BECTON PRAISED AND RANKED AS #1 OFFENSIVE ROOKIE

32EBoozer

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If they both keep up their current trajectory, I'd much rather have a great LT than a really good WR.

A great LT is so rare and such an incredible building block for a team....now if Douglas can add only about 8 or 9 more NFL caliber starters to the Jet Offense...we should be in business haha.  But joking aside, it’s great having a guy like this at LT, such a big part when really O skill position players are added.

He already looks to be on a Jon Ogden trajectory, just dominant from the first snap.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

If Becton is already very good and becomes an elite LT that is way more than a positive step, it is several. Actually, know that I am over the game finally, there are still some positives I see from this last game. Kyle Phillips continues to be excellent and Quinnen (who I have bashed) seems to be developing.  Berrios seems to have some potential in the slot.

Thing for Gase to try this week...run off tackle to the left, not up the middle.

How about motioning Wesco (our "heavy" TE) over to the left side next to Becton and running that way with some power?

• Upvote 3

I know it is early days yet but still,..

A franchise left tackle if that is what we are looking like we might have right here.... Well that is a cornerstone piece of the puzzle, unlike say a top Safety for example (sorry couldn't resist).   So this albeit early news cannot be anything other than good for Jets fans. 

Yay us!

My concerns with any athlete who is on the very extreme end of the physical spectrum for size (Kristaps Porzingis for example) is how will his body hold up over time? How many legit 370LB athletic players are there who have had long careers in the NFL?

Any?

<edited to add>

The key word here is "athletic" which is a big part of his game.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It's a step.  One solid, very positive step.  But this is a marathon and the Jets are waaaay behind the pack.

Need about 7 or 8 more Draft picks to work out like Becton and then the Jets can get into the playoff conversation.  What Joe D has done with his first 1st round pick he now needs to do with both 1sts next year, hopefully at the Edge Rusher and WR positions.

The other thing is we havent even gotten a chance to see how the rest of the draft is going to pan out.  Besides becton and mann who have been as advertised. Ashtyn davis has barely played, but everyone else has been hurt.  I'm excited to see what mims and hall can do this year, and possible cam clark too.  Not sure if we'll ever see zuniga this year, i have a feeling he'll never be healthy. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

The other thing is we havent even gotten a chance to see how the rest of the draft is going to pan out.  Besides becton and mann who have been as advertised. Ashtyn davis has barely played, but everyone else has been hurt.  I'm excited to see what mims and hall can do this year, and possible cam clark too.  Not sure if we'll ever see zuniga this year, i have a feeling he'll never be healthy. 

That would be a complete bust for JD, and he deserves some criticism on this point.  The Jets have been a team unable to keep players healthy and who set a record for players on IR last year.  The idea that he could sign/draft players with known injury risks (Perriman, Zuniga) and players who were outright injured at the time they were acquired (Bryce Hall) and expect the Jets to field a healthy roster is ridiculous.  I understand the Buy low / Sell high approach and longterm outlook that JD has, particularly with a guy like Bryce Hall (he's a lottery ticket) but this team isn't in a position to take risks on high-upside guys who we hope can get/stay healthy.  The Jets need players on the field.

30 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That would be a complete bust for JD, and he deserves some criticism on this point.  The Jets have been a team unable to keep players healthy and who set a record for players on IR last year.  The idea that he could sign/draft players with known injury risks (Perriman, Zuniga) and players who were outright injured at the time they were acquired (Bryce Hall) and expect the Jets to field a healthy roster is ridiculous.  I understand the Buy low / Sell high approach and longterm outlook that JD has, particularly with a guy like Bryce Hall (he's a lottery ticket) but this team isn't in a position to take risks on high-upside guys who we hope can get/stay healthy.  The Jets need players on the field.

Its a good point, Perriman was a bad call considering he's only played 1 full season in his career.  If you were going to replace robbie with him which i was fine with, i felt you needed another guy that would be healthy and dependable.  

I didnt like the zuniga pick just because of the durability issues, I actually like the player, but in the 4th I felt we had a shot at other guys that werent such an injury liability.  

Bryce hall where we got him is a fine pick, thats the type of player and spot in the draft that if you can get him you take the chance because he was projected as a 2nd round possibly 1st round kind of guy anyway. 

