Robbie

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Anderson is (and was) replaceable.  He isn't doing anything special so-far for the equally 0-2 Carolina Panthers.  He's basically still a Crowder-level performer, with one long-bomb exaggerating his stats thru only two weeks.  He's on-par as a #2 WR, which is what I called him, and how he should be paid.  You do not improve your team overpaying for 2nd tier talent and doubling down on that talent filling a 1st tier role.

We drafted Mims, a decent enough prospect, who SHOULD have been on the field and performing as a #3 WR (at least) from day 1.  We signed Perriman, a reach as a #1 to be sure, but a player who should be filling the old Anderson #1-who-is-really-a-#2 role.  We had Crowder, a generally reliable enough slot #2.  We had Smyth and a few other bench-type players, a few of which some thought had potential.

The fact that Adam Gase teams are cursed by widespread injuries in a way that simply cannot be explained does not mean we should have overpaid for Anderson, as Anderson would make no difference whatsoever right now.  We would/should have been fine at WR, but we're not, because they're all hurt.  Failing to plan to have your #1, #2, #3 and #4 WR"s all hurt is not being "short sighted", IMO.

If there is an issue here, it's not Anderson.  It's why have all our players been made of tissue paper recently. 

Or, to (mis)quote our own past, they're all "like eggs out there".

End of the day, I just don't get the pining for him.  He's done ok thru two games, for a 0-2 team, with a better QB and materially better supporting cast.  Good for him, I don;t think the million difference made the difference.  I think his ex-college coach made the difference in this case.  As others pointed out, till the end, there was no reason to bid against ourselves for Anderson. 

But, if it makes you all feel better to boo hoo for Anderson, by all means, rock on.  I'd rather look at the issues of real import for this team, like Sam Darnold, Adam Gase, and the rampant injuries.

See my last reply to TS because there’s no need to type it twice. But suffice to say you’re also playing this convenient game where the decision on him began in March. The shortsightedness isn’t about how many injuries there are. It’s about presuming that a WR corps is complete by adding to Crowder a busted former #1 draft pick, then another former #1 draft pick who quit in August, plus one rookie draft pick (whom we didn’t know we would get in March, let alone in October before that).

It’s hardly warrants the next line of strawman arguments like this is the only problem or even the team’s biggest problem. But his handling of it was a significant problem because it shows shortsightedness at the position both in FA and in the draft. That’s more of a concern than whether or not we have Robby Anderson in 2020. I was thrilled we landed a good prospect like Mims, but Douglas was so pleased with his luck that he then acted like the position had just been secured by a sure thing who’d produce and stay healthy.

Anderson wasn’t overpaid, and no one is seriously advocating they should have overpaid him in the $15MM range. In that market he was appropriately paid, if not underpaid, seeing how his FA comp got $11MM/year the prior FA period. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

See my last reply to TS because there’s no need to type it twice. But suffice to say you’re also playing this convenient game where the decision on him began in March. The shortsightedness isn’t about how many injuries there are. It’s about presuming that a WR corps is complete by adding to Crowder a busted former #1 draft pick, then another former #1 draft pick who quit in August, plus one rookie draft pick (whom we didn’t know we would get in March, let alone in October before that).

It’s hardly warrants the next line of strawman arguments like this is the only problem or even the team’s biggest problem. But his handling of it was a significant problem because it shows shortsightedness at the position both in FA and in the draft. That’s more of a concern than whether or not we have Robby Anderson in 2020. I was thrilled we landed a good prospect like Mims, but Douglas was so pleased with his luck that he then acted like the position had just been secured by a sure thing who’d produce and stay healthy.

Anderson wasn’t overpaid, and no one is seriously advocating they should have overpaid him in the $15MM range. In that market he was appropriately paid, if not underpaid, seeing how his FA comp got $11MM/year the prior FA period. 

