HOF QB Steve Young Laughs At Adam Gase's Decision To Kick Useless FG

TuscanyTile2

7 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I've been a supporter of Gase, even though he wasn't nearly my 1st choice, since he is the HC of the Jets. I'm now really having my doubts if he can do the job. It's one thing being 0-2 it's another thing when you're not in either game. Coming off last years big finish this team is a MAJOR disappointment. Steve Young is right to question Gase's calls. No guts no glory. . 

And it's yet another thing when you've lost 9 out of the 18 games you've coached here by double-digits.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Gase's decision to kick a useless FG is like Gase's decision to run a useless draw play on 3rd and long.  Oh well lost this time on to the next game/drive.

Sam drops back, 3rd and 19, waits for the WR ti get open deep, gets sakced, injured Alex Smith broken leg type sh*t...

DISCUSS

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 2

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

Sam drops back, 3rd and 19, waits for the WR ti get open deep, gets sakced, injured Alex Smith broken leg type sh*t...

DISCUSS

I don't usually agree with you but I absolutely do here. This is where the Layman don't understand what the head coach's job actually is. When we're getting beat that bad you don't put your quarterback in the crosshairs. That's the time to protect him.

It's been a rough couple of years for the Jets. There are no excuses, there are only facts. You can damn sure bet that Adam Gase and Sam Darnold are both equally frustrated.

Who's the new group of wide receivers he'll be throwing to for two hours during practice before the game this week? It's been a ridiculous stroke of bad luck and I really don't think it's anybody's fault.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

DISCUSS

There is ZERO DOUBT in my min dthat if Sam got hurt on that 3rd and way long that JN sheeples would be calling EVEN MORE for Gases head... " WHy didnt he protect poor Sam!!??" They said they were going to protect poor Sam!!"

A moronic decision made by a moronic coach, and his explanation was even worse.  Mind numbing stupidity on display.  The Johnson's need to put this man out of his misery before he further embarrass this franchise. The only sliver of hope I have that a move to dump him will come sooner rather than later is that while the Johnson's might not care about winning games, they do care about their egos, and my God, Gase is making them look like clowns.  

Gase trying to pad the offense’s numbers as much as possible to get an OC job next year.

Same as we saw Herm and Rex do at the end. Like they were trying to kill the clock/play the field position game (e.g., 4th quarter punts down multiple scores) when losing to protect their defensive stats.

The perception is bad, agreed the more damning part of this is the idea that there arent many plays on 4th and 7, it is one of the stupidest comments I've ever heard in my life.   Mr. offensive genius doesnt have a single play that can gain 7 yards?  If it's 3rd and 7, should we just start punting?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

The perception is bad, agreed the more damning part of this is the idea that there arent many plays on 4th and 7, it is one of the stupidest comments I've ever heard in my life.   Mr. offensive genius doesnt have a single play that can gain 7 yards?  If it's 3rd and 7, should we just start punting?

gase is doing what rex and bowles did - manage the scoreboard so they can justify keeping his job.  gase knows his roster sucks and likely won't win and therefore doesn't try.  he wanted to get as close to 20 points as possible to make it look respectable, like the buffalo game.  gase isn't trying to win, his players are already calling him out for it as are the media.  his playcalls are absurd as are his excuses.  cj already supported him publicly but he did that with mccagnan and then got rid of him.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

gase is doing what rex and bowles did - manage the scoreboard so they can justify keeping his job.  gase knows his roster sucks and likely won't win and therefore doesn't try.  he wanted to get as close to 20 points as possible to make it look respectable, like the buffalo game.  gase isn't trying to win, his players are already calling him out for it as are the media.  his playcalls are absurd as are his excuses.  cj already supported him publicly but he did that with mccagnan and then got rid of him.  

Again, it's not the FG.  Yeah, it's coward no balls move but whatever, that's more an optics thing than anything else and I think we all clearly know that Gase doesnt what you think about him.

Rex and Bowles were defensive coaches, not shocking they're a little more conservative and might not feel confident in a 4th and 7 situation. For a "brilliant offensive mind" to not have a single play to call to gain 7 yards, is utterly absurd.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Again, it's not the FG.  Yeah, it's coward no balls move but whatever, that's more an optics thing than anything else and I think we all clearly know that Gase doesnt what you think about him.

Rex and Bowles were defensive coaches, not shocking they're a little more conservative and might not feel confident in a 4th and 7 situation. For a "brilliant offensive mind" to not have a single play to call to gain 7 yards, is utterly absurd.

gase wants the final score to be as close as possible which means kicking a fg.  he doesn't try when he thinks he can't win.  this is why he all but punted on 3rd down last year when darnold was out with mono.

