Gase's SOS offense

AFJF

Does anyone have access to the All-22 film of these games? We’ve got some people around here who are pretty good at breaking down film. I’d be curious about the plays being called, routes being run and separation the pass-catchers are getting, the reads/progressions/decisions being made by the QB, etc. in certain situations, notably 3rd downs. 

• Sympathy 2

20 minutes ago, jamesr said:

They seemed to be obsessed with getting the ball out of Sam's hands straight after the snap, which doesn't give plays beyond the LOS enough time to develop.

Niners DB's knew to just wait for the short throw, make the easy tackle and get off the field. We made it so easy for them.

I remember this same criticism about Shotty and Rex. They never trusted Sanchez to try to win a game. After seeing Sanchez's career after NY--it's obvious why. He should not have been trusted.

Not defending Gase here but maybe Darnold just isn't the guy we want him to be.

• Thumb Down 2

Maybe this is because the team had limited practice and they need to use games to get the timing down. No doubt the quick throws are to protect darnold.  Better receivers might be able to make a football move to get some yac.  I do think they need to use the tes more but without receivers to clear out some space it’s hard to see how they can very effective.

31 minutes ago, jgb said:

I remember this same criticism about Shotty and Rex. They never trusted Sanchez to try to win a game. After seeing Sanchez's career after NY--it's obvious why. He should not have been trusted.

Even with a good amount of evidence pointing to Darnold not being the guy, Gase has twice as much out there to definitively say he's not the one.

Darnold probably isn't the guy, but Gase is certainly not helping whatsoever. Both can be true, just a matter of which you determine to be the bigger factor. Chicken or the egg thing tbh

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Even with a good amount of evidence pointing to Darnold not being the guy, Gase has twice as much out there to definitively say he's not the one.

Darnold probably isn't the guy, but Gase is certainly not helping whatsoever. Both can be true, just a matter of which you determine to be the bigger factor. Chicken or the egg thing tbh

Yep, I agree. Seems there is a large contingent of the fan base that insists on blaming one or the other. In fact, as you correctly say, the most likely explanation is probably that neither is very good.

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Does anyone have access to the All-22 film of these games? We’ve got some people around here who are pretty good at breaking down film. I’d be curious about the plays being called, routes being run and separation the pass-catchers are getting, the reads/progressions/decisions being made by the QB, etc. in certain situations, notably 3rd downs. 

Glenn watches the All-22.

Definitely check out the breakdowns they discuss on JetNation Radio https://www.jetnation.com/ny-jets-podcast/.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Very fair point.  I just think though that Darnold has shown enough so far for me personally to believe that with a different offensive system, an NFL caliber WR room, and a coach that is willing to highlight his strengths, he is a legit franchise QB.  He's held his own IMO over the last 2 years considering he's basically had none of that so far.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Seems like the Jets offense never plays to win. They play overly conservative/not to lose. Been this way for the last 20 years, aside from maybe 1 or  2 seasons. At some point we have to let the QB throw the ball around and if he throws a few picks, so be it. 

By "never" do you mean the last two games?

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

A staple of Gase's offense is to call plays that are run short of the sticks which is why his offenses are consistently bottom 5 in the NFL.

Darnold threw 11 passes on 3rd down by my count.  The first two were at or beyond the LOS and both resulted in first downs.

His next 8 attempts on 3rd down were short of the sticks SIX TIMES despite SF being without their starting CB's or top pass rushers.  One included a 1-yard pass on 3rd and 3 that was stuffed on the spot.  WTF?

Schottenheimer disciple 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Quite possible who really knows?

Has practice secretly revealed to Gase and company that Sam sucks?

We can't find out about Darnold in live NFL games with the current Jets, low-risk offensive game plan.

I presume they feel they don't have reliable pass catchers plus the O line up the middle is still suspect so they are playing this safe game until some players come off IR.

It's the most unwatchable crappiest version of Jets football that I remember since the Coslet era.

• Upvote 1

The team constantly faces 3rd owns for the same reason short of sticks plays and a 2 yard run or so.  You can't be effective in this league when you have to have perfect 6 or 7 first down drives to score all the time, you need chunk plays to eat up yardage and just as importantly to back off a defense that starts sitting on all short plays/

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Quite possible who really knows?

Has practice secretly revealed to Gase and company that Sam sucks?

We can't find out about Darnold in live NFL games with the current Jets, low-risk offensive game plan.

I presume they feel they don't have reliable pass catchers plus the O line up the middle is still suspect so they are playing this safe game until some players come off IR.

It's the most unwatchable crappiest version of Jets football that I remember since the Coslet era.

The overall feeling about Darnold coming out of school was that he was a "gunslinger." With a gunslinger, you gotta let them play their way and accept that sometimes he'll get you in trouble but you take the bitter with the sweet. Instead, Gase is asking Darnold to play game manager... it's just not his game at all.

I'd take a 30 TD, 18 INT QB over a 15 TD, 9 INT QB in nearly every scenario except maybe on a team with an elite defense that manufactures turnovers/good field position/points on a consistent basis.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The team constantly faces 3rd owns for the same reason short of sticks plays and a 2 yard run or so.  You can't be effective in this league when you have to have perfect 6 or 7 first down drives to score all the time, you need chunk plays to eat up yardage and just as importantly to back off a defense that starts sitting on all short plays/

Look at the Saints offense over the past 5 years. You'd be surprised to see how little chunk plays they make, So yes you can run a WCO style of offense to be successful. I do agree with your point that you need to be able to back off a Defense though. I'd gladly see Sam throw a 50 yard pass on 1st down at least once in awhile even if it sails 5 yards out of bounds. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

How about trying to find out? 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, jgb said:

The overall feeling about Darnold coming out of school was that he was a "gunslinger." With a gunslinger, you gotta let them play their way and accept that sometimes he'll get you in trouble but you take the bitter with the sweet. Instead, Gase is asking Darnold to play game manager... it's just not his game at all.

I'd take a 30 TD, 18 INT QB over a 15 TD, 9 INT QB in nearly every scenario except maybe on a team with an elite defense that manufactures turnovers/good field position/points on a consistent basis.

Gase agrees to take on the extra interceptions needed to shake up the crappy offense.

The pocket breaks down, Darnold is finally let loose to rolls out of the pocket being pursued by a pass rusher chasing his next mega contract.

Darnold's scrambling in a helter-skelter mad dash toward the side line  ready to fling the pigskin to...Richie Anderson?

No it's the shorter improved version, Braxton Berrios, of the giant impressive calf muscles.

1 hour ago, Xtina said:

How about trying to find out? 

I'm with you. Open it up and see if he can elevate the scrubs around him playing his game and not Gase's. Anything better than another year of "oh, we can't evaluate him yet because Gase, OL, waponz, tides, solar storms, etc. etc."

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Shotty's O looks pretty sub par in Sea right ? Oh maybe not , maybe having wr's like Metcalf, Lockett and a RB like Carson really help an offense . It also doesn't hurt having Russell Wilson.

Bad coaches can produce with elite talent. Good coaches create something with value more than the sum of its parts.

Brian Schottenheimer is a very bad football coach.

• Upvote 1