I really think douglas thought that between v smith, perriman and mims he’d more than replaced Robbie.  Maybe we’ll see in a few weeks.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Remember him? Man it's crazy seeing teddy and him Chuck it up like no big deal looking all good and sh*t. Funny how when they wore green and white they were bad but now all of a sudden they are great.

Teddy is great?  They put up 17 points against the vaunted Bucs D.  He has thrown for a bunch of yards and is over 70% but his TD/INT is 1/2 and they are 0-2.  Can you say garbage time?  The Panthers D is pretty bad, so I expect more production.

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Anderson is running as Carolina's number two WR (behind DJ Moore) and number 3 offensive weapon. That's a good setup for him to succeed. Being the number 1 WR and focus of the passing game isn't a role he's suited for and anyone who thinks he'd be putting up the same numbers here is delusional

This is true, but he is the #2 WR and #3 weapon and putting up the most yards and catches, plus he scored the only TD.  It is a good set-up, but he is making the most of it.  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Breshard Perriman and Josh Doctson.  lmfao.  ******* colossal busts.   Shocked we didnt sign Kevin White.

We tried, JiF.  We tried.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

They offered him 4/$40. How much should they have offered him?

2/$22M.

1 hour ago, DJF71 said:

Perriman had 5 good games at the end of the season last year. That is all he has had in his career.  There is a reason he is on his 3rd team.

He had 3 good games.  That is unless you think 70 yards is a good game.  If you think 70 yards is good, he had a couple of "good" games with the Browns in 2018.

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You all called me crazy for saying last year, "**** it, just draft DK at 3".

Ah, the irony.  If the Jets had just said "**** it" and drafted the combine warrior at the position of need, we would be watching Mahomes throw to Metcalf instead of this dreck.  

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think you’re overreacting to Anderson putting up two good statistical games. Nobody was crying when he left six months ago. Mims presumably comes back in a week or two and he’s the guy we hope to replace Anderson. The underlying issue with Anderson is why he was invisible here most weeks with Sam Darnold throwing at him, but he looks engaged and productive playing with Bridgewater. 

We hope Mims replaces Anderson?  Wasn't that Perriman?  Did anybody look at last seasons WRs, and think "we are losing Anderson and Thomas.  We have to replace them."?  You looked at that horrific group and thought "WE NEED TO UPGRADE!!"  We didn't.  I get that Rome wasn't built in a day, but I understand people complaining about the effort made at WR.  Also, Douglas gets more than a day, but you don't get more than 3 years to build a roster.  

MULTIQUOTE FTMFW!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I hugely disagree - Certainly about how it wouldn't change things.

We'd still be 0-2 probably yes

So no meaningful change in the most important area, wins.  Got it.

but our young QB would at least have some NFL competence around him a make or break season.

Our young QB is a major part of our problems in the passing game.  At some point folks will have to face that truth.

We invested a ton to fix the line but then went out of our way to downgrade elsewhere for the sake of a few million.

A healthy Perriman and Mims in an upgrade over Anderson.  You simply cannot ignore the effect of injuries in this analysis.

It's easy to prove this, imagine Anderson chooses to stay, and we still draft Mims.  And Anderson gets hurt.  We'd be in the exact same spot today as we are now, except folks would be complaining we paid Anderson.   

We could have got an affordable deal done long before Carolina entered the picture. In an offence absolutely devoid of talent you can't let a premiere deep threat leave. 

"Premiere deep threat".  Riiiiight.

As @JiF pointed out we could have signed Perriman and Robby. Suddenly everyone on offence has a better matchup. As it is right now there are players starting this week who would struggle to make another NFL roster while the QB plays for his job. It's a disgrace. 

It's was a disgrace WITH Anderson.  We were the dead last passing O in the NFL WITH Anderson and our "young QB". 

