Robbie

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You all called me crazy for saying last year, "**** it, just draft DK at 3".

If you ask who would move the needle more on this team Quinnen or DK, most people who have to say that DK would.   That said it would have taken a huge set of balls to draft DK at 3 last year.  But the Jets would be better off with DK over QW.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The point is more that he wasn’t the problem. He was on pace for 1000+ yards in just his 2nd season, with freaking Josh McCown (until Bryce Petty replaced him for the last 25% of the season and put an end to anyone’s production). 

When did being “at best a #3 WR” become the opposite of being a #1 WR (or #1 “offensive weapon” on another team)? Every WR who isn’t a team’s #1 WR isn’t therefore a #3 WR at best.

These “he’s not a #1 WR” arguments are as nonsensical today as they were when he was on the team. It’s only relevant if Anderson was getting #1 WR money. He got $10MM/year, at which the team surely could have locked him up - possibly less, since he got off to a low start statistically in 2019 - when we turned down trading him for a 4th rounder to keep him for 2 more months of an already-lost season.

His comparison isn’t DeAndre Hopkins or Julio Jones who got contracts for more than double. 

Well, I misunderstood what you meant. 

56 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

This is relevant how? Did he get a #1 WR contract with multiple guaranteed seasons?

It's relevant because he's open because they have other receivers that are better than he is. Geez. It's not hard to figure out. And let's stop saying we should have kept him - our offer from what was said, was better or just as good as Carolina's. He wanted to be with his college coach, so I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. He's a decent #2 and very good #3. Good for him.

Just now, Greensleeves said:

It's relevant because he's open because they have other receivers that are better than he is. Geez. It's not hard to figure out. And let's stop saying we should have kept him - our offer from what was said, was better or just as good as Carolina's. He wanted to be with his college coach, so I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. He's a decent #2 and very good #3. Good for him.

See @Sperm Edwards, earlier in thread.

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

If you ask who would move the needle more on this team Quinnen or DK, most people who have to say that DK would.   That said it would have taken a huge set of balls to draft DK at 3 last year.  But the Jets would be better off with DK over QW.  

The qualifier being that Russell Wilson makes every receiver look good in that program

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.   So what if you gave Robby even $2 million more per year?  That’s not going to adversely effect the cap.  You could have still signed Perriman.   Hell, JD pissed away $8 million on Ryan Khalil alone, let’s not act like over spending by a couple million per year for Robby would have Thrown the Jets into cap hell. 

For sure.  I'll never understand Jets fans and the nickel and diming over "a players worth" - would you give a **** about that couple of extra million vs. throwing to Chris Hogan, Josh Malone and Braxton Berrios?

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A #2 actually.  Which is what he is now.

A view I'm comfortable standing by.  

All this banshee-like keening over the loss of Anderson is just truly sad.  It says alot about the state of our franchise and fans.

I will remind folks, our GM did offer him a fair deal, reportedly.  He decided he'd rather leave, and rejoin his beloved college coach. 

His choice, not ours.

I'll add, having Robby wouldn't change anything about the state of our team today.  We'd still be 0-2 and we'd still suck at scoring, just like we were when we had Robby all those years.

The Jets offered him the 2nd-best deal, which itself was less than the deal they’d have had to offer him at the trade deadline last season. He took the better on-paper deal. 

It’s not that Anderson’s some irreplaceable player; no one thinks that. It’s that given the team’s situation at the time, with only one starting WR on the roster (a slot receiver at that), the team was not in a position to squabble over $2MM for 1 season, since he only got 1 year guaranteed.

It’s that it shows some shortsightedness, missing the forest (no outside WRs) by looking at the trees (worrying if he’s not worth $11MM instead of $10MM). And it’s only more upsetting that the team would turn down trading him 2 months before his final season ended (when we were at 1-6) and then didn’t make him an offer until FA had started. You make that offer before turning down the trade, and if Anderson doesn’t accept it then take the pick. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

For sure.  I'll never understand Jets fans and the nickel and diming over "a players worth" - would you give a **** about that couple of extra million vs. throwing to Chris Hogan, Josh Malone and Braxton Berrios?

