Updated: All-Time Worst Jets Head Coaches List

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I agree. Walt Michaels was a great evaluator of talent and the GM'less Jets pretty much deferred to his preference for draft picks. But I ranked just based on "coaching". Had to put Weeb first since he won the SB. Parcells edged out Walt because he turned lemons into lemonade overnight when he came to the Jets. But, it is very close between the 2 regardless.

Nice guess on Mangini since he authored a pretty good turnaround himself. But, you should have stuck with Walt - the 1978 UPI and Pro Football Weekly NFL Coach of the Year. Other than that, no Jet HC has ever won any formal accolades while HC of the Jets.

So should the Jets. Especially for the stupid reason they fired him. If Walt had stayed on, he would have gotten us to the Super Bowl. Maybe more than once.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From my time watching the Jets from best to worst: 1. Rex. YUGE GAP 2. Herm 3. Mangini 4. Bowles YUGER GAP 5. Gase

Rich Kotite FINALLY gives up the #1 spot, after holding it for 24 years. Congrats Rich! 1. Adam Gase 2. Rich Kotite 3. Todd Bowles  4. Bruce Coslet 5. Charley Winner

The Jets are the #1 franchise at outdoing themselves. They somehow went from Idzik to a much worse Maccagnan and from Todd Bowles to Adam Gase.   All 4 of these men have spanned an 8 year perio

Posted Images

Keep in mind people,  Gase gets the lofty position of All-Time worst for INTANGIBLE reasons. Dont get so hung up on won/loss record. He gets it for his quotes "there arent many good plays for 4th and 7," he gets it for not developing and RUINING the career of Potential Franchise Quarterback OR at the very least FUNCTIONAL Quarterback (in the 14-20 range) Darnold.  He gets it for sabotaging and not knowing how to use existing personnel (Leveon Bell) and finally extra credit for the Crazy Eyes opening Press Conference and every succeeding Press Conference. 

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Shea Jet said:

Rich Kotite FINALLY gives up the #1 spot, after holding it for 24 years. Congrats Rich!

1. Adam Gase

2. Rich Kotite

3. Todd Bowles 

4. Bruce Coslet

5. Charley Winner

Gase gets number one ONLY if Jets go winless this season. No one tops Kotite for pure stupidity and incompetence. Gase will be number two (doody) if the Jets win a game or two this season. The rest of the list seems right, except I would put Lou Holtz in there for Winner who actually finished 7-7 one season.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Shea Jet said:

Keep in mind people,  Gase gets the lofty position of All-Time worst for INTANGIBLE reasons. Dont get so hung up on won/loss record. He gets it for his quotes "there arent many good plays for 4th and 7," he gets it for not developing and RUINING the career of Potential Franchise Quarterback OR at the very least FUNCTIONAL Quarterback (in the 14-20 range) Darnold.  He gets it for sabotaging and not knowing how to use existing personnel (Leveon Bell) and finally extra credit for the Crazy Eyes opening Press Conference and every succeeding Press Conference. 

I think this is right, and when all is said and done, Gase will get fired after this year with a 2 year W-L record that is solidly middle of the pack for Jets coaches.  

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Gase gets number one ONLY if Jets go winless this season. No one tops Kotite for pure stupidity and incompetence. Gase will be number two (doody) if the Jets win a game or two this season. The rest of the list seems right, except I would put Lou Holtz in there for Winner who actually finished 7-7 one season.

I agree Holtz should be in. My bad. Also, please see my addendum a few posts up on WHY Gase gets the top spot REGARDLESS of won/loss record. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think this is right, and when all is said and done, Gase will get fired after this year with a 2 year W-L record that is solidly middle of the pack for Jets coaches.  

Thanks to the tomato can schedule at the back of last season. Make no bones Rich Kotite looks a lot better to me, at least the team was competitive. It also doesn’t help that Gase is totally unlikeable too.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

From my time watching the Jets, best to worst:

1. Weeb Ewbank

2. Bill Parcells

3. Walt Michaels

4. Rex Ryan

5. Herm Edwards

6. Eric Mangini

7. Pete Carroll

8. Al Groh

9. Bruce Coslet

10. Todd Bowles

11. Joe Walton/Charlie Winner (tie)

12. Lou Holtz

13.  Ken Shipp

14. Mike Holovak

15. Rich Kotite

16. Adam Gase

Extra Credit -- Who was the only HC of the NYJ to ever win Coach of the Year honors?

