Robbie

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Shocking that on this message board people tend to swing to extremes.  I think the reason that this gets pumped is that we all saw the WR room as a disaster.  It was bad and many of us saw it as downgraded.  People were pushing Perriman as a budding star that would flourish here.  The utter failure at the position has caused all the Anderson supporters to crow.  I think they have a right, up to a point.

I say the above as Jeff Smith's biggest fan and someone that liked the idea of signing Perriman for potential. 

Perhaps a cautionary tale about crowing after 4 games.

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2020 at 9:23 PM, Warfish said:

Yes, he'd doing very well in Carolina so far, exceeding my expectations for him there, no question.

Yes, it's fair for us to wish "we had some magic" at WR.

No, it's not accurate to say "if we kept him, and paid him, we'd have that magic now".

Pretty simple, really.

A garbage QB has a way of making your weaponz look like garbage

On 10/8/2020 at 10:55 PM, varjet said:

JD is pursuing an Idzik-ian strategy where rather than seek wins and losses, and entertainment, he strives to make sure that each of his contracts is positive value.  So he is essentially playing a game of trying to underpay all the time, which is hard in the NFL when you usually have to overpay for FAs.  JD wins by underpaying, not by actually winning football games.

Draft picks are the best for that.  2nd contracts, the worst.  So we trade stars players for draft picks.

From what I heard, JD was willing to pay Robby $10mm/year, but he wanted options for years 3 and 4 at the same price, in case Robby became a star.  Then he underpays (which means Robby is underpaid).  Robby declined.  

But this strategy is not consistent with a goal of winning in 2020, or giving Darnold weapons to see what he is made of.  JD did make investments to protect Darnold.  When those investments get hurt, and Darnold still holds onto the ball too long, that does not work.

All things considered, this is a writeoff year for the Jets and JD.  To me, it is all about 2021 and 2022 for JD.  The Jets have to be a good, competitive team in at least 2022.  If not JD will be finding a new job. 

Sam Darnold + elite weaponz = Andy Dalton or John Kitna. 

Robby was a Macc miss -- he extended the wrong dude. Not much JD could've done at that point. Robbie was looking for a way out. No shade on him -- smart move for an ascending WR.

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I liked Robby as a Jet, but through half a season, there’s been a lot of ink spilled for a guy with as many TDs as Pierre Desir and less than Braxton Berrios.

Right now, his numbers look a lot like a glorified possession receiver. There is room in the game for those, but that is what his numbers say he is this season.

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Is this like the trash argument?  "Wait until after the game to do your talking?"  IMO those guys are pussies.  Do it on the field where you can get smacked in the mouth for it. 

Consider this the first mouth smacking?

On 9/23/2020 at 3:13 AM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Remember him? Man it's crazy seeing teddy and him Chuck it up like no big deal looking all good and sh*t. Funny how when they wore green and white they were bad but now all of a sudden they are great.

Member when Robbie was a one trick pony who was too slight to be a great receiver? Remember when he wasn't all that important and it wouldn't be worth paying him?  

Yeah I member dat

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Honest question, do you consider him a “great” receiver. 

I do.

I don't see him as a Michael Thomas or Deandre Hopkins level, but he is great at what he does. Strong hands, blazing speed, toe taps well consistently. It's all about using him correctly. Gase was more interested in publicly pointing out his shortcomings than developing him and getting him into the game plan.  It was hard with the OL being so bad, but still Gase sucks. Rhule knows exactly how to use him and it's working to great effect. 

The biggest thing of all is that he is predominantly healthy. So important in today's NFL.  When you add that all together with his having the 2nd most yardage in the league, yeah I'd say he's pretty great. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

So... Better QB... Better offense... Still only one TD in half a season?

Again, I liked Robby as a Jet.  But, maybe a couple of games was too soon to talk about what a travesty it was that he's gone.  He's yet to repeat his week 1 performance.

While we are at it, we also might want to hold the Matt Rhule coach of the year T-shirts. They are suddenly 3-5 with back-to-back games coming up against the Chiefs and Bucs. 

• Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Agree to disagree . I am vehemently opposed to starting threads about JAG wideouts.

Dude had one season sniffing 1000 yds.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

A "jag" wideout that is currently a top 5 receiver in  the league in yards and catches and has elite speed and good hands. Sure. A jag. 

Well on his way to a 1000+ yards and 100+ catches.

