• Geno sucker punch
    • Bowles sucking
    • Gase sucking
    • Other

9 hours ago, Jet hustle said:

Honorable mention:

Victor cruz 90 yard screen td...

Giants go on miraculous sb run.

We get eliminated from playoffs.   That play was the beginning of our horrific downfall

Honestly, we stunk that year.  I remember talking to a Giants fan friend of mine the day before the game.  He thought the Jets would win but I told him "no chance.  We stink this year".  And we did.

December 5, 1993 - me and my friend had four tickets to the game that rainy , crappy Sunday . Only the two of us wanted to go . We tried to unload the other two seats in the parking lot . We sat in the upper level Section 326 . The best offer we could get was $5.00 and a bus token for both tickets . The guy who bought the seats said , " How do I get home home since you took my bus token ? " . We laughed like hell and said WHO CARES . The Jets lost 9-6 . A crappy day in the rain for another lame Jet performance . To this day , I wonder how that guy got home . 

2012 buttfumble. Worst thanksgiving ever.

Big dinner and everything at home, watching with family...high hopes, thinking the season was back on track after a win the previous week and a good game (albeit in a loss) in New England earlier that year.

That meltdown was horrific, 3 straight touchdowns to start the 2nd quarter, butt fumble returned for a TD...it wasn't comical, it was tragic. It was like watching a car crash. Just the manner of defeat...was incredibly painful. Like a gut-punch, followed by the realization that this team isn't gonna win sh*t. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why isn't the Vinny achilles getting more votes?  That team could/should have won the Super Bowl. 

Granted, the '98 team could have as well, but the "what might have been" with that '99 season is pretty haunting.  

That would be up there for me, as well. But, in hindsight, the 98 Vinny season was a classic flash in the pan season from an underachieving vet QB finally putting it all together (better version of 2015 Fitz). In other words, I think it is pretty likely that Vinny would have regressed to the mean in 1999 and probably disappointed us all. 

Having said that, we still could have won the Super Bowl in 99. 

• Upvote 1

For me I think it was the entire 2011 season.

To really break your heart you need to have hopes and expectations. Despite some of the moves that off-season I believed in Rex and thought there was a good chance Sanchez would take a leap. I thought we were a playoff team for sure.

The season was a roller coaster:

• Start 2-0 with an awesome comeback victory against the Cowboys on SNF on the 10th anniversary of 9-11 followed by kicking the Jaguars ass. Everything on schedule.
  • Lose three in a row to drop to 2-3 including a troubling loss to the Raiders, an eye opening embarrassing ass kicking by the Ravens on SNF and a loss to the Pats. Alarm bells going off.
  • Restore some semblance of faith by winning three straight to get to 5-3. Three game losing streak seems like an aberration, we're still good. 
  • SNF against the 5-3 Pats for control of the division -- keep it just close enough early but still lose decisively by double digits. This is the last time I remember being truly devastated by a Jets loss. Sick to my stomach.
  • Lose on TNF in excruciating fashion to Tim Tebow when he executes a "six minute drill" comprised of three incompletions then a scramble for 1st down on 4th down. Just a pathetic loss. I remember looking at the schedule this night (Bills, at Redskins, Chiefs, at Eagles, Giants, at Dolphins) and predicting exactly how it would play out -- win three straight to get to 8-5, collapse and lose the next three to miss the playoffs.
  • Obviously we win three straight like I predicted. It wouldn't hurt if you didn't have hope.
  • Get blown out and embarrassed by the Eagles (oh, no, it's happening.)
  • Give a little hope by going up 14-0 on the Giants only to have Victor Cruz go 99 yards spurring the Giants to the Super Bowl.
  • Embarrassing debacle in the finale with Holmes thrown out of the huddle as team completely implodes.

Cherry on the top was another Patriots/Giants Super Bowl and our incompetent GM trading for Tim Tebow (a sucker punch for anyone who had faith in Tanny. I remember seeing the rumors and saying matter-of-factly to my friends "there's no way the Jets are that stupid.")

That's the last time I was emotionally invested in the team and it was a tough season to swallow. Now I just hope for the days when the Jets are good enough to break my heart.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why isn't the Vinny achilles getting more votes?  That team could/should have won the Super Bowl. 

Granted, the '98 team could have as well, but the "what might have been" with that '99 season is pretty haunting.  

I was too young to appreciate how unique '98 was and how quickly the Parcells era would unravel. I would expect this would be higher for older fans.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, predator_05 said:

2012 buttfumble. Worst thanksgiving ever.