I became a fan when Walt Michaels was the coach, so I can't speak for your list prior, but this seems legit.

I never thought that we could possibly hire someone as bad as Kotite, but Gase is challenging him. GAse has more wins but Kotite's teams were more competitive. 

Only quibble would be Joe Walton below Todd Bowles. Walton was not good, and stuck around waaaaaay too long, but his teams went to the playoffs and actually won a game. The 1986 team could have been special if not for injuries. I'd argue Walton could be as high as 7th actually. 

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I agree. Walt Michaels was a great evaluator of talent and the GM'less Jets pretty much deferred to his preference for draft picks. But I ranked just based on "coaching". Had to put Weeb first since he won the SB. Parcells edged out Walt because he turned lemons into lemonade overnight when he came to the Jets. But, it is very close between the 2 regardless.

Nice guess on Mangini since he authored a pretty good turnaround himself. But, you should have stuck with Walt - the 1978 UPI and Pro Football Weekly NFL Coach of the Year. Other than that, no Jet HC has ever won any formal accolades while HC of the Jets.

I see the rationale but disagree with the lemons to lemonade. As much as kotite was a bad coach he did bring in many of parcells’ key pieces so it’ s not the same as rebuilding from ground up. But that’s why we can discuss and have a different opinion.

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Yeah, he took over a 4-12 team and was 4-12 himself in just two years. 

Mangini is the most overrated individual in N.Y. Jets history. His first two years featured the some of the most boring football I've ever seen, and he only won in his last season because Favre told Schottenheimer to **** off and ran the offense the way he wanted to. As soon as his arm died, Mangini lost 4/5, which was much more in line with his previous year. One of the all-time greatest Jets firings, just a year late. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, slats said:

Mangini is the most overrated individual in N.Y. Jets history. His first two years featured the some of the most boring football I've ever seen, and he only won in his last season because Favre told Schottenheimer to **** off and ran the offense the way he wanted to. As soon as his arm died, Mangini lost 4/5, which was much more in line with his previous year. One of the all-time greatest Jets firings, just a year late. 

He got us to two AFC title games. Or so I've been told.

@T0mShane care to clarify this mix up?

18 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Adam Gase has three more wins in a single season than Kotite had in two full seasons. Kotite is still the undisputed champion.

Exactly. I'm not a Gase fan, but he's nowhere near as bad as Kotite. Must have been from a poster that never saw him coach.

• Upvote 2
18 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

I have no idea how you can watch what Adam Gase did with the Dolphins and say ' I have to hire the guy who did THAT.'

You just truly captured how many of us felt when they hired this idiot. I will never forget the introductory press conference when I realized that a character like Forrest Gump may have had more intelligence in his toe nail than Gase has as a coach. The only way to impress some rich bracts is to be an idiot and an a**hole.

18 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Adam Gase has three more wins in a single season than Kotite had in two full seasons. Kotite is still the undisputed champion.

Distance dulls the memory.  Kotite stands alone as the worst HC in team history.  Gase sucks but no way Kotite could have finished 6-2 last year even playing the NFC East and the Bills JV team...

• Upvote 2
19 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

1. Weeb Ewbank

2. Bill Parcells

3. Walt Michaels

4. Rex Ryan

5. Herm Edwards

6. Eric Mangini

7. Pete Carroll

8. Al Groh

9. Bruce Coslet

10. Todd Bowles

12. Lou Holtz

13.  Ken Shipp

14. Mike Holovak

15. Rich Kotite

16. Adam Gase

Extra Credit -- Who was the only HC of the NYJ to ever win Coach of the Year honors?

Michaels....

• Upvote 1
Rex is the most overrated by far ... Took Mangini's team and in two years turned it into a laughing stock.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

12 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Rex is the most overrated by far ... Took Mangini's team and in two years turned it into a laughing stock.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Mangini's team was a laughingstock under Mangini, then Rex replaced Brett Favre with Mark Sanchez and went to the AFCCG two years in a row for the only time in team history. Because, you know, that was a major upgrade at QB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 hours ago, slats said:

Mangold, Brick, Revis, Harris all drafted under his watch. The 4 best Jets of the last 20 years and all ROH players. If it werent for him this franchise would be the Knicks.

