Adam Gase on Jets WR options after injuries: 'Whoever's got a pulse right now'

Jetsfan80

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/adam-gase-on-jets-wr-options-after-injuries-whoever-s-got-a-pulse-right-now

Published: Sep 24, 2020 at 12:22 PM

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

The New York Jets are one of the most banged-up teams in the NFL and are particularly decimated at the receiver position.

It's gotten to the point where coach Adam Gase is just searching for warm bodies.

"Whoever's got a pulse right now, we're ready to go," Gase said of the Jets injuries at WR, per Greg Joyce of the NY Post.

Sam Darnold's top three receivers all dealing with injury.

Jamison Crowder (hamstring) is doubtful to play this week versus the Indianapolis Colts, the coach noted Thursday. Breshad Perriman won't practice today due to an ankle injury, and Chris Hogan is limited after dealing with a rib injury.

Braxton Berrios and Josh Malone are the only other wideouts on the roster. Lawrence Cager could get the call-up from the practice squad this week with all of the issues.

It's bad enough the talent surrounding Darnold was already sub-par. Adding injuries to the equation makes the situation even worse for Gang Green.

I pulled my tendon in my finger clicking on this.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jethead said:

My beef is that Perriman and Herndon were forseeably unreliable and JD did nothing to mitigate.

Pretending we didn't have a WR issue was not a winning strategy.

Oh well, he's a rookie GM. Strategery!

Using a 2nd round pick on a WR is evidence Douglas did not "pretend" we didn't have a WR issue.  It's not exactly his fault we haven't seen him yet.  

The more likely answer is the one Darnold apologists don't want to hear:  The Mims pick was not made with Darnold in mind.  Nor was the 1-year deal for Perriman.  

Just now, Jethead said:

My beef is that Perriman and Herndon were forseeably unreliable and JD did nothing to mitigate.

Pretending we didn't have a WR issue was not a winning strategy.

Oh well, he's a rookie GM. Strategery!

At the time of the draft i doubt it was contemplated that by week 3, crowder, perriman, bell, hogan, vincent smith, Jeff smith and mims would all be out, and that doctson would opt out.  Then throw in that herndon is too rusty to play after missing a year.  That’s 9 guys who can’t contribute this week.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

At the time of the draft i doubt it was contemplated that by week 3, crowder, perriman, bell, hogan, vincent smith, Jeff smith and mims would all be out, and that doctson would opt out.  Then throw in that herndon is too rusty to play after missing a year.  That’s 9 guys who can’t contribute this week.  

Let's face it JD effed up at WR. Ok, given how bad the rest of the team is it didn't cost us the Super Bowl. But, it wasn't a great job.

Deny it all you want to. The proof is right in front of your eyes.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Let's face it JD effed up at WR. Ok, given how bad the rest of the team is it didn't cost us the Super Bowl. But, it wasn't a great job.

Deny it all you want to. The proof is right in front of your eyes.

Yes because we all know a draft class can be evaluated properly 2 weeks into the season.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/adam-gase-on-jets-wr-options-after-injuries-whoever-s-got-a-pulse-right-now

Published: Sep 24, 2020 at 12:22 PM

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

The New York Jets are one of the most banged-up teams in the NFL and are particularly decimated at the receiver position.

It's gotten to the point where coach Adam Gase is just searching for warm bodies.

"Whoever's got a pulse right now, we're ready to go," Gase said of the Jets injuries at WR, per Greg Joyce of the NY Post.

Sam Darnold's top three receivers all dealing with injury.

Jamison Crowder (hamstring) is doubtful to play this week versus the Indianapolis Colts, the coach noted Thursday. Breshad Perriman won't practice today due to an ankle injury, and Chris Hogan is limited after dealing with a rib injury.

Braxton Berrios and Josh Malone are the only other wideouts on the roster. Lawrence Cager could get the call-up from the practice squad this week with all of the issues.

It's bad enough the talent surrounding Darnold was already sub-par. Adding injuries to the equation makes the situation even worse for Gang Green.

We have two receivers on the entire active roster and Cager "COULD" get a call up?  Is this front office for real?   WTF are they waiting for?  Why is he NOT already called up???  This team is truly clueless.... 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

We have two receivers on the entire active roster and Cager "COULD" get a call up?  Is this front office for real?   WTF are they waiting for?  Why is he NOT already called up???  This team is truly clueless.... 

Gotta figure Cager getting called up is a given. 

Still surprised they didn't bring in another WR earlier in the week. 

But, I wouldn't worry, I'm sure the Jets know what they are doing . . . 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Gotta figure Cager getting called up is a given. 

Still surprised they didn't bring in another WR earlier in the week. 

