Crowder & Perriman officially out

Doggin94it

1 hour ago, Mark78 said:

It’s blatantly obvious that Douglas doesn’t mind losing every game this year.  He is looking to the future and does not give a damn about winning anything this year

Honestly, that's the way he should have approached it.  He has a 6 year deal and he shouldn't waste any time.  Bite the bullet your first year and then start building up after that.  We're loaded up with picks and we have a GM that isn't afraid to trade down to acquire more picks.  This situation can turn pretty quickly.  It just sucks we have to "wait til next year" before we can hope to see results.  But it's probably the right approach.  GMs who try to "win now while also trying to set up for the future" end up failing at both and, before you know it, another 3-5 years have passed.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Week 5 is the earliest

What am I missing from the explanation below? Or are you saying he won't be ready to play for two weeks after being returned?

Injured reserve

COVID-19 rule: In 2020, a player going on injured reserve is allowed to return after missing only three weeks, and teams may return an unlimited number of players from injured reserve throughout the year. In a normal year, a player can't return from injured reserve unless he has missed at least six weeks' worth of practice and eight weeks' worth of games, and teams are limited to two players per year that they can return from injured reserve.

This year, a player on injured reserve can return to practice after three weeks. Once a team activates a player from injured reserve, it has 21 days to return him to the active roster. Reserve/COVID-19 is separate than injured reserve. Players on that list may return whenever they clear the testing protocol.

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

What am I missing from the explanation below? Or are you saying he won't be ready to play for two weeks after being returned?

Injured reserve

COVID-19 rule: In 2020, a player going on injured reserve is allowed to return after missing only three weeks, and teams may return an unlimited number of players from injured reserve throughout the year. In a normal year, a player can't return from injured reserve unless he has missed at least six weeks' worth of practice and eight weeks' worth of games, and teams are limited to two players per year that they can return from injured reserve.

This year, a player on injured reserve can return to practice after three weeks. Once a team activates a player from injured reserve, it has 21 days to return him to the active roster. Reserve/COVID-19 is separate than injured reserve. Players on that list may return whenever they clear the testing protocol.

Mims did not go on IR until after week 1.  He was inactive and did not play week 1, but went on IR a couple of days after the game.  He is out two more games because of the timing.

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

FoolishPowerfulAtlanticspadefish-size_re

2 games in 4 days.  Forfeit.  We’re going to be 0-4 anyway, might as well get 21 days off and not get anyone else injured.

SAR I

If we start 0-4, we're very like going to be 0-5 because Arizona is tough this year.  We'd better beat the Chargers (in LA) to go 1-5 because I don't see how we beat Buffalo, @KC, or the Pats.  That means 1-8 or 1-9 is very realistic.  That would mean so would the #1 overall pick.

image.png.e1e11173d23648b7fa7f515b8b699e16.png

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we start 0-4, we're very like going to be 0-5 because Arizona is tough this year.  We'd better beat the Chargers (in LA) to go 1-5 because I don't see how we beat Buffalo, @KC, or the Pats.  That means 1-8 or 1-9 is very realistic.  That would mean so would the #1 overall pick.

image.png.e1e11173d23648b7fa7f515b8b699e16.png

Chargers defense is pretty loaded. I doubt Gase is putting up more than 10 points against that D 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

FoolishPowerfulAtlanticspadefish-size_re

2 games in 4 days.  Forfeit.  We’re going to be 0-4 anyway, might as well get 21 days off and not get anyone else injured.

SAR I

I was thinking earlier they should just forfeit the next 2, fire Gase now, and give Bobcat Cooter a couple weeks to install the JimBob Route Trees®

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Pac said:

I was thinking earlier they should just forfeit the next 2, fire Gase now, and give Bobcat Cooter a couple weeks to install the JimBob Route Trees®

If we take 21 days away from other NFL teams and are back to full health on O we can compete Weeks 5-9. If we start getting our OL or QB injured playing meaningless games vs Indy and Denver, forget it, we’ll get Mims, Perriman, and Crowder back and have to suffer a playoff run with Joe Flacco. 

Just forfeit this week and reset.  The country could use next Thursday off anyway.  

SAR I

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

If we take 21 days away from other NFL teams and are back to full health on O we can compete Weeks 5-9. If we start getting our OL or QB injured playing meaningless games vs Indy and Denver, forget it, we’ll get Mims, Perriman, and Crowder back and have to suffer a playoff run with Joe Flacco. 

Just forfeit this week and reset.  The country could use next Thursday off anyway.  