How quickly folks forget.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I want to believe in Douglas as well - and indeed, really like some things he’s done and still have hope, but this is a massive oversimplification. Not to mention it’s also without merit. The “$15MM” thing was a wishful-thinking number his agent floated out there to the leauge, which Anderson was never going to get coming off a second sub-800 yard season; it was never a hard-line number from secret negotiations with the Jets. But lots of guys got less than expected because this was a relative buyer’s market FA period when guys like Conklin were supposed to fetch $18-19MM yet settled on $14MM from Cleveland (far more of a surprise than Robby Anderson topping out at $12MM guaranteed). 

This decision started not in March 2020, but in October 2019, in the days leading up to the trade deadline. Douglas let it be known he’s on the trading block. I’m fine there. But it’s like he only had a plan if he got a 2nd round pick or a 7th round pick as the offers: clearly take the former and turn down the latter. He got the in-between offer. He turned that down, too, but what he should have done is made the extension offer at that time. And if Anderson “felt disrespected” then take the pick because it’s too much to turn away to keep him just to mop up an already-lost season.

What smart GM, with zero job security questions, effectively trades away a 4th round pick to get 9 more games of a #2 WR when sitting effectively eliminated already at 1-6, without offering an extension?

The choices were to trade Anderson and take the pick, or make him an offer and keep him if he takes it; trade him if he scoffs at it. Especially when everyone could see even at that point that there was going to be next to no WR market in the upcoming FA period. Then what, draft a WR - probably not with the first pick - and gamble that this player balls out in a huge way as a rookie? That’s a low-percentage wish, not a plan. 

The top offer should have capped out at ~$12MM/year with the same amount guaranteed. What’s the big deal if the second season isn’t guaranteed anyway — offer him 2/$24 with half guaranteed, or 3/36 with the same 12 guaranteed. The Jets’ 4/40 offer is much worse/lower, since he’s only going to see the last 2-3 years of it if he could get at least that on the open market as a 2021 or 2022 FA anyway. 

He screwed this one up. No, you don’t put Anderson on this roster and suddenly all concerns (and losses) evaporate, but absent finding out RA was a major locker room problem, this was an irrational way for Douglas to handle this one. 

Great points....but....BUT....if you’re the GM and you float a player and the best offer you get back from the 31 other teams is a 4, I think that gives you some confidence that you can go into free agency with said player with some confidence that no one is going to blow him away with a contract offer. You know his market is sh*t. As a practical matter, sure, he could have looked at the roster and the landscape and determined that Robby was more valuable to his team than he is to anyone else—and that’s certainly playing out right now with the injuries—but at the time, I don’t agree that his choices were 1. Take the 4 and be done with it, or, 2. Ply him with a contract that isn’t—at the time—commensurate with his value around the league, as determined by the lack of interest in his services. Hell, if it wasn’t for Rhule being his college coach, Anderson probably doesn’t get close to the rumored 4/$40mm that we offered. 

He was going to Carolina unless we offered him silly money. Move on. I liked Robbie but let's not act like he wasn't prone to drops and had essentially zero ability to catch contested balls. No one could have anticipated the ridiculous amount of injuries the Jets have had at receiver. I swear that Jets fans are happier when they are torturing themselves o

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I really think douglas thought that between v smith, perriman and mims he’d more than replaced Robbie.  Maybe we’ll see in a few weeks.

The problem is in thinking it’s an either-or decision there. 

The team has a QB playing under his rookie contract. Part of what we’d hoped is the team could use that advantage so they didn’t have to bend over to be so frugal, down to the last 1-2 million, to surround him with players and may the best man win.  Put Anderson and Perriman out there with Crowder, and make Mims beat one of them out. 

People cry for this opportunity to get a little carefree in FA by having rookie-contract starters at key positions, and cry for competition, and then act satisfied with a master plan to hand out 2 of 3 starting WR jobs to a career 3rd stringer and a then-unnamed rookie.

This isn’t in place of obvious QB and HC concerns, but it’s additive.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Remember him? Man it's crazy seeing teddy and him Chuck it up like no big deal looking all good and sh*t. Funny how when they wore green and white they were bad but now all of a sudden they are great.

I'm pretty sure they have the same record as the Jest.