Big dinner and everything at home, watching with family...high hopes, thinking the season was back on track after a win the previous week and a good game (albeit in a loss) in New England earlier that year.

That meltdown was horrific, 3 straight touchdowns to start the 2nd quarter, butt fumble returned for a TD...it wasn't comical, it was tragic. It was like watching a car crash. Just the manner of defeat...was incredibly painful. Like a gut-punch, followed by the realization that this team isn't gonna win sh*t. 

The Mud Bowl was the worst for me - but I was at a big dinner in southern VT with my friend's family.  About 30 people, maybe 10 people who didn't care, 15 people who were Cheats fans, four Giant fans, and me - the Green Leper. 

Even they were silent after the third touchdown: looking at me and expecting me probably to slit my own throat. I just shook my head and walked outside for a cigarette. (Gave that up this spring, just in time for a nice stressful year.)

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That would be up there for me, as well. But, in hindsight, the 98 Vinny season was a classic flash in the pan season from an underachieving vet QB finally putting it all together (better version of 2015 Fitz). In other words, I think it is pretty likely that Vinny would have regressed to the mean in 1999 and probably disappointed us all. 

I think we would've been a legit contender but it would've been very tough.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

December 5, 1993 - me and my friend had four tickets to the game that rainy , crappy Sunday . Only the two of us wanted to go . We tried to unload the other two seats in the parking lot . We sat in the upper level Section 326 . The best offer we could get was $5.00 and a bus token for both tickets . The guy who bought the seats said , " How do I get home home since you took my bus token ? " . We laughed like hell and said WHO CARES . The Jets lost 9-6 . A crappy day in the rain for another lame Jet performance . To this day , I wonder how that guy got home . 

He didn't. They found him rummaging through a dumpster after a game two years later dressed in clothes made from old trash bags and newspapers. They took pity on him, cleaned him up, and gave him a job. His name was Rich Kotite.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Jets fans should fully embrace Vinny. He was the original "needz moar weappinz" QB.

"I wish I could tell you how Vinny Testaverde would have done with an elite offensive unit, so we could compare him to the Hall of Fame quarterbacks. I can't though, because Testaverde never came close to playing with the offensive players that those others did."

"I submit that Testaverde didn't discover some fountain of youth or manage to delay the aging process. He was just really good. And when you are really good at age 30-35, you can afford to lose a little and still be able to play in the NFL to age 40. I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Testaverde had managed to end up with an offense that had a few more good players when he was entering his late 20's. My guess is that he would be practicing his Canton speech."

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index3a5c.html?p=5449

• Sympathy 1

OK, my man, my main man, 'Other', is in the lead. At least the Jets can win at failing.  On to # . . .

3!) Johnny Johnson, given up by the Cards during the '94 draft to the Jets in order to land *GARRISON HEARST, Johnson rushes for 90 yards from scrimmage, the longest in Jets history, vs Chicago on 9/25/94 at The Old Dump. He doesn't get in. Neither do the Jets after three more consecutive tries at the EZ under Jack Trudeau. The Jets, what do they do? They lose 19-17. PAIN.

3) *GARRISON HEARST, SLOWLY I TURNED . . . 9/6/98, the Jets are in it, holding on all the way in SF, and back and forth it goes in OT, looking like it might turn into a tie. There's a minute something left, and I'm thinking OK, I'd prefer a win, but I'll take it if it goes that way, why not? Why not, get a load, BECAUSE JETS, that's why not. Fat James Farrior falls on his face and misses Hearst, and Hearst tears off a 96 yarder for a TD, THE LONGEST IN NFL OVERTIME HISTORY.  So it's not just pain, it's RECORD-SETTING OVERTIME PAIN. PAIN. PAIN. PAIN. OWWwwwwww, owwwwwwwOHMYGODPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN, PAIN! And then there's always PAIN. 

SIDENOTE OF PAIN: And what exactly happened to fat James Farrior, a/k/a Potsie, after this horrible dereliction of duty? He went on to a better than decent career in Spittsburgh, and faced the Jets when Doug Brien missed twice. PAIN.  Has a SB Ring. PAIN. He has also just been nominated to the 2020 HOF Class. PAIN. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, shevys said:

It was a model airplane that was fitted with some sort of lawnmower costume. I was 13 at the time but can still see all the commotion in my mind's eye...

I also was there.  people at first were cracking jokes saying his wife won't believe he got hit with a lawnmower and then I saw a small blip in the paper that the guy died.  Just really incredible. Very unfortunate.

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

To really break your heart you need to have hopes and expectations. Despite some of the moves that off-season I believed in Rex and thought there was a good chance Sanchez would take a leap. I thought we were a playoff team for sure.

