2021 Draft Day Scenario WWYD?

WWYD?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Make the Trade or Pick Trevor Lawrence?

• Make the Trade (1.1 for 1.3, 2.3 & 3.3)
    • Pick Trevor Lawrence

Look back over the last 20 years, the Johnson era, at what the Jets did with their first round draft picks.

They are much more likely to bust or to be traded than to be given a large second contract.

The Johnsons hate giving their draft picks those types of contracts, but seem happier giving them to players like Mosley and Trumaine.

Look at the names of players run out who could have been extended (ignore the busts):

Abraham, Vilma, Moss, Revis (to TB, the right move), Leo, Adams.

Who got extended? Wilkerson, Sanchez, Ferguson (smart, which is why Woody's kid's nickname is Brick and Mangold).  Both of those contracts lasted too long, and Brick had the honor to retire.

I am not seeing the Johnsons extending Darnold.  They will trade him if he can be replaced. 

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

to move up 2 slots? doubt it.

We could trade down to 3, take Ja'Maar Chase, CB or Edge with our second first, C/CB/Edge with our two seconds. 

We moved from 6 to 3 with no guarantee at all of who we were picking and had to give up a bunch of 2nd rounders.

They would have to pay more than that to get the guy they want at #1 overall.

I went with pick Lawrence but it’s not quite that simple.  It all depends on how darnolds season finishes. The jets can earn the first with darnold still looking good. If that’s the case then they should trade out. If darnold is bad then draft Lawrence. But even here it depends on how this college season play out.  Maybe Lawrence is the real deal but this season could show some regression.  The thing too it’s not a bad thing to bring in top notch players even if the position is already filled.  Right now I don’t see a lock on any jets position except for Becton at left tackle.

To me the two main things that drive me to make the trade are this.

• The roster is not setup for any QB to succeed at the moment.
  • Darnold is talented and could be successful if put in a better scenario.

So even if you make the trade and Darnold busts, the roster should be in much better shape for whoever the next guy is. If you throw another rookie into a garbage scenario, there's a much bigger bust potential than if they came into a more well rounded roster.

• Upvote 1

There would be no way the Jets would trade out of #1. Considering the hype of Lawrence you're not going to trade out of the opportunity to draft him and have that come back and bite you as a GM. Like he could be a colossal bust but you have to just take that risk because if he succeeds elsewhere you're never going to live that down. And the fanbase is starting to move on from Darnold it only makes sense to start over especially if we have the worst record in the league.

• Upvote 2

You usually need to have a combo of suck and luck to secure the number 1 pick.  I mean we only have achieved it once that’s how rare it is (and we picked a WR with it). Anyway, we are so bad this year we won’t need any luck locking up the top spot.  The closest we have ever come to being aggressive in drafting a QB is Sam,  and we thought it was to lock up the third choice at QB. If we have shot at a first choice QB we better take him and his rookie contract and throw a party.  I’m sick of taking the best player that inexplicably falls to us draft day method.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Joe Douglas does not represent the Jets' history.

If he sucks at picking QB's, the franchise will never succeed anyways.  Live or die with his pick at QB.  Kicking the can down the road is never a good option.

If he doesn't LIKE the top QB's in this class, that's another story entirely.  Only then would it make sense to trade down.  

Agree to disagree.  

Build the team, then get the QB.  Not vice versa.

But sure, you can keep doing what we've been doing, drafting the flashy kid and hoping he can take a dogsh*t team someplace (he can't).

Lawrence will be a horrible QB on this Jets team.

Built the team, then get the QB.  Trade the hypothetical Lawrence Pick for a haul, draft the talent required to support any QB.

Or whatever, I'm having trouble caring enough today to keep arguing these stupid debates.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agree to disagree.  

Build the team, then get the QB.  Not vice versa.

But sure, you can keep doing what we've been doing, drafting the flashy kid and hoping he can take a dogsh*t team someplace (he can't).

Lawrence will be a horrible QB on this Jets team.

Built the team, then get the QB.  Trade the hypothetical Lawrence Pick for a haul, draft the talent required to support any QB.

Or whatever, I'm having trouble caring enough today to keep arguing these stupid debates.

I accept your submission.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Two weeks in and we're at it again.

Really just awful being a Jet fan.

I mean it’s just the reality at this point. If the Jets win a few games and aren’t in the position to draft #1 than the narrative will change. Until that happen the Trevor Lawrence talk is going to be front and center 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

After a miserable season where the team continues to look like complete trash on both sides of the ball Adam Gase is mercifully relieved of his duties and the Jets hire the next greatest thing to run their squad. Picking at #1 overall Trevor Lawrence is staring them in the face. 

The Panthers are picking #3 overall and make the following offer:

1.3, 2.3 & 3.3 for #1 overall.

Jets existing picks
1.1, 1.30
3.1, 3.29

If the trade is accepted, it gives the Jets 7 of the first 100 picks in the 2021 draft.

New Jets picks
1.3, 1.30
2.1, 2.3
3.1, 3.3, 3.29

If they throw in another 1st the following year then I make the trade assuming Douglas has assessed that he can win with Darnold and a better HC if he upgrades the rosters and adds players who are actually capable of starting.

• Upvote 1

You take the generational talent.

I love Sam - still think he can be a pro bowl caliber Qb. He got the rawest of deals being drafted by this franchise... I will genuinely wish him well wherever he goes. 

Sam was a #1 pick caliber prospect... if the browns picked him at 1 people would say it was solid. He wasn’t a weak #1 pick that some people projected to slip. He was a consensus totally standard #1 pick with some people thinking he was even more special.