SAR I

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.  I don't speak bullsh*t.

6 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.  I don't speak bullsh*t.

SAR lives in a parallel universe where every Jets loss is actually a mental win. Ask him. He won't even deny that he believes the Jets beat the Bills week 1 last year.

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

No.  Absolutely not.

You do not sell vital long-term assets for tomorrow for short-term expensive "fixes" today that won't make ANY difference to our season.

Darnold can and will be evaluated on how HE plays.  The weak WR group will assuredly be factored into that evaluation.  But if Darnold overthrows an open WR by 10 feet, or never sees him in the first place, that will be part of his evaluation, rightfully so.

Contrary to popular opinion, you get a better evaluation of a man in hard times than you do in perfect wonderful times.

Great support can mask alot of problems, just ask Mark Sanchez, who was never as good as he looked when he had great players at most positions around him.

Not for value this season, bur Robinson or Schuster have years in front of them and would be valuable pieces of a rebuild. And, both have proven they can actually play at this level. Any draft pick is still part lottery ticket. Look what cooper did for Dallas.

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

No.  Absolutely not.

You do not sell vital long-term assets for tomorrow for short-term expensive "fixes" today that won't make ANY difference to our season.

Darnold can and will be evaluated on how HE plays.  The weak WR group will assuredly be factored into that evaluation.  But if Darnold overthrows an open WR by 10 feet, or never sees him in the first place, that will be part of his evaluation, rightfully so.

Contrary to popular opinion, you get a better evaluation of a man in hard times than you do in perfect wonderful times.

Great support can mask alot of problems, just ask Mark Sanchez, who was never as good as he looked when he had great players at most positions around him.

I agree totally on everything you just said. I will add that it is increasingly more complex judging qb play when there is consistently no separation.  Also it appears the backup center and right tackle are playing this week as well and if we cannot run it is even more difficult to judge a passing game when the defense knows you have to pass.  To paraphrase John Lennon it like trying to shovel wind with a pitchfork. 

3 minutes ago, ageingjetfan said:

I agree totally on everything you just said. I will add that it is increasingly more complex judging qb play when there is consistently no separation.  Also it appears the backup center and right tackle are playing this week as well and if we cannot run it is even more difficult to judge a passing game when the defense knows you have to pass.  To paraphrase John Lennon it like trying to shovel wind with a pitchfork. 

Welp, JD doesn't have the luxury of messageboard posters to throw his hands up and say "not enough data to evaluate" he's just gonna pull up his big boy pants and make do with the data he has. He has a $25M decision to make about Sam in a few short months. There are no deferrals. It's coming.

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

Not for value this season, bur Robinson or Schuster have years in front of them and would be valuable pieces of a rebuild. And, both have proven they can actually play at this level. Any draft pick is still part lottery ticket. Look what cooper did for Dallas.

Why would a champion-level Franchise like the Steelers want to dump a guy like, say, Schuster then, if he's such a valuable asset?  Why wouldn't they be trying to resign him?  Why would they, far closer to competition than us this year (they're 2-0), want to trade their current #2 WR to us now?  Ask yourself why they would value the picks more than the player, if they were actually willing.

And what makes you think Schuster wants to leave Pittsburgh and come....here, for any long term period?  To this rathole of a failed franchise consistently at the bottom of the NFL in passing, with a Head Coach who looks to be on his way out?  It would take ALOT of extra money to make him want to stay here, not just a little more.

And of note, Schuster is not practicing currently.  Apparently he's injured too.  Maybe he IS the right fit for us after all....

Nope.  Too many challenges and too much cost to make a trade today.  We have a TON of draft capital.  Sit on it, and spend it in the drafts, rebuild the right way.  Stop looking for the "quick fix", it never works for loser teams like us, the Browns or the WFT.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why would a champion-level Franchise like the Steelers want to dump a guy like, say, Schuster then, if he's such a valuable asset?  Why wouldn't they be trying to resign him?  Why would they, fare closer to competition than us, want to trade their #2 WR to us now?  Ask yourself why they would value the picks more than the player, if they were willing.

And what makes you think Schuster wants to leave Pittsburgh and come....here, for any long term period?  To this rathole of a failed franchise consistently at the bottom of the NFL in passing, with a Head Coach who looks to be on his way out?  It would take ALOT of extra money to make him want to stay here, not just a little more.

And of note, Schuster is not practicing currently.  Apparently he's injured too.  Maybe he IS the right fit for us after all....