And Bridgewater is just a middle of the pack QB at best. Imagine him with an elite QB like mahomes.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Member when Robbie was a one trick pony who was too slight to be a great receiver? Remember when he wasn't all that important and it wouldn't be worth paying him?  

Yeah I member dat

You can tell all the posters who kept saying he could only run in a straight line fast 

• Upvote 1

A "jag" wideout that is currently a top 5 receiver in  the league in yards and catches and has elite speed and good hands. Sure. A jag. 

Well on his way to a 1000+ yards and 100+ catches.

And Bridgewater is just a middle of the pack QB at best. Imagine him with an elite QB like mahomes.
I'd look elite with Maholmes throwing to me ... robby"s stats will level and fall ... nothing against the guy .. he is what he is. Solid no. 3 .. decent 2.

• Upvote 1

On 9/23/2020 at 3:13 AM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Remember him? Man it's crazy seeing teddy and him Chuck it up like no big deal looking all good and sh*t. Funny how when they wore green and white they were bad but now all of a sudden they are great.

They were OK. They both got kicked around in the 2nd half of the game against the Falcons and then lost to go to 3-5. Better than 0-7 but still a losing team. 

6 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Agree to disagree . I am vehemently opposed to starting threads about JAG wideouts.

Dude had one season sniffing 1000 yds.

I never liked that saying to agree to disagree. lol  

We simply disagree. but whatevs 

The good news is it's ok.  I'm used to people being wrong around me.  It's kind of consistent actually. :) 

I didn't start this thread and it took me some time to even open it because it sucks to talk about our players doing well elsewhere. I hear ya but Anderson is right now proving he is not a jag. He will continue to gather yds and TD's and he's gone.  We can think what we want about him but numbers are numbers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I never liked that saying to agree to disagree. lol  
We simply disagree. but whatevs 
 The good news is it's ok.  I'm used to people being wrong around me.  It's kind of consistent actually.  
I didn't start this thread and it took me some time to even open it because it sucks to talk about our players doing well elsewhere. I hear ya but Anderson is right now proving he is not a jag. He will continue to gather yds and TD's and he's gone.  We can think what we want about him but numbers are numbers. 
My point was simply that he is vastly overrated around here... he is having a good year .. but I expect that to cease when defenses gather film on Rhule.

Robby is an average wideout ... time will tell the tale.

Sorry if my post came across as cantankerous... the unending fascination with this guy just annoys the crap out of me.

On 9/23/2020 at 3:58 AM, Ghost said:

Man I loved Anderson but according to the professionals here at JN, he’s easily replaceable because he’s a one trick pony. 

That’s a great point. Unofficially it was like 95% supported that evaluation of Robbie last year. Kind of like 99% support that Sam sucks this year . ??

Edited by DarnoldHomer

13 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yeah I member dat

Overpaying for talent should be the last concern of Jets fans right now. How about we get some talent, period, first.

We seem more concerned with Woody's finances than he does sometimes. FAs ain't lining up to come here -- start taking care of our own! We finally hit a home run in the draft (yes, I know UDFA) then he wants WR2 money and we say "naw, we'll save that money for.... being $40M under the cap again."

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

That’s a great point. Unofficially it was like 95% supported that evaluation of Robbie last year. Kind of like 99% support that Sam sucks this year . ??

Lifecycle of an opinion on JN:

1. Red flags emerge and some astute individuals raise concern about a player -- they are called "nervous nellies, knee-jerkers, impatient."
  2. Player establishes a clear record of underperformance -- it is stated that the guy is looking like a bust. They are called "trolls, fake fans" or worse.
  3. Player objectively and plainly sucks beyond dispute -- comments that the player sucks are derided with "way to state the obvious" or "that wasn't a bold call at all, it was obvious from the very beginning."
  4. Player is cut/traded for a 7th rounder -- any attempts to remind the board that you were right about a guy before almost anyone else is met with "stop beating a dead horse."
  5. Years later when the player has an OK game somewhere else, everyone who convinced themselves they knew the guy sucked from the beginning, posts threads about how they were right all along that the guy was good and Jets never should've moved on.

It is rumored -- although I have yet to have found it despite much searching -- that between steps #2 and #3 there exists a brief period (up to 2 days) where a previously unpopular decision is no longer blasted but also everyone on the board hasn't yet convinced themselves that they "knew it all along." I hope to one day confirm that this messageboard nivrana moment exists.

8 hours ago, Dunnie said:

My point was simply that he is vastly overrated around here... he is having a good year .. but I expect that to cease when defenses gather film on Rhule.

