Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Losmeister

The OC/QB relationship

Recommended Posts

We know Manning/Gase Denver.

Popular current theory: Gase held Tannehill back at Miami.

THere is Joe Philbin/Aaron Rodgers at GB during the peak of Rodgers 2009-2012 he was probowlx2,all pro and a SB winner.

Then Joe Philbin goes to HC Miami and with Ryan Tannehill goes slightly under .500.

Then Adam Gase comes and goes slightly under .500 overall, and slightly over .500 with Tannehill.

Now that Tannehill has increased his efficiency in a HUGE way, its b/c Titans sprinkled some magic Arthur Smith dust on him?

Or maybe its b/c you have the RB who leads the league in YAC, and the WR who leads the league in YAC?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people dwell too much on gase and the doltfins. Tannehill only played one season for gase and did pretty well.  He goes to the Titans where vrabel has created a pretty nice ground and pound team.  IMO just about any Qb can thrive if they have a good run game.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rangerous said:

I think people dwell too much on gase and the doltfins. Tannehill only played one season for gase and did pretty well.  He goes to the Titans where vrabel has created a pretty nice ground and pound team.  IMO just about any Qb can thrive if they have a good run game.

See Sanchez.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McCarthy probably gets the credit for Rodgers. 

Manning... credit goes to Tom Moore. 

Let’s stop pretending Tanneshill is some sort of elite QB, what did he have 150 total passing yards through 2 playoff games? Tennessee has the best running attack in the NFL to carry that offense. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

and the Bears? The Broncos without Manning? I don't get why people bend over backwards to make excuses for this guy. 

Please point to 1 success he's had on offense when Peyton Manning wasn't actually the offensive coordinator. Just 1. 

Future Visine spokesman 

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Manning essentially ran the offense and made tons of line calls all the time.  Darnold has already said he has no freedom to make certain changes to calls.

Tannehill did so good under gase that they gave up on him and shipped him out of town.

The fins had guys like devante parker and gesicki who are doing well now that did bad under gase.

All of gases awful track record is on top of the eyeball test, just watching the jets offense, play design, play calls etc.

He is pathetically terrible and the sooner he is gone the better.

Don’t forget Kenyan Drake

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

McCarthy probably gets the credit for Rodgers. 

Manning... credit goes to Tom Moore. 

Let’s stop pretending Tanneshill is some sort of elite QB, what did he have 150 total passing yards through 2 playoff games? Tennessee has the best running attack in the NFL to carry that offense. 

 

Heathen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

and the Bears? The Broncos without Manning? I don't get why people bend over backwards to make excuses for this guy. 

Please point to 1 success he's had on offense when Peyton Manning wasn't actually the offensive coordinator. Just 1. 

How about his first doltfins season with tannehill and there some seasons with cutler.  If you want to use something like this as your criteria to judge then go look at littlejoshy who has really only dealt with Brady or Schi##y who is now with Wilson after bouncing around.  I’m no gase lover but a lot of this criticism is baseless beyond we don’t like the guys name or his oc or his eyes look funny or some other personal attribute.  The talking heads don’t like him because he doesn’t tell them a thing so they start making things up.

i suggest people should just sit back, enjoy the weather while it’s nice, and just not get worked up over this garbage until we see if the team progresses or goes down hill.  It’s a long season and it’s not like the dolts are world beaters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, rangerous said:

How about his first doltfins season with tannehill and there some seasons with cutler.  If you want to use something like this as your criteria to judge then go look at littlejoshy who has really only dealt with Brady or Schi##y who is now with Wilson after bouncing around.  I’m no gase lover but a lot of this criticism is baseless beyond we don’t like the guys name or his oc or his eyes look funny or some other personal attribute.  The talking heads don’t like him because he doesn’t tell them a thing so they start making things up.

i suggest people should just sit back, enjoy the weather while it’s nice, and just not get worked up over this garbage until we see if the team progresses or goes down hill.  It’s a long season and it’s not like the dolts are world beaters.

He sucked then, too.

Points per drive (per Football Outsiders) in Adam Gase's career to date (as OC/HC only):

  • 2015 (CHI):  1.93 (# 17 in NFL)
  • 2016 (MIA):  1.81 (# 21)
  • 2017 (MIA):  1.42 (# 28)
  • 2018 (MIA):  1.61 (# 28)  
  • 2019 (NYJ):  1.29 (# 32)
  • 2020 - thru Week 2 (NYJ):  1.43 (# 32)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rangerous said:

How about his first doltfins season with tannehill and there some seasons with cutler.  

You can't make this up. You're using a year which Gase's offense was ranked 23rd in the league as an example of his success. 