Nope.  Too many challenges and too much cost to make a trade today.  We have a TON of draft capital.  Sit on it, and spend it in the drafts, rebuild the right way.  Stop looking for the "quick fix", it never works for loser teams like us, the Browns or the WFT.

I'm nervous about signing Pittsburgh WRs to big money. Seems everyone they plug into that role excels--Mike Wallace, Santonio, AB, Juju--Big Ben and the system seems to be very friendly. Once the player leaves Pittsburgh, they're never the same guy. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

I'm nervous about signing Pittsburgh WRs to big money. Seems everyone they plug into that role excels--Mike Wallace, Santonio, AB, Juju--Big Ben and the system seems to be very friendly. Once the player leaves Pittsburgh, they're never the same guy.

Just ask the obvious question:  Why would a very well run franchise value picks over the player, and why would they trade him now (at 2-0 mid season) when he will get them at least a 3rd round pick when he walks in free agency. 

Answer those objectively, and you'll know why the deal isn't good for us long term.

• Post of the Week 1

JD's draft acumen gets an incomplete at this point. Big Ticket looks like a winner and I like Perine but RB's are fungible. The rest of them are very much tbd. You guys act like draft picks are sure things. Very much a crapshoot.

Not looking for a quick fix but not afraid to spend Woody's money either. JD doesn't get a bonus for how far under the cap we are (I hope).

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jethead said:

JD's draft acumen gets an incomplete at this point. Big Ticket looks like a winner and I like Perine but RB's are fungible. The rest of them are very much tbd.

I agree.

Just now, Jethead said:

You guys act like draft picks are sure things. Very much a crapshoot.

They are the single most valuable asset any NFL can have for building a winner.

Just now, Jethead said:

Not looking for a quick fix but not afraid to spend Woody's money either. JD doesn't get a bonus for how far under the cap we are (I hope).

It's not about money.

It's about the future, building right, and not overpaying for a #2 WR who has been injury prone in the foolish hopes that he is going to come here and be some special #1 WR with a bad QB and no other decent WR's around.  It's about not dreaming that a guy like him would ever think about resigning long-term here given his superior options (and at no real loss of money unless we vastly overpay him) and the fact our Coach is on the way out, and our team is horrific in the passing game.

There is NO reason to sell our future for this pipe dream fantasy.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Why would a champion-level Franchise like the Steelers want to dump a guy like, say, Schuster then, if he's such a valuable asset?  Why wouldn't they be trying to resign him? 

Because they're projected to be $16M over the cap in 2021, prior to re-signing other key guys like 2 of their starting OL, James Conner, and Bud Dupree.

They're 100 % going to let him walk in free agency.  So unless they think they're making a SB run (its possible they think they will), they may consider trying to get what they can out of him at the trade deadline rather than settling for a 2022 compensatory pick.

Smith-Schuster isn't off to a great start to this season, either.  Diontae Johnson has clearly been the WR1 thru 2 games, and rookie Chase Claypool already had a great game in Week 2.

Personally I'd much rather go after Allen Robinson than Smith-Schuster.  The Bears aren't a contender but are also tight in cap space ($8M in project cap space, with Trubisky, Cohen, their starting G, OLB, DE and SS hitting free agency) so they'd be much more willing to part with him with a pre-deadline trade.  Robinson is also a bonafide outside guy whereas Smith-Schuster is best in the slot.  Lastly, trading/signing Steelers' WRs who shake loose never works out well for the team that acquires him, with the lone exception being Emmanuel Sanders.

But beggars can't be choosers so I'll take either.  Trading for one of them at the deadline, and signing them to an extension as part of the deal, would be a decent plan considering that we might not be able to win an offseason bidding war for either WR.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Trading for one of them at the deadline, and signing them to an extension as part of the deal, would be a decent plan considering that we might not be able to win an offseason bidding war for either WR.

Agree to disagree.  IMO it's the same old too little too late, overpay-in-desperation that had led us absolutely nowhere. 

You don't pay for what you can get for nothing in the next offseason unless it's the final piece to a potential Super Bowl run.  And he isn't.  If you're worried you can't afford him in the offseason, then you can't afford him now.  Only a certified idiot would get traded to the stinky Jets and immediately sign an extension to stay here, when they could hit the open market where, as you just said, we might not be able to afford him anyway.

For once I hope (and I think) we have a GM who won't bow to fan pressure, and will stand firm, hold his priceless draft assets, and build through the draft.  If we're actually doing it right for a change, I am content to suffer through this season.  

• Upvote 1