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Pure hindsight.  No one on this site said that BEFORE we started a pathetic, inept, injury-plagued 0-2.

And Anderson was free to do as he wished.

I guess I'm missing the point here, what does us having vs. not having Anderson, of all people, mean really?  I'm not seeing the great loss here.  We sucked with him on offense, now we suck without him (and without literally all the players we signed to replace him).

So what exactly is the point here?

The point is that the Jets leadership are not all in on 2020 and yet they expect the players to be. Hypocrisy will out.

JD can sign and draft basically 22 All Pros, but it will not matter if they can't stay on the field and play.  Something is wrong with that.\

How many players to the Jets extend before their contracts are over?  That is how you get deals.  We could have done that with Robby.

Every GM has to overpay for talent, depending on where a team is in the cycle.  Its how the Jets benefitted by unloading SR and Leo.  Today, it looks like we should have spent the extra $3mm to have Robby on the team to help Darnold.   JD did not think it was worth it.  In retrospect, that does not seem smart.  But you can see how he thought it could work with the other players.  

Injuries have made JD's plan look worse than it should have.  I actually think the plan at G was worse than WR.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So no meaningful change in the most important area, wins.  Got it.

Our young QB is a major part of our problems in the passing game.  At some point folks will have to face that truth.

A healthy Perriman and Mims in an upgrade over Anderson.  You simply cannot ignore the effect of injuries in this analysis.

It's easy to prove this, imagine Anderson chooses to stay, and we still draft Mims.  And Anderson gets hurt.  We'd be in the exact same spot today as we are now, except folks would be complaining we paid Anderson.   

It's was a disgrace WITH Anderson.  We were the dead last passing O in the NFL WITH Anderson and our "young QB". 

So, you want to count on the guy who was never hurt as getting hurt as part of your analysis on why not to sign him?  Why not talk about the suspension that he never got?  I heard a bunch about that.  If you want to blame injuries, I get it, but Perriman was oft-injured and was healthy most of this time, and he still sucked.  Why not count on Enunwa at this point?  I mean he was signed and he was hurt.  

Oh, and the Jets weren't dead last in passing offense with Anderson and Darnold.  They were bad, but they were never at the bottom in passing offense and that is without throwing out the 3 games of Luke Falk.  They are not even dead last now, though they are a bit closer. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed, but I think in real time, Douglas handled this the way he handled every other negotiation: he made an offer that was (seemingly) at market and let the player take it or leave it. In retrospect, he could have offered more, but he would have been bidding against himself for a player who was just ok last year. I mean, go back in time and ask yourself—is Robby Anderson the kind of player and personality you want to hand a lot of guaranteed money and years to? Not even the Panthers thought so, which is why they gave him the cash up front on a two year deal

Agree about JD and his FA philosophy thus far.  I’m not even a huge fan of Robby, but even if you gave Robby 12 million per for 2 years, fully guaranteed, it would not have adverse cap affects.   Even if Robby went off the rails, so be it you eat the second year.  I just though that the WR situation was so bleak that they kinda had to make more of an effort to keep him.  

I know everyone is banking on a bountiful free agent WR group next year, but we all know that will look very different when March 18th rolls around.  We’ll be sitting here with yet another pile of cash and begging the likes of the Perriman’s and the Doctson’s to take our money again.  JD is going to have to spin some draft capital into established vets for the WR group because other than maybe JuJu, I don’t see a lot of these other guys hitting the market.  

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But suffice to say you’re also playing this convenient game where the decision on him began in March.

No, I'd say the decision was made long before he hit free agency:  JD wasn't going to overpay for a player like Anderson.

The shortsightedness isn’t about how many injuries there are. It’s about presuming that a WR corps is complete by adding to Crowder a busted former #1 draft pick, then another former #1 draft pick who quit in August, plus one rookie draft pick (whom we didn’t know we would get in March, let alone in October before that).

Perriman, Crowder, Mims, Smith, Berrios, Herndon, Griffith, Bell, Perine.

