Adam Gase responds to critical comments on Jets’ practice habits: ‘I haven’t necessarily felt that’

JustInFudge

Multiple players talked about it, one of them fresh off a plane from Seattle where they know a thing or two about winning.  What does Adam Gase do?  Blows it off and shows no accountability.  If he excels in an area, this is it.  I literally played for pop-warner coaches that were better leaders than this guy.

Tyler Calvaruso
Thu, September 24, 2020, 10:15 AM EDT

Adam Gase is not in agreement with the recent criticisms that have been offered about the Jets’ practice habits.

Following New York’s 31-13 loss to the 49ers in Week 2, Bradley McDougald said the Jets have been struggling in practice. Avery Williamson reciprocated those thoughts while appearing on his weekly WFAN guest spot with Joe Beningo and Evan Roberts on Tuesday.

“I definitely can agree with [McDougald] at times; sometimes in practice, guys are missing tackles or we’re not doing things right, we haven’t been as crisp as we should be at times,” Williamson said. “Or starting fast – he’s definitely correct that at times, we don’t start fast at practice. We haven’t the last two weeks, but that’s something we have to fix ourselves, because you can’t come out sluggish in games and expect to win. It’s tough to recover when a team you’re playing is that good.”

On Wednesday, Gase told reporters Williamson texted him to clarify his comments and that he felt they were not being reported the way he meant them, per the New York Post’s Brian Costello. Gase responded to the comments, saying that players can voice their concerns during the week if they have any.

“Nobody said anything during the week. I felt like we had really good tempo to practice,” Gase said. “Sometimes, an individual guy, if he wants to change something, I mean…we talk about it every week, it’s not like it’s not an open forum. If somebody doesn’t like the way something’s going, we can easily speak up.

“If that’s the feeling they have, we have a chance to ramp it up and make sure we’re doing what we need to do in individuals and pick up the tempo. I haven’t necessarily felt that.”

New York is off to a poor start this season, but there is still time for the Jets to fix things and put a winning product on the field as they did at the end of last season. Digging out of an 0-2 hole is tough, but it’s not an impossible task — even for a team that has looked out of sorts.

Whether it be changing practice habits or making tweaks to their routine, the Jets still have the opportunity to flip the script before it’s too late. At the end of the day, it comes down to the players working with the coaching staff hand-in-hand to make that happen.

“We’re in this together,” McDougald said. “Nobody’s coming in to save us…right now, people are probably looking at us like, ‘Oh we got the Jets this week. I’m going to get my numbers up.’ Until we can stop other teams from thinking like that or we go out and punch somebody in the mouth and we make them deal with us four quarters at a time, none of it matters.”

10 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Have any of you geniuses bothered to actually listen to what McDougald and Avery said? McDougald specifically as talking about not putting together a “dominating” practice yet. Nothing to do with effort, but rather performance. If you don’t play well in practice you won’t play well in a game. 

Hi genis - I heard them, they talked about "not starting fast", "missing tackles", "missing assignments", "slow practices", "havent been crisp"

These thingies they were talking about all have to do with effort and accountability and leadership.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

Hi genis - I heard them, they talked about "not starting fast", "missing tackles", "missing assignments", "slow practices", "havent been crisp"

These thingies they were talking about all have to do with effort and accountability and leadership.

Disagree, you can have good effort and perform poorly. 

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Have any of you geniuses bothered to actually listen to what McDougald and Avery said? McDougald specifically was talking about not putting together a “dominating” practice yet. Nothing to do with effort, but rather performance. If you don’t play well in practice you won’t play well in a game. 

Thank goodness you cleared that up. I thought the Jets looked unprepared, they just aren’t dominant 

phew

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I raised this in another thread, and I'll ask it again......"where the f**k are the captains? They have more to do on this team than go out for a coin toss. Stop the damn practice and get into these guys faces.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Seahawks are known for their intense practices and intra-team competition.

Big change for Macdougald.  Bowles may have been worse.  

Funny when Carrol was the Jets HC they called him country club Pete and fans complained he took his team bowling or to a movie. 