Agreed.  At some point you need to establish some sort of core group of players around your QB.  This constant turning over of the entire WR group year after year helps no one.  Next year we are once again faced with having only 3 WRs under contract, Mims, Crowder and Berrios.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

This only comes into play if Anderson came back to the Jets with the Panthers offer and they declined. From the sound of it, that didn’t happen. The Anderson camp felt disrespected by the Jets not offering $15-ish per and took the Panthers  short money on a prove-it deal. He’s scheduled to make $8 mil next year, which he’s not going to want to play for. 

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The Jets offered him the 2nd-best deal, which itself was less than the deal they’d have had to offer him at the trade deadline last season. He took the better on-paper deal. 

It’s not that Anderson’s some irreplaceable player; no one thinks that. It’s that given the team’s situation at the time, with only one starting WR on the roster (a slot receiver at that), the team was not in a position to squabble over $2MM for 1 season, since he only got 1 year guaranteed.

It’s that it shows some shortsightedness, missing the forest (no outside WRs) by looking at the trees (worrying if he’s not worth $11MM instead of $10MM). And it’s only more upsetting that the team would turn down trading him 2 months before his final season ended (when we were at 1-6) and then didn’t make him an offer until FA had started. You make that offer before turning down the trade, and if Anderson doesn’t accept it then take the pick. 

Anderson is (and was) replaceable.  He isn't doing anything special so-far for the equally 0-2 Carolina Panthers.  He's basically still a Crowder-level performer, with one long-bomb exaggerating his stats thru only two weeks.  He's on-par as a #2 WR, which is what I called him, and how he should be paid.  You do not improve your team overpaying for 2nd tier talent and doubling down on that talent filling a 1st tier role.

We drafted Mims, a decent enough prospect, who SHOULD have been on the field and performing as a #3 WR (at least) from day 1.  We signed Perriman, a reach as a #1 to be sure, but a player who should be filling the old Anderson #1-who-is-really-a-#2 role.  We had Crowder, a generally reliable enough slot #2.  We had Smyth and a few other bench-type players, a few of which some thought had potential.

The fact that Adam Gase teams are cursed by widespread injuries in a way that simply cannot be explained does not mean we should have overpaid for Anderson, as Anderson would make no difference whatsoever right now.  We would/should have been fine at WR, but we're not, because they're all hurt.  Failing to plan to have your #1, #2, #3 and #4 WR"s all hurt is not being "short sighted", IMO.

If there is an issue here, it's not Anderson.  It's why have all our players been made of tissue paper recently. 

Or, to (mis)quote our own past, they're all "like eggs out there".

End of the day, I just don't get the pining for him.  He's done ok thru two games, for a 0-2 team, with a better QB and materially better supporting cast.  Good for him, I don;t think the million difference made the difference.  I think his ex-college coach made the difference in this case.  As others pointed out, till the end, there was no reason to bid against ourselves for Anderson. 

But, if it makes you all feel better to boo hoo for Anderson, by all means, rock on.  I'd rather look at the issues of real import for this team, like Sam Darnold, Adam Gase, and the rampant injuries.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This only comes into play if Anderson came back to the Jets with the Panthers offer and they declined. From the sound of it, that didn’t happen. The Anderson camp felt disrespected by the Jets not offering $15-ish per and took the Panthers  short money on a prove-it deal. He’s scheduled to make $8 mil next year, which he’s not going to want to play for. 

Ok, so they originally nickled and dimed him and he left accordingly.  I get feeling disrespected if you're in Anderson's camp.  If you look at the Jets and see what value Anderson brings to the team, I too would feel disrespected.  They're terrible from top to bottom and a little extra cash isnt worth it for your franchise QB when you have NOTHING and the most cap space in the league?  Stupid AF, not sure what the challenge is here.  They ****ed up.  Bottom line.  And now they're turning over the WR group, again, next year.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Remember him? Man it's crazy seeing teddy and him Chuck it up like no big deal looking all good and sh*t. Funny how when they wore green and white they were bad but now all of a sudden they are great.

