Robbie

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Correct.  He had basically the same catch % with Darnold as he did in the 2016-17 seasons with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and Josh McCown under center.

The Jets offered Anderson as much or more than the Panthers did (rumored 4 years, $40M).  He declined to go play with his Temple coach. 

Enough with the tears, people.

Being one of Robbo's supporter. I ain crying. It was just bloody stupid that JetNation slagged a solid WR who was an UDFA b/c  he wasn'tthe WR1 beast in the mold of Megatron, Julio Jones and DK Metcalf....

Our QB isn't even as good as Fitz thus far....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiF said:

For sure.  I'll never understand Jets fans and the nickel and diming over "a players worth" - would you give a **** about that couple of extra million vs. throwing to Chris Hogan, Josh Malone and Braxton Berrios?

Yes, we would, because Anderson would not be productive here, but we'd still be locked into him being the WR2 for the next 2 seasons because of his contract.  

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Young Jetty said:

LMAO the professionals also said Demario Davis, who is now arguably one of the best ILB in the game, was overrated. Look at our ILB’s now.

There is numerous examples of this on this site. The fact people want Joe Douglas fired is just the natural reaction for the ever-suffering needing to be instantly gratified Jets fan.

Moral of the story: Don’t take anything on this site seriously.

My ignore list is 5 pages long and I still read so much utter garbage....  theres porlly mayb 20-30 people that can talk about football and Jets w/ some REASON/CRITICAL THINKING

smfh

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think you’re overreacting to Anderson putting up two good statistical games. Nobody was crying when he left six months ago. Mims presumably comes back in a week or two and he’s the guy we hope to replace Anderson. The underlying issue with Anderson is why he was invisible here most weeks with Sam Darnold throwing at him, but he looks engaged and productive playing with Bridgewater. 

Speak for yourself, I was on here crying when we didn't resign him. I remember saying we'd be tanking for Lawrence after we didn't resign Robby and getting a lot of sh*t for it, boy have times changed.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly the point.  There wasn't any good reason to sign anything outside of band-aids this season.  Overpaying guys just because your roster sucks is exactly what Mike Maccagnan would do.

Build thru the draft, establish a core, and then you can start signing expensive guys to multi-year deals.

Robbie would've been a re-signing. So basically you're saying we shouldn't sign or re-sign anyone, let everyone walk after their rookie deals, and just keep hitting home runs in the draft. Great in theory but we all know not realistic--or at least not for the Jets over my lifetime.

• Haha 1

Once a guy gets to free agency, the power is all his.  He is making the decision where he wants to be, what offense he wants to play in, who he wants to play with, etc,

In Robby's case, he had a chance to reunite with his old college coach.  He was a teammate of Bridgewater for a short period during camp in 2018; don't know if that entered into his decision.  We don't know what his thought process was.  If he had little faith in Gase's offense or Darnold's development, we should not be surprised he left.

If you see a guy as part of your future, you have to try to lock him up before FA.  I get that sometimes that is not possible.  But there seems to be this narrative that we just had to match Carolina's offer, or sweeten it a little and we would have kept him.  No way of knowing if we could have.  By letting him get to FA, we are giving him the option to choose.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nobody has tears over Anderson....

You've posted thousands of words in this thread alone, almost all lamenting the "stupidity" of the loss of the "premiere deep threat" (as others in this thread called him) Anderson as being unacceptable.  I wouldn't call it tears.  But I would call it being pretty butthurt over the decision, tbqh.  Because you and others clearly are. 

As for your sadness over our "young QB", you might want to start thinking about a post-Darnold Jets.  He's simply not the "elite" talent so many Jets Fans bought into him being.  Not even close so far, even taking into account the other factors.  Barring a miracle, his time here is on the clock.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Sure, Mims should be better than Anderson, but we can’t keep swapping guys, you need depth at some point. You need to add WRs.   Why not Mims and Anderson and Crowder and even throw in Perriman.   It’s awesome that there is $70 million in cap space, but there is also only 34 guys under contract.   It’s deja vu for this franchise again.  Lots of cap space, but LOTS of holes.  

