Adam Gase on Jets WR options after injuries: 'Whoever's got a pulse right now'

Jetsfan80

2 hours ago, Jethead said:

Let's face it JD effed up at WR. Ok, given how bad the rest of the team is it didn't cost us the Super Bowl. But, it wasn't a great job.

Deny it all you want to. The proof is right in front of your eyes.

The thing is, he didn't mess up.

He just didn't care.  

Wiining was not his concerned, nor was fielding a competitive team.  He saved the Almighty cap dollar and put out garbage in order to "rebuild"

He pretty much signed the bare minimum he could without looking like he was completely neglectful. 

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

So how many WRs do people think we are dressing this week? 

Looking like another day of 20 Frank Gore Carries and 50 WR screens. 

Yay. 

“There goes rookie La’Mical Perine, wow, what speed!  50, 40, 30, 20, oh!  Oh no!  He’s pulled up, he’s in pain, he’s grabbing his leg, the ball is loose, the Colts have it!”

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

“There goes rookie La’Mical Perine, wow, what speed!  50, 40, 30, 20, oh!  He’s pulled up, he’s in pain, he’s grabbing his leg, the ball is loose, the Colts have it!”

SAR I

"I dont have any plays for 4th and 7"

"We had a play for Perriman, but he got hurt, so, *crazy eyes*, *shrug*"

"My schemes are divinely perfect,  and there is no reason to change anything I have ever done or will do. Its everyone else's fault. Obviously.  Are you stupid?"

"Dowell Loggains is a very important part of this team".

"I am the Head Coach,  offensive coordinator,  AND Quarterback Coach. I am omnipotent and obviously a stable genius. I don't need anyone else!  I am not to be second guessed! Everything is perfect! Nobody else can see my tablet! Stay Away! Everything is great, you're all just to stupid to see that where I am coaching is where Football is going!"

-Adam Gase

tenor.gif.e250a768c45c6ef4faa835b7fa40dbea.gif

• Sympathy 2

Look you don't like Darnold, I get it. People are obsessed with his footwork which I think is silly because none of us really no squat about throwing in the NFL- (Marino has said he actually looks for QBs like Darnold because in the NFL you are always awkward) but whatever, I have no idea why people are all thinking we somehow have to give Darnold a huge contract. We don't. We control him for 2 years on rookie and 2 franchise years after that. Also, it should be noted that Brees was very similar in many ways to Darnold at this stage of their careers. Sam needs rhythm. Brees does too. Even to this day when Brees does not get it he can play quite average like he did Monday
I think most people want to keep him... But are not against drafting Trevor Lawrence with the number one pick if he's there and letting these guys compete. Personally I think Trevor Lawrence would beat the s*** out of Darnold in a competition.. and then Sam can be his backup for a year before we trade him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I think most people want to keep him... But are not against drafting Trevor Lawrence with the number one pick if he's there and letting these guys compete. Personally I think Trevor Lawrence would beat the s*** out of Darnold in a competition.. and then Sam can be his backup for a year before we trade him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Look if we wind up with the #1 pick worry about it then. Sam is still the 2nd youngest QB in the NFL and still has less than 2 years of experience and like zero playmakers and an idiot coach

10 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I don't know why this truth is so hard to grasp for some. Nobody would be successful with this offense and this coach. Nobody. 

Successful?  No, perhaps not outside of a select few.

Not an embarrassment every other game or so?  Yes, quite a few QB's could do that.  

It's not a "truth" if its based completely on a hypothetical.  And it assumes that there's this impossibly high bar for Darnold to clear.  There isn't.  Just be competent.  Look the part of a franchise QB rising above his circumstances to the best of his abilities.  He doesn't.   Not with any consistency, at least.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Successful?  No, perhaps not outside of a select few.

Not an embarrassment every other game or so?  Yes, quite a few QB's could do that.  

It's not a "truth" if its based completely on a hypothetical.  

Nope. Most young QB's in this league wouldn't do sh!t with the Oline and offensive "weapons" he has had to work with the past 2+ years, not to mention the awful coaching. Very hard to evaluate given these facts. 

