Trevor Talk

JetBlue

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

A rookie Peyton Manning would have been barbecued by this fanbase and the NY media

A rookie Payton Manning (in 1998, a harder era for passing than today) threw for 3,739 Yards, 26TD's and 28 INT's (alot of INT's, no doubt).

He followed that up in year 2 with 4,135 yards and 26 TD's and 15 INT's.  He went 13-3.

And in his third year, 4,413 yards, 33 TD's and 15 INT's.  He went 10-6.  He didn't miss a single game all three years.

Putting that into Jets perspective, it would be the best rookie season of any Jets QB in Jets History, ranking 3rd best all-time for the Jets in passing yards and TD passes. 

His second year would be close to the best single season for ANY Jets QB in Jets history. 

And his third year would be THE best season of any Jets QB in Jets history.

No, lol, I don't think anyone would BBQ a Jets QB who performed/produced like that.  They'd bitch about the INT's in year one, sure, rightfully so.  And not much else.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Warfish said:

A rookie Payton Manning (in 1998, a harder era for passing than today) threw for 3,739 Yards, 26TD's and 28 INT's (alot of INT's, no doubt).

He followed that up in year 2 with 4,135 yards and 26 TD's and 15 INT's.  He went 13-3.

And in his third year, 4,413 yards, 33 TD's and 15 INT's.  He went 10-6.  He didn't miss a single game all three years.

Putting that into Jets perspective, it would be the best rookie season of any Jets QB in Jets History. 

His second year would be close to the best single season for ANY Jets QB in Jets history. 

No, lol, I don't think anyone would BBQ a Jets QB who performed/produced like that.  They'd bitch about the INT's in year one, sure, rightfully so.  And not much else.

Sam is throwing to Arena league WRs.  The hysteria you guys are going through is laughable.  This Coach and GM would get any young QB killed

We just had a deep WR draft. How did that work out. And have you been watching Seattle this season. That team is challenging for the SB and at a minimum  goes deep into the playoffs. The first we got from them next season will amount to and early 2nd. So far JD hasn't proven he can draft past the first round unless Mims gets those rubber bands he calls legs healthy and turns into a legit WR. That is why I don't think we will come out of the draft with anything of value except another QB if we take Lawrence. 

Don't get me wrong, i like JD and I think he is going to get us players but it won't  happen overnight.  Lawrence  will also be on a team devoid of talent for a year or 2. 

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Sam is throwing to Arena league WRs.  The hysteria you guys are going through is laughable.  This Coach and GM would get any young QB killed

Um, that's not what you posted or what I responded to.....non sequitur?

So we'll pencil you in as a "No" on Lawrence then.  

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Putting that into Jets perspective, it would be the best rookie season of any Jets QB in Jets History. 

No trust me Jets fans would have bitched and moaned he's a turnover machine and would have labeled him a bust year 1 . It's what they do best 

56 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Did you forget we have two number one picks next season?  I think we also have an extra 3rd rounder.  Next draft should also be deep in receivers especially top end receivers in the first few rounds.  No way after season like this that JD doesn't address WR in the draft, plus another OL or two.   Rather than make the same mistake Mac did, we are in position with both an abundance of draft picks and cap space to BUILD around a Lawrence right out of the gate.  He will not have to spend two or three years getting killed with no weapons to speak of.     I trust JD to build around HIS choice for qb much more than I ever did with Mac, who was a ******* idiot.   

Darnold is auditioning this season for his future with this team.  If he steps it up, great, if not, in today's NFL you don't marry yourself to a QB just because he was taken high (look at the Cardinals, they picked Rosen, realized he was a mistake and took Murray THE VERY NEXT YEAR.  How is that working out so far?).    If we have a chance to pick the consensus next great quarterback, then you take him and trade Darnold for picks if you can; and you don't look back.  

We just had a deep WR draft. How did that work out. And have you been watching Seattle this season. That team is challenging for the SB and at a minimum  goes deep into the playoffs. The first we got from them next season will amount to and early 2nd. So far JD hasn't proven he can draft past the first round unless Mims gets those rubber bands he calls legs healthy and turns into a legit WR. That is why I don't think we will come out of the draft with anything of value except another QB if we take Lawrence. 

Don't get me wrong, i like JD and I think he is going to get us players but it won't  happen overnight.  Lawrence  will also be on a team devoid of talent for a year or 2. 

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If you say so.  I think it's a perennially loser mentality for a perennially loser franchise.

"Learning to win" isn't a thing.  Especially not for the current, 2020 Jets, which will have turnover of approximately 40-45 % of the roster next season.  Even if the Jets perform well and win some games down the stretch, nearly half of the guys on the current roster won't be here to build on that in 2021.

Being a perennial loser has been due to poor drafting, not a "loser's mentality".  Draft well and we'll win.  Higher picks lead to better chances of getting hits on those picks.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

No trust me Jets fans would have bitched and moaned he's a turnover machine and would have labeled him a bust year 1 . It's what they do best 

Sure, third best season ever for a Jets QB as a rookie, and Jets Fans would complain.

Maybe, just maybe, the Universe is giving Jets Fans exactly what they deserve.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Higher picks lead to better chances of getting hits on those picks.

Then by logical extension you should root for losing every single game from now until we have enough talent to compete for a title. 

Any win before that point, by your view, is counter productive, as it lowers your picks.

Enjoy yourself with that mindset.  

