Sam Darnold Discussion Thread: MERGED

jetstream23

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

As much as I post about Trevor Lawrence, firm 3.

If he looks like he did last week all season long, I'm ready to toss him aside like Andy did to Woody for Buzz Lightyear.

Ha!

I think a 3 is about right now.  At least that's the sense I get from the Board.  Make no mistake, we have several people firmly in the 1 and 2 camp, and a few even in the 5 and 6 camps.  Unfortunately, I think I'm going to be stuck on 4 for a couple months.  Even if he somehow lights it up for 2 weeks in a row, there's always a chance of reversion to something like a Ghost game vs. New England.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Ha!

I think a 3 is about right now.  At least that's the sense I get from the Board.  Make no mistake, we have several people firmly in the 1 and 2 camp, and a few even in the 5 and 6 camps.  Unfortunately, I think I'm going to be stuck on 4 for a couple months.  Even if he somehow lights it up for 2 weeks in a row, there's always a chance of reversion to something like a Ghost game vs. New England.

What do you call last Sunday??

• Upvote 2

It's a 3.

There's no chance or no reason to bench him mid-season so we know how long he has. 15 games and he needs to play well in about 75% of them. He's started abysmally and faces another great defence on Sunday. It could get bad very fast.

I've been more patient with Sam than most but there's no use in trying to assess him for what he might do in another situation - For better or worse this is is - His performances have to be better if we're to persist with him. Especially if there's a shot at a prospect like Lawrence. You go again until you get the guy.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Team archer said:

Who made this meter? Its great. Im at a 4.5 i think. Im unsure if i want to count the 49ers game next week because i know were going to get stomped and embarrassed  so id probably stay at a 4.5 after we lose 33-14 next week.

I didn't make it.  The interwebz is a treasure trove of usable stuff.  (I did add and position the red arrows though).  Planning to update this weekly on Wednesdays with my best assessment of where the Board is on Darnold a few days after each game (not the intial reactions of "cut him" and "I'm buying Super Bowl tickets" that we get on Mondays).

• Sympathy 2

Same place as I was a month ago. Anything else is irrational sensationalism and an emotional reaction to a sh*tty week 1 performance. 

Sam Darnold improved in every measurable way from year 1 to year 2. Showed long stretches of elite play in both of his first two years. Had a winning record despite the worst roster in the NFL.

The 2020 season hasn't happened yet. Letting 1 bad game, against the #1 passing D in the NFL that will embarrass every QB they play in buffalo this year , affect your outlook is asinine. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

It's a 3.

There's no chance or no reason to bench him mid-season so we know how long he has. 15 games and he needs to play well in about 75% of them. He's started abysmally and faces another great defence on Sunday. It could get bad very fast.

I've been more patient with Sam than most but there's no use in trying to assess him for what he might do in another situation - For better or worse this is is - His performances have to be better if we're to persist with him. Especially if there's a shot at a prospect like Lawrence. You go again until you get the guy.

Exactly.  The meter is cute but largely useless.  This is binary.

Does Sam Darnold's performance mean we are set at the QB position?

The answer to that question is most definitely no.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Exactly.  The meter is cute but largely useless.  This is binary.

Does Sam Darnold's performance mean we are set at the QB position?

The answer to that question is most definitely no.

If by no you mean yes, I agree. 

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

As much as I post about Trevor Lawrence, firm 3.

If he looks like he did last week all season long, I'm ready to toss him aside like Andy did to Woody for Buzz Lightyear.

I think all of us would. The thing is, I expect him to play better as the season goes. I am on record here saying it is going to take at least 6 weeks to know what we have here,

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I didn't make it.  The interwebz is a treasure trove of usable stuff.  (I did add and position the red arrows though).  Planning to update this weekly on Wednesdays with my best assessment of where the Board is on Darnold a few days after each game (not the intial reactions of "cut him" and "I'm buying Super Bowl tickets" that we get on Mondays).