• Start 2-0 with an awesome comeback victory against the Cowboys on SNF on the 10th anniversary of 9-11 followed by kicking the Jaguars ass. Everything on schedule.
  • Lose three in a row to drop to 2-3 including a troubling loss to the Raiders, an eye opening embarrassing ass kicking by the Ravens on SNF and a loss to the Pats. Alarm bells going off.
  • Restore some semblance of faith by winning three straight to get to 5-3. Three game losing streak seems like an aberration, we're still good. 
  • SNF against the 5-3 Pats for control of the division -- keep it just close enough early but still lose decisively by double digits. This is the last time I remember being truly devastated by a Jets loss. Sick to my stomach.
  • Lose on TNF in excruciating fashion to Tim Tebow when he executes a "six minute drill" comprised of three incompletions then a scramble for 1st down on 4th down. Just a pathetic loss. I remember looking at the schedule this night (Bills, at Redskins, Chiefs, at Eagles, Giants, at Dolphins) and predicting exactly how it would play out -- win three straight to get to 8-5, collapse and lose the next three to miss the playoffs.
  • Obviously we win three straight like I predicted. It wouldn't hurt if you didn't have hope.
  • Give a little hope by going up 14-0 on the Giants only to have Victor Cruz go 99 yards spurring the Giants to the Super Bowl.
  • Embarrassing debacle in the finale with Holmes thrown out of the huddle as team completely implodes.

Cherry on the top was another Patriots/Giants Super Bowl and our incompetent GM trading for Tim Tebow (a sucker punch for anyone who had faith in Tanny. I remember seeing the rumors and saying matter-of-factly to my friends "there's no way the Jets are that stupid.")

That's the last time I was emotionally invested in the team and it was a tough season to swallow. Now I just hope for the days when the Jets are good enough to break my heart.

I was at that game in Miami.  Worst part of this is that is not even in the top 3 of worst Jet games I have seen live:

1. AFCCG in Pitt, which I already mentioned earlier in this thread.
  2. Pennington sets NFL record with 7 fumbles in loss in KC.  Maybe it was 6 fumbles and Fiedler added the 7th in relief.
  3. Fitz throws 6 picks, also in KC

Only reason the Pennnington game is worse than the Fitz game is at least we had an awesome tailgate before the Fitz game where we met some fellow JN posters.  For the Pennington game, my son and I drove over from St Louis, after seeing the Mets lose to the Cards the night before.  2 Ls in less than 24 hours.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

I was at that game in Miami.  Worst part of this is that is not even in the top 3 of worst Jet games I have seen live:

1. AFCCG in Pitt, which I already mentioned earlier in this thread.
  2. Pennington sets NFL record with 7 fumbles in loss in KC.  Maybe it was 6 fumbles and Fiedler added the 7th in relief.
  3. Fitz throws 6 picks, also in KC

Only reason the Pennnington game is worse than the Fitz game is at least we had an awesome tailgate before the Fitz game where we met some fellow JN posters.  For the Pennington game, my son and I drove over from St Louis, after seeing the Mets lose to the Cards the night before.  2 Ls in less than 24 hours.

For worst game I've seen live I think of Week 16 of the 2000 season. Jets are playing the lowly Lions. If they win they clinch the playoffs. I'm at the game with my dad and little sister -- it's a driving rainstorm.

Jets only score of the day is a 1 yard touchdown set up by a Victor Green INT to the 1 yard line. John Hall misses two field goals including a 35 yarder as time expires to lose the game 10-7.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Ha - I remember your game because the next week, they "beat" the Deadskins 3-0. A hardcore Skins fan, a good friend, got me all psyched to watch the game at his house in the Man Cave, all the food and beverages, etc. And then we sat through a game that was so putrid, he apologized for dragging me to his house to waste three hours watching it. We were both stupified by the mutual ineptitude of those teams. Quoting Wikipedia, "the Jets did not score more than ten points in five of their last six games." The box score is just ... dull. Like the game. Nothing happened

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

For worst game I've seen live I think of Week 16 of the 2000 season. Jets are playing the lowly Lions. If they win they clinch the playoffs. I'm at the game with my dad and little sister -- it's a driving rainstorm.

Jets only score of the day is a 1 yard touchdown set up by a Victor Green INT to the 1 yard line. John Hall misses two field goals including a 35 yarder as time expires to lose the game 10-7.

That was a brutal game but the Lions were 9-7 that year so they weren't bad.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jetophile said:

OK, my man, my main man, 'Other', is in the lead. At least the Jets can win at failing.  On to # . . .