Just now, RevisIsland610 said:

Nope. Most young QB's in this league wouldn't do sh!t with the Oline and offensive "weapons" he has had to work with the past 2+ years, not to mention the awful coaching. Very hard to evaluate given these facts. 

And yet Douglas will evaluate anyways.  Hate to tell you, but he knows Darnold doesn't have it.

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Are you going to be calling for Douglas to be fired when he takes a WR and a C in the first round next year?

Depends on how high we're picking.  A WR is fine in the unlikely event we end up outside of the top 5 or so.  If we're picking 1st, a QB is the only pick to be made there.  

I'm confident no one will be calling for Douglas to be fired anytime soon.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

And yet Douglas will evaluate anyways.  Hate to tell you, but he knows Darnold doesn't have it.

He has to as the GM. Thats his job. If he has the opportunity to take Lawrence he probably has to but that doesn't mean Darnold hasn't gotten a raw deal with the garbage that has surrounded him since he has been here. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, RevisIsland610 said:

He has to as the GM. Thats his job. If he has the opportunity to take Lawrence he probably has to but that doesn't mean Darnold hasn't gotten a raw deal with the garbage that has surrounded him since he has been here. 

It is both true that Darnold got a raw deal here AND he isn't good at being a QB.

That's the kind of stuff GM's can pick out that QB apologists simply haven't, dating back to the Sanchez and Geno Smith days.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It is both true that Darnold got a raw deal here AND he isn't good at being a QB.

That's the kind of stuff GM's can pick out that QB apologists simply haven't, dating back to the Sanchez and Geno Smith days.

If Darnold had the weapons and Oline that Sanchez had we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You were the one creating hypotheticals and then calling them "facts", not me.

Pot.  Kettle.

Sure it's just hypotheticals that he has played behind the worst Oline in the NFL during most of his career, with limited offensive weapons and terrible coaching. I made it all up. I just said it's hard to evaluate a young QB under these circumstances. 

1 minute ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Sure it's just hypotheticals that he has played behind the worst Oline in the NFL during most of his career, with limited offensive weapons and terrible coaching. I made it all up. 

The hypothetical you made up was how other QB's would fare here.  Those aren't "facts".

Unless you merely want to compare Darnold to Luke Falk, there is no basis in reality for those claims.  Darnold is decidedly better than Falk.  So that's good I suppose.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The hypothetical you made up was how other QB's would fare here.  Those aren't "facts".

Unless you merely want to compare Darnold to Luke Falk, there is no basis in reality for those claims.  Darnold is decidedly better than Falk.  So that's good I suppose.

The facts are the crap that he has been surrounded by since he has been here, and yes I believe that any other young QB would struggle if they had to deal with the same garbage. Fact is Darnold will be throwing to Malone and Berrios as his 2 top receivers. Horrible. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

The facts are the crap that he has been surrounded by since he has been here, and yes I believe that any other young QB would struggle if they had to deal with the same garbage. Fact is Darnold will be throwing to Malone and Berrios as his 2 top receivers. Horrible. 

All of that can be true.  And yet he still is probably a bad QB.  

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe he does have it, maybe not. No way to evaluate adequately. 

But also, I wouldn't blame Douglas one bit if he did want to draft his own QB on his own timeline, though. 

Look at Mark Sanchez. He had the best o-line in football at one point and had good skill players. With him, you could easily evaluate that he wasn't the guy. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Maybe he does have it, maybe not. No way to evaluate adequately. 

But also, I wouldn't blame Douglas one bit if he did want to draft his own QB on his own timeline, though. 

Enough can be evaluated independent of circumstances to make a judgment call.  That's what scouts and front offices do.  It's how they're able to pluck diamonds in the rough at FCS schools.  

We'll have 3 years of data on Darnold by the end of the season.  That will be enough to make a decision.  QB's don't get 3 mulligan seasons.  Some don't even get 1 (See:  Josh Rosen).