I'd keep a tally on 'average' scores. Just to see how fickle our fanbase is

• Upvote 1

Solid 5, leaning 6.  Until we surround Sam with actual playmakers, it's ridiculous to lay this all at his feet.  I've watched a lot of QBs come and go with this team in my 40 years watching him, this kid has the talent and rhythm to succeed.  He's playing for a sh*tty team and organization right now, and Joe Douglas is playing catch-up.  I'd sign him to a long-term deal now, and start surrounding him with a real set of playmakers.

Darnold is going to succeed in this league... only question is whether it will be with us or someone else.  If he is on Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or a winning organization with real structure right now, we're not having this conversation.  The three year rinse and repeat, throw a guy out of town has to come to an end.  We actually have to build a program now. 

If I were Douglas, I'd look to make a deal for a real playmaker now, much like when we added Braylon Edwards back in the Rex days.  Similar to when we added Santonio Holmes.  We are stunting Sam's development every day we don't add a bonafide number 1.  That's why Buffalo added Stefon Diggs.  The lack of urgency to surround Darnold with playmakers has been infuriating.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you're not a 3 or lower, you're either lying to yourself, are too emotionally invested in Darnold, or just don't have any ability to evaluate a QB.

I'm definitely not "3 or lower".  I could certainly understand voting for 4 ("still can't tell") but, personally, I'm a lot more optimistic (and willing to be a lot more patient).

We've been waiting decades for a FQB and I'm not going to give up on the first legit candidate we've had due to some early-career growing pains.  Could you imagine if we gave up on him a year too early and some other team got a FQB who was under 25?!  That would be one of the worst things to happen in franchise history (next to losing BB).

Fwiw, I do think Joe D will be patient with Sam so I'm not worried that anything rash will be done.  (an exception would be if we somehow get the #1 overall pick and can take Trevor Lawrence).  I honestly am still very optimistic that Sam is going to be a FQB.  Let Joe D surround him with some legit weapons (and ideally a much better HC) and then we can start a more realistic evaluation.

9 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Solid 5, leaning 6.  Until we surround Sam with actual playmakers, it's ridiculous to lay this all at his feet.  I've watched a lot of QBs come and go with this team in my 40 years watching him, this kid has the talent and rhythm to succeed.  He's playing for a sh*tty team and organization right now, and Joe Douglas is playing catch-up.  I'd sign him to a long-term deal now, and start surrounding him with a real set of playmakers.

Darnold is going to succeed in this league... only question is whether it will be with us or someone else.  If he is on Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or a winning organization with real structure right now, we're not having this conversation.  The three year rinse and repeat, throw a guy out of town has to come to an end.  We actually have to build a program now. 

If I were Douglas, I'd look to make a deal for a real playmaker now, much like when we added Braylon Edwards back in the Rex days.  Similar to when we added Santonio Holmes.  We are stunting Sam's development every day we don't add a bonafide number 1.  That's why Buffalo added Stefon Diggs.  The lack of urgency to surround Darnold with playmakers has been infuriating.

So, based on everything you've seen, you'd give him 30M plus?

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

When the growing pains outweigh the positives, maybe they're not growing pains?

Maybe.  I've been wrong about QBs before (though so have plenty of NFL GMs) but I think people are being way too reactionary to a bad game.  And we might not play well this coming week vs SF either (we'll see).  But I'm still a believer that Sam will be a FQB.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Maybe.  I've been wrong about QBs before (though so have plenty of NFL GMs) but I think people are being way too reactionary to a bad game.  And we might not play well this coming week vs SF either (we'll see).  But I'm still a believer that Sam will be a FQB.

A lot of it is that none of us have any patience anymore, because, how could we? 

Once you watch this team for a few decades, you start to see that as much as things change, they stay the same. 

It's hard to tell this fanbase to wait for anything . . . we've been waiting our entire lives.