Is Joe Douglas tanking or is he inept?

pointman

Is Joe Douglas tanking or is he inept?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Well, is he tanking or is he as dumb as the roster of the Jets front office?

• Tanking for Trevor "Jesus in cleats" Lawrence.
    • Only knows football from what he learned on Tecmo Bowl.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

It was a joke. But it hurt your feelings so now I feel bad.

Not really, there are fans on this board who really believe that. I fully expect to be hearing this dumb narrative if we win the #1 pick this year. Bengals fans had to deal with it when they got the #1 pick and everyone was making up bullsh*t about Burrow refusing to play for the Bengals.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Not really, there are fans on this board who really believe that. I fully expect to be hearing this dumb narrative if we win the #1 pick this year. Bengals fans had to deal with it when they got the #1 pick and everyone was making up bullsh*t about Burrow refusing to play for the Bengals.

Well look, it would be the Jetsiest thing ever. That’s mostly what people are saying. Some gallows humor. But there is also > 0% chance he stays another year despite saying he is coming out.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Well look, it would be the Jetsiest thing ever. That’s mostly what people are saying. Some gallows humor. But there is also > 0% chance he stays another year despite saying he is coming out.

It's almost zero though. Besides him confirming it, he's been to the championship game twice and already won once. He's also graduating in December. The guy who's probably going to be returning is Trey Lance. Only gets to play one game this year and NDSU qbs generally don't come out early. Which is the why the Jets need to land 1 or 2, Lawrence and Fields will go back to back in the draft.

6 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Ridiculous thread. Douglas has a solid plan and 6 years to execute it. He's not tanking but no amount of FAs he could have signed would cover up the shortcomings of this roster. Hence he's playing the long game, which is correct and smart.

yes, but better free agent signing could have made the team competitive and not a laughing stock - 

And sure, he wouldn't have as much cap $$ but is he doing with all that cap money anyway?

4 hours ago, pointman said:

There is no middle ground. He marched out a garbage garbage roster for this season. Gase is garbage too and not being canned. So either Joe Douglas is tanking to get Trevor Lawrence who people claim is Jesus in cleats or, Joe Douglas is inept at his job. 

What say you? It's one or the other. Dummies need not answer the poll.

So, following your brilliant post, if JD marched out a garbage roster why does Gase need to get canned?  

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

yes, but better free agent signing could have made the team competitive and not a laughing stock - 

And sure, he wouldn't have as much cap $$ but is he doing with all that cap money anyway?

You have to make up your mind.  You go back and forth

Either Douglas is tanking by not signing players, not wanting to win or hes inept.  Which is it?

46 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You have to make up your mind.  You go back and forth

Either Douglas is tanking by not signing players, not wanting to win or hes inept.  Which is it?

I just think tanking is the wrong word. or even concept  

I don't think he's trying lose in order to get a better draft pick.  

I just think he made a decision to clean house and start over.  Winning or losing doesn't matter to him right now.

Hoarding picks, saving money - all for the future.  To me, it's clear that's his strategy.  

Letting your best players go and signing crappy players to one years deals makes it obvious to anyone paying attention.  

But this idea that he's hoping to lose so he can get the 1st pick in the draft is just silly.  Too many things have to go right (or wrong depending on how you look at it) to secure that first pick.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

So, following your brilliant post, if JD marched out a garbage roster why does Gase need to get canned?  

A GM, and a coach, don't have the same job. Sorry there, kid. I know thats tough for you to understand. 

Also, you thinking this roster isn't garbage, says enough. 

18 minutes ago, pointman said:

A GM, and a coach, don't have the same job. Sorry there, kid. I know thats tough for you to understand. 

Also, you thinking this roster isn't garbage, says enough. 

Well lets see if you can understand, guys like you dont so.

The HC should be fired because of a lack of wins.  But the roster is devoid of talent, the job of a GM.  If the GM doesnt get talent the HC to win, why are you firing the HC?

Im not serious about keeping Gase, but your reasoning isnt why.  Do YOU understand? 