I would have signed Demarcus Robinson as a cheap WR4 on a 1-year deal, along with Perriman.  We did need at least one more body at the start of the season.

But no one could have foreseen the top 5 WRs on the depth chart all getting hurt.  

5 hours ago, Jethead said:

The point is that the Jets leadership are not all in on 2020 and yet they expect the players to be. Hypocrisy will out.

The players have no choice but to be "all in" on 2020.  With all the 1-year deals out there, many are playing for their jobs/careers.  This is a silly take.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, we would, because Anderson would not be productive here, but we'd still be locked into him being the WR2 for the next 2 seasons because of his contract.  

Bull sh*t, you would not be complaining about someone else's 2 million dollars that didnt keep the Jets from doing anything.   You'd be happy you're not trotting out Chris Hogan and Josh Malone and yes, Robby would be much more productive then them, 

Ridiculous take.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Robbie would've been a re-signing. So basically you're saying we shouldn't sign or re-sign anyone, let everyone walk after their rookie deals, and just keep hitting home runs in the draft. Great in theory but we all know not realistic--or at least not for the Jets over my lifetime.

Eh.  Douglas didn't bring Robby Anderson here in the first place.  I'm fine deferring to his judgment there.

Besides, we really don't know what it would have taken to sign him in the end.  He wanted to play for Rhule.  

I would have liked the idea to add another WR in addition to Mims and Perriman, whether that be via a draft pick and/or a cheap 1-year signing (like Demarcus Robinson) just to get more bodies here. 

But re-signing Robby Anderson was not a necessity, and there's no need to extrapolate my post to mean that I'm saying we shouldn't sign or re-sign ANYONE. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Once a guy gets to free agency, the power is all his.  He is making the decision where he wants to be, what offense he wants to play in, who he wants to play with, etc,

In Robby's case, he had a chance to reunite with his old college coach.  He was a teammate of Bridgewater for a short period during camp in 2018; don't know if that entered into his decision.  We don't know what his thought process was.  If he had little faith in Gase's offense or Darnold's development, we should not be surprised he left.

If you see a guy as part of your future, you have to try to lock him up before FA.  I get that sometimes that is not possible.  But there seems to be this narrative that we just had to match Carolina's offer, or sweeten it a little and we would have kept him.  No way of knowing if we could have.  By letting him get to FA, we are giving him the option to choose.

We should have traded him at the trade deadline, even if a 4th rounder was all we could get.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eh.  Douglas didn't bring Robby Anderson here in the first place.  I'm fine deferring to his judgment there.

Besides, we really don't know what it would have taken to sign him in the end.  He wanted to play for Rhule.  

I would have liked the idea to add another WR in addition to Mims and Perriman, whether that be via a draft pick and/or a cheap 1-year signing (like Demarcus Robinson) just to get more bodies here. 

But re-signing Robby Anderson was not a necessity, and there's no need to extrapolate my post to mean that I'm saying we shouldn't sign or re-sign ANYONE. 

No player except arguably a FQB, shutdown corner, or pass rusher is "a necessity." The thing is a team is more than the sum of its parts. Just tired of the argument that it's not the "right time" to invest in talent as if there is only one way to build a team and the correct pieces needed to be added sequentially. We aren't building a house. This team has no talent anywhere, really. It maddening.

Literally zero of this is factual, other than coming close with the probability that the overall team would still suck:

Readjust that catch % (and extra TDs) for those McCown underthrew a wide open Anderson instead of blaming an open receiver for balls that didn't even reach him, and factor in any attempts from Bryce Petty ffs since he's not even a real QB. Those things alone push it over 60% for a 2nd year UDFA -- or is it your contention that WRs typically reach their peak career level in year 2?

The Jets did not offer Anderson as much or more. First, it seems that 4/40 was not actually offered. Second, 4/40 is less than 2/20. If Anderson was living up to the contract enough to make it to years 3-4, he'd have also been able to get another deal for more per year. Also lost in this alleged offer is how much guaranteed there was.