That should be enough talent, if healthy, to not be the 32nd ranked Offense in the NFL.

And it's not the endpoint, it was (clearly IMO) JD's attempt to fill that gap as much as possible now, while planning for a future with legitimate talent from the draft.

End of the day tho, results are what they are.  Once again, we're devastated by injuries, and can't play Offense.  I blame Gase, Darnold, and injuries, in that order.  You guys seem to think it's because....of Anderson.  Fine, agree to disagree,

It’s hardly warrants the next line of strawman arguments like this is the only problem or even the team’s biggest problem.

Maybe we should spend our time on those biggest problems then, not meaningless "problems" like Anderson.

But his handling of it was a significant problem because it shows shortsightedness at the position both in FA and in the draft.

I'll repeat, there was no short-sightedness IMO.

Perriman, Crowder, Mims, Smith, Berrios, Herndon, Griffith, Bell, Perine should have been enough.  With future high-draft pick WR's presumably/surely still to come.

I was thrilled we landed a good prospect like Mims, but Douglas was so pleased with his luck that he then acted like the position had just been secured by a sure thing who’d produce and stay healthy.

Can't fix everything in one year.  We had holes everywhere.  

The only truly questionable move was the backup QB, and not, say a Gandy-Golden.  But clearly Darnold 

He wasn't taking $11M here.  He took it in Carolina because he was mad at us and because it was his former Coach.  He was demanding the higher value and thought himself worthy of #1 WR money.

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So no change.

Well no. But also yes.

He has been at times. And then there's games like Sunday where he looked to be one of the few good players on the field. Either way this was always going to be a decisive year and once again we've given him far more reasons to fail than succeed. I'm well aware we'll likely be moving on from Darnold, and would be all over Lawrence if we had the first pick but it's possible that Sam not showing enough and Sam being f*cked by Jets can both be true. 

There is no evidence that either is even close to an upgrade over Anderson. Mims hasn't played a down. Perriman has never started more than four games in a season. Then we turn around in shock that he's not available. Absolutely laughable.

Anderson has missed two games in his career and started 16 even on Gases death squad. Perriman was always going to carry more of an injury risk.  

Easily a premiere deep threat. You deny this while also saying his deep scores are only inflating his real production lmao. You just said his top 5 production this season is nothing special because he caught a long one. 

Yes it was. And who would struggle more with a bottom of the barrel offensive line than the guy who does his work down the field. You rebuild the unit that will let Robby be a factor and then remove him. Only the Jets. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agree about JD and his FA philosophy thus far.  I’m not even a huge fan of Robby, but even if you gave Robby 12 million per for 2 years, fully guaranteed, it would not have adverse cap affects.   Even if Robby went off the rails, so be it you eat the second year.  I just though that the WR situation was so bleak that they kinda had to make more of an effort to keep him.  

I know everyone is banking on a bountiful free agent WR group next year, but we all know that will look very different when March 18th rolls around.  We’ll be sitting here with yet another pile of cash and begging the likes of the Perriman’s and the Doctson’s to take our money again.  JD is going to have to spin some draft capital into established vets for the WR group because other than maybe JuJu, I don’t see a lot of these other guys hitting the market.  

I was shocked that they didn’t use any of the picks they have to acquire a veteran receiver. It’s been a major disservice to Darnold and, given all the receiver injuries around the league already, the price for any decent vet has skyrocketed. My thing is that not giving Robby a bunch of money in March looks bad now, but it was a decent play at the time, imo

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Great points....but....BUT....if you’re the GM and you float a player and the best offer you get back from the 31 other teams is a 4, I think that gives you some confidence that you can go into free agency with said player with some confidence that no one is going to blow him away with a contract offer. You know his market is sh*t. As a practical matter, sure, he could have looked at the roster and the landscape and determined that Robby was more valuable to his team than he is to anyone else—and that’s certainly playing out right now with the injuries—but at the time, I don’t agree that his choices were 1. Take the 4 and be done with it, or, 2. Ply him with a contract that isn’t—at the time—commensurate with his value around the league, as determined by the lack of interest in his services. Hell, if it wasn’t for Rhule being his college coach, Anderson probably doesn’t get close to the rumored 4/$40mm that we offered. 

