Van Roten has got to be better than this

AFJF

On the Darnold to Berrios TD pass, Sam was forced from the pocket because the DT split a double team by Van Roten and Andrews, neither of whom slowed him down at all.

Our Tackles have looked good - well Becton has looked great and Fant OK - but the interior OL has been poor so far this year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Any reason for optimism that Cam Clark will be any better?

I think because its hard to be worse then what GVR is putting out there right now. Hes been a big disappointment. 

The bigger problem I have (and I hate to keep harping on this but its the truth) is that we can't have all 5 lineman be elite, so you have to work around problems.  The left side of the line is playing great. Let McGovern help GVR, put a TE to help Fant and run the ball - thats how you help your line.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Any reason for optimism that Cam Clark will be any better?

We don't know if he'll be better just yet, but there's certainly reason for optimism.  Showed a real mean streak in college and I don't envision him coming off the guy he's blocking until the whistle.  GVR let up a little bit in that first play and then tried to re-engage but was too late and his man tripped Gore up.  Otherwise he picks up an extra 5-7 yards.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 3

Besides Becton and a few nice blocks from Lewis this OL is pretty much as bad as last season. Everyone CLAIMED Douglas revamped the OL and we were in the free and clear to draft a WR in the draft. Absurd. This OL is full of a bunch of high risk players. They COULD get better and they could easily crash and burn. It's basically a 50/50 proposition. If I'm the NYJ OL coach I'm already looking at replacing Fant and GVR.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Besides Becton and a few nice blocks from Lewis this OL is pretty much as bad as last season. Everyone CLAIMED Douglas revamped the OL and we were in the free and clear to draft a WR in the draft. Absurd. This OL is full of a bunch of high risk players. They COULD get better and they could easily crash and burn. It's basically a 50/50 proposition. If I'm the NYJ OL coach I'm already looking at replacing Fant and GVR.

A big reason for their struggles right now is McGovern playing like trash.  He was supposed to be the "safest" guy in the group and he has flopped for the first couple weeks.  No way you can put that on Douglas.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

If this keeps up, look for Cam Clark to steal a starting job before the season is over.  Looked terrible on the All 22.

Becton has been stellar for a rookie.  Van Roten and McGovern have been poor.  Lewis has been good.  Fant has been good and bad.  In the off season, they need to add one or two interior lineman depending how Clark works out.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

The interior OL has to be one of the top priorities after the season.

Hopefully we either sign a guy like Thuney or draft someone like Wyatt Davis with the Seattle 1st rounder.

And hopefully a kid like Clark steps up to fill the other spot.

I know I’m getting old when I get excited about drafting a really good guard in Rd One

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

It's not as bad as last year. We couldn't even run plays in some games last year. I haven't seen that from this group.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

As far as I know, McGovern and Lewis were the only guys that Douglas gave more than 1 year deals to.

Lewis, Fant, and Van Roten all have multiyear deals that are basically one year plus options. Cutting all three after the season is like 4M dead for 2021. McGovern is locked in for two and he looks like the worst of the bunch and is hurt so that seems standard.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

A big reason for their struggles right now is McGovern playing like trash.  He was supposed to be the "safest" guy in the group and he has flopped for the first couple weeks.  No way you can put that on Douglas.

Why not, he signed him?

• Upvote 1

2 games in and JD's results on the OL are mixed.

Becton-home run

Lewis-good call

McGovern-ok.  Hurt.  Let's see if Andrews is better than Harrison as a backup.

GVR-not good scouting.  Maybe the hope was that Clark would take his job, but he is hurt.  There was no one else in the pipeline who can improve at G.  Winters took $2mm from the Bills.  We couldn't have paid him $2.5mm to stay?

Fant-Ok.  He costs twice as much as Brandon Shell, who took his spot in Seattle.  Shell is playing ok.

I think when it comes to IOL you need at least three capable players.  2 good players and one incapable player means the all three don't work.  

If you mix in some good players with capable players, then you make progress.  

So if GVR is terrible, the C is looking to look bad too. 

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Really stupifying that we let Jon Harrison walk too. He saved our bacon last year. 

• Upvote 1

It's their second game together. They had no pre-season. I'll give them some leeway.

Some of the mistakes in blocking were clearly more down to miscommunication. There was a time where 3 of the OL - Fant, GVR and McGovern - were blocking one rusher while right beside them Trevon Wesco was left one on one and got beaten by a DL. That's the sort of sh*t you'd hope would go away with time, especially as Becton looks like a guy you can just leave to do his thing. It's concerning how bad McGovern has looked as he's supposed to be the good one.

Edit:

Here is the play at 2:44. Just absolutely shocking awareness from McGovern. Goes out of his way to help the two offensive lineman rather than Wesco who's clearly struggling. Rusher goes straight through the space McGovern vacates. 

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

On the Darnold to Berrios TD pass, Sam was forced from the pocket because the DT split a double team by Van Roten and Andrews, neither of whom slowed him down at all.

Our Tackles have looked good - well Becton has looked great and Fant OK - but the interior OL has been poor so far this year. 

With our draft picks going forward we are going to have to get some high draft pick prospects at G and C since up the middle pressure and inside the tackle runs are both big problems for us.

• Upvote 1