It's ridiculous to presume, as a reasonable excuse, that he'd be injured after missing all of 2 games in his 4-year career. There's also a butterfly effect that occurs in that every injury that occurred, the way things unfolded this year, doesn't still occur if things were different. 

Nobody has tears over Anderson, but nice try after your own weeks of crying all March/April about how we must draft 2 WRs and start them both this year. Rather than tears for poor Robby, it's concern over the stupidity of not giving the young QB - who has clear issues of his own - the best WR corps possible for the 3rd year in a row out of 3 (while said QB is on a cheap rookie contract). But hey, we took that shot on Doctson and he was once a 1st rounder, too. 

Love you still ;).

However you want to spin the catch rate, it was remarkably consistent across multiple QB's over his 4 seasons here.  Just because you don't agree with the reasons WHY that was the case doesn't make it factually untrue.  

• 2016:  54 %
  • 2017:  55 %
  • 2018:  53 %
  • 2019:  54 %

We've discussed the rest of the stuff before.  Just because I wanted more WRs doesn't mean I think Douglas made a mistake by not drafting a 2nd one or letting Anderson walk.

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Bull sh*t, you would not be complaining about someone else's 2 million dollars that didnt keep the Jets from doing anything.   You'd be happy you're not trotting out Chris Hogan and Josh Malone and yes, Robby would be much more productive then them, 

Ridiculous take.

How do we know $2M would have gotten the deal done anyways?  He had a decent offer (and the ONLY offer) sitting there from the Jets, apparently, but then Rhule came along and signed him.  

What exactly is the big deal here?

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How do we know $2M would have gotten the deal done anyways?  He had a decent offer (and the ONLY offer) sitting there from the Jets, apparently, but then Rhule came along and signed him.  

What exactly is the big deal here?

I have no idea why the deal didnt get done but someone said something about being disrespected so I assumed we're talking hypotheticals but the overall point is, if they were nickel and diming him and all it took was 2/3 million dollars a year and that was the reason you didnt sign Robby Anderson.  Then IMO that's stupid.  He'd be worthy every penny right now for the evaluation of Sam Darnold.  That IMO is a pretty big deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I want to believe in Douglas as well - and indeed, really like some things he’s done and still have hope, but this is a massive oversimplification. Not to mention it’s also without merit. The “$15MM” thing was a wishful-thinking number his agent floated out there to the leauge, which Anderson was never going to get coming off a second sub-800 yard season; it was never a hard-line number from secret negotiations with the Jets. But lots of guys got less than expected because this was a relative buyer’s market FA period when guys like Conklin were supposed to fetch $18-19MM yet settled on $14MM from Cleveland (far more of a surprise than Robby Anderson topping out at $12MM guaranteed). 

This decision started not in March 2020, but in October 2019, in the days leading up to the trade deadline. Douglas let it be known he’s on the trading block. I’m fine there. But it’s like he only had a plan if he got a 2nd round pick or a 7th round pick as the offers: clearly take the former and turn down the latter. He got the in-between offer. He turned that down, too, but what he should have done is made the extension offer at that time. And if Anderson “felt disrespected” then take the pick because it’s too much to turn away to keep him just to mop up an already-lost season.

What smart GM, with zero job security questions, effectively trades away a 4th round pick to get 9 more games of a #2 WR when sitting effectively eliminated already at 1-6, without offering an extension?

The choices were to trade Anderson and take the pick, or make him an offer and keep him if he takes it; trade him if he scoffs at it. Especially when everyone could see even at that point that there was going to be next to no WR market in the upcoming FA period. Then what, draft a WR - probably not with the first pick - and gamble that this player balls out in a huge way as a rookie? That’s a low-percentage wish, not a plan. 

The top offer should have capped out at ~$12MM/year with the same amount guaranteed. What’s the big deal if the second season isn’t guaranteed anyway — offer him 2/$24 with half guaranteed, or 3/36 with the same 12 guaranteed. The Jets’ 4/40 offer is much worse/lower, since he’s only going to see the last 2-3 years of it if he could get at least that on the open market as a 2021 or 2022 FA anyway. 

