Adam Gase on Jets WR options after injuries: 'Whoever's got a pulse right now'

Jetsfan80

https://www.nfl.com/news/adam-gase-on-jets-wr-options-after-injuries-whoever-s-got-a-pulse-right-now

Adam Gase on Jets WR options after injuries: 'Whoever's got a pulse right now'

Published: Sep 24, 2020 at 12:22 PM

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

The New York Jets are one of the most banged-up teams in the NFL and are particularly decimated at the receiver position.

It's gotten to the point where coach Adam Gase is just searching for warm bodies.

"Whoever's got a pulse right now, we're ready to go," Gase said of the Jets injuries at WR, per Greg Joyce of the NY Post.

Sam Darnold's top three receivers all dealing with injury.

Jamison Crowder (hamstring) is doubtful to play this week versus the Indianapolis Colts, the coach noted Thursday. Breshad Perriman won't practice today due to an ankle injury, and Chris Hogan is limited after dealing with a rib injury.

Braxton Berrios and Josh Malone are the only other wideouts on the roster. Lawrence Cager could get the call-up from the practice squad this week with all of the issues.

It's bad enough the talent surrounding Darnold was already sub-par. Adding injuries to the equation makes the situation even worse for Gang Green.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I can take another last place season. What sucks about this particular (sure to be) last place season is that the roster is so bad that I don’t think players can develop in these circumstances, at least not optimally. An offense simply can not function with guys like Berrios and Malone starting at receiver.  

Here, here!

Just an unmitigated disaster. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

The best of the best QB's wouldn't be good in this Jets offense either the past 2-3 years.

There is a huge range of things between "good" and "Darnold." Let's see, just to name a few:

• Medicore
  • Acceptable
  • Average
  • Not bad
  • Eh
  • Meh
  • So-so
  • Passable
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Gase got to .500 last year with a monoback because we really beat Buffalo in game 1.

#TEAMSAR_I

With that logic, we really didn’t beat Buffalo game 16. We beat their glorified practice squad. Barely, I might add. They don’t hand out “We finally beat Matt Barkley” trophies, and with good reason.

The truth is we didn’t really beat Buffalo week 1. Just like if we came back to beat someone who suffered their own injuries - e.g. the Giants being reduced to a practice squad LT mid-game - it isn’t really a Jets loss even if it does taint the win a bit. 

I love how if we changed one select thing, all the good things that happened would have stayed the same and it only would have reversed the bad things. Except it doesn’t really work that way. Darnold is more than capable of chucking up picks and errant passes when 100% healthy. 

Lost in that “prolly woulda” fantasy is the likelihood that the Jets would have prolly still lost at least 2 (if not all 3) of the Falk games. Like if we lost to the pathetic, winless Bengals with Luke Falk in there for Darnold, there’s little doubt an army of excuse-makers would still be calling that a sure thing woulda-won result. 

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

With that logic, we really didn’t beat Buffalo game 16. We beat their glorified practice squad. Barely, I might add. They don’t hand out “We finally beat Matt Barkley” trophies, and with good reason.

The truth is we didn’t really beat Buffalo week 1. Just like if we came back to beat someone who suffered their own injuries - e.g. the Giants being reduced to a practice squad LT mid-game - it isn’t really a Jets loss even if it does taint the win a bit. 

I love how if we changed one select thing, all the good things that happened would have stayed the same and it only would have reversed the bad things. Except it doesn’t really work that way. Darnold is more than capable of chucking up picks and errant passes when 100% healthy. 

Lost in that “prolly woulda” fantasy is the likelihood that the Jets would have prolly still lost at least 2 (if not all 3) of the Falk games. Like if we lost to the pathetic, winless Bengals with Luke Falk in there for Darnold, there’s little doubt an army of excuse-makers would still be calling that a sure thing woulda-won result. 

av-5645.jpg

• Haha 1