NFL informs clubs of adjustments to in-stadium audio policy

Jetsfan80

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-informs-clubs-of-adjustments-to-in-stadium-audio-policy

NFL informs clubs of adjustments to in-stadium audio policy

Published: Sep 25, 2020 at 05:04 PM

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook

Around The NFL Writer

After two weeks of trial, the NFL is adjusting its in-stadium audio policy.

The league informed clubs of several updates to the policy, including allowing stadiums with fewer than 2,500 fans to play curated audio up to 80 decibels, and no longer requiring fans with 2,500 or more fans to play curated audio at all, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported.

The league had previously required all stadiums to play stadium-specific, pre-recorded audio it delivered to each club at 70 decibels starting at kickoff, no matter the attendance, with no allowance for raising or lowering levels.

Under the adjusted policy, home clubs with 2,500 or more fans can still choose to use the audio -- known informally as the "murmur" -- and the decibel level must be selected and delivered to the league 90 minutes before kickoff, per Pelissero. The decibel level must also remain the same no matter who possesses the football, with NFL Football Operations monitoring.

Another change in the adjusted policy includes removal of a decibel limit for PA announcements, music, etc., during approved times in the stadium, Pelissero added.

The audio played in the stadium is intended to mimic the sound of a venue filled with fans as the league operates amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, which has limited fan attendance in some stadiums and barred fan attendance entirely in others. It is not the same crowd audio that can be heard on television broadcasts of NFL games, which are controlled separately.

The league adjusted its policy after communicating with teams and receiving feedback, per Pelissero.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

sports leagues should develop an app where viewers can click “cheer” “groan” “boo” “drunken heckle” etc. and the crowd noise would adjust accordingly real time.

The MetLife audio guy would wear out the button for "Boo" and "Drunken heckle" if it were left up to the fans.

• Haha 1

After a couple weeks the thing that screws me up about the TV crowd noise is the sudden increase of cheers for no reason. It caught me a couple times - Usually when a play is over, when you hear a sudden increase in the crowd noise it's because a flag was thrown or there is a scuffle going on off screen that they then cut to. After several plays the past couple weeks I'll hear a sudden cheer from the crowd and look for a flag or some "little after the play activity", etc. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sout0266 said:

My only real complaint about the “crowd noise” is the delay after a tackle.  Sounds terrible when there’s a tackle then two seconds later the cheering starts. 

The noise on the tv broadcast is different from the stadium noise. They are adding to the broadcast separately 

15 hours ago, Sout0266 said:

My only real complaint about the “crowd noise” is the delay after a tackle.  Sounds terrible when there’s a tackle then two seconds later the cheering starts. 

It's been less distracting than I expected it to be. But the fakeness of it was ridiculous when they played some polite, supportive applause when the Jets trotted off the field at halftime down 21-3. The real crowd noise, I suspect, would've been dramatically different. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

it would be interesting to not have any fake noise at all. We would hear the players calls, pads crunching, etc. This is a rare opportunity for that and might as well have experienced it. 

Plus we might be able to pick up voices of player and what they are saying to each other on the field, which probably would make the games way more entertaining, but not necessarily for a family audience.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It also sounds like a sarcastic cheer every time the Jets do something well, given that we're losing in a blowout.  lol.

It is. The NFL has a specifically curated audio track custom made for the Jets, its called "New York Sarcastic Contempt, Snide Remix, Vol. 1"

• Upvote 1