He screwed this one up. No, you don’t put Anderson on this roster and suddenly all concerns (and losses) evaporate, but absent finding out RA was a major locker room problem, this was an irrational way for Douglas to handle this one. 

When it comes to re-building a team which is what Douglas is doing, does it pay to force the issue in certain areas you feel are weak in the given FA year ? I'm not saying you are advocating any of what I'm saying here I'm just putting my 2 cents in with the way this roster currently stands so keep that in mind none of this is directed at your opinions.. 

This was not a particularly great WR FA year, however, it was a strong draft. That being said Becton was still the right call rather than loading up on WR's IMHO. He still got his guy in Mims and maybe he feels next years FA market for WRs is a better bet. Having Mims, Crowder, and Perriman, with 2 good TE's Hendon Griffin who have shown they can play and a Levon Bell   (who in my opinion was being used dreadfully wrong) with the complementary use of Frank Gore while mixing in the rookie Perine Is not that bad a start on the rebuild of an offense that also saw an overhaul on the OL as well. People criticizing Douglas for not having more weapons are simply not paying attention as once again this team is dealing with an insane amount of injuries this time depleating our skill players who I think for the moment would have been just fine if healthy with a competent HC things that are basically out of the hands of Joe Douglas. Not to mention I do not think much of our starting QB either as I have made clear in many posts.

I think Douglas plan so far has been spot on especially with all the picks he accumulated next year getting rid of a loud mouth who was easily replaced by Maye who can be a fine box safety and already had a game in game 1 just as good or better than anything Adams gave us while also saving a ton of money in the process that can be spent on other more glaring needs. 

In the case of Anderson while he might mix in some good games here and there he was NOT a consistent performer and if this team was to make the playoffs with a guy like Anderson in the mix no way in hell I'm throwing him the ball over the middle with the game on the line on 4th and 5 . The players who make those type of plays transcend the regular season and are prepared to make the big play in the big games and take the big hit, Anderson was never that, never will be that and JD knows it, as do most of us here. There are so many guys in this league that fit that "pussy" mold and when you build a team you have to have the foresight not only to build a roster that can win regular season games but one that can step up in the playoffs and play tough something Anderson has no clue how to do, I mean he rarely caught a contested pass and last year when he seemed to have a few I got the "I told ya so crap" from some of his fans in here. Asking this of Anderson on a consistent regular basis is unrealistic and that's exactly what keeps Anderson from progressing to a number one guy. Perriman will make that tough catch Perriman is a better WR and in game one and part of game 2 we rarely threw him the ball. 

Right now I see 2 glaring Problems Gase and Darnold and Ive stated my case on that

• Thumb Down 2

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Sure, Mims should be better than Anderson, but we can’t keep swapping guys, you need depth at some point. You need to add WRs.   Why not Mims and Anderson and Crowder and even throw in Perriman.   It’s awesome that there is $70 million in cap space, but there is also only 34 guys under contract.   It’s deja vu for this franchise again.  Lots of cap space, but LOTS of holes.  

Most Jet fans have gotten so used to the team being so devoid of talent that they actually forget that depth at positions can actually happen. The mindset is always get rid of "B" players because they are easily replaceable, draft their replacement in the middle of the draft and then act shocked when they turn into a bust and we are in worse shape than we were the year before. Rinse and Repeat. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Most Jet fans have gotten so used to the team being so devoid of talent that they actually forget that depth at positions can actually happen. The mindset is always get rid of "B" players because they are easily replaceable, draft their replacement in the middle of the draft and then act shocked when they turn into a bust and we are in worse shape than we were the year before. Rinse and Repeat. 

I like depth too.  But it will be important in 2021, not 2020.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly the point.  There wasn't any good reason to sign anything outside of band-aids this season.  Overpaying guys just because your roster sucks is exactly what Mike Maccagnan would do.

Build thru the draft, establish a core, and then you can start signing expensive guys to multi-year deals.

