Orlovsky On Jets vs Niners Tape

1 hour ago, jetophile said:

Well, here's the other thing. I was truly watching the game through the pain. Is Sam even being allowed to audible if he sees something that he doesn't like, which is essentially all of it? Honest to God, I don't recall seeing that even once.

What's making me the most angry is that we waited all of these years for our QB of a Jets fan life time. Well, here he is!  AND THEY ARE RUINING HIM. We were all afraid of this, and they are flat-out ruining him, it's official, and painfully obvious right now. So what happens, half of the panickers get what they want, Sam becomes a superstar under the right tutelage elsewhere, Gase gets two more years, and then the Jets coaching staff ruins Trevor Lawrence. Yippee.

The problem with all of this is that it's me complaining without a solution in sight. Fire Gase, hire who. Yeah, yeah, yeah, this guy, that guy, the other guy; but what if they don't want to come here even with the prospect of turning Darnold around? It's not like we've ever been through that before as a fan base (fck you, John Lynch, just because).

I was walking on air for months after the Jets drafted Sam Darnold because I thought the tide would finally turn. It could actually happen, and I had to keep pinching myself to convince myself it was real. Well, well, well, what was it that Mark Twain said? Hope is for fools. Yeah, that.

I kid around a lot as a defense mechanism for my pain, but I'm really not a fatalist. I'm just throwing up my hands here, I'm really exasperated.

you were wrong

Additionally, Darnold missed on several uncontested throws, a microcosm of a sophomore season in which his accuracy suffered and completion percentage dipped over four full points. Against Ohio State, he displayed next-to-nothing pocket presence while being sacked eight times, the majority of which should have been avoided by better pre-snap reads or throwing the ball away.

Better yet, he nearly committed another devastating pick-six. Trying to avoid a safety, he threw the football up for grabs in the waning moments of the first half. The pass fell harmlessly to the ground, but it displayed his Jay Cutler-like disregard for ball control, a central theme for Darnold and one that cannot not be ignored when evaluating a quarterback.

Whether or not Darnold achieves success at the next level remains to be seen, but there are undoubtedly significant problems in this gunslinger’s arsenal. Plenty of teams in the top 10 need a quarterback and someone will surely bet on his moxie and accuracy to become their franchise cornerstone. It’s a losing bet however and in turn, a colossal mistake.

Jan 3, 2018, 6:30 PM

jordan Schultz

3 hours ago, jetophile said:

Agreed. Take off the handcuffs. I remember the exact moment when I soured on Herman Edwards. 10/02/05 Jets vs Ravens away. Brooks Bollinger was never going to turn into anything viable anyway, but when all is lost just fling the freaking ball all over town who cares? The flip side to that coin is play every scrub in your arsenal and you just might find a complete surprise or a diamond in the rough. I got shot down elsewhere for this sentiment, but I still stick by it to this day. 

I realize it was early in the season then just like it's early in the season now, but it was a harbinger of what was to come with no adjustments in game plan or HT or ANYTHING.

They're making Sam fearful and he's not improving in critical areas the way that he should (no kidding). The second part is surely a concern, but all the "he sucks" talk is a little skewed and isn't exactly fair. I hear all of these jackasses on talk radio yak about how much Rosen was tooled, and I say who cares about him to that. It's happening in NJ with the quarterback that we DID draft.

The song that Gase is singing that if the players execute their assignments, the current play calling will work. Darnold has parroted the same line in interviews.

What if we don't have the players on the interior of the oline  to allow the runner the yardage or give Sam time to throw? What if we don't have receivers who can separate?Gase would answer, the line will gel, it will get better.   "Players will play better" 

There is a school of NFL philosophy that says don't react, don't take drastic action if things are going down the toilet. Stick to what you believe it is your only hope at long term sustained success.  

Clearly Gase is urging the orchestra, to play on...everyone knows the titanic is unsinkable.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

you were wrong

Additionally, Darnold missed on several uncontested throws, a microcosm of a sophomore season in which his accuracy suffered and completion percentage dipped over four full points. Against Ohio State, he displayed next-to-nothing pocket presence while being sacked eight times, the majority of which should have been avoided by better pre-snap reads or throwing the ball away.

Better yet, he nearly committed another devastating pick-six. Trying to avoid a safety, he threw the football up for grabs in the waning moments of the first half. The pass fell harmlessly to the ground, but it displayed his Jay Cutler-like disregard for ball control, a central theme for Darnold and one that cannot not be ignored when evaluating a quarterback.

Whether or not Darnold achieves success at the next level remains to be seen, but there are undoubtedly significant problems in this gunslinger’s arsenal. Plenty of teams in the top 10 need a quarterback and someone will surely bet on his moxie and accuracy to become their franchise cornerstone. It’s a losing bet however and in turn, a colossal mistake.

Jan 3, 2018, 6:30 PM

jordan Schultz

Probably best to read even a single other article from this douchebag before using his analysis.

My personal favourites from just scrolling down to 2 years ago - “Why Andy Reid must go” and “Baker Mayfield is the next Russell Wilson”.

Quality content right there.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Irish Jet said:

Probably best to read even a single other article from this douchebag before using his analysis.

My personal favourites from just scrolling down to 2 years ago - “Why Andy Reid must go” and “Why Bakerr Mayfield is the next Russell Wilson”.

There's differing opinions on everything. I dont know thatguy.

Nor do I know the two tweeters who pointed out all Sams sh*tty habits and footwork. But it was all there . b4 we blew all those picks.

As of today...    we massively overdrafted him. Best case= Alex Smith....    but we still gotta wait another 3 yrs.

3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

My personal favourites from just scrolling down to 2 years ago - “Why Andy Reid must go” and “Why Bakerr Mayfield is the next Russell Wilson”.

But, what?, we hold up Or-*******-lovsky ???

This summarizes many things about Gase quite well.

People always wonder how they could have interviewed Gase and come away impressed.  Well this game plan and lack of adjustments is an indicator of how.

Conceptually, Gase understands offense.  I'm sure when he talks about it he's very knowledgeable.  On paper, he knows the "playbook" to keep a good pass rush at bay.  He knows running on 2nd and long is football 101 to stay in manageable 3rd downs.  He knows all the concepts for given situation.

He just has zero feel for what's unfolding in front of him.  Zero.

• Upvote 1