Teddy looked like sh*t last week. Panthers are as bad as the jets. 

47 minutes ago, Warfish said:

All this banshee-like keening over the loss of Anderson is just truly sad.  It says alot about the state of our franchise and fans.

I will remind folks, our GM did offer him a fair deal, reportedly.  He decided he'd rather leave, and rejoin his beloved college coach. 

His choice, not ours.

I'll add, having Robby wouldn't change anything about the state of our team today.  We'd still be 0-2 and we'd still suck at scoring, just like we were when we had Robby all those years.

Disagree. Letting Robbie go for what it would have cost to resign him was one more signal to the Jets players that management was viewing 2020 as a write off year. Players are much more likely to make "business decisions" themselves if the believe that is what the organization is doing.

• Upvote 2

Just now, JiF said:

Ok, so they originally nickled and dimed him and he left accordingly.  I get feeling disrespected if you're in Anderson's camp.  If you look at the Jets and see what value Anderson brings to the team, I too would feel disrespected.  They're terrible from top to bottom and a little extra cash isnt worth it for your franchise QB when you have NOTHING and the most cap space in the league?  Stupid AF, not sure what the challenge is here.  They ****ed up.  Bottom line.  And now they're turning over the WR group, again, next year.

I think you’re overreacting to Anderson putting up two good statistical games. Nobody was crying when he left six months ago. Mims presumably comes back in a week or two and he’s the guy we hope to replace Anderson. The underlying issue with Anderson is why he was invisible here most weeks with Sam Darnold throwing at him, but he looks engaged and productive playing with Bridgewater. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Disagree. Letting Robbie go for what it would have cost to resign him was one more signal to the Jets players that management was viewing 2020 as a write off year.

Pure hindsight.  No one on this site said that BEFORE we started a pathetic, inept, injury-plagued 0-2.

Players are much more likely to make "business decisions" themselves if the believe that is what the organization is doing.

And Anderson was free to do as he wished.

I guess I'm missing the point here, what does us having vs. not having Anderson, of all people, mean really?  I'm not seeing the great loss here.  We sucked with him on offense, now we suck without him (and without literally all the players we signed to replace him).

So what exactly is the point here?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think you’re overreacting to Anderson putting up two good statistical games. Nobody was crying when he left six months ago. Mims presumably comes back in a week or two and he’s the guy we hope to replace Anderson. The underlying issue with Anderson is why he was invisible here most weeks with Sam Darnold throwing at him, but he looks engaged and productive playing with Bridgewater. 

Ummm, yes, I was very vocal that just letting him walk with a huge mistake.  Still feel that way.  Mims was a top 5 favorite WR in the draft for me but I I'm still very aware he could bust.  All teams need an Anderson.  All of them.  Now we dont have one.  Now, we are looking for one.  Now, we are hitting reset all over again at WR next season.  Not sure why that's not registering but the bottom line is, it's poor roster management. 

The rest of that is just convenient excuse making with no merit.  He was auditioning for a contract. 

• Upvote 3

We really have a thread regarding Robbie Anderson and wanting him to still be here? That alone sums up the sorry state of this franchise that is there for 50 years and will never go away until we actually have true football people running the operation.

Go back and look at film of Robbie - he will make some catches that you simply look and say how the heck did he do that. Then look at a 10 yard out pattern that hits him in the hands and he drops it. Or look at a ball where he has to fight a defender for the catch. He loses.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Ummm, yes, I was very vocal that just letting him walk with a huge mistake.  Still feel that way.  Mims was a top 5 favorite WR in the draft for me but I I'm still very aware he could bust.  All teams need an Anderson.  All of them.  Now we dont have one.  Now, we are looking for one.  Now, we are hitting reset all over again at WR next season.  Not sure why that's not registering but the bottom line is, it's poor roster management. 