• Thumb Down 1
1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Mangold, Brick, Revis, Harris all drafted under his watch. The 4 best Jets of the last 20 years and all ROH players. If it werent for him this franchise would be the Knicks.

Why is it that no one hires this super genius? I have a couple guesses. 

Just now, Matt39 said:

The Jets should hire him the run the draft. He actually brought in good football players.

No, they shouldn't. Just like no one else does. The idea that he was some great drafter is a myth held only by wayward Jets fans. If this guy was any good, he'd've had a job the last decade. But no, he sucks, and the league is fully aware. 

The only coaches who "got away," here are Belichick and Carroll. Mangini's just another lunkhead on the scrap heap. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

No, they shouldn't. Just like no one else does. The idea that he was some great drafter is a myth held only by wayward Jets fans. If this guy was any good, he'd've had a job the last decade. But no, he sucks, and the league is fully aware. 

The only coaches who "got away," here are Belichick and Carroll. Mangini's just another lunkhead on the scrap heap. 

He literally drafted 4 ring of honor players in 3 years. Maybe not a great drafter, but by far the best the Jets have had since I've been a fan.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He literally drafted 4 ring of honor players in 3 years. Maybe not a great drafter, but by far the best the Jets have had since I've been a fan.

I see that we keep skirting around the fact that no one has any interest in bringing in this giant of football lore. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

He also drafted one of the biggest busts in NFL history in Vernon Gholston. 

But that's the way the draft fell - Except maybe it wouldn't had he not sabotaged the team before that season by running Pete Kendall out of town, causing us to play Adrien Clarke, one of the worst players in NFL history for 14 long f*cking games. Killing the QB's and the running game.

Mangini was a complete joke. Players despised him. 33-48 career record. Pathetic.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, slats said:

Mangini's team was a laughingstock under Mangini, then Rex replaced Brett Favre with Mark Sanchez and went to the AFCCG two years in a row for the only time in team history. Because, you know, that was a major upgrade at QB. 

Mangini never had a top 15 defence.

Rex has best in the league first season and never had lower than 11th.

Some people here have genuinely lost their minds. It's like they forget teams running through us at will, how utterly clueless he looked when Favre couldn't bail the team out anymore. He overseen a collapse worse than anything I've seen.

On 9/22/2020 at 6:25 PM, Shea Jet said:

Rich Kotite FINALLY gives up the #1 spot, after holding it for 24 years. Congrats Rich!

1. Adam Gase

2. Rich Kotite

3. Todd Bowles 

4. Bruce Coslet

5. Charley Winner

Gase being the worst was wrong the first time you posted it and now that for some reason you turned this into a thread, its still wrong.

On 9/22/2020 at 6:57 PM, Sonny Werblin said:

1. Weeb Ewbank

2. Bill Parcells

3. Walt Michaels

4. Rex Ryan

5. Herm Edwards

6. Eric Mangini

7. Pete Carroll

8. Al Groh

9. Bruce Coslet

10. Todd Bowles

12. Lou Holtz

13.  Ken Shipp

14. Mike Holovak

15. Rich Kotite

16. Adam Gase

Walt Michaels at 7-7 

On 9/22/2020 at 7:26 PM, Shea Jet said:

Ruining a Franchise Quarterback,  or at the very least a Top 15-20 Quarterback,  gets him extra credit.

So youre saying, because youre sure, that Kotite would have helped Darnold. 

Anyone who thinks any Jets HC is or was worse than Kotite didnt suffer sitting in the stands during his tenure.  

Period

On 9/22/2020 at 6:57 PM, Sonny Werblin said:

1. Weeb Ewbank

2. Bill Parcells

3. Walt Michaels

4. Rex Ryan

5. Herm Edwards

6. Eric Mangini

7. Pete Carroll

8. Al Groh

9. Bruce Coslet

10. Todd Bowles

12. Lou Holtz

13.  Ken Shipp

14. Mike Holovak

15. Rich Kotite

16. Adam Gase

perfect

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Sucked here, sucked in Cleveland and San Francisco.  And now Mangini can’t get a job as a ballboy meanwhile Rex could get a DC job today

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Gase being the worst was wrong the first time you posted it and now that for some reason you turned this into a thread, its still wrong.

Gase is about to become the 3rd nfl head coach to have a 0-16 season

Yeah he’s as bad or worse than Bowles and Kotite

• Confused 1