Eh.  The receivers were a joke with Anderson.  He left and they downgraded and got cute trading down and using their 2nd on Mims.  If they'd signed Perriman and failed to sign Anderson I'd say okay.  They didn't though.  They waited until Anderson went to Carolina and then pivoted to their consolation prize.  Blech.  What else did they even try?  Josh Doctson?  Double blech.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

. Perriman will make that tough catch Perriman is a better WR

clown post,man

all the evidence says otherwise. it willcontinue to show otherwise as Perriman is injured and Robbo gets catches.

All the stats say he's worse b/c he is worse.

anyway...  if you are saying Robbo cant be counted on to fight the defender for a 50/50 in a tight window withthegame on the line in a aplayoff game? i'd agree. Robbo isnt an outmuscle your guy prototype#1 WR. I think the deep TD to DK this week  is a good example... DK was strong enough to hold off teh CB with his body and corral the pass, very similar to last year vs Buffalo where Robbo did NOT do that. 

Has he played with a playoff caliber QB? The only QB he ever played with who has played in the playoffs is Teddy.

Solid WR2/3. Prolly top 10 deep threat WR. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

You've posted thousands of words in this thread alone, almost all lamenting the "stupidity" of the loss of the "premiere deep threat" (as others in this thread called him) Anderson as being unacceptable.  I wouldn't call it tears.  But I would call it being pretty butthurt over the decision, tbqh.  Because you and others clearly are. 

As for your sadness over our "young QB", you might want to start thinking about a post-Darnold Jets.  He's simply not the "elite" talent so many Jets Fans bought into him being.  Not even close so far, even taking into account the other factors.  Barring a miracle, his time here is on the clock.

The further intellectual dishonesty of yet another substituting frustration with poor decision-making with personal sadness is unworthy of further response. You want to reword things people say to make it sound like your own estrous fashion of moodiness, go ahead. This is a football decision - a poor one at that - being lamented, not a personal one. Anderson seems a jerk and is barely coherent; few if any have personal affinity for him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

However you want to spin the catch rate, it was remarkably consistent across multiple QB's over his 4 seasons here.  Just because you don't agree with the reasons WHY that was the case doesn't make it factually untrue.  

• 2016:  54 %
  • 2017:  55 %
  • 2018:  53 %
  • 2019:  54 %

We've discussed the rest of the stuff before.  Just because I wanted more WRs doesn't mean I think Douglas made a mistake by not drafting a 2nd one or letting Anderson walk.

It’s not spinning. No reasonable fan suggests a catch rate with Bryce Petty, or with a QB in McCown who couldn’t reach him while he had the coverage beat by 5 yards for easy TDs, is a critique of the receiver rather than the passer.

It’s consistent because the Jets have consistently had inconsistent passers and (to say the least) flawed playcallers, right down to the current ones, which you know perfectly well. 

• Upvote 1

The difference is in presuming a $10-12MM UFA should be lacking in all these flaws, you’re waiting for the perfect person that’s not going to arrive in that range. His contract is in line with Sterling Shepard and Tyrell Williams, and less than a declining and oft-injured Emmanuel Sanders who’s just a slot receiver at that. Plus it was just 1 year of guarantees, so it was hardly the investment of past veteran bust signings like Revis or Wilkerson or Trumaine Johnson or Bell, among others.

He’s going to have down weeks as well. Better receivers than he is have them, too. But given his familiarity with the QB everyone is trying to assess without grading on a curve, familiarity with the system (not that it’s so far harming him being in a new one this year), the team’s familiarity with him as a known quantity, the lack of any outside receivers on the roster, and the crap available in 2020 FA, and the lack of major investment needed to retain him, IMO this one was easy. 

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

When it comes to re-building a team which is what Douglas is doing, does it pay to force the issue in certain areas you feel are weak in the given FA year ? I'm not saying you are advocating any of what I'm saying here I'm just putting my 2 cents in with the way this roster currently stands so keep that in mind none of this is directed at your opinions.. 