It's funny how often we get into the "how the sausage is made" discussions here, as if any of us really know.

All we can truly know is the product they put on the field on Sundays (and select Mondays and Thursdays).

That product has been atrocious the first two weeks of the 2020 season.

I don't care about varying beliefs on the quality of a good practice.  I care about being the laughingstock of the NFL.

STFU Jets, and fix it.  Stop talking about it, and fix it.

• Upvote 3

Why don't they ask the GENIUS ADAM GASE why he refuses to run the ball behind Mekhi Becton the most dominating presence on the OL until the defense stops them consistently???

Madness....

Isn't he evaluating what is happening in games and in practices?

Adam Gase refuses to change his GAME PLAN.....

Reality be Dammed!

Blame Darnold  all you want, but it is stupidity like this, obvious crap that says even after a mere 2 Games...

Gase shouldn't be the HC of the New York Jets!

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Why don't they ask the GENIUS ADAM GASE why he refuses to run behind Mekhi Becton the most dominating presence on the OL???

Madness....

Isn't he evaluating what is happening in games and in practices?

Adam Gase refuses to change his GAME PLAN.....

Reality be Dammed!

Blame Darnold  all you want, but it is stupidity like this, obvious crap that says even after a mere 2 Games...

Gase shouldn't be the HC of the New York Jets!

Why - because Jet fans often want to see or exaggerate things whether good or bad. Becton has been good , but those here or in the media want to make it sound like he's opening 10 yard holes on every play. Even the play where Bosa got hurt , they were saying what a great job he did - while it was Wesco with the block . Again don't take me wrong I love the Becton pick and he's played well. But enough with everyhing being blown out of proportion to blame Gase. 

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Why - because Jet fans often want to see or exaggerate things whether good or bad. Becton has been good , but those here or in the media want to make it sound like he's opening 10 yard holes on every play. Even the play where Bosa got hurt , they were saying what a great job he did - while it was Wesco with the block . Again don't take me wrong I love the Becton pick and he's played well. But enough with everyhing being blown out of proportion to blame Gase. 

Ummmm I strongly disagree it has nothing to do with our opinions out here, it has to do with the tape.  The actually video tape.  Argue the fact with PFF and Baldy and your our lying eyes, but it isn't exageration!

What a joke!

We can barely put up hogh school numbers and you defending what is happening out there!

You think that Baldy who lambasted Sam Darnold for playing like a clown is making up the fact that Becton is monster out there and the Jets should be running behind Becton?

Come on man..

Why would he do that?

Cause he is a secret Jets Fan?

No he is not... Indeed he said he doesn't even want to watch the Jets games!

No perhaps Baldy and others like PFF high grades sees something that many others see that Becton is crushing it and that you should do the obvious instead of the clever here and gain yards, put some points up and win some games!

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ummmm I strongly disagree it has nothing to do with our opinions out here, it has to do with the tape.  The actually video tape.  Argue the fact with PFF and Baldy and your our lying eyes, but it isn't exageration!

What a joke!

We can barely put up hogh school numbers and you defending what is happening out there!

You think that Baldy who lambasted Sam Darnold for playing like a clown is making up the fact that Becton is monster out there and the Jets should be running behind Becton?

Come on man..

Why would he do that?

Cause he is a secret Jets Fan?

No he is not... Indeed he said he doesn't even want to watch the Jets games!

No perhaps Baldy and others like PFF high grades sees something that many others see that Becton is crushing it and that you should do the obvious instead of the clever here and gain yards, put some points up and win some games!

Please, you can cherry pick plays out of any game film to make a player look good or bad. Becton is a beast - I agree. It doesn't mean the Jets can simply run every play behind him and be successful. Don't you think opposing coaches are also looking at film and stacking the LOS at Becton's side. You can pick 5 or 6 throws from Darnold a game and say wow he is great , likewise 5 or 6 throws and say wow he sucks.  I'm not arguing whether the player is bad or good its buying into media hype bad or good to fit an agenda. And right now the agenda is Gase is blamed for everything outside of causing covid-19 and acquitting  the Louisville Cops. 

• Upvote 1