Sam Darnold Discussion Thread: MERGED

jetstream23

On 9/19/2020 at 5:32 PM, peekskill68 said:

I hear you, but a lot of tape guys keep showing plays where Sam just blew it.  At some point the QB has to make the supporting cast better, not the other way around...

I’m a huge Darnold guy but you’re 100% correct. Putting aside the 0-2 record I just need to see Sam play better, period. 

I still think we win 4 games but if it’s worse and we have a top two pick, Darnold is gone. New coach for JD neither of which selected Darnold will go in a different direction.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If Sam Darnold needs everything to be perfect for us to evaluate him then we know he's not franchise

What you're describing are the conditions a game manager requires

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

I was a holdout believer in the weapons and coaching argument but I’m beginning to come around to your point of view. I’m just looking for progression and not seeing it. He looked better in his rookie year than he does now and so many young QBs look better than him, aside from the obvious like Mahomes and Jackson , but also Murrey, Allen, Burrow and even Herbert yesterday. It’s very frustrating. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If Sam Darnold needs everything to be perfect for us to evaluate him then we know he's not franchise

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

This is true, but the conditions over the last 2+ years haven't merely been less than perfect, they have been abominable up and down the offense and on the sidelines, including two TERRBILE head coaches, an all-time bad OL, and practice squad level WR's.  

The team has been a joke and Joe Montana would look like a bum if he was here too. Darnold is in the midst of being ruined by this franchise, and that's how history will look back on his career if this madness continues.  

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And that’s a cliche that doesn’t hold true anywhere else.  

It is actually kinda true.

Think about the 01 Pats. They won that SB throwing to guys like Davis Patten and Fred Coleman... But they had Tom Brady.

Seahawks won the SB a few years back throwing to Percy Harvin and Doug Baldwin... But they had Russel Wilson.

Ravens won the SB a few years before that throwing to Jacoby Jones, Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin (barely broke 60 catches).

Anyway, the point is this. Truly great QB's elevate the players around them.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Who is going to make this group of WRs better?  No one is, I get the cliche that great players make the supporting cast better but that doesnt apply here IMO.  The cast has been hideous.  We hear how Brady the GOAT had nothing around him last season and its used as a reason for his drop off but with Sam its the reverse?  

Crowder is a top 10 NFL slot receiver.  Perriman, when given a chance to play, was the top producing NFL WR for the final 5 weeks of last season with Jameis Winston at QB.  Robby Anderson, who many of us had our doubts about, is lighting it up in Carolina with Bridgewater. Bell is a gifted pass catcher who can pick up blitzes. Agree with the dreck we rolled out yesterday, but there's been plenty of games in Sam's career where he's had a supporting cast of skill players adequate enough to be competitive and he just didn't produce.

Sam is young and needs a real coach and real talent around him.

It must be painful for sam to see allen getting diggs and murray getting hopkings-baker having OBJ and Landry

A young qb needs a qualty wr to help him succeed.

Is it possible Sam is not the guy?? Yes it is but I would have liked to have seen him with talent around him before he is let go -

5 minutes ago, DonMaynardFan said:

It is actually kinda true.

Think about the 01 Pats. They won that SB throwing to guys like Davis Patten and Fred Coleman... But they had Tom Brady.

Seahawks won the SB a few years back throwing to Percy Harvin and Doug Baldwin... But they had Russel Wilson.

Ravens won the SB a few years before that throwing to Jacoby Jones, Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin (barely broke 60 catches).

Anyway, the point is this. Truly great QB's elevate the players around them.

We don’t have WRs close to any of the WRs you listed.  

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Crowder is a top 10 NFL slot receiver.  Perriman, when given a chance to play, was the top producing NFL WR for the final 5 weeks of last season with Jameis Winston at QB.  Robby Anderson, who many of us had our doubts about, is lighting it up in Carolina with Bridgewater. Bell is a gifted pass catcher who can pick up blitzes. Agree with the dreck we rolled out yesterday, but there's been plenty of games in Sam's career where he's had a supporting cast of skill players adequate enough to be competitive and he just didn't produce.

You do realize that Perriman has been a bust his entire career and you’re using him as an example off of a full game?  Like Anderson   
Or that Crowder had his career best season last year with Darnold?

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You do realize that Perriman has been a bust his entire career and you’re using him as an example off of a full game?  Like Anderson   
Or that Crowder had his career best season last year with Darnold?

I'm not even sure what we're debating.  If you're saying Sam's supporting cast is below average, no argument.  If you're saying this is the reason for Sam being below average, we disagree...

1 hour ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Not so sure about that.

But the point is that none of those WR's were good.

Many were cut not long after they were in those Super Bowls.

WR's do not make QB's.

QB's make WR's.