TL is not in that category. He is in the Elway/Manning/Luck category. Doesn’t mean he will be a hit... it’s just a different level of prospect. You don’t pass up a generational prospect for a great prospect... ask the Portland Trailblazers about that 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

You take the generational talent.

I love Sam - still think he can be a pro bowl caliber Qb. He got the rawest of deals being drafted by this franchise... I will genuinely wish him well wherever he goes. 

Sam was a #1 pick caliber prospect... if the browns picked him at 1 people would say it was solid. He wasn’t a weak #1 pick that some people projected to slip. He was a consensus totally standard #1 pick with some people thinking he was even more special.

TL is not in that category. He is in the Elway/Manning/Luck category. Doesn’t mean he will be a hit... it’s just a different level of prospect. You don’t pass up a generational prospect for a great prospect... ask the Portland Trailblazers about that 

A guy named Sam was also involved in that one.  :)

3 hours ago, Ben Had said:

If the Jets end up with the #1 overall pick Darnold wont be worth a ham sandwitch...

That's why you keep him and activate that fifth year option.

Let him play year four with all of the new toys that all the extra picks from Jamal brought and hopefully with a good coaching staff.

That will rebound his value and give Trevor a redshirt year to learn.

Win Win.

I know everyone will complain about the cap hit, but they aren't spending to the cap anyway.  There's plenty of room.

• Upvote 1

If we are in need of a QB next year, which certainly is likely if we end up with the number 1 pick, then you pick the QB.  You don't get cute and trade back and hope to get your 2nd or 3rd choice.  Whether it is Lawrence or FIelds, and you can get them without putting together a package of picks, then take your guy.  We would have two more picks in the top 33 and 5 in the top 100 to build around our gyut.

Take the QB.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

If we're picking #1, Sam Darnold had a terrible season and is definitely not the guy. When, if ever, has a team with a true franchise QB finished with the first pick in the draft (injuries not withstanding)? 

You take Trevor 100% of the time

Troy Aikman Cowboys were horrible in his 1st year. 

9 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

If we are bad enough to land the number one overall pick with Darnold under centre, then you have to take the QB and see what you can get for trading Darnold away.

If we land the number one pick and Darnold is injured during the season, then it becomes a whole lot more complicated.

Not really.  If it's a serious, season-ending type of injury, we might not be able to trade him until 2021, but it wouldn't prevent us from taking a QB at all.  An injury to Darnold would mean the guy just can't stay healthy, and its time to move on regardless.

You take Lawrence and trade Sam. That equals out to 2#1 picks (your own and the one you get for Sam). Even if you’re offered 3 #1’s, it wouldn’t entice me to make that trade. If we’re picking #1, then Sam has undergone serious repercussions from Gaseititis and would beg to be traded elsewhere to some west coast team. 

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm very confident he'd be successful

I am too.

As much as I believe if the team ends up drafting #1 they kind of have to take Lawrence...I think Darnold needs another year without Gase for a ton of reasons. Tannehill rebounding post Gase, not a big deal burning a year in the fifth year option...

More than anything - with this coaching staff and supporting cast as is, if a new guy gets brought in he’s set up to fail. Get a new coach in, upgrade the supporting cast, and see how Darnold is. If he flops then fine, you’ve confirmed it, he competes with the rookie for a year, and you now have an infrastructure in place around the rookie.

32 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

You take Lawrence and trade Sam. That equals out to 2#1 picks (your own and the one you get for Sam). Even if you’re offered 3 #1’s, it wouldn’t entice me to make that trade. If we’re picking #1, then Sam has undergone serious repercussions from Gaseititis and would beg to be traded elsewhere to some west coast team. 

Trade Lawrence to the Colts for their 1st and Quentin Nelson

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Getting a #1 for Sam is a pipe dream. It would require such a strong performance the rest of this year that we wouldn't be picking #1 and may even consider picking up Sam's 5th year option. 

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

I make the trade.

The Jets suck at drafting high QB's.  We may be close to the Browns to being THE worst at drafting QB's high.

Honestly, I stockpile picks, stockpile a deep roster, and plug first a Veteran QB (a la the Colts) then a late 1st or 2nd round QB into the #1 QB job.

I'm done with the hype of players like Darnold, the modern Tim Couch.  Build a team, then plug in a QB, not vice versa.

But honestly, who knows, we're all desperately grasping at straws right now, just look at the pathetic list of threads on the first page today......

I voted to take Lawrence, but to be honest, I think you are right. I’m not sure why we would expect any young QB to have success with this dogsh*t roster/organization - especially one burdened with as many expectations as Lawrence will be 

I would have to trade pick but get more in return for the simple reason that Sam really doesn’t have NFL caliber personnel on the team as it stands. Have to see if he can become an above average QB given better talent to surround him and also better coaching to try and get him out of his bad habits such as throwing off his back foot    as someone else stated he reminds me of Todd when he just uses arm and not stepping into throw. As we all know his o line isn’t the greatest which maybe the cause of his inability to step into and point left foot at his desired target which will improve accuracy so with all the extra picks need to bolster o line get some NFL caliber receivers and running back. Then you can really make a more accurate decision on whether Sam is the QB of the future. If it turns out that even with better quality receivers , offensive lineman and better coaching and he’s still makes the same mistakes then move on but this time the skill position players will be there which will be good for  the next franchise QB to succeed. Any unused extra picks has to go for a speed rusher and lockdown corner. This scenario there will be no excuses for mediocrity and the team can get out of this black hole we’ve been in for the past decade ( The Herschel Walker trade transformed the Cowboys from a crappie team to a perennial playoff team and two time super bowl champion)