Sam Darnold Discussion Thread: MERGED

jetstream23

Tannehill was 8-5 under Gase year 1...19 td/12 inr when he hurts his knee....  Fins to playoffs

Instead of surgery, the quarterback opted for stem-cell therapy and rehab over surgery. .....that decision seemed to prove costly.

he sat out 2017 after it gave out in practice....

in 2018 Tanny was 5-6...  had a shoulder injruy to his throwing shoulderr...     17 TD/9 int

nothing earth shattering...   13-11  36td/21 int...

b4 gase tanny was  29 -35    87td/35int   no injuries...

not a gase endorsement...       just some data

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, CTM said:

By whom? Brady is over the hill and a shell of the QB he was

By everyone covering football.

Right or wrong that was the message

I can stay at home and find all the posts where the Jets ruined Sanchez because of a lack of weapons. 

If you dont have WRs who can get open, having a better QB isnt going to make them get open.  If your WR cant catch a pass, a better QB isnt going to make Herndon magically catch that EZ pass.  This isnt a case of only decent WRs who could look better with improved QB lay.  They suck and cant do anything on the field.  

11 hours ago, jgb said:

Brady’s “off year” last year is better than any Jets QB has produced: ever. Besides, when you have a resumé like Brady’s an off year is an outlier. If Darnold ever has a good year that will be his outlier. Darnold has done nothing to indicate that he isn’t among the 95+% of QBs that don’t play well simply because they aren’t good football players.

And all of this has nothing to do with the media etc all sending the message that Brady was down because of a lack of weapons.  Thats all

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

we know he's either too scared or too dumb to audible out of a WR screen on 3rd and 9 

As per Darnold on the Michael Kay show. There are many plays which he is not allowed to "audible out of". That is how the offensive genius has designed the offense for the QB. He has tied his hands on many occasions. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

there are a handful of great athletes playing qb in the nfl currently. 

i mean, they are all "great" enough to be nfl players.

Sam is middle level athletic for NFL qb. allen, russ, kyler, lj....

That's your opinion and that's fine. But Sam was a great athlete growing up. He played basketball. For football he was a wide receiver, and middle linebacker in high school until he was moved to QB late. He was recruited initially by USC as a linebacker and then eventually was brought there to play QB.

He played 2 years of college football at QB and then was drafted by the Jets. He's never had great mechanics. You would never teach someone his mechanics. He's a great athlete playing the position. Watch the TD throw to Berrios in garbage time.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

That's your opinion and that's fine. But Sam was a great athlete growing up. He played basketball. For football he was a wide receiver, and middle linebacker in high school until he was moved to QB late. He was recruited initially by USC as a linebacker and then eventually was brought there to play QB.

He played 2 years of college football at QB and then was drafted by the Jets. He's never had great mechanics. You would never teach someone his mechanics. He's a great athlete playing the position. Watch the TD throw to Berrios in garbage time.

sam is a ntaural athlete with crappy throwing technique....

great athlete? compare as above ansd no, not great....

Just now, Losmeister said:

sam is a ntaural athlete with crappy throwing technique....

great athlete? compare as above ansd no, not great....

I'm not turning this into a Sam Darnold as a player argument. I don't care who you want to compare him to or what you think about him as a player. You're entitled to your opinion on that. I'm not trying to tell you that he's a better athlete than player A, or player B. 

You asked about his mechanics. He didn't grow up playing the QB position as long as lots of other guys in the league did. He didn't go to the Manning Passing Academy like Daniel Jones for example. 

He was a great athlete growing up. He was a dual threat recruit coming out of HS as a Linebacker and a QB. Schools were impressed by his athleticism. He eventually went to USC and now he's here. His mechanics are not what you would teach.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Can't always blame your failures on others. Darnold has shown little to no improvement in the last 2 years. That's on him, and nobody else. 

This. 

It's Year 3.  No NFL quarterback should need reminding about which foot to throw off of or how to bring the team out of a huddle on time.  That's covered in junior high school.  Darnold watches more film on himself than any of us do and it's not sinking in.  

Quiet, unemotional, and stupid are not traits of franchise quarterbacks.  Most are loud, emotional, and sharp as a tack.  

SAR I

• Sympathy 3

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm not turning this into a Sam Darnold as a player argument. I don't care who you want to compare him to or what you think about him as a player. You're entitled to your opinion on that. I'm not trying to tell you that he's a better athlete than player A, or player B. 

You asked about his mechanics. He didn't grow up playing the QB position as long as lots of other guys in the league did. He didn't go to the Manning Passing Academy like Daniel Jones for example. 

He was a great athlete growing up. He was a dual threat recruit coming out of HS as a Linebacker and a QB. Schools were impressed by his athleticism. He eventually went to USC and now he's here. His mechanics are not what you would teach.

the last words are yours..    in peace

Latino GIF by NETFLIX

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This is kind of the point. He's always been all hype. He got offers from places like Northwestern based on three sophomore starts and then got offered by USC based on those offers. He's never been The Natural. He's the guy who was better than you in gym with professional representation.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'm not so sure Sam's issues have anything to do with mechanics. I keep hearing Gase say how much more comfortable Sam is in the offense and how well he knows it. Well, to me, Sam looks uncertain and uncomfortable in the offense.  QB's in command of an O can be seen "directing traffic", barking out orders and pulling the trigger quickly on pass plays. Does that sound like Sam? 

On the spectrum of QB styles and skill sets from Peyton Manning to Brett Favre, where does Sam fall? He is far closer to Favre in style and skillset. So, why does Gase expect Sam to be Peyton Manning? I am totally frustrated with the unbending nature of our brilliant offensive minds coaching and the reason is ..... because he is NOT a football coach. He is a glorified quality control coach. Players are not people with individual skill sets and motivations. Instead, they are simply interchangeable cogs in his machine. Regrettably, Gase just doesn't understand that his machine only works if the QB pulling the trigger is and all time great with a career's worth of knowledge at his disposal.  And seriously, any of us could coordinate a Peyton Manning led offense to good results.

Every football coach worth his salt maximizes what his players do well and avoids what they do poorly. Conversely, that is precisely how you attack opposing teams. Jesus, BB built a HOF coaching career doing precisely this, but with the religious ferocity of Southeastern Iragi Shia Iman. CJ, please fire Gase and hire a football coach. Jason Garret is already in town and will lead the Jets to respectability while developing Sam. 

He himself never played football beyond the high school level.  He’s not a “Leader of Men”.  He’s a Finger Pointer and a blame shifter.  That is very very apparent now after watching him since Day 1.

He should take himself and his little King of Queens guy, put him in a suitcase, and do what’s right, walk out the door.....Resign.  He has already lost the team.  You see that in the lack of effort and now you hear it from the likes of McDougell, someone who knows what a real program should look like, coming from Seattle.

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

his HS coach, the guy at USC?

just wondering whose to blame, cos it aint Sam. It CANT be..  right?

Why can’t it be Sam’s fault? He hasn't shown anything. Good QBs mask garbage HCs at least to some extent. Our QB/HC combo hasn’t masked each other.  It giving out any free passes to either one this year. Been there, done that.