Last year Brady was excused because of his lack of weapons.  Others have too.

Saying something simplistic to complain about a QB like they make WRs as a blanket statement to explain off our shlt group is too simplistic 

50 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Saying something simplistic to complain about a QB like they make WRs as a blanket statement to explain off our shlt group is too simplistic 

Brady was excused because he'd gotten old and people couldn't accept that.

Cam threw for nearly 400 yards last night with the same receivers.

You just proved my point.

32 minutes ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Brady was excused because he'd gotten old and people couldn't accept that.

Cam threw for nearly 400 yards last night with the same receivers.

You just proved my point.

And the same old guy has been picked to have a turn around season because of the Tampa WRs.  That he moved to Tampa for that reason.  

Brady outplayed Cam.  

Youse made my point.  

On 9/18/2020 at 9:50 PM, peekskill68 said:

I'm not a tape guy but every time I see Darnold play there is this underlying level of chaos that just seems to follow him around.  Dudes like Brady are just so much smoother.  I don't know if it's all Sam with the happy feet and the quirky angles, or if it's an unclean pocket, or if it's crap receivers who can't create separation. But even with a weak armed Pennington there just seemed to be more of a machine like precision that just moved the sticks...

The infamous ‘cow on ice’ Scouting report from pre-draft looked absolutely bang on the last two weeks, his body is just all over the place and he just looks rushed and panicky and he has no ‘good’ technique to fall back on in such situations.

that said he’s got the worst skill around him in the league but right now he looks like he’s in a Geno Smith career death spiral ...troubling

it’s becoming clear that Bates actually was a QB coach who had some clue in terms of helping Sam technique wise because it feels like Darnold was way advanced as a rookie and his poise and release just didn’t resemble the worst of his USC tape, right now he looks like he’s regressed right back into that sloppyness

meanwhile there’s is absolutely no evidence that Dowell Loggains has ever coached a QB up in his life other than handing him a clipboard and shouting ‘rah’ and Gase just did what Payton Manning told him to and rode his talent into a reputation

• Upvote 1

On 9/19/2020 at 5:47 PM, Gastineau Lives said:

lol he had the most time to throw of any QB in lol football last week and wide open receivers and missed a five yard td to a wr with no one covering him by sailing a pass lol literally six feet over his head lol

lol

Well if we watched everytime we blitzed Josh escaped and burnt the jets everytime. So they rushed four to keep allen in the pocket and the difference is josh is making throws this year so far. And it was one throw and josh scrambled. darnold in a clean pocket threw a ball to hogan that was five yards behind him and was just as high as Allen's pass.

On 9/18/2020 at 4:49 PM, SR24 said:

You cant convince me this team has any interest in winning this year. Nothing says victory more than Kalen Ballage Frank Gore Chris Hogan Perriman and Berrios! 

Also, Sam is NOT the one calling for passes behind the line on 3rd and 9. Shameful that we really have no idea who Sam is He would have been better off on any other team. No receivers, no coaching and crazy passes behind the line`s. I believe that ANY elite QB would look beyond terrible on this team and under this coach.

5 hours ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Not so sure about that.

But the point is that none of those WR's were good.

Many were cut not long after they were in those Super Bowls.

WR's do not make QB's.

QB's make WR's.

How many diff guys did Peyton have 1k seasons w/? Brady? Brees? WIlson? Rottenburger? Rivers?

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And the same old guy has been picked to have a turn around season because of the Tampa WRs.  That he moved to Tampa for that reason.  

Brady outplayed Cam.  

Youse made my point.  

I'm not sure if you haven't been paying attention or what, but Brady has been pretty bad in Tampa.

Cam, meanwhile, has been pretty good in NE ... with the same receivers that Brady struggled with.

Brady: 456 yards, 3 TD, 3 INT

Cam: 674 yards, 5 TD,1 INT

For goodness sake, his own coach public ally criticized him..

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2020/09/tom-brady-responds-to-bruce-arians-criticism-hes-the-coach-im-a-player-just-trying-to-win-a-game.html

Edited by DonMaynardFan

5 hours ago, Jetsbaby93 said:

Well if we watched everytime we blitzed Josh escaped and burnt the jets everytime. So they rushed four to keep allen in the pocket and the difference is josh is making throws this year so far. And it was one throw and josh scrambled. darnold in a clean pocket threw a ball to hogan that was five yards behind him and was just as high as Allen's pass.

go suck a bills dick somewhere else and some other time

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Brady’s “off year” last year is better than any Jets QB has produced: ever. Besides, when you have a resumé like Brady’s an off year is an outlier. If Darnold ever has a good year that will be his outlier. Darnold has done nothing to indicate that he isn’t among the 95+% of QBs that don’t play well simply because they aren’t good football players.

• Upvote 1