, quarterbacks fairing much better than Darnold has thus far.  The Jets have drafted poorly for a full decade.  The starters are weak, and the depth is even weaker.  It's a very tough environment for a quarterback to be consistent and/or successful.

The Jets are well on their way to ruining Darnold.  If they draft a replacement, is he just going to be the next victim?

5 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

My biggest concern is that I don't realistically see many, if any, quarterbacks fairing much better than Darnold has thus far.  The Jets have drafted poorly for a full decade.  The starters are weak, and the depth is even weaker.  It's a very tough environment for a quarterback to be consistent and/or successful.

The Jets are well on their way to ruining Darnold.  If they draft a replacement, is he just going to be the next victim?

Hence why Douglas traded Adams and why we have to put a lot of hope in those four 1st round picks he has over the next 2 drafts.  Plus the cap space we've built up.  

By 2021/2022 we need to have 2 viable outside WRs (Mims hopefully being one of them), upgrades at 2-3 OL spots (if Fant and McGovern aren't in that category, replace them) and a starting RB to pair with Perine (who is more of a Bilal Powell RB2 type).  Oh, and maybe a playmaking TE, too (I don't believe in Herndon).

Fortunately, that's all very doable.  And everything will look better if we have an exciting HC here, like Greg Roman.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Thanks for putting a number to this.

Wow.  Nearly half of his games have been complete zeros.

Guys, this is really bad.

Err, that's not accurate...

QBR (0-100 ESPN) was 19    which is AWFUL   anyway year 1 , 3 games (7, 9 and 17)

2019 2 games (1, and 21) 

overall 13 under 50

4 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

If I were Douglas, I'd look to make a deal for a real playmaker now

I'm more on board with this sentiment than I'd like to be. If there is an opportunity to trade for a guy who can actually play WR in the league and help evaluate Darnold in a non ridiculous fashion than I'm all for it.

I would love a trade for Allen Robinson but I'm not holding my breath. I'd be happy with a trade for Dede Westbrook at this point. We need a receiver that we already know at least belongs in the league.

Why are all of our resources so poorly allocated in positions that are not a premium with players who can't stay in the field. (Bell, Mosley) JFC

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This would be relevant if Darnold had demonstrated it was an outlier performance.  It wasn't.  It was actually fairly common.  12 of his 27 starts in the NFL have been about as bad as his Week 1 performance or worse.  

Tomorrow’s lesson: The correlation between sample size and P values. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Admittedly it's only one play but the play below is an example (and improvising like this is huge in today's NFL).  Plus he's still only like 23 years old and he hasn't been given any weapons (and I think Gase is a bad HC).  Plus this offseason was shortened due to Covid and Sam also has a brand new OL. 

Once we have some things in place, it should allow the game to slow down for him more.  THEN we can do a more proper evaluation of what we have here.  I still feel like he's got way too much potential to write-off this soon.  

I don’t disagree with anything you wrote. But this is an argument why he might not suck, not that he is good. 

• Upvote 1

They’re not wrong- not even a little. Only Sam can change that... His supporting cast ( even when whole) blows cock. Still I’ve said it many many times here. If he wants to change the narrative.... start making players around you better than they actually are.. that’s what good quarterbacks do. If he doesn’t... he won’t be around long and we can talk all about how the Jets ruined him- even though it won’t be true... if he’s good it’ll show and will have less to do with the sub standard losers around him.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I'm not a tape guy but every time I see Darnold play there is this underlying level of chaos that just seems to follow him around.  Dudes like Brady are just so much smoother.  I don't know if it's all Sam with the happy feet and the quirky angles, or if it's an unclean pocket, or if it's crap receivers who can't create separation. But even with a weak armed Pennington there just seemed to be more of a machine like precision that just moved the sticks...

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm not a tape guy but every time I see Darnold play there is this underlying level of chaos that just seems to follow him around.  Dudes like Brady are just so much smoother.  I don't know if it's all Sam with the happy feet and the quirky angles, or if it's an unclean pocket, or if it's crap receivers who can't create separation. But even with a weak armed Pennington there just seemed to be more of a machine like precision that just moved the sticks...

He plays QB like Charles Barkley swings a golf club. The college offense where the QB has his two legs parallel in the shotgun has always looked off and awkward. The only QB that pulled that off was Peyton.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

It just seems like one of those situations where he would leave the Jets and then suddenly do great elsewhere. Toxic in Gaseland? 

Odds of that are not worth continuing to tie our future to him. Criminal neglect to not have a colorable challenger in the QB room.

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Yes because he a is terrible NFL QB.