MetLife Stadium field meets all standards and protocols ahead of 49ers-Giants

Jetsfan80

https://www.nfl.com/news/metlife-stadium-field-meets-all-standards-and-protocols-ahead-of-49ers-giants

MetLife Stadium field meets all standards and protocols ahead of 49ers-Giants

Published: Sep 24, 2020 at 01:07 PM

f6b7udz3xm3jglfakq9q.svg

Adam Maya

NFL.com Digital Content Producer

The 49ers weren't happy with the playing field at MetLife Stadium coming out of their Week 2 win over the Jets. The league took measures to ease their concerns ahead of a Week 3 bout against the Giants on the same surface.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported the turf met all applicable standards and protocols for NFL field surfaces following a Wednesday examination involving reps from the NFL, NFL Players Association, MetLife Stadium, the Giants, Jets and FieldTurf, and an independent field inspector.

That should provide solace to a San Francisco team that lost several players to injury last week. Most of them were starters, and many of them were for extended periods. Defensive end Nick Bosa suffered a torn ACL, as did reserve defensive lineman Solomon Thomas moments later. Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo played one half before being sidelined with a high-ankle sprain that will likely keep him out this week. Running backs Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman both came away with knee sprains -- the latter is expected to miss multiple weeks.

Niners coach Kyle Shanahan said afterward that players expressed immediate concern about the MetLife field being sticky. He told reporters Wednesday he'd moved on from the issue given the league's scheduled review.

The 49ers will take a second look for themselves Sunday afternoon.

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I guess the NY times can go back to conjuring up more "real" news now.  

You think that several players did not complain about the field being sticky?  And by the way, is anybody familiar with what the parameters are of a field being sticky and where the surface specifically sits on the sticky-to slippery-scale?

1 minute ago, kelticwizard said:

You think that several players did not complain about the field being sticky?  And by the way, is anybody familiar with what the parameters of a field being sticky are and where the field lies specifically on the sticky to slippery scale?

Any new turf field is going to be sticky - Shanny was just crying cause his team lost key players. If they lost a backup Lb, a ST gunner and 4th wr no one would care. 

Several key players.  They were falling like flies out there and I don't think it all was due to the Jets' famous hard hitting.  It would not surprise me if the field was near the limit of the allowable stickiness limit, whatever that may be.

I'm a Jets fan, but I thought the issue was fair to raise.