The rest of that is just convenient excuse making with no merit.  He was auditioning for a contract. 

And the Jets offered him a contract when noooobody else was offering him sh*t. He signed with the Panthers on March 24th to an (effectively) one year deal. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

His choice, not ours.

As is Robbie's team..

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Remember him? Man it's crazy seeing teddy and him Chuck it up like no big deal looking all good and sh*t. Funny how when they wore green and white they were bad but now all of a sudden they are great.

He's gone.....deal with it.

So is Joe Namath....So is Al Toon.  So is Wayne Chrebet.  So is Joe Klecko.  So is Curtin Martin.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

His choice, not ours.

I hugely disagree - Certainly about how it wouldn't change things.

We'd still be 0-2 probably yes but our young QB would at least have some NFL competence around him a make or break season. We invested a ton to fix the line but then went out of our way to downgrade elsewhere for the sake of a few million. We could have got an affordable deal done long before Carolina entered the picture. In an offence absolutely devoid of talent you can't let a premiere deep threat leave. 

As @JiF pointed out we could have signed Perriman and Robby. Suddenly everyone on offence has a better matchup. As it is right now there are players starting this week who would struggle to make another NFL roster while the QB plays for his job. It's a disgrace. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Sure, Mims should be better than Anderson, but we can’t keep swapping guys, you need depth at some point. You need to add WRs.   Why not Mims and Anderson and Crowder and even throw in Perriman.   It’s awesome that there is $70 million in cap space, but there is also only 34 guys under contract.   It’s deja vu for this franchise again.  Lots of cap space, but LOTS of holes.  

Agreed, but I think in real time, Douglas handled this the way he handled every other negotiation: he made an offer that was (seemingly) at market and let the player take it or leave it. In retrospect, he could have offered more, but he would have been bidding against himself for a player who was just ok last year. I mean, go back in time and ask yourself—is Robby Anderson the kind of player and personality you want to hand a lot of guaranteed money and years to? Not even the Panthers thought so, which is why they gave him the cash up front on a two year deal

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Sure, Mims should be better than Anderson, but we can’t keep swapping guys, you need depth at some point. You need to add WRs.   Why not Mims and Anderson and Crowder and even throw in Perriman.   It’s awesome that there is $70 million in cap space, but there is also only 34 guys under contract.   It’s deja vu for this franchise again.  Lots of cap space, but LOTS of holes.  

Douglas is not burdened by failures of the franchise’s past, so he can take a wait and see approach in a year with no preseason, COVID, retooling the entire OL and a horrible schedule.  And dealing Adams.  We sit here and hash over the same issues, whether he truly believes in darnold, whether gase will last the season, whether douglas will really address the wr need next offseason.  At this point all we really know is that beckton looks great.  

4 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I hugely disagree - Certainly about how it wouldn't change things.

We'd still be 0-2 probably yes but our young QB would at least have some NFL competence around him a make or break season. We invested a ton to fix the line but then went out of our way to downgrade elsewhere for the sake of a few million. We could have got an affordable deal done long before Carolina entered the picture. In an offence absolutely devoid of talent you can't let a premiere deep threat leave. 

As @JiF pointed out we could have signed Perriman and Robby. Suddenly everyone on offence has a better matchup. As it is right now there are players starting this week who would struggle to make another NFL roster while the QB plays for his job. It's a disgrace. 

For sure and this idea that "one big play" a game isnt valuable is insanity.  The Jets are awful, they're not going to go out and win the execution battle and beat the man in front of them every single weak.  In fact, as we know, they will consistently lose if that's the strategy.  A game breaking play to take the pressure off being perfect is so insanely huge for an offense/a young QB, I really dont know how to state it any better.  If that doesnt register, I dont know what else to say.

• Upvote 2