This was not a particularly great WR FA year, however, it was a strong draft. That being said Becton was still the right call rather than loading up on WR's IMHO. He still got his guy in Mims and maybe he feels next years FA market for WRs is a better bet. Having Mims, Crowder, and Perriman, with 2 good TE's Hendon Griffin who have shown they can play and a Levon Bell   (who in my opinion was being used dreadfully wrong) with the complementary use of Frank Gore while mixing in the rookie Perine Is not that bad a start on the rebuild of an offense that also saw an overhaul on the OL as well. People criticizing Douglas for not having more weapons are simply not paying attention as once again this team is dealing with an insane amount of injuries this time depleating our skill players who I think for the moment would have been just fine if healthy with a competent HC things that are basically out of the hands of Joe Douglas. Not to mention I do not think much of our starting QB either as I have made clear in many posts.

I think Douglas plan so far has been spot on especially with all the picks he accumulated next year getting rid of a loud mouth who was easily replaced by Maye who can be a fine box safety and already had a game in game 1 just as good or better than anything Adams gave us while also saving a ton of money in the process that can be spent on other more glaring needs. 

In the case of Anderson while he might mix in some good games here and there he was NOT a consistent performer and if this team was to make the playoffs with a guy like Anderson in the mix no way in hell I'm throwing him the ball over the middle with the game on the line on 4th and 5 . The players who make those type of plays transcend the regular season and are prepared to make the big play in the big games and take the big hit, Anderson was never that, never will be that and JD knows it, as do most of us here. There are so many guys in this league that fit that "pussy" mold and when you build a team you have to have the foresight not only to build a roster that can win regular season games but one that can step up in the playoffs and play tough something Anderson has no clue how to do, I mean he rarely caught a contested pass and last year when he seemed to have a few I got the "I told ya so crap" from some of his fans in here. Asking this of Anderson on a consistent regular basis is unrealistic and that's exactly what keeps Anderson from progressing to a number one guy. Perriman will make that tough catch Perriman is a better WR and in game one and part of game 2 we rarely threw him the ball. 

Right now I see 2 glaring Problems Gase and Darnold and Ive stated my case on that

Perriman has had 6 good games in his career.  Herndon had an ok rookie season and has been MIA since.  Who is their other "good" TE?

• Upvote 1

It’s not spinning. No reasonable fan suggests a catch rate with Bryce Petty, or with a QB in McCown who couldn’t reach him while he had the coverage beat by 5 yards for easy TDs, is a critique of the receiver rather than the passer.

It’s consistent because the Jets have consistently had inconsistent passers and (to say the least) flawed playcallers, right down to the current ones, which you know perfectly well. 

Imagine living in a world where catch rate actually means something.

Mike Evans catch rate his first 4 years.

These numbers sound oddly familiar.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The further intellectual dishonesty of yet another substituting frustration with poor decision-making with personal sadness is unworthy of further response.

Yet you responded anyway.   Funny, that.

You want to reword things people say to make it sound like your own estrous fashion of moodiness, go ahead. This is a football decision - a poor one at that - being lamented, not a personal one.

Like I said, I wouldn't call it tears.  But I would call it being pretty butthurt over the decision, tbqh.  Because you and others clearly are.  Maybe you're too old to know what butthurt means, who knows....

It's just sad watching people whine endlessly about the loss of backbencher-level talents that would have no effect whatsoever on the current rotten state of the franchise.

But Jets Fans are nothing if not consistent.  If they can find something to whine about, they will, especially if it involves their second-favorite pass-time:  ex-Jet obsession syndrome.  Nothing gets a Jet Fan more worked up than obsessing over players after they leave.

• Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yet you responded anyway.   Funny, that.

Like I said, I wouldn't call it tears.  But I would call it being pretty butthurt over the decision, tbqh.  Because you and others clearly are.  Maybe you're too old to know what butthurt means, who knows....

It's just sad watching people whine endlessly about the loss of backbencher-level talents that would have no effect whatsoever on the current rotten state of the franchise.

But Jets Fans are nothing if not consistent.  If they can find something to whine about, they will, especially if it involves their second-favorite pass-time:  ex-Jet obsession syndrome.  Nothing gets a Jet Fan more worked up than obsessing over players after they leave.

Robby is 4th in the NFL in rec. yards, but OK.