But, I wouldn't worry, I'm sure the Jets know what they are doing . . . 

My point is why wasn't he already called up?  Even before the Crowder injury they only had 3 healthy receivers on the active roster and they already knew Crowder was banged up.  Yeah they definitely know what they are doing... 

• Haha 1

Just now, JetBlue said:

My point is why wasn't he already called up?  Even before the Crowder injury they only had 3 healthy receivers on the active roster and they already knew Crowder was banged up.  Yeah they definitely know what they are doing... 

Yeah, I don't know. Such a frustrating organization. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Using a 2nd round pick on a WR is evidence Douglas did not "pretend" we didn't have a WR issue.  It's not exactly his fault we haven't seen him yet.  

The more likely answer is the one Darnold apologists don't want to hear:  The Mims pick was not made with Darnold in mind.  Nor was the 1-year deal for Perriman.  

Having 9 picks and using only one on serious position of need like receiver (in draft where there was a lot quality at the position), shows to me that JD did undervalue the position.   

21 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Why does it matter when he's officially called up . If he's on the practice squad he's allowed to practice which is all that  really matters. 

18 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

You are missing the point.  At least you give yourself a fighting chance to upgrade the talent at receiver in this receiver rich draft.  Depending on a bunch of JAGs like Jeff Smith, V. Smith, Berrios, Perriman etc. is a losers move.   Look at the Eagles, taking Reagor, Hightower AND Q. Watkins.  the Raiders taking Ruggs and B. Edwards, or even the Broncos with Jeudy and Hamler.    With all the picks JD was able to acquire during the draft, the fact that he only took one receiver was a mistake.  That is the simple truth of the matter. 

Those of us who believed Perriman to be a downgrade over Robbie were shouted down. Consensus was JD had a steal with him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

So I guess two games make a season and Josh Allen is the league MVP right. 

I'm pointing out how now Darnold's terrible performance is blamed on lack o'dem wippinz, when Perriman was heralded as a stud a few short months ago.

I stand by my belief that Perriman is not a good football player. Nothing is 100% but the evidence is that Perriman has terrible hands and is as fragile as Chad Pennington.

Just now, jgb said:

I'm pointing out how now Darnold's terrible performance is blamed on lack o'dem wippinz, when Perriman was heralded as a stud a few short months ago.

Let's let Perriman get back on the field before we make bold proclamations. And are you saying any  QB in the league  would fare much better with Josh Malone, Braxton Berrios and Chris Hogan as their starting wr's. 

• Upvote 2

Let's let Perriman get back on the field before we make bold proclamations. And are you saying any  QB in the league  would fare much better with Josh Malone, Braxton Berrios and Chris Hogan as their starting wr's. 

It’s not bold to predict he will not adequately replace Robbie when Perriman has one of the worst injury histories in the league—plus the bad hands and other issues. Was a pretty obvious call, actually.

As to the second point, that’s exactly what I am saying. There are QBs who would perform better than Darnold in this situation.

Just now, jgb said:

It’s not bold to predict he will not adequately replace Robbie when Perriman has one of the worst injury histories in the league—plus the bad hands and other issues. Was a pretty easy call, actually.

Actually it wasn't Robbie for the most part was a one trick pony. Perriman has more speed and runs a better route tree.  Plus to my knowledge Perriman isn't one step away from being banned from the NFL. 

Actually it wasn't Robbie for the most part was a one trick pony. Perriman has more speed and runs a better route tree.  Plus to my knowledge Perriman isn't one step away from being banned from the NFL. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/43300/what-can-ravens-learn-from-breshad-perriman-the-nfls-worst-ranked-wr

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

No, they would not. Lol.

Even the best QB in the league would look nowhere near that playing with these players. 

Except that wasn’t what he asked. He asked if any QBs would fare better than Darnold in this situation. My answer is most of the NFL’s starters would do exactly that.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Why does it matter when he's officially called up . If he's on the practice squad he's allowed to practice which is all that  really matters. 

Was he working with the first team offense?  Because, you know that does make a difference.   

56 minutes ago, jgb said:

It’s not bold to predict he will not adequately replace Robbie when Perriman has one of the worst injury histories in the league—plus the bad hands and other issues. Was a pretty obvious call, actually.

As to the second point, that’s exactly what I am saying. There are QBs who would perform better than Darnold in this situation.

I was concerned about his injury history too.  If healthy I thought he could do an adequate job...  That is why I just KNEW we would take a couple of receivers in this draft...  

48 minutes ago, jgb said:

Another JN psycho/emotional incapacity to accept reality    this guy is CLEARLY inferior to Robbo (whio incedentally had a 5 game stretch where he caught 6 TD s form a QB that threw 18 all year)

• Upvote 1