43 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well lets see if you can understand, guys like you dont so.

The HC should be fired because of a lack of wins.  But the roster is devoid of talent, the job of a GM.  If the GM doesnt get talent the HC to win, why are you firing the HC?

Im not serious about keeping Gase, but your reasoning isnt why.  Do YOU understand? 

You are sincerely lost. I feel for you. 

7 hours ago, pointman said:

There is no middle ground. He marched out a garbage garbage roster for this season. Gase is garbage too and not being canned. So either Joe Douglas is tanking to get Trevor Lawrence who people claim is Jesus in cleats or, Joe Douglas is inept at his job. 

These threads get dumber and dumber. Its like this team has infected the cellular structure of the fanbase. 

I don't think JD tried to tank the season.

I think he tried to get by with a serviceable roster, make improvement, evaluate Sam and Gase, but not be a disgrace.

The injuries are partly bad luck, but they are also partly, if not mostly, Gase's program that needs to get fixed.

But given the schedule and how the team looks, I think JD will ride the tank and not try any overpriced trades, unless he can lock a player in for 2021-2.  

7 hours ago, pointman said:

You are a moron.

There are 100 Joe Douglas threads when everything can easily be said in 2 or 3 threads vs. 200 Adam Gase threads when everything can easily be said in 4 or 5 threads. If one of the Joe Douglas threads leaves the Submit Reply button at 2:00 p.m. and 2 of the Adams Gase threads leaves the Submit Reply at 3:00 p.m. , which one gives me agita faster?

This is not a subjective question. Your life depends on it as does your entire ancestral line including every pet you've ever had. Ohhhhh, and we have a new Joe Adams thread. At least someone's drunk enough to merge their names. 

The Jets ranked 31st of 32 teams in players drafted from 2015 to 2018 that are still in the NFL, according to a study by salary-cap-research website Over the Cap. Two of Maccagnan’s three second-round picks—wide receiver Devin Smith and quarterback Christian Hackenberg—washed out of the NFL by 2018, an astonishing figure considering over 90 percent of second-rounders taken since 2015 are still in the league. Perhaps realizing his bad luck, Maccagnan traded New York’s three other second-rounders to move up and draft Sam Darnold in 2018, which will be his lasting legacy with the team. 

But he nailed it w/ Sam? so far , we've gotten way way way below what we invested.

Can't even look as good as Fitz? 

7 hours ago, jetophile said:

There are 100 Joe Douglas threads when everything can easily be said in 2 or 3 threads vs. 200 Adam Gase threads when everything can easily be said in 4 or 5 threads. If one of the Joe Douglas threads leaves the Submit Reply button at 2:00 p.m. and 2 of the Adams Gase threads leaves the Submit Reply at 3:00 p.m. , which one gives me agita faster?

This is not a subjective question. Your life depends on it as does your entire ancestral line including every pet you've ever had. Ohhhhh, and we have a new Joe Adams thread. At least someone's drunk enough to merge their names. 

goonersworld.cpm

one thread per player or coach...everybody just goes to those threads.

one thread per game.

Believing that Douglas is actively tanking and using that as your justification for liking the job his done is absurd. There is no tanking in the NFL. The only “tanking” move he has made was not resigning RA... and he signed what he believed to be a better player instead. No one could have predicted that our top 5 WR would be injured or that CJ Mosley was going to opt out. This team was competitive in every game that Darnold played in last year and in theory should have been better this year. We lost RA and Jamal but we gained a new OL and Chris Herndon. That isn’t really a sound path to being worse than last year and getting the #1 pick... I mean you only tank to get the #1 pick right?

Douglas is making the same mistake that the Philadelphia front office is making- ignoring the talent around their talented QB.

13 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Douglas has had one draft/off season. Give the guy 3. He seems very competent. I haven't been more confident in a Jets GM since at least Tanny, possibly Parcells. 

cept i never had ANY confidence in Broadway Tanny ... All that guy cared about was headlines.