Orlovsky On Jets vs Niners Tape

9 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Gase is trying to limit Darnold's mistakes.

The talent level is so bad, unless they allow Darnold improvise and risk more interceptions, the Jets are screwed anyway.

The Jets don't have the horses to compete with the current play calling philosophy.

Huge problem, we all learn from our mistakes.  If your playing scared like suggested you will never get better, in fact you will get much much worse.  Hopefully there is still time for Sam after Gase.

• Upvote 3

If the ratings on the Jets and Giants games continue to be miserable (which is even more sad because no one is in the stadium), the NFL will pick up the phone and push the Johnsons to do something.  

We have to remember that money drives everything in the NFL.  There are no real principles.  

If a team is bad and the money works, people leave it alone.  

• Sympathy 2

Don’t worry Chris Johnson’s burner account will be on shortly, to tell you how he’s wrong and Gase can‘t be judged with all the injuries.

Although I remember this being a thing last year, and in Miami.
Perhaps players not being prepared for games, both in planning and physically may lead to injury?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Gase is trying to limit Darnold's mistakes.

The talent level is so bad, unless they allow Darnold improvise and risk more interceptions, the Jets are screwed anyway.

The Jets don't have the horses to compete with the current play calling philosophy.

Um, Darold did NOT throw an interception against the Niners and yet the offense scored just 13 points. The PROBLEM is that Gase is so controlling that he won't allow a third year QB the chance to audible out of a bad call.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Gase keeping the tight ends in to block was stupid. We're dinking and dunking. Our best passing game weapons at that point are our healthy tight ends. Aren't they supposed to be Sam's security blanket?

And if he doesn't keep them in and the Niners blow-up Sam with their pass rush - the Monday morning QB's would be saying Gase was an idiot for not using extra protection. 

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And if he doesn't keep them in and the Niners blow-up Sam with their pass rush - the Monday morning QB's would be saying Gase was an idiot for not using extra protection. 

Keeping the TE's to block is a great game plan up until Bosa and Thomas go out with season ending injuries. After that, no more reason to keep them in. It's called adjusting to the game. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, varjet said:

If the ratings on the Jets and Giants games continue to be miserable (which is even more sad because no one is in the stadium), the NFL will pick up the phone and push the Johnsons to do something.  

We have to remember that money drives everything in the NFL.  There are no real principles.  

If a team is bad and the money works, people leave it alone.  

Not this year , they have a built in excuse against the Networks trying to strong arm teams - its called Covid. Good luck to major TV networks or advertisers trying to hold  the NFL's feet to the fire. Not happening this year , the ripple effect in future years will be interesting though. 

1 minute ago, JetFreak89 said:

Keeping the TE's to block is a great game plan up until Bosa and Thomas go out with season ending injuries. After that, no more reason to keep them in. It's called adjusting to the game. 

On the play following the Thomas injury Sam was sacked. Teams don't respect our wr's which gives their pass rush free reign.  While I believe the TE's should be used more -  with this ragtag bunch of wr's it may not be feasible, especially if they don't get any semblance of a run game established. 

29 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Don’t worry Chris Johnson’s burner account will be on shortly, to tell you how he’s wrong and Gase can‘t be judged with all the injuries.

Although I remember this being a thing last year, and in Miami.
Perhaps players not being prepared for games, both in planning and physically may lead to injury?

Well, here's the other thing. I was truly watching the game through the pain. Is Sam even being allowed to audible if he sees something that he doesn't like, which is essentially all of it? Honest to God, I don't recall seeing that even once.

What's making me the most angry is that we waited all of these years for our QB of a Jets fan life time. Well, here he is!  AND THEY ARE RUINING HIM. We were all afraid of this, and they are flat-out ruining him, it's official, and painfully obvious right now. So what happens, half of the panickers get what they want, Sam becomes a superstar under the right tutelage elsewhere, Gase gets two more years, and then the Jets coaching staff ruins Trevor Lawrence. Yippee.

The problem with all of this is that it's me complaining without a solution in sight. Fire Gase, hire who. Yeah, yeah, yeah, this guy, that guy, the other guy; but what if they don't want to come here even with the prospect of turning Darnold around? It's not like we've ever been through that before as a fan base (fck you, John Lynch, just because).

I was walking on air for months after the Jets drafted Sam Darnold because I thought the tide would finally turn. It could actually happen, and I had to keep pinching myself to convince myself it was real. Well, well, well, what was it that Mark Twain said? Hope is for fools. Yeah, that.

I kid around a lot as a defense mechanism for my pain, but I'm really not a fatalist. I'm just throwing up my hands here, I'm really exasperated.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Huge problem, we all learn from our mistakes.  If your playing scared like suggested you will never get better, in fact you will get much much worse.  Hopefully there is still time for Sam after Gase.

I remember when Jim Mora jr was the head coach of the Falcons when Michael Vick was drafted, and he initially tried to force him to be a pocket passer. He essentially tried to take away Vicks greatest strength, which was his mobility and athleticism.

I feel like Gase is doing something similar to Darnold. Sam is not a dink and dunk QB. He's at his best when he's on the move, and they seem to be taking that away from him. Look at the end of 2018 when the light seemed to go on for him. He was moving around a lot. They need to go back to doing that.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Also even though we did not know this before the game, Becton doesn’t need the help it seems.  He handled Bosa for 12 snaps with ease, and anyone else thrown his way.

• Upvote 1

A lot of good points being made but at the end of the day it’s still only one loss against a non division team.  The jets are still feeling themselves out as a team and it’s going to take time as well as some bad games. I don’t claim to know what goes on between gase and darnold but I do think gase is trying to put him in win situations and those are tough when so many skill players are out.

at this everyone must be patient but not waste time watching games while the weather is still nice.

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Love Dan but i didn’t need him to confirm this. It was blatantly obvious watching the game. They were terrified to drop sam back and let him throw more than 2 yards.

It’s more of an OL problem than a Sam problem. If he held the ball he would’ve been sacked a dozen times. Need planned roll-outs or move the pocket. OL just hasn’t jelled yet. Hope they do. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Gase keeping the tight ends in to block was stupid. We're dinking and dunking. Our best passing game weapons at that point are our healthy tight ends. Aren't they supposed to be Sam's security blanket?

He never uses his TE's well.  Evidence:  Mike Gesicki. 

Add that to the laundry list of things he sucks at.  

• Upvote 1