3!) Johnny Johnson, given up by the Cards during the '94 draft to the Jets in order to land *GARRISON HEARST, Johnson rushes for 90 yards from scrimmage, the longest in Jets history, vs Chicago on 9/25/94 at The Old Dump. He doesn't get in. Neither do the Jets after three more consecutive tries at the EZ under Jack Trudeau. The Jets, what do they do? They lose 19-17. PAIN.

3) *GARRISON HEARST, SLOWLY I TURNED . . . 9/6/98, the Jets are in it, holding on all the way in SF, and back and forth it goes in OT, looking like it might turn into a tie. There's a minute something left, and I'm thinking OK, I'd prefer a win, but I'll take it if it goes that way, why not? Why not, get a load, BECAUSE JETS, that's why not. Fat James Farrior falls on his face and misses Hearst, and Hearst tears off a 96 yarder for a TD, THE LONGEST IN NFL OVERTIME HISTORY.  So it's not just pain, it's RECORD-SETTING OVERTIME PAIN. PAIN. PAIN. PAIN. OWWwwwwww, owwwwwwwOHMYGODPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN, PAIN! And then there's always PAIN. 

SIDENOTE OF PAIN; And what exactly happened to fat James Farrior, a/k/a Potsie, after this horrible dereliction of duty? He went on to a better than decent career in Spittsburgh, and faced the Jets when Doug Brien missed twice. PAIN.  Has a SB Ring. PAIN. He has also just been nominated to the 2020 HOF Class. PAIN. 

Losing that game sucked but the Jets went 12-4 that year and got the 2 seed.  That game was basically meaningless.

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I was too young to appreciate how unique '98 was and how quickly the Parcells era would unravel. I would expect this would be higher for older fans.

The Parcells era started the greatest stretch of success in Jets history. From 1997-2011 they made the playoffs 6 times, won 2 division titles, made 3 AFC Championship Games and only had 3 losing seasons.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Rex's infatuation for anything that can beat his defense...  we then bring in Tebow and hire Sporano from Fins. REX was so egotistic, he felt that ANY team that could be his defense , had to be good.  Had we beaten the Giants, we are in they are out. THEY win the SB that year.  VERY frustrating. To me , that season was REX.  Very inconsistent, didn't do his job well and throws his headphones down at the end.

Ravens are laughing all the way as we hired their DC.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Losing that game sucked but the Jets went 12-4 that year and got the 2 seed.  That game was basically meaningless.

No kidding, only to blow pineapple chunks vs. Denver in the AFC Championship Game. What's your point, you trying to be right about something when I wasn't wrong about something else?

On 9/23/2020 at 6:54 PM, Skeet Ulrich said:

98 AFCCG. They would've trounced the Falcons in the SB.

Six turnovers. Curtis Martin 14 yards rushing. One of the worst days as a Jet fan I can remember.

Once I saw that ball drop like a bowling ball out of the sky from the wind... i said wow we really are cursed by existential powers beyond this Earth. 

7 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The Christmas Eve Massacre of the Giants beating us at “home” was truly the death nail in the Rex Ryan era and whatever momentum/hope we had as a franchise. 

The franchise has never recovered since.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Good recall, but no way did the Jets ever lead the Giants 14-0 in that game. Not accurate 

On 9/23/2020 at 6:48 PM, nyjunc said:

The toughest at the moment was the 1986 divisional round, just the way they lost.  Looking back we probably don't beat Denver and if we did the Giants would have killed us so it makes it less painful.

The 2 toughest losses were at Denver 1998 AFC Championship Game because we likely win the super bowl if we hold on in that game (though it wouldn't have been as easy as many think) and at Pittsburgh.  I think we were better than Pitt and just weren't ready to play in that first half.  What makes this list so much worse is where we are today, the franchise really never recovered from that loss.

I think we were one pass rusher (Hugh Douglas) away (Hugh Douglas) from being a Super Bowl (Hugh Douglas) Champ in (Hugh Douglas) 1998.

33 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

The Christmas Eve Massacre of the Giants beating us at “home” was truly the death nail in the Rex Ryan era and whatever momentum/hope we had as a franchise. 

The franchise has never recovered since.

I disagree - I feel the week before when an Eagles team that could not stop a nosebleed all season due Andy Reid's bizarre experiment of allowing OL Coach Juan Castillo employ his own version of the wide-9 defense came into our house can basically camped out on Mark Sanchez's face the entire game.  They never recovered from that epic ass beating from the 6-8 Eagles.