That's fine in theory, but only if it succeeds. The reality is 4/40 is a lower contract than he was expected to fetch before FA started (forget that $15MM/year nonsense which was purely agent-blustering). For a player with such a high opinion of himself, it's also a worse deal than 2/20 (never mind 2/24 with 12 gtd). 

Douglas got too cute with it. Hey he got cute with a couple other decisions and they paid off (e.g. trading down instead of taking Mims, and then still ending up with Mims plus an extra pick). Or hanging onto Adams in hopes someone in the 11th hour rescues him from having to offer a ridiculous extension. 

But a fool thinks he can be this cute all the time and always come up smelling like roses. I'd further argue that an extra couple million of non-guaranteed money at Anderson was worth more than offering Fant $9MM instead of the former teammate who started over him yet only got a veteran minimum contract from the Bears. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

We hope Mims replaces Anderson?  Wasn't that Perriman?  Did anybody look at last seasons WRs, and think "we are losing Anderson and Thomas.  We have to replace them."?  You looked at that horrific group and thought "WE NEED TO UPGRADE!!"  We didn't.  I get that Rome wasn't built in a day, but I understand people complaining about the effort made at WR.  Also, Douglas gets more than a day, but you don't get more than 3 years to build a roster.  

Agree with you that more should have been done, but I disagree that sticking with Robby represented upgrading that group.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The problem is in thinking it’s an either-or decision there. 

The team has a QB playing under his rookie contract. Part of what we’d hoped is the team could use that advantage so they didn’t have to bend over to be so frugal, down to the last 1-2 million, to surround him with players and may the best man win.  Put Anderson and Perriman out there with Crowder, and make Mims beat one of them out. 

People cry for this opportunity to get a little carefree in FA by having rookie-contract starters at key positions, and cry for competition, and then act satisfied with a master plan to hand out 2 of 3 starting WR jobs to a career 3rd stringer and a then-unnamed rookie.

This isn’t in place of obvious QB and HC concerns, but it’s additive.

Very true.  Clearly douglas was not “all in” this year.  And given all the changes to the OL, the adams problem and COVID, not to mention a very tough schedule, I can see why.  This year is about evaluating darnold and developing the rookies so that by the end of the year douglas can target the guys he really wants and get rid of more of mccaagnan’s mess.  Unfortunately we fans don’t get this year of our lives back.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No, I'd say the decision was made long before he hit free agency:  JD wasn't going to overpay for a player like Anderson.

Perriman, Crowder, Mims, Smith, Berrios, Herndon, Griffith, Bell, Perine.

That should be enough talent, if healthy, to not be the 32nd ranked Offense in the NFL.

And it's not the endpoint, it was (clearly IMO) JD's attempt to fill that gap as much as possible now, while planning for a future with legitimate talent from the draft.

End of the day tho, results are what they are.  Once again, we're devastated by injuries, and can't play Offense.  I blame Gase, Darnold, and injuries, in that order.  You guys seem to think it's because....of Anderson.  Fine, agree to disagree,

Maybe we should spend our time on those biggest problems then, not meaningless "problems" like Anderson.

I'll repeat, there was no short-sightedness IMO.

Perriman, Crowder, Mims, Smith, Berrios, Herndon, Griffith, Bell, Perine should have been enough.  With future high-draft pick WR's presumably/surely still to come.

Can't fix everything in one year.  We had holes everywhere.  

The only truly questionable move was the backup QB, and not, say a Gandy-Golden.  But clearly Darnold 

He wasn't taking $11M here.  He took it in Carolina because he was mad at us and because it was his former Coach.  He was demanding the higher value and thought himself worthy of #1 WR money.