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

Please don't give him any ideas.

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

gase wants the final score to be as close as possible which means kicking a fg.  he doesn't try when he thinks he can't win.  this is why he all but punted on 3rd down last year when darnold was out with mono.

Yep. He's trying to polish the turd as much as possible. He's already thinking about his next job interview. Just like how Rex and Bowles would play ball control and field position even when down multiple scores late. To preserve their precious "defensive statistics."

12 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Gase's decision to kick a useless FG is like Gase's decision to run a useless draw play on 3rd and long.  Oh well lost this time on to the next game/drive.

Just like SF running a useless draw play on 3rd and 31?? ;-) 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

That excuse is out-the-window, though, considering how often he's lost by double-digits

50 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yep. He's trying to polish the turd as much as possible. He's already thinking about his next job interview. Just like how Rex and Bowles would play ball control and field position even when down multiple scores late. To preserve their precious "defensive statistics."

If gase tries his hardest and loses, it’s a reflection on him.  If he says the failures are due to execution and player personnel, the failures are on others.  But yeah, we’ve seen this before, bad coaches who know they’re almost gone, coaching to make the final score closer than the game actually was, rather than coaching his ass off to make a game of it.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If gase tries his hardest and loses, it’s a reflection on him.  If he says the failures are due to execution and player personnel, the failures are on others.  But yeah, we’ve seen this before, bad coaches who know they’re almost gone, coaching to make the final score closer than the game actually was, rather than coaching his ass off to make a game of it.  

In the short term... we've all worked for bosses who throw subordinates under the bus. What they don't realize is that it makes them look like ineffective managers--their boss doesn't care who messed up, the manager or Joe on the loading dock. They want it fixed! The best managers own the mistakes of their teams. Praise flows downhill, blame uphill.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

In the short term... we've all worked for bosses who throw subordinates under the bus. What they don't realize is that it makes them look like ineffective managers--their boss doesn't care who messed up, the manager or Joe on the loading dock. They want it fixed! The best managers own the mistakes of their teams. Praise flows downhill, blame uphill.

True but he’s not in it for the long haul.

IMO, gase knows he’s gone by the end of the season if not sooner.  He knows douglas is rebuilding, knows that they’re tanking this year and that there could even be a new qb to groom come next draft.  I think gase is pissed that he’s the ‘interim’ coach here, that he won’t be here when douglas actually spends on good offensive players, and he’s taking it out on the game management.  His comments suggest that the team’s failures are mostly due to the players sucking are implicating douglas.  Gase has put himself at odds with douglas because he’s pissed that he knows he’s lost the power struggle here and will be gone before douglas turns the ship around.  So instead of trying his hardest and coaching his butt off he’s mailed it in as an f-you to douglas and the johnsons.  Gase saying there’s no plays to call for 4th and 7 isn’t an indictment of darnold, it’s an indictment of douglas for leaving him with nada to work with.  Gase never wanted to develop darnold, he wanted someone like Peyton who could understand his overly complex offense.  Gase isn’t a hands-on teacher, he’s an aloof professor who only wants to deal with the few elite students who grasp his material instantly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

I mean Bowles was the same thing. Remember the punts in the Steelers game? The Jets are 30 years behind pretty much at all levels of the organization. The way they scout and evaluate, the way they call plays, it's disjointed at best.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

True but he’s not in it for the long haul.

IMO, gase knows he’s gone by the end of the season if not sooner.  He knows douglas is rebuilding, knows that they’re tanking this year and that there could even be a new qb to groom come next draft.  I think gase is pissed that he’s the ‘interim’ coach here, that he won’t be here when douglas actually spends on good offensive players, and he’s taking it out on the game management.  His comments suggest that the team’s failures are mostly due to the players sucking are implicating douglas.  Gase has put himself at odds with douglas because he’s pissed that he knows he’s lost the power struggle here and will be gone before douglas turns the ship around.  So instead of trying his hardest and coaching his butt off he’s mailed it in as an f-you to douglas and the johnsons.  Gase saying there’s no plays to call for 4th and 7 isn’t an indictment of darnold, it’s an indictment of douglas for leaving him with nada to work with.  Gase never wanted to develop darnold, he wanted someone like Peyton who could understand his overly complex offense.  Gase isn’t a hands-on teacher, he’s an aloof professor who only wants to deal with the few elite students who grasp his material instantly.

I have nothing to add. Great post.