What other QBs are/were like Fitzpatrick?

TuscanyTile2

Jake Plummer / Sam Bradford?

I happen to really like Fitzpatrick. I enjoyed his time here especially the first year was a lot of fun. Obviously he never got us over, but I actually think he has a similar style to Sam.

He if anybody is the guy that we need backing up Sam, not Flacco!

Yeah yeah I know every few games he lays an egg and throws four or five interceptions, but you got to admit the guy is a total gamer! The rest of the time he's just running down the field diving head-first and throwing touchdowns!

I appreciated his time here he was a hell of a lot of fun to watch. I'd welcome him back with his goofy beard and big forehead anytime!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Jake Plummer / Sam Bradford?

I happen to really like Fitzpatrick. I enjoyed his time here especially the first year was a lot of fun. Obviously he never got us over, but I actually think he has a similar style to Sam.

He if anybody is the guy that we need backing up Sam, not Flacco!

Yeah yeah I know every few games he lays an egg and throws four or five interceptions, but you got to admit the guy is a total gamer! The rest of the time he's just running down the field diving head-first and throwing touchdowns!

I appreciated his time here he was a hell of a lot of fun to watch. I'd welcome him back with his goofy beard and big forehead anytime!

GM screwed up by low-balling himand doing nothing to get A BETTER QB, then caving at the last second.

He just had put up the bets year Jest have seen since 1998... and set teh Jet TD pass record.

The odds that Tua gets to play get lower... unless they are thinking to platoon....

People forget that Fitz was an ivy league dude. He has figured out the perfect recipe for longevity in the NFL as a journeyman quarterback.

the idea is you play well enough to secure the starting position for a year and actually play well into the playoffs... But knowing full well that an NFL career short typically due to injury... The next year you play s***** and get benched for a young gun that can't play as well as you. Hence you get a second chance as a starter do well enough in the first half of the season for the rest of the league to take notice, but because the team has invested in a young signal car eventually that kid takes over. Then the quarterback Stars team who has watched you play well early in the season trays for you giving up a seventh round pick

Rinse and repeat.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

He’s pretty unique. How he can look so good or bad from year to year is impressive.

Always liked him though and he’s great to watch at his best. Gave us our only bit of excitement since the title game.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm

he has more average-ok seasons than bad      qbr in 50's  (bad =below 50)

and more GOOD seasons than bad....  qbr in 60's

Tua aint starting cos dude is significantly better than he is...

the phins went thatroute lastyear... starting Rosen....    then Fitz stepped in and made them compete....

fitz beat ne when ne had homefield thru playoffs on the line...  no way in hell you put sam on that team last year and he performs anywhere near the level fitz did....

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

(A guy who isn’t really a legit starter but has started on multiple teams as a journeyman QB)

Steve DeBerg?

Josh McCown?

If he isn't a "legit starter" why has he started for soooooo many NFL teams and Coaches and GM's?

I propose a different scale:

1. Franchise QB.  Elite, great, generally stays mostly with one team till late, then retires or does a shift with a worse team in his golden seasons (Montana, Brady, Manning, Elway, etc).  Wins multiple Super Bowls, MVP's, etc.

2. Starting QB.  Good.  Does well enough to have more than one contract period with their team often.  But also generally plays for 2-3 teams overall.  May win a Super Bowl on the right team.  This is most longer term starting QB's.

3. Journeyman Starting QB.  Good enough to start, often for multiple teams, not good enough to keep long term.  Placeholder, often for younger guys till they're "ready" or used for single-or 2-season "need a veteran QB" situation.  Plays for 4-many teams in their careers, often on 1-2 year stints.  May be a failed version of 1 or 2 above, or start as 1 or 2 above then slide down to 3 after their first deal ends.  Unlikely to win a Super Bowl or even many playoff games, but could win some.  Fitzy and many others.

4. Journeyman Backup QB.  Lacks the talent to be 1, 2 or 3 above, but is good enough to keep around as a #2 because they're ok enough in fill in and spot start roles.  Generally know what they are and are not "competition" for any #1 ahead of them.  May have also once been highly regarded, and fallen from 1, 2 or 3 above down to hear at the end of the rookie deal.  Or they could always have been seen as this.  Frank Reich is an example.

5. Developmental QB.  A QB someone, somewhere, in some front office thinks can do what most QB's don't....rise UP on this list instead of falling down this list.  Also known as a GM's pet project.  Most never rise beyond the #3 role they start out in, but a few do make it up to 3 or 4 above.

5. Fringe QB.  The also-rans of the NFL.  May be a busted high draft pick, may be a late rounder who sticks around on practice squads or as a #3.  End of the day, these disposable guys don't last long, and are disposable for one another.

Fitzpatrick is clearly in the #3 category of QB.  Like McCown.  Good enough to start for multiple teams, not good enough to really be kept around for too long by any team.  The kind of QB who fills a need, is generally a good "team" guy (part of why they get so many jobs), can adapt to many systems, albeit not at a high level mostly, and who stick around for a decade or longer (sometimes much longer) with 6+ teams.  Not a bad life really.  Well paid, but doubtful they ever win anything (although it can happen in rare circumstances).

8 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Except Morrall was the 2nd player taken in the 1st rd of the 1956 draft..

10 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Morrall was much better than Fitzpatrick 

Ryan: 159G, 142ST, 33,565yds, 60.5% comp pct., 214TD, 164int. 84.8 QBR, started for 8 different teams

Earl: 255G. 102ST. 20,809yds, 51.3% comp pct, 161TD. 148int, 74.5 QBR, started for 6 different teams

Of course a bit apples and oranges due to different eras but the question is "What QB's were/are like Fitz" and Morrall came to mind. Both are guys that journeyed to many teams amid surprise they were still around, performed reasonably well at times, never stuck too long with one club and seemingly ageless, however never thought of as elite, The one argument for Earl could be that he was an all pro and MVP in '68, but with the supporting cast that he had, (fill in name of average QB) could have won that year with that team.  

58 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Ryan: 159G, 142ST, 33,565yds, 60.5% comp pct., 214TD, 164int. 84.8 QBR, started for 8 different teams

Earl: 255G. 102ST. 20,809yds, 51.3% comp pct, 161TD. 148int, 74.5 QBR, started for 6 different teams

Of course a bit apples and oranges due to different eras but the question is "What QB's were/are like Fitz" and Morrall came to mind. Both are guys that journeyed to many teams amid surprise they were still around, performed reasonably well at times, never stuck too long with one club and seemingly ageless, however never thought of as elite, The one argument for Earl could be that he was an all pro and MVP in '68, but with the supporting cast that he had, (fill in name of average QB) could have won that year with that team.  

Certainly tough to compare form different eras. Big difference was Morrell was a winner. He won more regular season games than Griese in the Dolphins perfect season of 1972. He also led the Colts to the Super Bowl in 1968 (vs Jets). The Colts were 16-2 (including post season).   Fitzpatrick has never even made the post season. IMO, I take Morrell hands down.

• Upvote 1