Yeah except this isn't true. Anderson was publicly thrilled to not be traded when the trade didn't go through. And if the team couldn't get him on a market-value deal then take the 4th round pick for him instead of effectively paying that 4th round pick for 9 games of mop-up in 2019. 

And sure that lineup is enough to be not-32nd, but not enough to be particularly good. Not unless Darnold was at least twice the QB he is or ever will be, Gase becomes a good team manager, and the line mimicked the one we had a decade ago. 

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Very true.  Clearly douglas was not “all in” this year.  And given all the changes to the OL, the adams problem and COVID, not to mention a very tough schedule, I can see why.  This year is about evaluating darnold and developing the rookies so that by the end of the year douglas can target the guys he really wants and get rid of more of mccaagnan’s mess.  Unfortunately we fans don’t get this year of our lives back.

If the year was "all about evaluating Darnold" then why worry about an extra $2MM for this year alone? His evaluation isn't worth $2MM when you're going to be faced with whether or not to offer him some $35MM per season (or whatever he'll get offered that he isn't worth)?

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Oh, and the Jets weren't dead last in passing offense with Anderson and Darnold.  They were bad, but they were never at the bottom in passing offense and that is without throwing out the 3 games of Luke Falk.  They are not even dead last now, though they are a bit closer. 

25th in 2018, 29th in 2019, 30th in 2020 to-date.

Distinction without a difference.  We sucked on Offense with Darnold throwing to Anderson, and now we suck with Darnold throwing to a group of #5's because our #1, #2, #3 and #4 WR's are all hurt.  

I think, honestly, that many of you are focussed on Anderlols, because you don't want to face the looming truth about Gase and Darnold's likely futures.

6 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

That’s fake news, they never offered him anything 

Says him.  I don't believe him. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I was shocked that they didn’t use any of the picks they have to acquire a veteran receiver. It’s been a major disservice to Darnold and, given all the receiver injuries around the league already, the price for any decent vet has skyrocketed. My thing is that not giving Robby a bunch of money in March looks bad now, but it was a decent play at the time, imo

The injury to Mims has totally exacerbated and magnified the WR situation.   I never ever liked the Perriman signing but if he was healthy we would see a little more out of him, at least I hope we would.   At some point I would really love to give our QB some consistency from year to year.  We’ll see, JD has some serious work ahead of him. 

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agree with you that more should have been done, but I disagree that sticking with Robby represented upgrading that group.

Agreed.  It wouldn't represent upgrading, but it would be a pretty substantial step in not downgrading that group.

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

25th in 2018, 29th in 2019, 30th in 2020 to-date.

Distinction without a difference.  We sucked on Offense with Darnold throwing to Anderson, and now we suck with Darnold throwing to a group of #5's because our #1, #2, #3 and #4 WR's are all hurt.  

I think, honestly, that many of you are focussed on Anderlols, because you don't want to face the looming truth about Gase and Darnold's likely futures.

Says him.  I don't believe him. 

I don't even know what that last part is supposed to mean.  I am pretty far from a Gase guy and I like Darnold, but more in the Andy Dalton/Joe Flacco level than future savior.

You think that 25 to 32 is not a difference?  Seven teams is more than 20%.  Yes, I get that the team wasn't winning a super bowl, but if that is what you are basing all your personnel decisions on (I have heard that around here a ton) you're just being silly. 

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

Man I loved Anderson but according to the professionals here at JN, he’s easily replaceable because he’s a one trick pony. 

LMAO the professionals also said Demario Davis, who is now arguably one of the best ILB in the game, was overrated. Look at our ILB’s now.

There is numerous examples of this on this site. The fact people want Joe Douglas fired is just the natural reaction for the ever-suffering needing to be instantly gratified Jets fan.

