Van Roten has got to be better than this

AFJF

5 hours ago, mrcoops said:

On the Darnold to Berrios TD pass, Sam was forced from the pocket because the DT split a double team by Van Roten and Andrews, neither of whom slowed him down at all.

Our Tackles have looked good - well Becton has looked great and Fant OK - but the interior OL has been poor so far this year. 

Deforest Buckner up this week....

6 hours ago, JetPotato said:

He's the guy we gave a 3 year deal to, right?

Yes, but it's still essentially a 1-year deal if we want it to be.  If we want to cut him after the season, it would only be a $250K dead cap hit, and we'd save $3.3M.

If we cut him after the 2021 season, there would be zero dead cap hit and we'd save $3.5M.

When he was signed, everyone thought the Jets would go C in the draft at some point and shift McGovern over to G - where he had played better with Denver.

They whiffed on a Center in the draft so now we've got McGovern at his lesser of two positions and another sub-average jag at Guard in Rotten

9 hours ago, Ohhthepain said:

I fully expect IOL to be the pick with our 2nd 1st round pick this year. Our first 1st round pick will hopefully be Jamar Chase ??

Not really. It depends on who is on the board.  This team needs a elite edge rusher just as badly as it needs an IOL.  No reason we can't find solid OG/C in round 2 or 3.    1st or 2nd 1st rounder needs to be the best Edge Rusher on the Board and then the Best Receiver.  

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

A big reason for their struggles right now is McGovern playing like trash.  He was supposed to be the "safest" guy in the group and he has flopped for the first couple weeks.  No way you can put that on Douglas.

Well then who are you putting it on? If you can't blame DougLAS WTH else are you going to blame? The Easter Bunny? Santa Claus?

There's a reason why Denver let McGovern go via FA. There's a reason why Seattle let Fant go via FA.

That reason is because the teams letting them go thought they could do much better via the draft or FA. EVERYONE on this site knew the very second Douglas signed these players that they were high risk players. It's no secret. The fact that this OL has flopped thus far is 100% JD's fault. 100%

11 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Well then who are you putting it on? If you can't blame DougLAS WTH else are you going to blame? The Easter Bunny? Santa Claus?

There's a reason why Denver let McGovern go via FA. There's a reason why Seattle let Fant go via FA.

That reason is because the teams letting them go thought they could do much better via the draft or FA. EVERYONE on this site knew the very second Douglas signed these players that they were high risk players. It's no secret. The fact that this OL has flopped thus far is 100% JD's fault. 100%

When a proven 27 y/o veteran goes from above average starter to struggling horribly, it's on the coaches.  McGovern didn't just forget how to play football since the end of last season.

18 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

When he was signed, everyone thought the Jets would go C in the draft at some point and shift McGovern over to G - where he had played better with Denver.

They whiffed on a Center in the draft so now we've got McGovern at his lesser of two positions and another sub-average jag at Guard in Rotten

I seem to remember during the draft that when we picked Clark, somebody on either ESPN or NFL network said that some teams projected Clark as a C.

18 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

The optimism over the Greg Van Roten signing is this preseason in a nutshell

the dude is 30, undersized, went to Penn (!) from Long Island (!!) never started at Right guard in the NFL in his life, and the Jets gave him right guard 

he's really like a backup C type, a Josh Andrews plus maybe. He's not really a guy who you want to build around

to read the articles this summer Greg Van Roten was John Hannah 

and by the way, since I'm debbie downer this morning, I've yet to see it mentioned George Fant is in the concussion protocol this week  

the Becton pick was good, Lewis is OK, the entire rest of the line needs prospects 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Really underwhelmed by the OL rebuild. I expected much better. Becton is the balls tho

In terms of individual players, Becton is the rebuild. There's stuff that happens from the bottom up as well as from the top down, though. You're not supposed to build through free agency and we didn't. McGovern and Van Roten and Fant aren't great. They're not going to be here when the Jets are good again. But the problems with the line weren't just Kalil, Winters, Shell, or even just the overall level of play. It was also age, health, athleticism, contract status, depth, and general lack of any kind of evident personnel strategy. This offseason the Jets got a lot better at a lot of those things, and other than the first rounder they used on Becton, they didn't commit any long-term resources or sacrifice any flexibility to do it. McGovern got the most real money and has been terrible at center. but with the way the line is constructed now, that's an opportunity to get better in at least two and potentially all four of the non-LT spots.

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Is that a six yard gain we're analyzing and criticizing? 

There are three different plays and we're looking at one specific player through the series of plays.  He was beaten badly on all three.  If that continues, they will have to find a replacement.

On 9/23/2020 at 8:16 AM, AFJF said:

If this keeps up, look for Cam Clark to steal a starting job before the season is over.  Looked terrible on the All 22.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

There are three different plays and we're looking at one specific player through the series of plays.  He was beaten badly on all three.  If that continues, they will have to find a replacement.

I looked at the video and its a 6 yard gain.  Thats all

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I looked at the video and its a 6 yard gain.  Thats all

It was.  The reason why it wasn't twice that was because GVR came off his block and couldn't re-engage when he tried to do so.  That allowed his guy to make the tackle with Gore having another 5-6 yards in front of him.  GVR would go on to get beaten badly on each of the next two plays, preventing the Jets from converting on the 4th and 1 that so many people are talking about.

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It was.  The reason why it wasn't twice that was because GVR came off his block and couldn't re-engage when he tried to do so.  That allowed his guy to make the tackle with Gore having another 5-6 yards in front of him.  GVR would go on to get beaten badly on each of the next two plays, preventing the Jets from converting on the 4th and 1 that so many people are talking about.

The point is we're complaining about one play in two games with the video.  And it gained 6.  

I'll take those misses on every play run play

Just now, Jet Nut said:

The point is we're complaining about one play in two games with the video.  And it gained 6.  

I'll take those misses on every play run play

Okay, so you missed the point of the thread.  

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Has Fant played well? Seems Lewis and Rotten are the culprits. 

I read Fant played well.  

Then also read hes played poorly

Read Lewis has played well

And also have read Lewis has been to blame.

Amazing how OL play is graded by all of us

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

This is what you get when you sign others teams back ups.  And yes he was mostly a back-up that  found a starting role due to injuries - but he was and is very much a back-up level talent - nothing better than what we had.

I've said it so many time - New is not better, it's just new.

The line has been better.

The scheme, skill position players, QB play and playcalling have not been better.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

The line has been better.

The scheme, skill position players, QB play and playcalling have not been better.

Outside of Becton it hasn't been better.  GVR. FANT and heck even McGovern haven't been any better than the garbage we had last year.

And I was clear then - you simply don't know what Rookies will be - so far it looks like we hit on one!

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Outside of Becton it hasn't been better.  GVR. FANT and heck even McGovern haven't been any better than the garbage we had last year.

And I was clear then - you simply don't know what Rookies will be - so far it looks like we hit on one!

And that would be wrong.

Then OL has been better across the board.  Are they great or even real good?  No, but theyre better, not worse.  

Fants not better than what we had?  ok, hes your whipping boy