 

You do realize his offense have *NEVER* been better than the bottom third of the NFL, right? It sure seems like you don't. 

So what is it? Is your threshold for success...abject failure or were you just unaware that Gase has never had an offense that wasn't rock bottom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He sucked then, too.

Points per drive (per Football Outsiders) in Adam Gase's career to date (as OC/HC only):

  • 2015 (CHI):  1.93 (# 17 in NFL)
  • 2016 (MIA):  1.81 (# 21)
  • 2017 (MIA):  1.42 (# 28)
  • 2018 (MIA):  1.61 (# 28)  
  • 2019 (NYJ):  1.29 (# 32)
  • 2020 - thru Week 2 (NYJ):  1.43 (# 32)

wonder what Joe Philbins was with Tannehill @ Miami...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

wonder what Joe Philbins was with Tannehill @ Miami...

* 2012 (MIA): 1.51 (#26th in NFL) - Rookie Year for Tannehill so he beat Gase's rookie year with Darnold

* 2013 (MIA): 1.60 (#22nd in NFL) - Looks like he's going to do better in the 2nd year too

* 2014 (MIA): 2.11 (#10th in NFL) - ahahahahaha

Oh, wow, look at that...10th and improved every year. Didn't realize Philbin was that much better than Gase. Too bad their defense nosedived with Philbin there I guess. Didn't realize Tannehill was better before Gase and not just after either. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

You can't make this up. You're using a year which Gase's offense was ranked 23rd in the league as an example of his success. 

 

You do realize his offense have *NEVER* been better than the bottom third of the NFL, right? It sure seems like you don't. 

So what is it? Is your threshold for success...abject failure or were you just unaware that Gase has never had an offense that wasn't rock bottom?

The doltfins made the playoffs.  Some people get so fixated on these Sabre metrics for football that they forget about the win loss records.  In the nfl it’s all about w-l. And the reason why Sabre metrics don’t work is that there are too many variables that determine how well a player is playing.  As we have seen with the jets. In 2015 and with a healthy decker and Marshall combination, fitzy puts up best career numbers.the next season decker goes down and Marshall is dinged up and the team is in the gutter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

The doltfins made the playoffs.  Some people get so fixated on these Sabre metrics for football that they forget about the win loss records.  In the nfl it’s all about w-l. And the reason why Sabre metrics don’t work is that there are too many variables that determine how well a player is playing.  As we have seen with the jets. In 2015 and with a healthy decker and Marshall combination, fitzy puts up best career numbers.the next season decker goes down and Marshall is dinged up and the team is in the gutter.

 

And then what happened?

Fine then, if math is gay and you want to dismiss it, let it all boil down to W-L record. 

Adam Gase has a 30-36 record as an NFL Head Coach.  He'll be 30-37 after this week, and then 30-38 the week after that.  He lost his only playoff game 30-12 to the Steelers.  

He sucks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 8:50 PM, Losmeister said:

We know Manning/Gase Denver.

Popular current theory: Gase held Tannehill back at Miami.

THere is Joe Philbin/Aaron Rodgers at GB during the peak of Rodgers 2009-2012 he was probowlx2,all pro and a SB winner.

Then Joe Philbin goes to HC Miami and with Ryan Tannehill goes slightly under .500.

Then Adam Gase comes and goes slightly under .500 overall, and slightly over .500 with Tannehill.

Now that Tannehill has increased his efficiency in a HUGE way, its b/c Titans sprinkled some magic Arthur Smith dust on him?

Or maybe its b/c you have the RB who leads the league in YAC, and the WR who leads the league in YAC?

 

Injuries held Tannehill back. He was on track for respectable performances each year with Gase, Tannehill CARRIED Gase and Gase got exposed every game Tannehill was hurt. Tannehill’s current success was the easiest prediction in sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 4:19 PM, jetstream23 said:

Darnold_Dowell_Loggains.thumb.jpg.5f5dfdb1c91744c99fcd5c3dda2e5a8b.jpg

The most watchable thing on this team is the helmet 

ETA must be nice money Loggains is making. I could do that job 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

And then what happened?

Fine then, if math is gay and you want to dismiss it, let it all boil down to W-L record. 

Adam Gase has a 30-36 record as an NFL Head Coach.  He'll be 30-37 after this week, and then 30-38 the week after that.  He lost his only playoff game 30-12 to the Steelers.  

He sucks.

Okay I get it. You hate gase. Well keep on advocating a revolving door with jets coaches and you’ll see what you get.  I will hazard to say that the spot where the jets are starting from is worse than if they were an expansion team because of all the dead wood still left to cut.  It takes time and changing a coach without any reason other than some fans thinks he sucks is no reason.  If the team had a prime time player base I might think differently but until then I won’t be advocating launching gase, at least not in mid season.