Moral of the story: Don’t take anything on this site seriously.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.   So what if you gave Robby even $2 million more per year?  That’s not going to adversely effect the cap.  You could have still signed Perriman.   Hell, JD pissed away $8 million on Ryan Khalil alone, let’s not act like over spending by a couple million per year for Robby would have Thrown the Jets into cap hell. 

could have easily done it.  My guess is JD just didnt like robbie and wasnt willing to spend alot on the player.   

Whether we believe it to be too much money or not, its shown that JD has a number in his head for guys, a hard line limit.   He does not seem to go past that hard line, and apparently thats what happened with Robbie.  No GM has a perfect record,  If he overall fixes the WR situation next year, then you just chalk it up to "he had a plan, followed it, and he knew not everything could be fixed in one year". 

I would have drafted another. WR instead of zuniga or morgan but thats fine. 

• Upvote 1

Before he was officially signed by CAR, many warned that the Jets would regret losing Robbie--both for his play and contribution to Sam's development--we were, as usual, shouted down because "Robbie isn't worth $15M." Now that he left for much less the argument has morphed into "he is replaceable anyway."

Same as it ever was on JN.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

See, this sounds like a shot in the dark to me. Perriman was considered a bust before his last 4 games in TB. Mims, while a potentially terrific pick who I am very excited to see play, is still a rookie and it's hard to know what you are going to get from a 2nd round rookie WR. And Smith has some interesting potential, but let's be honest, he's probably not going to amount to anything. 

It was a lot safer to just give Anderson a little more money. (something I wrote at the time)

We really need Mims to be a player when he sees the field. 

48 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The injury to Mims has totally exacerbated and magnified the WR situation.   I never ever liked the Perriman signing but if he was healthy we would see a little more out of him, at least I hope we would.    

Would we? We saw almost nothing week 1. 

• Upvote 2

Jets fans, are by and large, stupid and dont know what they're talking about. And now some are still digging their heels in instead of just admitting they're wrong.

They were wrong about Anderson, they were wrong about Jamal. And often, it's the same people..

Literally the only defense for this season is that Douglas is intentionally tanking to get rid of Gase and Darnold. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

It doesn’t bother me that he wasn’t “all in” this year, given the starting point. I certainly didn’t want him to throw big money at older skill position veterans with clearly-declining skills.

It bothers me that this was a relatively minor investment in giving a young QB another arrow to shoot, as well as another body for any rookie (or new FA) to beat out before they get anointed full time starters. 

It’s not a dig on Douglas that all he does is Maccagnanesque. There were really only two moves I thought he should have made were with players that I saw as not just improving (or stopping a regression) but ones who could start here for 2-4 years. So Anderson was one. The other was Conklin. And the reason I’m annoyed about them is because both accepted contracts for millions less than people presumed it’d take to sign each. That the team still spent on veterans at these positions, except they opted for far less accomplished & known players in Perriman & Fant, makes it more discouraging.

I’ll at least say I’m a little encouraged that this GM realizes these positions were in need of more than a mid-round pick plus a has-been/stopgap veteran while he drafts & signs more DTs. Like (we’ll never know but) I don’t think he’d have stuck at #3 for a DT in a draft where he was already without a 2nd round pick. But his s**t still stinks like anyone else’s turds. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

More of an indictment on Sam than it is Douglas right now.

Correct.  He had basically the same catch % with Darnold as he did in the 2016-17 seasons with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and Josh McCown under center.

The Jets offered Anderson as much or more than the Panthers did (rumored 4 years, $40M).  He declined to go play with his Temple coach. 

We'd still suck if he had signed here, and we'd probably be complaining about the money we wasted on him by now.  Especially if/when he'd get injured. 

Enough with the tears, people.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s a pretty simplistic asinine statement.   Then why bother signing anybody?   Clearly no one player is going to affect the wins and losses on this roster this year.  

Exactly the point.  There wasn't any good reason to sign anything outside of band-aids this season.  Overpaying guys just because your roster sucks is exactly what Mike Maccagnan would do.

Build thru the draft, establish a core, and then you can start signing expensive guys to multi-year deals.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1