JD seems to be content building slowly and accepting that certain areas are just going to take longer than others.  Its extremely frustrating as a fan to consider this, but im reserving judgement to see when he has more than 1 year to solve issues. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, southtown24th said:

this is so needed

Just setting back and reading this thread, it is clear that folks are so damned frustrated they are arguing about a player who is no longer here, who netted us 2 number one picks, a third and a starting player.   All for someone who doesn't play a premium position and gets burned quite often in coverage.    We really need to let the JA ship sail.   So far, 4 of JDs picks have looked anywhere from excellent to solid (Davis, Mann, Becton and Perine in limited action).    Hopefully we get Mims and Zuniga on the field in the next few weeks (maybe Hall before the end of the season).   If they also perform as expected, this will have the potential to be one of the best drafts in the last 20 years; especially if Clark and Morgan show some signs...   Right now to me the biggest issue with this team is Gase; the sooner he is gone and JD can bring in his own guy, the sooner this rebuild and properly begin and I don't see Gase lasting the season at this rate. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

A great LT is so rare and such an incredible building block for a team....now if Douglas can add only about 8 or 9 more NFL caliber starters to the Jet Offense...we should be in business haha.  But joking aside, it’s great having a guy like this at LT, such a big part when really O skill position players are added.

He already looks to be on a Jon Ogden trajectory, just dominant from the first snap.

A 1st round pick who doesn't need any excuses.  Just dominates.  When was the last time we've had that?  Revis?

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Just remember this feeling when its time to pay him in 3 years. Kids a beast skys the limit for him.

I'll be glad to pay him top LT money.  That's the thing about good/great players at premium positions.  Fans are happy to see them get paid.  Just like they were happy when Revis got his new deal in 2010.  

The idea that Jets fans hate when players get paid is a myth.  Its just that we rarely have good/great players at premium positions who are worth paying in the first place. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

I know it is early days yet but still,..

A franchise left tackle if that is what we are looking like we might have right here.... Well that is a cornerstone piece of the puzzle, unlike say a top Safety for example (sorry couldn't resist).   So this albeit early news cannot be anything other than good for Jets fans. 

Yay us!

My concerns with any athlete who is on the very extreme end of the physical spectrum for size (Kristaps Porzingis for example) is how will his body hold up over time? How many legit 370LB athletic players are there who have had long careers in the NFL?

Any?

<edited to add>

The key word here is "athletic" which is a big part of his game.

Jonathan Ogden was 6-9, 345 lbs, very athletic, and had a 12-year, HOF career.

If you're looking for a 370 lbs guy with Becton's athleticism, you're not going to find him.  But Ogden is not a bad comp.  And it seems to me that Becton carries his weight well.  

Can't worry about that stuff until there's a reason to worry.  Just enjoy watching his development.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll be glad to pay him top LT money.  That's the thing about good/great players at premium positions.  Fans are happy to pay them.  Just like they were happy when Revis got his new deal in 2010.  

The idea that Jets fans hate when players get paid is a myth.  Its just that we rarely have good/great players at premium positions who are worth paying in the first place. 

An OL version of Kris Jenkins in the making in terms of his ability to dominate the player lined up opposite him.  Physical freak.  Only here he is young and healthy. I am just happy to grab the popcorn and enjoy the show.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Draft picks should never be made with the immediate year's season in mind.  That's how you end up taking guys who aren't good in the first place just to try to fill holes.  

As you say, only Zuniga and Hall had an injury history.  Hall was a 1st/early 2nd round type prospect before he got hurt, which is why we got him in the 5th in the first place.  No 5th round pick would have filled an immediate need.  Give me the upside of a potential future CB1.

None of the other 7 guys taken had an injury history.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A 1st round pick who doesn't need any excuses.  Just dominates.  When was the last time we've had that?  Revis?

Even Revis had his hiccups as a rookie.

Becton is exceeding most of my expectations. I thought there would be plays were guys get him off balance or he misses a block but so far against 2 top 5 defenses nada, Becton has been the best player on the team.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Wasn't Hall like a 6th rounder though?  I'm okay with taking high-upside (though high-risk) at that spot.  

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll be glad to pay him top LT money.  That's the thing about good/great players at premium positions.  Fans are happy to see them get paid.  Just like they were happy when Revis got his new deal in 2010.  

Far from a myth Revis was painted as selfish during every contract holdout.

3 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Far from a myth Revis was painted as selfish during every contract holdout.

Well yes, he was painted that way but to be honest it was a reasonable characterization of his positions.

In the case of his rookie year it was our GM who was asking for the (unreasonable) extra year to be conceded and he was not offering to pay extra in order to get that concession from Revis.   That was what led to the holdout.  Revis was looking after his own interests as he should have been.

Some of the later holdouts were BS but not the rookie one.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, pointman said:

Mekhi does two things really well. He is willing to let an end/lb make a swim move and rush to his outside while he maintains his technique, hands up, butt down, and side steps to wherever the defender is looking to go.. always maintaining himself between the defender and the QB. He then doesn't do what many OL do, which is he doesn't force the engagement. He waits until the defender is making his move towards Sam, and he engages them with his hands and uses their weight against them and leverages them to the outside. That is amazing technique. Secondly, in run blocking he engages his assignment, which is usually the guy stacked strong, and then pushes to the second level to a backer. Color me impressed. 

Dude is playing as big as he is. THAT'S BIG!!!!!!!