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Okay I get it. You hate gase. Well keep on advocating a revolving door with jets coaches and you’ll see what you get.  I will hazard to say that the spot where the jets are starting from is worse than if they were an expansion team because of all the dead wood still left to cut.  It takes time and changing a coach without any reason other than some fans thinks he sucks is no reason.  If the team had a prime time player base I might think differently but until then I won’t be advocating launching gase, at least not in mid season.

 

Yes, I hate that he is a terrible coach who doesn't win.  Know who else hated Gase?  Dolphins fans.  Then he got fired there.  And we hired him.

I don't want a "revolving door" at coach.  I want a competent coach for a long time.  Gase isn't it.  

You and SAR I have fun.  Hit the lights when you're finished.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rangerous said:

The doltfins made the playoffs.  Some people get so fixated on these Sabre metrics for football that they forget about the win loss records.  In the nfl it’s all about w-l. And the reason why Sabre metrics don’t work is that there are too many variables that determine how well a player is playing.  As we have seen with the jets. In 2015 and with a healthy decker and Marshall combination, fitzy puts up best career numbers.the next season decker goes down and Marshall is dinged up and the team is in the gutter.

Oh, even better. You're using the one year he managed to make the playoffs off his defense. I won't even get into how they made the playoffs despite Gase.. but you're advocating that someone who is successful at his job 25% of the time and has gotten worse at it every year is successful.

1 year of success gets you 3 straight years of abject failure. What a wonderful world that is to live in...Are you a johnson brother? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jgb said:

Tannehill’s current success was the easiest prediction in sport.

nah. as u say he looked dece here and there. and yes. had injury problems. my poingt isnt to defend gas who i dgaf about.

justthis whole the ocmakes the qb. i dont buy it. except in rarely. i mentioned gannon/johnson under gruden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I want a competent coach for a long time.  Gase isn't it.  

this,

what, to me is strange.  is the amount of bile. bowles didntget half as much.

but then there wasnt the displaced disappointmeht in spending 4 picks on an overrtaed, inexperienced  qb with sh*t fundamentals who is outright scared of contact.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

nah. as u say he looked dece here and there. and yes. had injury problems. my poingt isnt to defend gas who i dgaf about.

justthis whole the ocmakes the qb. i dont buy it. except in rarely. i mentioned gannon/johnson under gruden

I was being humble saying it was an easy call that Tannehill would do what he is doing. But you’re right—very difficult call. I guess I truly am a football genius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 4:27 PM, Beerfish said:

Manning essentially ran the offense and made tons of line calls all the time.  Darnold has already said he has no freedom to make certain changes to calls.

Tannehill did so good under gase that they gave up on him and shipped him out of town.

The fins had guys like devante parker and gesicki who are doing well now that did bad under gase.

All of gases awful track record is on top of the eyeball test, just watching the jets offense, play design, play calls etc.

He is pathetically terrible and the sooner he is gone the better.

I’d argue (and the numbers back it up) Tannehill wasn’t appreciable better than Matt Moore in Gases offense. 
 

The issue with Gases offense is that the league seems to have caught up with it a bit. It’s pretty good when teams are sitting in zone all day like the Cowboys last year cause he can dink and dunk them to death. 
 

Against the Jets teams are blitzing/playing tight man much more frequently and Gase has no answer. Part of it is the players, but Gase also hasn’t done a good enough job helping these guys out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Oh, even better. You're using the one year he managed to make the playoffs off his defense. I won't even get into how they made the playoffs despite Gase.. but you're advocating that someone who is successful at his job 25% of the time and has gotten worse at it every year is successful.

1 year of success gets you 3 straight years of abject failure. What a wonderful world that is to live in...Are you a johnson brother? 

At least acknowledge that in gases second and third seasons as doltfins coach he was without tannehill and had to deal with Matt Moore and jay cutler. Also, gase was not fired as doltfins coach. He quit because he didn’t want to go through their rebuild.  And tannehill was released the year gase left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We know Manning/Gase Denver.
Popular current theory: Gase held Tannehill back at Miami.
THere is Joe Philbin/Aaron Rodgers at GB during the peak of Rodgers 2009-2012 he was probowlx2,all pro and a SB winner.
Then Joe Philbin goes to HC Miami and with Ryan Tannehill goes slightly under .500.
Then Adam Gase comes and goes slightly under .500 overall, and slightly over .500 with Tannehill.
Now that Tannehill has increased his efficiency in a HUGE way, its b/c Titans sprinkled some magic Arthur Smith dust on him?
Or maybe its b/c you have the RB who leads the league in YAC, and the WR who leads the league in YAC?
 