Robby is an average wideout ... time will tell the tale.

Sorry if my post came across as cantankerous... the unending fascination with this guy just annoys the crap out of me.

Naaah,  Your post was fine. I was just playing.  I didn't mean to imply anything there. 

I hear ya that Robbie is overrated by some for sure, (me lol) but he is way underrated by many as well.  The guy almost lost his career at Temple due to grades and made the decision to change that. He spent a year with tutors so he could improve his GPA and play. Then he's an UDFA on a crap team and worked hard to expand his route tree and become something in the league. He got into trouble with the law and that never happened again because he saw his fragile career slipping away. He's a very good NFL receiver. His lack of production here was very little of his fault. 

He is exactly what we want to see happen with an udfa and anyone we choose to join the Jets.  We let him go and he's now the 2nd most yardage in the league. Even after McCaffrey went down.  That may settle down. I'm not sure but speed kills and he's got that in spades. 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Overpaying for talent should be the last concern of Jets fans right now. How about we get some talent, period, first.

We seem more concerned with Woody's finances than he does sometimes. FAs ain't lining up to come here -- start taking care of our own! We finally hit a home run in the draft (yes, I know UDFA) then he wants WR2 money and we say "naw, we'll save that money for.... being $40M under the cap again."

Agreed. 

What I think happened is that Gase didn't like him. That places a value on him. This was the year where we got Gase's guys and let other go. JD went out and replaced Robbie with big tall and fast WR's and they all got hurt all the way down to the two smiths.  All the while Robbie exhibited one of his best qualities. Health. 

JD will need to learn about this stuff with the Jets too. Can't be too careful around here.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agreed. 

What I think happened is that Gase didn't like him. That places a value on him. This was the year where we got Gase's guys and let other go. JD went out and replaced Robbie with big tall and fast WR's and they all got hurt all the way down to the two smiths.  All the while Robbie exhibited one of his best qualities. Health. 

JD will need to learn about this stuff with the Jets too. Can't be too careful around here.

Yeah I don’t think JD could’ve done too much at this point. Once Rhule was going to CAR, Robbie was gone. The issue is Macc loved your play chicken to the end with some guys before extending them. Penny wise pound foolish to the core. When you’re not a garden spot for FAs you gotta extend your talent a little earlier. Make me feel the love.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah I don’t think JD could’ve done too much at this point. Once Rhule was going to CAR, Robbie was gone. The issue is Macc loved your play chicken to the end with some guys before extending them. Penny wise pound foolish to the core. When you’re not a garden spot for FAs you gotta extend your talent a little earlier. Make me feel the love.

Who has JD extended?   He is doing the same thing. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/30/2020 at 7:28 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Right now, his numbers look a lot like a glorified possession receiver. There is room in the game for those, but that is what his numbers say he is this season.

On 10/30/2020 at 7:28 AM, #27TheDominator said:

That does seem to point to him being more than a "one-trick pony" that can "only run 9 routes." 

If anything, this is validation that Robby Anderson is (or is becoming) a really well-rounded WR.  For several years here many people said he could only run things like Go and Post routes.  He's obviously turning out to be a high-end WR2 in my opinion.  Having Robby, Mims and Crowder here for 2021 would have been nice.

Look, things happen.  They don't always go as planned.  Joe D tried to save a few bucks, and swung and missed with the construction of the WR group this year.  It wasn't good last year, it's worse this year.  Trying to get younger and cheaper, drafting a WR on Day 2, etc. are exactly what we want to see but the Jets really took a lot of risks here.  A bad WR group last year lost its best player in Anderson.  Then JD banked on turning Tampa's WR3 into the Jets WR1, and he expected a late 2nd round rookie to jump in and contribute as WR2.  It was a bad plan and it hurts because even Ray Charles could see that WR was one of the top two position groups that needed help after the 2019 season.  The Chris Hogan signing this past summer was JD's version of his 2019 Ryan Kalil signing....a panic move for a starter because the group wasn't constructed well enough to sustain a key injury or two.

The Jets will head into the 2021 offseason with only Mims (seems good but still an unknown) and Crowder (for one more season) as the only key guys under contract.  Every other WR on the team is in that WR4/5 mix (Vyncint Smith, Berrios, Cager, etc.).  It still feels like the Jets need to use a very early pick on WR (late 1st, early 2nd) AND will need to attract an excellent free agent (or two).