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Then by logical extension you should root for losing every single game from now until we have enough talent to compete for a title. 

Any win before that point, by your view, is counter productive, as it lowers your picks.

Enjoy yourself with that mindset.  

It increases your chances.  It doesn't mean picking lower means you're destined to fail on those picks.  

In a lost season, I absolutely see merit in rooting for losses.  We're not going to the playoffs, so I'd much rather pick 1st than 6th in every round. 

In 2021 I will not be rooting for losses, because I see that as a year this team finally begins to compete.  I also think we'll have a new QB under center.

What you think passes for strong logic is astounding.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Putting that into Jets perspective, it would be the best rookie season of any Jets QB in Jets History, ranking 3rd best all-time for the Jets in passing yards and TD passes. 

Dont let facts get in the way of a good narrative. Jets fans are pessimistic and critical, and there is no reason for them to be that way 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Over the last 8 games last season, Darnold's numbers looked like this:

• 243 yards per game
  • 13 TDs
  • 1.5 % INT % (INTs per attempt)
  • 7.3 Yards per Attempt

Extrapolated to a full season, this would have been his league rankings:

• 243 yards per game:  18th
  • 26 TDs:  t-8th (with 5 other QBs)
  • 1.5 % INT %:  t-10th
  • 7.3 Yards per Attempt:  t-15th

At his best, Darnold is about average.

You can't use those stats in a vaccuum. On the plus side, we didn't play the greatest teams. On the downside the Darnold had less time to throw than any QB in the NFL AND threw the most TDS in the NFL scrambling. Just not enough info yet to determine what Darnold is. Look at Carr. Looked like a worldbeater with weapons, was close to being benched for Nathan frickin Peterman when he had none.

This week Sam will play without:

1. #RB

2 #1 outside receiver Perriman

3. #2 Outside receiver Smith

4. #3 Outside receiver (Mims)

5. #1 Slot receiver Crowder

6. #2 slot receiver Berrios

7. #1 RT

8. #1 Center

9. #1 RG

I mean the Jets are close to playing their 3rd string players. How can any QB show anything in that environment?

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You can't use those stats in a vaccuum. 

lol stop it.  Darnold apologists are the ones using those stats in a vacuum, and they have been for the last 9 months.

I picked a data set that made Darnold look as good as possible, and he still came out as average.  

Want context?  5 of those 8 games were against defenses that ranked outside of the top 25 in the league.  That's the context of those stats.

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

If we land #1 we take Trevor, and I still believe in Sam. You’d be stupid not to make that pick though.

I think the only real competition we’ll face is from NYG. We look like the only 2-win teams in football. The others all look capable of 3+ wins.

Then we take Justin Fields.  

8 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Then we take Justin Fields.  

Nope.  Not only is he going to make a rash decision and come out too early, that Ohio State system doesn't translate well to the pro game.  I'd rather roll with Sam if that's what we're left with.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Nope.  Not only is he going to make a rash decision and come out too early, that Ohio State system doesn't translate well to the pro game.  I'd rather roll with Sam if that's what we're left with.

Draft Jamar Chase and sign a couple free agents WRs

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He has no choice.  He's the interim coach.  He is granted that position only under the terms of what the GM lays out.  Otherwise he can be fired as well.  

Do what the GM asks and he'll give his next team a great recommendation.  

Not sure if I'm completely sold... the best recommendation is wins... although it didn't work out so great for Gregg Williams, so I admit you might be onto something.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If you say so.  I think it's a perennially loser mentality for a perennially loser franchise.

Nope, it is wanting this team to finally get it right and stop striving for mediocrity year after year.  A loser mentality is actually thinking going 6-10 or 7-9 every year is winning. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Nope, it is wanting this team to finally get it right and stop striving for mediocrity year after year.  A loser mentality is actually thinking going 6-10 or 7-9 every year is winning. 

We both want the same thing.

We disagree on the route to get there.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It increases your chances.  It doesn't mean picking lower means you're destined to fail on those picks.  

In a lost season, I absolutely see merit in rooting for losses.  We're not going to the playoffs, so I'd much rather pick 1st than 6th in every round. 

In 2021 I will not be rooting for losses, because I see that as a year this team finally begins to compete.  I also think we'll have a new QB under center.

What you think passes for strong logic is astounding.

My conversion to dark sider.

1998 up to AFC championship - we can win any game

Game 1, 1999 - we are not a team of destiny, we're going to have to work for this.

Pennington years - damn if he could stay healthy we could have something special

Drafting Sanchez - Don't love the guy but he's raw (only 1 year as starter, smart, looks good shirtless--hat tip @JoeWillie) maybe he can grow to be the guy

Drafting Geno - this guy has red flags all over the place but hey drafting a guy who was considered a potential #1 a year earlier in the 2nd round, good risk/reward

Drafting Hack - WTF is this team doing?

Passing on Watson/Mahomes - Dios Mio.

Drafting Darnold - OK, Jets might've gotten lucky as Hell here

Bowles - Team clearly not going anywhere with this guy but still root for wins because this team needs some confidence and what's the difference between picking #3 or #6 when we have our QB anyway?

Gase - Root for losses.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

This week will be a blowout. The Jets are trotting out quite possibly the worst starting lineup the NFL has seen in quite some years 

I'm trying to think of a worse roster. 

All of the historically bad teams that we have had since I have been a fan were more talented than the group we will play with on Sunday.