Their rb was leaning toward just status for awhile too. Almost like everyone got better at the same time

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rangerous said:

At least acknowledge that in gases second and third seasons as doltfins coach he was without tannehill and had to deal with Matt Moore and jay cutler. Also, gase was not fired as doltfins coach. He quit because he didn’t want to go through their rebuild.  And tannehill was released the year gase left.

@_@; 

Wow, what warped reality do you live in. Gase was fired. Find me the article that says 'he quit' https://www.nfl.com/news/miami-dolphins-fire-head-coach-adam-gase-0ap3000001006469

You also ignored finding his 1 success on offense without manning because you couldn't do it. 

We get it. You like failure. You think repeated, continued failure is somehow magically going to stop failing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

@_@; 

Wow, what warped reality do you live in. Gase was fired. Find me the article that says 'he quit' https://www.nfl.com/news/miami-dolphins-fire-head-coach-adam-gase-0ap3000001006469

You also ignored finding his 1 success on offense without manning because you couldn't do it. 

We get it. You like failure. You think repeated, continued failure is somehow magically going to stop failing. 

You are entitled to your opinions. Gase’s departure was mutual.  You are very foolish to think a revolving door with coaches will solve a thing.

im sure you watched yesterday’s game. My take is that the jets are missing a lot of pieces and Becton going down didn’t help. Gase called good plays. Darnold hit the hands of his receivers and they dropped a lot of balls.  Want to blame gase for not having the players?  Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2020 at 6:06 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

 

And then what happened?

Fine then, if math is gay and you want to dismiss it, let it all boil down to W-L record. 

Adam Gase has a 30-36 record as an NFL Head Coach.  He'll be 30-37 after this week, and then 30-38 the week after that.  He lost his only playoff game 30-12 to the Steelers.  

He sucks.

That'snot a good record. Doesitmeetthe levelofsuck? Deabtable. Againn,notdefending Gase.

BUtyoucan onlycoachyour WB somanytimesthatthe ballneeds tobethere ON THE BREAK.

Or RED ZONE turnovers?Nope.

Or throw to your right as your moving left into triple coverage? nope.

Sam sucks as much as more than Gase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2020 at 7:23 AM, bealeb319 said:

Their rb was leaning toward just status for awhile too. Almost like everyone got better at the same time

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app
 

Drake has almostthesameexactstats in Zona as he did in MIami.

andnow playing for a QB who is a SERIOUS run threatandgets RPO.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DrakKe00.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

That'snot a good record. Doesitmeetthe levelofsuck? Deabtable. Againn,notdefending Gase.

BUtyoucan onlycoachyour WB somanytimesthatthe ballneeds tobethere ON THE BREAK.

Or RED ZONE turnovers?Nope.

Or throw to your right as your moving left into triple coverage? nope.

Sam sucks as much as more than Gase.

 

Yes but Gase sucked in Miami too.  While I don't think Darnold will ever be a successful QB1, he can be a decent journeyman/QB2 option.  Adam Gase should never have anything to do with coaching a football team.  Not as a HC, OC, QB Coach, or Consultant.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, rangerous said:

You are entitled to your opinions. Gase’s departure was mutual.  You are very foolish to think a revolving door with coaches will solve a thing.

im sure you watched yesterday’s game. My take is that the jets are missing a lot of pieces and Becton going down didn’t help. Gase called good plays. Darnold hit the hands of his receivers and they dropped a lot of balls.  Want to blame gase for not having the players?  Good luck.

Yep, sticking with Bowles was the right call. Give every coach 5 years. 

Gase has been calling the right plays for for six straight years now and his offenses have ranked at the very bottom of the league. I'm sure 1 more year is all he needs to get it together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Yes but Gase sucked in Miami too.  While I don't think Darnold will ever be a successful QB1, he can be a decent journeyman/QB2 option.  Adam Gase should never have anything to do with coaching a football team.  Not as a HC, OC, QB Coach, or Consultant.

He was a tad under .500 and his QB1 was out for , what 24 games out of 48? 

Thats not good. Its mediocre. Sam SUCKS. way more than Gase. and Gase is not good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

He was a tad under .500 and his QB1 was out for , what 24 games out of 48? 

Thats not good. Its mediocre. Sam SUCKS. way more than Gase. and Gase is not good. 

Gase is a supposed QB guru and yet Ryan Tannehill had his best years, by far, before and after Gase.

He sucks.  Its debatable who sucks more but Gase is awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...